ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell is overrated.

I’m sure they’ll be laughing playing Northern Iowa at home in the NIT.

At least they’ll be home so they’ll be able to overcome a 15 point deficit in the first half.
Uh oh someones not smart enough to understand the NIT is a major accomplishment at ru with a roster that returns 90% of its production next year. Everyone try to use small words so he understands.

I hope the entire team reads this thread and pumps their chests saying I’m an internet clown that doesn’t know b-ball.

Go ahead RHJ, go ahead Geo, go ahead Myles (Charmin) Johnson. Make my day. I dare you three to win 2 games down the stretch. Something tells me we’ll see you come out at PSU soft as baby shyt...again.
Dude, really?

Disagree?

Explain why we never see adjustments.
Explain why there are never off ball screens.
Explain why we all know this team can be effective by running, but Coach doesn’t allow them to do so.
Explain why we are running set plays for Shaq Carter on the offensive end.

This is not an emotional post, so don’t give me that “I hate our fans” crap. Address my concerns, and explain to me how Pike isn’t a NIT guy.
Autism Awareness month is in April, not February. Looks like we peaked a little early

Last edited:
What’s remarkable is that we will likely miss out on the tournament and everyone here will act like all is fine and dandy.

Last year we ended on a 6 game losing stream to miss out on a NIT bid. This year we will likely end on a 5 game losing streak.

This is a trend. It’s a trend that has followed Pike around his entire career. You guys just choose not pay attention to it.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
What’s remarkable is that we will likely miss out on the tournament and everyone here will act like all is fine and dandy.

Last year we ended on a 6 game losing stream to miss out on a NIT bid. This year we will likely end on a 5 game losing streak.

This is a trend. It’s a trend that has followed Pike around his entire career. You guys just choose not pay attention to it.
No one is saying everything is fine and dandy. We exceeded expectations. We will expect the continued upwards trajectory. I guess coaching has nothing to with the fact we’ve been in every single big 10 game and we’re won or had a realistic shot of winning and never gave up.

Going from 3 to 9+ conference wins in 4 years at RUTGERS without a true star players, comes down to player development and building a consummate team.

Now hopefully winning bumps up recruiting and we keep improving.

Pikiell has nothing to do with the winning and sellouts that resulted in the building chanting “we want Cliff”.

He’s got a plan and so far it seems to be working.

He’s not perfect and has warts, but has done more than our recent coaches.

Until we start going in the wrong trajectory I’m happy.

No one is saying everything is fine and dandy. We exceeded expectations. We will expect the continued upwards trajectory. I guess coaching has nothing to with the fact we’ve been in every single big 10 game and we’re won or had a realistic shot of winning and never gave up.

Going from 3 to 9+ conference wins in 4 years at RUTGERS without a true star players, comes down to player development and building a consummate team.

Pikiell has nothing to do with the winning and sellouts that resulted in the building chanting “we want Cliff”.

Until we start going in the wrong trajectory I’m happy.
To be fair this is exactly my point. I said he was overrated, not a bad coach.

The RUT said:

rubjk said:

Until we start going in the wrong trajectory I’m happy.[/quote]

To be fair this is exactly my point. I said he was overrated, not a bad coach.

My point is doing what he’s doing at Rutgers and what other big 10 coaches say about him and the fact he’s in the running for coach of the year he’s not overrated. No one is calling him the best coach in college basketball. He’s ahead of schedule on building the program and deserves the accolades he gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 216 Row E

Last year was 3 games, not 6....Penn State, Indiana, Nebraska....at least be somewhat aware of what you're talking about....and that PSU game was a 1 point loss at home, after we buried Iowa on the road by 14.

The bar is so so so low here that fans think simple mediocrity is greatness. Your ceiling is so so so low when you dont believe in running an offense and your entire coaching philosophy just relies on having guys play hard.

the scary part is guys are supposed to make their biggest leap between fresh to soph year. Offense efficiency wise ron, caleb and myles have gotten worse. Montez ever so slightly better. When you dont put your guys in position to succeed its not sustainable and you have a very low ceiling
OK so are you on record that you want a new coach? We get open looks but simply don't have the consistent shooters like others do...YET...Dance this year and facilities and we will...

8 straight years at stony brook he either won the conference regular season or made the conference tourney final yet only won the conference tourney once. When the lights are brightest hes flunked way more often than not in his career. For some reason people are terrified to look into this though or admit it

Disagree?

Explain why we all know this team can be effective by running, but Coach doesn’t allow them to do so.

This is not an emotional post, so don’t give me that “I hate our fans” crap. Address my concerns, and explain to me how Pike isn’t a NIT guy.
We do see in game and half time adjustments.
There is screening off the ball.
We try to run when the opportunity presents itself.
Just because someone passes the ball to Carter doesn't mean its a set play.

I’ve been over this before, but Pike has had 1 major loss each year to prove he isn’t the guy. Loses Corey. Loses Eugene. Potentially about to lose a NCAA bid on 5 straight loses. Potentially lose Cliff.

There are major red flags here. You guys just ignore them.
please tell me your high or something. Loses Cliff? WE don't lose Cliff (Not yet anyway). We win CLiff. KY loses Cliff. Where have you been?

The RUT said:

8 straight years at stony brook he either won the conference regular season or made the conference tourney final yet only won the conference tourney once. When the lights are brightest hes flunked way more often than not in his career. For some reason people are terrified to look into this though or admit it
[/quote]
I’ll take my chances and worry about that when we win the big10 regular season or make the conference tourney 8 years in a row.

There's a BIG difference between saying something is wrong and having no concepts about what the other 13 programs are starting from vs RU started from in season 2016-17.

In order to have a realistic conversation, the best thing to do is find examples around the Power 5 or 6 leagues and let RU fans know "this is what Mississippi State has done, or Utah or Minnesota or Penn State...maybe it's Oklahoma State or Georgia Tech.

If the answer is "I don't know and don't care, I only care about what RU is doing", then it's a complete lack of knowledge or perspective....which is 100% OK.

But if that's the viewpoint fans have that basketball programs can be built on 1 basketball recruit, explain why Georgia is losing games with a freshman lottery pick averaging 20PPG....why are San Diego State, Gonzaga and Dayton all potentially 1 seeds in the NCAAS.....is it because they're great teams or play in conference where you aren't challenged over 3 months and maybe have 3 tough games over 2-3 months....

It wasn't long ago that Gregg Marshall was the media darling of CBB at Wichita State.....he got 3 to 4 extensions because he dominated the Missouri Valley Conference playing Illinois State, Bradley, Northern Iowa, Loyola Chicago Evansville etc....

Fast forward 5 to 7 years and Wichita State still has great players...but they're in a more challenging league now...the days off when you play a bad half on the road at Indiana State and rally to win, don't happen when you play a bad half instead at Cincinnati or Houston...in those games, you will take a loss or be down 25 to 30 points.

Wichita State is a bubble team, with a great coach....San Diego State, Gonzaga and Dayton have a great player or having magical seasons...does anyone really believe that if those teams played RUs schedule in the B1G, that they'd be better than RUs performances...by 1 game or would they be better than Maryland and in 1st place??

These are bigger questions that mind warp some fans don't factor in.

I am all for a college basketball discussion, football recruiting discussion, football discussion and being aware of what your competitors are or aren't doing. Those things ultimately matter.....ignoring what's being done around you as a sports fan, could be a great way to live life, I guess....in most cases however, you wind up sounding clueless or frustrated claiming that fans are accepting mediocre.....LMAO....

I agree with your general sentiments but this year's San Diego State, Gonzaga, and Dayton teams would absolutely do better than Rutgers in the Big Ten.

Who shoots into those lights?

That's our problem/issue across the board in Rutgers Athletics.

Somewhere in another thread it said we're getting a Sports Physiologist on the Athletics staff. Great and it's about time.

I’ll keep Pike!! We are on the right path checking the building boxes along the way. I still think we will find a way to dance. Keep the faith naysayers!

I agree with your general sentiments but this year's San Diego State, Gonzaga, and Dayton teams would absolutely do better than Rutgers in the Big Ten.

So RU is 9-8....after Illinois takes care of Nebraska tonight, 5 different teams would be 10-6 in the B1G....you can confidently say Dayton, Gonzaga and San Diego State would all exceed 10-6 records of Iowa, MSU, Illinois, PSU, Wisconsin and are better than Michigan and Ohio State?? Keep in mind, Michigan beat Gonzaga in the Bahamas in November....

All 3 teams would have 5 to 6 losses in the B1G...it is very difficult to speculate on how good coaches are, when fans have no way to look at what teams do in crunch time.

I know fans are down on RU because they didn't spring 2 road upsets and sweep every home game, but these are real teams, with coaches and players at 12 of the 14 programs and could argue that Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska has a stronger resume based on his time at Iowa State, vs.a lot of Power 5 coaches around the country.

It is a legitimate league folks, the only reason RU is very strong on every metric is being 9-8 in the B1G and competing every night in the Top league in CBB this year. Sorry if that's "assumed" to happen at every program, it's certainly not the case.

So RU is 9-8....after Illinois takes care of Nebraska tonight, 5 different teams would be 10-6 in the B1G....you can confidently say Dayton, Gonzaga and San Diego State would all exceed 10-6 records of Iowa, MSU, Illinois, PSU, Wisconsin and are better than Michigan and Ohio State?? Keep in mind, Michigan beat Gonzaga in the Bahamas in November....

All 3 teams would have 5 to 6 losses in the B1G...it is very difficult to speculate on how good coaches are, when fans have no way to look at what teams do in crunch time.

I know fans are down on RU because they didn't spring 2 road upsets and sweep every home game, but these are real teams, with coaches and players at 12 of the 14 programs and could argue that Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska has a stronger resume based on his time at Iowa State, vs.a lot of Power 5 coaches around the country.

It is a legitimate league folks, the only reason RU is very strong on every metric is being 9-8 in the B1G and competing every night in the Top league in CBB this year. Sorry if that's "assumed" to happen at every program, it's certainly not the case.

It's not about me being down on Rutgers. I believe the metrics that say Gonzaga, Dayton, and San Diego St would be the best teams in the Big Ten and so I believe that they would at worst be expected to have the same record as Maryland (12-4) to this point.

Do you know any of the players on Stony Brook who won those regular season titles or who the opponents were in that league....were those games on TV every week, so we could watch Stony Brook vs Vermont or whomever is in that league??

I certainly don't know the starting five, but have heard of Jameel Warney, from right in our backyard here in NJ. So we are basing a coaches ability on how many times he did or didnt win a 1 and done automatic bid, with players so far off the radar of major CBB??

I can only ask so many times, everyone is entitled to their opinions....I'm still waiting to hear what coaching candidates are better, would win more games, recruit better players with the mandate from the school/university to be ethical....

We have 70 to 80 programs in Power 5/6 leagues with all coaches in their leagues that have won at their previous stops...let's rattle off what program is that much better in the ACC, SEC, Big 12, making well under 2M per year??

Here's who will be out of a job in about 30 days or so...

Shaka Smart at Texas,

Danny Manning at Wake Forest....

Josh Pastner at Georgia Tech (maybe)....

Jim Christian at Boston College...(probably)

All of these names have better resumes than Pike had at Stony Brook and won at their previous stops....are they all better than Pike today?? It's not as obvious as people believe it is.

Reactions: shields
Oh so because we had potato brain coaches before him that means he’s good?

Mike Rice was a better coach than him. Some of you won’t like that because he threw basketballs at kids, but Rice’s teams weren’t soft as baby shyt.
Mike rice never had a winning season here. He also inherited a lot more talent than Pike did. Rice never sniffed the NCAAs....... Or the NIT. And what make our team "soft as baby shit"? We have less talent than most teams in the conference, yet we're probably a win a way from ending the 30 year drought...

If we make the NCAAs this season you'll probably create a new thread ripping Pikiel for not being able to make the NIT this season.

Uh oh someones not smart enough to understand the NIT is a major accomplishment at ru with a roster that returns 90% of its production next year. Everyone try to use small words so he understands.
finishing the season on the current skids when NCAA is one road win away is a monumental fail ,considering its been 30 years of no Tournament.

The problem is you do not know anything about the America East so when you make blanket statements t makes you look silly to people who actually know.

For instance his first AE Championship appearance was as the #5 seed without a future AE POY Tomy Brenton. He upset Albany in round one, then went on to beat #1 seed Vermont by 20+ points in the Semi's and eventually lost to BU the #2 seed on BUs. IT was a miracle they even made teh championship that year.

or

As the #1 seed(probably his best team at SBU) in 2013 he was forced to play a semifinal game against four seed albany at albany in front of a sell out albany crowd which puts the #1 seed at a huge disadvantage. Vermont the very next year was the #1 seed and lost to albany at albany in the semis/. Funny thing about AE is fans do not travel. so the league played quarters and semi's at some conference schools gym then the championship at the higher seed.

Again the numbers are not everything.

Last edited:
The problem is you do not know anything about the America East so when you make blanket statements t makes you look silly to people who actually know.

For instance his first AE Championship appearance was as the #5 seed without a future AE POY Tomy Brenton. He upset Albany in round one, then went on to beat #1 seed Vermont by 20+ points in the Semi's and eventually lost to BU the #2 seed on BUs. IT was a miracle they even made teh championship that year.

or

As the #1 seed(probably his best team at SBU) in 2013 he was forced to play a semifinal game against four seed albany at albany in front of a sell out albany crowd which puts the #1 seed at a huge disadvantage. Vermont the very next year was the #1 seed and lost to albany at albany in the semis/. Funny thing about AE is fans do not travel. so the league played quarters and semi's at some conference schools gym then the championship at the higher seed.

Again the numbers are not everything.

Plus, you're not comparing apples to apples with these one bid leagues. You accomplish what he did in the Big Ten and you go to the dance every one of those years.

Izzo takes over this team against PSU. He sets up an awesome offensive play, screening for Geo who draws coverage as he cuts through the lane, sees and dishes to McConnell who is wide open beyond the arc, Caleb shoots and...Clang!

Chambers takes over this team against Maryland, designs a beautiful play to get Geo wide open for a three, and....Doink!

Last game of the year, Turgeon takes over this team against Purdue, and has us working the give and go to perfection. Paul finds Myles wide open underneath, where he is promptly fouled from behind by Haarms. Myles goes to the line to shoot two, and...Brick! Brick!

We lose all three games by two points or less, and everyone says, you know what, Pike is pretty damn good, and Tom Izzo, like every other B1G coach, is overrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: fluoxetine
Literally the only person that has brought value to the thread. Thank you @dpwhite

We will disagree on the adjustments, I haven’t seen many as of late.

As far as the screens go, I get it. But you need to be willing to change up your GP. We have struggled to get to the rim and create opportunities for other guys. Pike just seems so dead set in his ways he’s not willing to give multiple looks.

Just once I would love to see a baseline screen for McConnell to come off.
I've got to agree with the OP on this. Our opponents have figured out that you can pack the paint against us. Pike needs to get Caleb into the game plan with some shots off of screens. He is one of our best shooters and we need to get him in to the flow as an option outside.

There's always an Agenda buried somewhere in there with posters who are flaming or trolling......wonder how long he's been just waiting for the right time to start a thread like this?

Nope. I’m a Schiano guy through a through. Guy could go 4-8 and I’d be happy with him. He’s gonna close Cliff for Pike, that’s how big of a stud he is.

Also Pike showed poor judgement when he hitched his wagon to Hobbs during the whole Schiano deal.

The best is when he calls the team soft numerous time. Lulz..........ps.......as RU continues to ascend and even if a staypuff soft fan like RUT manages to eat crow, we should all ensure that he is constantly reminded and ridiculed for this thread.

Disagree?

Can you name another team in the Big who haven't been beaten on the road by more than 10 points. We are very very close to being a really good team. How about taking those results into consideration before you insinuate Pike can't coach

Oh so because we had potato brain coaches before him that means he’s good?

Mike Rice was a better coach than him. Some of you won’t like that because he threw basketballs at kids, but Rice’s teams weren’t soft as baby shyt.
Stupid.jpg

Do you know any of the players on Stony Brook who won those regular season titles or who the opponents were in that league....were those games on TV every week, so we could watch Stony Brook vs Vermont or whomever is in that league??

I certainly don't know the starting five, but have heard of Jameel Warney, from right in our backyard here in NJ. So we are basing a coaches ability on how many times he did or didnt win a 1 and done automatic bid, with players so far off the radar of major CBB??

I can only ask so many times, everyone is entitled to their opinions....I'm still waiting to hear what coaching candidates are better, would win more games, recruit better players with the mandate from the school/university to be ethical....

We have 70 to 80 programs in Power 5/6 leagues with all coaches in their leagues that have won at their previous stops...let's rattle off what program is that much better in the ACC, SEC, Big 12, making well under 2M per year??

Here's who will be out of a job in about 30 days or so...

Shaka Smart at Texas,

Danny Manning at Wake Forest....

Josh Pastner at Georgia Tech (maybe)....

Jim Christian at Boston College...(probably)

All of these names have better resumes than Pike had at Stony Brook and won at their previous stops....are they all better than Pike today?? It's not as obvious as people believe it is.
Do you know any of the players on Stony Brook who won those regular season titles or who the opponents were in that league....were those games on TV everyis.

The fact Pike made the league championship game that many times is impressive, regardless of whether he won it or not.

There's always an Agenda buried somewhere in there with posters who are flaming or trolling......wonder how long he's been just waiting for the right time to start a thread like this?

The best is when he calls the team soft numerous time. Lulz..........ps.......as RU continues to ascend and even if a staypuff soft fan like RUT manages to eat crow, we should all ensure that he is constantly reminded and ridiculed for this thread.
No agenda at all. I have hung tough with RU for years. I have seen my fair share of heartbreaks and for some unknown reason I keep coming back.

I just think people need to caution acting like Pike is a god king. I want to see this team step up and I want to see Pike close a damn season out.

If we do that, then we are NCAA bound for the first time in my lifetime. If I need to get this thread bumped each year calling me an idiot for that then that’s fine. Bump it every day and tag me in it. Would love for that to happen.

We have at least four games left before selection Sunday. All the quitters can turn it off now. We don’t need you. Are you guys actually shocked with the recent losing? Pike and Co did exactly what they had to do in the first 10 games of the conference schedule. Do I wish we would have done better in the latest 7? Yes. But man, ppl like OP are insufferable. Boo freaking hoo, we lost to Wisconsin and Michigan. You guys are so weak. This isn’t easy. Never was going to be. Seriously leave. Take a couple weeks off. We don’t need anymore “look at me threads.”

We have been getting some terrible play from key players but odds are they snap out of it soon like Harper and Geo did

Disagree?

-I see adjustments. You must be watching different games.

-There are multiple off ball screens on many plays. When Gio loops through the paint real fast and currles out on the wing to take a pass, he has run by 2 off ball screen to try to get an open look. That is just one example.

-Pike does not prevent them from running. Playing defense and going for the rebound takes precedence over cherry picking.

How effective can they be running when they keep missing layups, lose outlet passes out of bounds, take the wrong angles to the rim, etc. Unless it is a break away, they have struggled to score when running because a couple of key players that are most often in the mix are out of control.

Coach Pike wants them to play under control. A 6'2" guard dribbling into the trees when RU does not have a numbers advantage is out of control. Pike stopped that from Young for the most part, but he has not stopped them from running when it's there.

-This one is just silly. They do run set plays or pass the ball into Carter. He struggles with his handle. HE STRUGGLES WITH HIS HANDLE GRABBING REBOUNDS. You can't tell me that you can't see that.

Last edited:
I hope the entire team reads this thread and pumps their chests saying I’m an internet clown that doesn’t know b-ball.
...or they will see where you admitted that you were "very emotional" when you wrote the OP so they'll think your a chick. Either that or someone is slipping you her estrogen pills. Do you pay attention to what vitamins you take or does you wife put them out for you?

Mike rice never had a winning season here. He also inherited a lot more talent than Pike did. Rice never sniffed the NCAAs....... Or the NIT. And what make our team "soft as baby shit"? We have less talent than most teams in the conference, yet we're probably a win a way from ending the 30 year drought...

If we make the NCAAs this season you'll probably create a new thread ripping Pikiel for not being able to make the NIT this season.
Well, granted rice never got a 4th year. Had he, expectation was he would dance. Mack, carter, segears, jack, judge, poole, randall. Really solid 7 guys to rock with.

Reactions: Scangg and The RUT
The fact Pike made the league championship game that many times is impressive, regardless of whether he won it or not.

Some NFL fans think that Marv Levy of the Buffalo Bills was a lousy coach. Damn guy lost every Super Bowl game he coached.

Reactions: hiwater
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT