ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy’s Shoulder

Hopefully not too bad. It seemed to bother him all game after the dive to the floor. Constantly flexing it and talking to the bench about it.
I agree. You can tell it bothered him during the game. After the game when team was standing for the Alma Mater song, he continued to flex his arm. Hopefully with some ice and exercise, he ll be fine.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
There is a reason Pike is head coach and I am not…..

With that said he waited way too long to pull the plug on Cliff and Paul. Especially Paul getting banged up.

imagine if Cliff got hurt playing in a game against Clolumbia when we are up 32.

Agree 100%. At about the 7:00 mark I was almost yelling at my TV. Cliff and Paul needed to be done by then.

It’s why I hate the NET and almost prefer the old RPI system where at least style points didn’t impact computer numbers. It’s the only reason I can think of that makes sense considering how bad our computer numbers were last year (and I know that was mostly because of the bad losses but winning big and with efficiency would’ve helped too).

It’s why I hate the NET and almost prefer the old RPI system where at least style points didn’t impact computer numbers. It’s the only reason I can think of that makes sense considering how bad our computer numbers were last year (and I know that was mostly because of the bad losses but winning big and with efficiency would’ve helped too).
thanks for bringing this up. it is relevant and quite frankly i forgot about it.

bart gave Rutgers a decent bump last night.

if running up the score keeps Rutgers out of Dayton....

Would love to hear a reporter ask the question......

Without even referencing Paul or Cliff Carino or anyone can ask....Given that scoring margin indirectly impacts NET ratings would that ever influence you leaving starters on the court a few extra possessions.

The committee needs to be called out for this being a part of the selection decision.

Paul was telling the bench he couldn't raise his left arm into his normal shooting form and they were basically ignoring him. Really bizarre. Hopefully he's just sore and bruised and nothing serious. But it was a head scratcher and a little disappointing the reporters didn't push when Pikiell blew it off.

With that said he waited way too long to pull the plug on Cliff and Paul. Especially Paul getting banged up.

imagine if Cliff got hurt playing in a game against Clolumbia when we are up 32.

I'd think being we are replacing our two leading scorers (and team leaders) from a year ago, getting court time together for the kids expected to be playing big minutes this year would be Coach P's reasoning. Kids like Mag, Dean, Hyatt and obviously the frosh didn't play big roles a year ago. They do need time in actual game action to play together and gel.

Duke (for example) led by 16 at the half and won by 27 and their starters played 33, 32, 29, 26 and 25 minutes. You want kids who haven't played together previously to learn to play together under the lights.

Paul was telling the bench he couldn't raise his left arm into his normal shooting form and they were basically ignoring him. Really bizarre. Hopefully he's just sore and bruised and nothing serious. But it was a head scratcher and a little disappointing the reporters didn't push when Pikiell blew it off.

agree, it was clearly bothering him and he kept playing. Bizarre

Paul said to the coaches that he couldn't finish with his left, that he wasn't able to fully lift up his shoulder.

No doctor here, but I would think it would be one of three things.

Discloated and they popped it back in.

Jammed - sore and stiff

AC Sprain.

Now if it was 1 or 3 I feel like he wouldn't have just went back in the game.

Hopefully some rest and treatment and he'll be fine.

Paul said to the coaches that he couldn't finish with his left, that he wasn't able to fully lift up his shoulder.

Jammed - sore and stiff

AC Sprain.

If it was dislocated we'd know. That's not something you shake off in real time on the court.

I'd think being we are replacing our two leading scorers (and team leaders) from a year ago, getting court time together for the kids expected to be playing big minutes this year would be Coach P's reasoning. Kids like Mag, Dean, Hyatt and obviously the frosh didn't play big roles a year ago. They do need time in actual game action to play together and gel.

Duke (for example) led by 16 at the half and won by 27 and their starters played 33, 32, 29, 26 and 25 minutes. You want kids who haven't played together previously to learn to play together under the lights.

I'll quote my own post and add the following for @Greene Rice FIG:

Do you wish Geo and Myles had 50 additional minutes of court time together during the '20-'21 season so maybe that lob with three minutes to go is three inches lower and Myles finishes the dunk to put us up 10 v UH in the NCAAT? The margin between winning and losing can be that small.

Jammed - sore and stiff

AC Sprain.

Could have also subluxated it (partial dislocation) - it just moved inside the joint and didn't fully dislocate. I've subluxated my kneecaps plenty of times. I've also both subluxated and dislocated my shoulder.

I'll quote my own post and add the following for @Greene Rice FIG:

Do you wish Geo and Myles had 50 additional minutes of court time together during the '20-'21 season so maybe that lob with three minutes to go is three inches lower and Myles finishes the dunk to put us up 10 v UH in the NCAAT? The margin between winning and losing can be that small.
I wish Myles wasn't hurt.

Could have also subluxated it (partial dislocation) - it just moved inside the joint and didn't fully dislocate. I've subluxated my kneecaps plenty of times. I've also both subluxated and dislocated my shoulder.
Hate the derail the thread, but my left shoulder is permanently subluxated from years of throwing. The joint is stretched and the ball doesn't sit firmly in the socket. I've never heard anyone else use this word before aside from my doctor.

Go read the GD post before you shoot your mouth off.
Your original take is that PM is out of control... that’s just a bad take period. Compare his style with the ball to Jacob Young. Paul is methodical, looking for the next advantage. Sometimes that’s a drive and dish and sometimes it’s a shot using good footwork and head fakes. Will the D sometimes collapse on him in the lane causing a difficult shot.. yes but I’ll take a few times a game along with the assists every time. That’s NOT out if control.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'll say this, Paul is nowhere near an "out of control player". That being said, the exact play he got injured on, I have seen him try that move probably 10 times in game, and like 6 of those times have resulted in a turnover. So maybe he should just take that move out of his arsenal

We were all saying that in my section towards end of game. Only thing I can think of is that it appeared Cliff was playing the 4 as woolfolk was playing the 5. Maybe Pike wanted Cliff to get some experience at the 4?

Hate the derail the thread, but my left shoulder is permanently subluxated from years of throwing. The joint is stretched and the ball doesn't sit firmly in the socket. I've never heard anyone else use this word before aside from my doctor.
I need to see an expert to see if I have this. I have very little range of motion and i wonder if it can be fixed with PT or not.

We were all saying that in my section towards end of game. Only thing I can think of is that it appeared Cliff was playing the 4 as woolfolk was playing the 5. Maybe Pike wanted Cliff to get some experience at the 4?
I was thinking also he wanted to limit Reiber's minutes because of actual injury.....but then Reiber finally subbed in for Cliff.

Your original take is that PM is out of control... that’s just a bad take period. Compare his style with the ball to Jacob Young. Paul is methodical, looking for the next advantage. Sometimes that’s a drive and dish and sometimes it’s a shot using good footwork and head fakes. Will the D sometimes collapse on him in the lane causing a difficult shot.. yes but I’ll take a few times a game along with the assists every time. That’s NOT out if control.
My original take was that his diving on the floor was a good competitive play. Go read the post.

I’m not a Dr. but it doesn’t look good. Don’t be surprised if he is not playing for a while

• Haha
Reactions: gregkoko
Don’t know about that diagnosis but for this. Pikiell when asked about Paul said “ Paul’s tough , he’s a tough guy he’ll be fine , inside getting worked on.” Did not sound overly concerned and if it were that severe he would have come out. This is D 1 …guys get injured …players play through many injuries .as long as it’s not his shooting arm , Kees, ankles or eyes we’re going to assume he won’t miss time.

He was clearly hurting the whole game. If you were there you would have seen him on the bench in pain

As long as it’s not his shooting ( right ) side he’ll heal … probably a hyper extension of the shoulder .

I'll say this, Paul is nowhere near an "out of control player". That being said, the exact play he got injured on, I have seen him try that move probably 10 times in game, and like 6 of those times have resulted in a turnover. So maybe he should just take that move out of his arsenal
I think what your post mentions is accurate without denigrating Paul. He lost the ball on the spin and then dove to get it back. Forget the noise about out of control because that is not accurate. What is accurate is Paul doesn’t have to do too many spin moves , especially against better competition , because they have led to unnecessary turnovers. He has to clean that up his senior year especially since he will have the ball in his hands 60% of the time.

Oh boy, your post brings me down memory lane. Hurt my arm playing baseball in HS….played pitcher, catcher and third base. Finally was diagnosed with a subluxation. Didn’t play after that injury. Fast forward to early 2021 and I dislocate my shoulder TWICE in the span of 7 weeks (first when indoor skydiving, second while taking an intro scuba class at a pool!). Latarjet surgery in Sep 2021.
Not saying that is what Paul has, just commenting on dislocations in general as I know that injury all too well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT