ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy’s Shoulder

I think what your post mentions is accurate without denigrating Paul. He lost the ball on the spin and then dove to get it back. Forget the noise about out of control because that is not accurate. What is accurate is Paul doesn’t have to do too many spin moves , especially against better competition , because they have led to unnecessary turnovers. He has to clean that up his senior year especially since he will have the ball in his hands 60% of the time.
Agree.

The criticism is fair. Other than the first few minutes of the game, Paul wasn't great. Definitely some poor decision making and carelessness with the ball.

Reactions: mwagnes
If it was dislocated we'd know. That's not something you shake off in real time on the court.
Who was the recent RU wrestler who would dislocate his shoulder occasionally, and they would just pop it back in and he would go back out on the mat?

Reactions: phlop87
It doesn't appear that the labrum is torn. If that is the case, he should get it fixed now because the shoulder can dislocate often until the labrum is repaired and it can definitely affect his shot. The recovery time is 4-6 weeks. Probably less with top flight doctors and trainers.

It doesn't appear that the labrum is torn. If that is the case, he should get it fixed now because the shoulder can dislocate often until the labrum is repaired and it can definitely affect his shot. The recovery time is 4-6 weeks. Probably less with top flight doctors and trainers.
Source?

It was his left shoulder

In the face of some whining I've heard on ESPNU how it's unfair to game commentators not to know the injury status of players until game time (ie, it makes their job harder) and to all others frustrated by GS and others who don't reveal injury status (and putting aside any HIPPAA issues), I fully support GS and other coaches who say nothing until game time. Their job is to win games and using any potential edge to do so is what they're paid to do.

Rutgers announced McConnell is out tonight. Presumably if they knew Mulcahy wasn't playing they'd have announced both together. It's possible he's a game time decision, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play.

If Rutgers gets up by 15-20 again I'd prefer to see him and Cliff get more time on the bench.

Reactions: Scangg and RULoyal
Rutgers announced McConnell is out tonight. Presumably if they knew Mulcahy wasn't playing they'd have announced both together. It's possible he's a game time decision, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play.

If Rutgers gets up by 15-20 again I'd prefer to see him and Cliff get more time on the bench.
I'd also prefer not to see Rutgers play in Dayton if running up the score on weak teams actually helps.

Ah, you guys. This has become a thread about the wussification of America.

When you get hurt, you rub some dirt in it and get back out there. I tore my left rotator cuff in wrestling in HS. Finished the match and the rest of the season (after negotiating with the ortho surgeon) with it taped against my body from elbow to shoulder. Won most of the matches, too.

After the season, I skipped the surgery. Does it flare up and hurt a little sometimes? Sure, but I keep a pot of dirt next to the bed to rub on it when it gets bad. Did the right rotator cuff in college and didn't get that one repaired yet, either.

Also got a hernia that wrestling season but talked the doc into allowing me to finish out the season with it. Had to wear some ridiculous wide athletic supporter that was two sizes too small. The 'rents forced me to get that surgery, the big wusses.

So what if the golf ball sized lump became more like a tennis ball sized lump? Big deal. That's what dirt is for.

Tore my left AC joint ~15 years ago and the surgeon wanted to operate at 7am the next morning, said he'd fix the rotator cuff while he's in there. I left his office and never went back. What kind of wuss did he think I am? Just needed a bit more dirt in the pot is all it took.

Long story short, PM will be fine. It's just pain and pain don't hurt.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Rhuarc

Rothstein probably only asked his “source” about Caleb. He most likely didn’t know Paul hurt his shoulder.

Ah, you guys. This has become a thread about the wussification of America.

When you get hurt, you rub some dirt in it and get back out there. I tore my left rotator cuff in wrestling in HS. Finished the match and the rest of the season (after negotiating with the ortho surgeon) with it taped against my body from elbow to shoulder. Won most of the matches, too.

After the season, I skipped the surgery. Does it flare up and hurt a little sometimes? Sure, but I keep a pot of dirt next to the bed to rub on it when it gets bad. Did the right rotator cuff in college and didn't get that one repaired yet, either.

Also got a hernia that wrestling season but talked the doc into allowing me to finish out the season with it. Had to wear some ridiculous wide athletic supporter that was two sizes too small. The 'rents forced me to get that surgery, the big wusses.

So what if the golf ball sized lump became more like a tennis ball sized lump? Big deal. That's what dirt is for.

Tore my left AC joint ~15 years ago and the surgeon wanted to operate at 7am the next morning, said he'd fix the rotator cuff while he's in there. I left his office and never went back. What kind of wuss did he think I am? Just needed a bit more dirt in the pot is all it took.

Long story short, PM will be fine. It's just pain and pain don't hurt.
This is a "Bones" worthy post and thought it was him at first. Excellent job!

This is a "Bones" worthy post and thought it was him at first. Excellent job!
Thanks. Did you pick up the he-man macho Dalton from "Road House" reference I threw in at the end? 😀

All that stuff is actually largely true except for the tough-guy act which is pure BS. I'd call it more stubborn stupidity than toughness of any kind (as, presumably, just about everybody else would). I barely scraped the surface of the moronic disregard I've shown my body throughout most of my life in sports and other activities.

One of these days, I'm going to put some orthopedic surgeons kids through college w/all my catch-up surgeries. I keep putting it off on the theory that I might luck out and die before I get to it; save myself all that rehab work. 🙂

This is pretty simple for me...I'm going to trust my trainers and S&C coach to evaluate what Paul was saying/feeling and go from there.
Yep. If the injury was in any way serious, he would not be playing

I hear "I thought you'd be bigger" a lot, too. Different context, though. 🤣

Speaking of which, that actress is hot. If she was the shoulder surgeon, I would've done the surgeries already.

My second hernia surgeon was the younger partner of the guy that my first, and she was hot, too. Woo hoo!

Pretty sure she, the second surgeon, told me she thought I'd be bigger. 😕

• Haha
Reactions: mdh2003
I'm all for toughing it out. It's when you can't function. A football player can function with a torn labrum or separate a shoulder. Basketball is a little more intricate. Can one play without shooting? Dennis Rodman made a career of it.

Last edited:
He should be good to go from what I know. Got a little dinged but that’s all, checking in with sources now.
Disagree because Harper was a difference makerwith winning shots at the end of games against Purdue and Indiana which is a primafy reason Rutgers received a NCAA Bid.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I hear "I thought you'd be bigger" a lot, too. Different context, though. 🤣

Speaking of which, that actress is hot. If she was the shoulder surgeon, I would've done the surgeries already.

My second hernia surgeon was the younger partner of the guy that my first, and she was hot, too. Woo hoo!

Pretty sure she, the second surgeon, told me she thought I'd be bigger. 😕
Agreed, she was a smoke show in that movie. I've seen Road House a few many times for such a dumb movie.

Agreed, she was a smoke show in that movie. I've seen Road House a few many times for such a dumb movie.
Me too. My wife at the time really loved Patrick Swayze, so that, dirty dancing, and ghost were regular rentals for us. The things we do for love. 🙂

Reactions: Rhuarc
If some guy wearing number 4 walks onto the court around 7:00 tonight, that should be a sign he is ok

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Who was the recent RU wrestler who would dislocate his shoulder occasionally, and they would just pop it back in and he would go back out on the mat?
Nick Gravina.
Dislocated in a match. Popped it back in and finished the match with basically one arm. Dude was a warrior!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT