ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell on 2017-18 Roster: "We plan on adding another really good player"

The question is how many transfer out ?
The numbers thrown around the board seems to be 2. If that is correct and doucoure reclassifies that leaves one spot. Soooo it would either be another big or a wing 3 point shooter I would think but not both... Unless a third transfers

The more I watch college basketball the past 3 1/2 days I am convinced with the type of talent we have (and don't have) we need to play uptempo and force turnovers on D and score in transition on offense.

With our lack of wings 5 guards would get minutes if we played intense D and ran as much as possible on O.
I'll have to disagree here. I think one strength was our size and rebounding. We played three guards at times, but I don't think small ball most of the time is the way to go. I think the style we played this year was fine. It's the style that's given all of us some optimism for next year. The team just needs to improve their BB IQ and, obviously, their shooting.

I'll have to disagree here. I think one strength was our size and rebounding. We played three guards at times, but I don't think small ball most of the time is the way to go. I think the style we played this year was fine. It's the style that's given all of us some optimism for next year. The team just needs to improve their BB IQ and, obviously, their shooting.

What does Corey and Nigel do well? Where do they struggle?

What does Corey and Nigel do well? Where do they struggle?
Imo, Corey's strengths are intangibles, namely his self-confidence and willingness to be the guy at the end of games. He also is physically talented in terms of quickness and strength. His weakness boils down to a lack of maturity on the court and a lack of consistency with the fundamentals: shooting and passing. He also needs to be better in all facets of D, both individually and in the team concept. All of his weakness can be improved. Nigel's strength is his shooting, willingness to play team ball, and willingness to take the big shot. He probably needs to increase his strength, footwork on D, and his passing. Corey has much more upside than Nigel, imo.

My short answer is

Positive. Transition
Weakness. Half court offense
Well, that is a short answer, lol. I'm not sure how to respond to that. If it's a follow-up to your previous post, you're only talking about two players and only one of them is a B10 caliber starter. Also, are you going to sit Freeman, Thiem, Sa, and Dorson?

I see Baker having some chances to handle the ball and becoming a potential scoring threat off the ball and as a player who can start the offense. I can see him doing so easily with Mike Williams as the shooting guard or Sanders as the off guard. I can also see Sanders and Baker interchanging positions, where you aren't reliant on just one of them to start a play.

RU is not a good passing team or fluid with the ball. Baker adds another capable passer who can score and get to the basket on his own....Outside of Sanders and Johnson, the next best playmaker off the dribble is arguably Eugene, who isn't a shooting threat right now. Baker should become another capable guard that can generate offense.

I just don't see how RU isn't a much better passing team once Baker arrives. If we add another capable wing player as another good passer more than shooter, the offense will flow much better. If we are able to land a PF/C like Lake, that is a faster/quicker/more mobile defender than Gettys was capable of, RU's already good defense becomes tougher.

With Baker another capable wing and either Doucoure or an ace like Lake or another PF that's mobile, we should be 3 to 4 PPG better offensively and 3 to 4 points better defensively. I know that seems like a huge jump, but to close the gap between RU and the rest of the B1G, this is the only way I can see that type of jump next year.....it's not feasible without another capable guard like Baker and another eraser at PF/C.

Reactions: RUBigFrank
Saying RU isn't a good passing team is an understatement!

Let's give Pikiell credit for overachieving using defense and offensive rebounding. Playing vs man defense i like the offensive sets, but hated the philosophy using them. It needed to be hammered home and punished with PT not making plays that make teammates better.

So a couple things here. I agree that Dadika played some big minutes this year for a walk on and he wasnt bad for the most part as he filled in admirably for people who were injured and for people who were having off games but I think that saying Geo Baker even as a freshman is only margionally better than a walkon is grossly understating him if the star rating system has any meaning. Also even with this current roster that they had this year if they would have made free throws they wouldve been in the NIT and although free throws are mostly mental there has to be a way to improve in this area. Wisconsin at the garden Iowa on the road northwestern on the road and I know one or two home games should have all been wins if it wasnt for free throw shooting. Thats 4 or 5 wins more wins right there

Some folks are grossly overestimating Baker and his ability to meaningfully contribute at this level as a freshman. He plays against awful contribution and he is fine but certainly does not dominate even at that level. He has some skills, but it will be an enormous adjustment for him to the Big Ten. He is also not a point guard at this point and the chance of him developing into a point guard as a freshman is not possible.

He is an individual that may develop into a nice complementary player in time. He is not at the level to contribute as a freshman.

From my lofty perch, I believe this year's players that return can improve based on experience and coaching that will result in 1 or 2 more conference wins. I think that possible new additions can also contribute 1 or 2 more conference wins. That puts the conference win total next year between 4 and 7. Anyone who thinks that the conference win total will be any different is insane.

From my lofty perch, I believe this year's players that return can improve based on experience and coaching that will result in 1 or 2 more conference wins. I think that possible new additions can also contribute 1 or 2 more conference wins. That puts the conference win total next year between 4 and 7. Anyone who thinks that the conference win total will be any different is insane.
Insane is a rather strong word for describing a difference in opinion on next seasons league win total.

My short answer is

Positive. Transition
Weakness. Half court offense

well I think they still do not convert in transition like they should but I will say this is the best transition team in 10 years

and their half court offense is pretty dreadful not Pike's fault, the idea is right, the execution is wrong and just not enough speed, quickness awareness to move the ball the way it needs to be not to mention some pretty bad outside shooting which torpedoes everything

Some folks are grossly overestimating Baker and his ability to meaningfully contribute at this level as a freshman. He plays against awful contribution and he is fine but certainly does not dominate even at that level. He has some skills, but it will be an enormous adjustment for him to the Big Ten. He is also not a point guard at this point and the chance of him developing into a point guard as a freshman is not possible.

He is an individual that may develop into a nice complementary player in time. He is not at the level to contribute as a freshman.

always respect your analysis...I think some forget the talent in the league that Baker will have to go up against, he will go up against men with experience not to mention other freshmen who at least on paper are ranked higher than him. Will he be better than Williams or Johnson? If not and I do not think he will what he will provide is some spot minutes to give rest but not sure why some on this board are expecting signficant impact, he is going to have to fight for time which makes the addition of the other guard Mensah sort of a head scratcher

well I think they still do not convert in transition like they should but I will say this is the best transition team in 10 years

and their half court offense is pretty dreadful not Pike's fault, the idea is right, the execution is wrong and just not enough speed, quickness awareness to move the ball the way it needs to be not to mention some pretty bad outside shooting which torpedoes everything

I am going to guess you have watched at least 24 out of 48 hours of basketball Thurs-Sunday. How many teams ask their point guard to do what Corey sanders does? NONE The point of dribble penetration is to get dunks for bigs or 3s for others. Only occasionally do guards actually finish off penetration in the half court.

next year, except for Trimble, all the guys we are speculating leaving for NBA are big guys. Guard play will be VERY strong next year in b1G

I see Baker having some chances to handle the ball and becoming a potential scoring threat off the ball and as a player who can start the offense. I can see him doing so easily with Mike Williams as the shooting guard or Sanders as the off guard. I can also see Sanders and Baker interchanging positions, where you aren't reliant on just one of them to start a play.

RU is not a good passing team or fluid with the ball. Baker adds another capable passer who can score and get to the basket on his own....Outside of Sanders and Johnson, the next best playmaker off the dribble is arguably Eugene, who isn't a shooting threat right now. Baker should become another capable guard that can generate offense.

I just don't see how RU isn't a much better passing team once Baker arrives. If we add another capable wing player as another good passer more than shooter, the offense will flow much better. If we are able to land a PF/C like Lake, that is a faster/quicker/more mobile defender than Gettys was capable of, RU's already good defense becomes tougher.

With Baker another capable wing and either Doucoure or an ace like Lake or another PF that's mobile, we should be 3 to 4 PPG better offensively and 3 to 4 points better defensively. I know that seems like a huge jump, but to close the gap between RU and the rest of the B1G, this is the only way I can see that type of jump next year.....it's not feasible without another capable guard like Baker and another eraser at PF/C.
Your last paragraph, if that turns out to be true will be the difference between going 15-18 and 18-15 or even better next season.

Insane is a rather strong word for describing a difference in opinion on next seasons league win total.

Sorry to offend your sensitivities. Didn't know I was the first one to use hyperbole on this board.

Fans are only defining a players value based on shooting and PPG....there are plenty of shooters that can shoot, but are too slow to defend, can't grab a rebound, aren't able to handle the ball, can't make a good pass into the post or on a break, rarely finish against traffic or are too small to do much of anything well

Baker is up to 6'4".....is he arriving at 200 lbs of muscle....Obviously not, but my guess is if Baker doesn't shoot 40% or more from 3 point range, doesn't shoot 80% from the FT and doesn't have a 3 to 1 Assist to TO ratio with an immediate 9 to 10PPG, he's suddenly not a good prospect or a player....OR if he doesn't immediately generate 25 minutes a night of playing time, he's not a good player......maybe he doesn't need 25 minutes a night to generate a couple of baskets or an assist etc.

Good programs have depth that doesn't play immediate big minutes, even when it's clearly has more upside than the upperclassmen ahead of them on the roster....it's been over a decade since RU can go into a season and have a player not asked to play 25 minutes a game early in their career. What's even worse is that because that freshman isn't starting immediately, the decision making process is suddenly immediate.

In two months, the focus will be on Baker and two other contributors that are going to be added to the roster....the combination of all the additions to the roster is what will matter for next year, not just one piece or player.

Fans are only defining a players value based on shooting and PPG....there are plenty of shooters that can shoot, but are too slow to defend, can't grab a rebound, aren't able to handle the ball, can't make a good pass into the post or on a break, rarely finish against traffic or are too small to do much of anything well

Baker is up to 6'4".....is he arriving at 200 lbs of muscle....Obviously not, but my guess is if Baker doesn't shoot 40% or more from 3 point range, doesn't shoot 80% from the FT and doesn't have a 3 to 1 Assist to TO ratio with an immediate 9 to 10PPG, he's suddenly not a good prospect or a player....OR if he doesn't immediately generate 25 minutes a night of playing time, he's not a good player......maybe he doesn't need 25 minutes a night to generate a couple of baskets or an assist etc.

Good programs have depth that doesn't play immediate big minutes, even when it's clearly has more upside than the upperclassmen ahead of them on the roster....it's been over a decade since RU can go into a season and have a player not asked to play 25 minutes a game early in their career. What's even worse is that because that freshman isn't starting immediately, the decision making process is suddenly immediate.

In two months, the focus will be on Baker and two other contributors that are going to be added to the roster....the combination of all the additions to the roster is what will matter for next year, not just one piece or player.
Actually he'll be labeled a bust after either his first missed shot or first turnover.

As a freshman, I think he contributes 4-5 pts and 1 or two assist per game. If he comes up with some bulk, he can add to that.

I would take a guess and say he averaged 17 pts a game this season. The competition is average. 17 pts is not bad.

The fact that he can hit a shot off the dribble means he will be an asset to the team. Pikiell will not be afraid to play him, seeing he needs to get guys minutes as after next year there will be a drop off.If the OOC schedule is not strong, expect to see Baker at least 7-10 minutes those games.

I still remember you saying Mike Williams was not going to be a good player here. He was our best player this year. He will be a force next year, and if Baker learns from him, Baker will become a pretty good player.

Never having seen Baker play I'll say the most encouraging thing abot his is that he's a 6'4" shooter.

next year, except for Trimble, all the guys we are speculating leaving for NBA are big guys. Guard play will be VERY strong next year in b1G

Tai Webster from Nebreska. Gone. He schooled the team this year.That's right, schooled.

Arguably the best point guard in the big ten, Derrick Walton- gone.15, 5, 5.

Zak Irvin, Michigan- gone. 13,4,3 a game.

Koenig, Wisconsin, 14,2,2. Gone.

Malcolm Hill, Illi,17,5,3. Gone.

You are very confident that players will step in automatically and dominate. If they were better than the kids in front of them by that much, they would have played last year.

Guard play will be good. It will hardly be better than this year.

Tai Webster from Nebreska. Gone. He schooled the team this year.That's right, schooled.

You are very confident that players will step in automatically and dominate. If they were better than the kids in front of them by that much, they would have played last year.

i was talking about leaving early for NBA

walton Jr has had a great run......not one of the top PG in B1G

This year? Easily the top three. Who is better?

The matter stated was people leaving, and the state of the point guards in the big ten. There is no strong evidence that points to better point guard play. I do not think Melo Trimble improves his draft stock that much by staying another year. Even in a very center dominated 2018 draft. If he stayed he would probably maybe scratch the end of the first round, but still long shot. He will be fine with 1 mil.

Counting, what is that 7 starting point guards that will be out of the big ten next year?

You keep downplaying the talent this league has. Alot of these programs have guys that yes will fill the role. Certainly Wisconsin will take a hit and Illinois but beyond that every school should be improved from last year

You keep downplaying the talent this league has. Alot of these programs have guys that yes will fill the role. Certainly Wisconsin will take a hit and Illinois but beyond that every school should be improved from last year

I am not downplaying the state of the conference, but I will not overlook the majority of teams losing their best scorers. If there were better guys that those guys, they would have played in front of the guys this past year. I will also say that if Doucoure classifies for 2017, like many have mentioned, the rebounding is very much improved.

As a fan, I will not overemphasize the strength of other teams without saying our team will be semi improved as well. I saw the talent this year, and at least 6 games were very close. I am not looking at wins and losses. I am looking at how close the games are, what we lose, and if those games could have been won.

You and Fig see it as the talent is so high, too much for RU to win more games. I do not see it that way. The facts that people leave and lose their scoring and more filled in truth than you predicting the league will be so much harder.

Was this a down year for the big ten?Please don't say so.

As a freshman, I think he contributes 4-5 pts and 1 or two assist per game. If he comes up with some bulk, he can add to that.

I would take a guess and say he averaged 17 pts a game this season. The competition is average. 17 pts is not bad.

The fact that he can hit a shot off the dribble means he will be an asset to the team. Pikiell will not be afraid to play him, seeing he needs to get guys minutes as after next year there will be a drop off.If the OOC schedule is not strong, expect to see Baker at least 7-10 minutes those games.

I still remember you saying Mike Williams was not going to be a good player here. He was our best player this year. He will be a force next year, and if Baker learns from him, Baker will become a pretty good player.

Williams our best player on 3-15 league team and he couldnt shoot straight...thats what we are up against moving forward, Williams would play 10 minutes or less on the top half of the league

Reactions: soundcrib
I am just downplaying the year, but I will not overlook the majority of teams losing their best scorers. If there were better guys that those guys, they would have played. I will also say that if Doucoure classifies for 2017, like many have mentioned, the rebounding is very much improved.

As a fan, I will not overemphasize the strength of other teams without saying our team will be improved as well. I saw the talent this year, and at least 6 games were very close. I am not looking at wins and losses. I am looking at how close the games are, what we lose, and if those games could have been won.

Gettys was a decent rebounder...a senior, do not automatically assume that Doucoure is a savior for next year improving on Gettys numbers, wouldnt expect too much his first year as he has to learn his role under Pike.

its great to say that 6 games were close...every school in the league can say the same thing...competitive isnt winning, RU fans so starved to see competitive play won the league for proclaiming moral victories. Until Doucoure reclassifies I am assuming he does not. RU will need a guy like Lake to come in for sure if they are to contend for a NIT type season. My goal is try and get to 6-12/16-15 which is a major step up from last year conference wise

Reactions: RUJMM78
Gettys was a decent rebounder...a senior, do not automatically assume that Doucoure is a savior for next year improving on Gettys numbers, wouldnt expect too much his first year as he has to learn his role under Pike.

its great to say that 6 games were close...every school in the league can say the same thing...competitive isnt winning, RU fans so starved to see competitive play won the league for proclaiming moral victories. Until Doucoure reclassifies I am assuming he does not. RU will need a guy like Lake to come in for sure if they are to contend for a NIT type season. My goal is try and get to 6-12/16-15 which is a major step up from last year conference wise

I am not confident he reclassifies either, but now I read people that are more in the know are very confident.

Bac, I am not assuming anything like that, haha. Docoure is limited offensively, but as far as size, if he was given 20 minutes, he could grab four boards a game. I am very confident about that. Gettys had five.

Gettys went far beyond the numbers. I watched,too. But his seven points can be made up. We are a 6 rebound per game from being better than the team was this year.

Williams our best player on 3-15 league team and he couldnt shoot straight...thats what we are up against moving forward, Williams would play 10 minutes or less on the top half of the league

I do not look at the wins and losses, I look at how competitive the games were, and if they could be won next year.

Williams did everything else, and will be here next year. I am not predicting the team to be in the top half of the year next year. What Williams does is very hard to replicate.

Judging RU by the competitiveness of the games is tough. RU lacrosse just barely beat NJIT and they dominated ranked teams. Teams tend to play down to their competition sometimes. The fact that we were in some games while nice is really not all that meaningful.

What about the idea on offense is right? I'm curious what do you like about the offense we run now vs. say last years?

Bac

Totally understand your perspective

To me....there is not that much difference between the 3-15/15-18 and 9-9/21-12 on the floor

On the other hand ....in my opinion ...it is twice the jump to go from 9-9/21-12 to 12-6/25-8....and maybe three times the jump

Lot different from being number 50 and 20

Reactions: RutgHoops
Bac

Totally understand your perspective

To me....there is not that much difference between the 3-15/15-18 and 9-9/21-12 on the floor

On the other hand ....in my opinion ...it is twice the jump to go from 9-9/21-12 to 12-6/25-8....and maybe three times the jump

Lot different from being number 50 and 20

I'd feel better if I had confidence in a point guard. 9-9 teams have a steady hand at QB or in Michigan State case enormous talent elsewhere

I guess I should keep telling myself this was the exact blueprint of what a successful season for our team, after '15-16 would look like. I even sort of predicted it. I just have a tough time envisioning us getting over the hump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT