ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell on 2017-18 Roster: "We plan on adding another really good player"

well I think they still do not convert in transition like they should but I will say this is the best transition team in 10 years

and their half court offense is pretty dreadful not Pike's fault, the idea is right, the execution is wrong and just not enough speed, quickness awareness to move the ball the way it needs to be not to mention some pretty bad outside shooting which torpedoes everything

I think the offensive execution is catching a bad beat here. Execution is dreadful only in terms of putting the ball in the basket, Freeman spinning drives in the lane, and Nigel forcing the issue going to the hole. I though Pike got the offense tons of great looks and set plays out of timeouts seemed to be astrength rather than a weakness.

I think he also showed a willingness to adapt, via kicking the dribble hand off to the curb after the Penn State loss, and that ability to adapt has me backing Pike for the long haul. I'm truly only concerned about recruiting.

Last edited:
I Would love to see more this this as well. Better form on Jumpshots.

Basketball-Shooting-Form.jpg
BEEF

Forgot what letters stand for

As far as the single digit wins... when games are that close, coming down to one or two plays late, one would hope to win about half. In conference play, we won 4 and lost 7. With a more seasoned team with more experience in those situations, maybe we get 1-2 more wins.

Several times this year we were in good shape with 2-3 minutes left, only to walk away with the lose because our guys couldn't close. Just an incremental improvement there relative to our opponents could see a couple more wins.

I agree that a big leap (like 3-15 to 9-9) is highly unlikely... but I could see us in the 5-6 win range for conference play next year, hovering in the 11-13th range in the conference standings. Unless we see some big roster moves.
this is what I am hoping for....get me to 16-15/6-12 and win a game or even two in the Big 10 tourney...actually I will sign on the dotted line for that

the issue is what does RU have coming in to make it better and get over the hump and then comparing that to what other schools are bringing in. RU does not exist in a vacuum and for RU to move up they need to be getting better than those around them. Nebby really tanked at the end of the year but they still had some big wins this year, Huskerfan said they have top class coming in for this year. PSU got better with the young freshmen. They are looking to get over the hump as well. Illinois loses some players, picks up a new coach and gets the top class in the league and 11th in the country. Iowa won 10 league games with a freshmen dominated squad, they will be looking to make their NCAA push as they were a win or two away this year. Indiana loses Crean but has everyone back from a team that was wildly inconsistent and probably are adding a player of merit. Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State all figure to be as good or better in league. play. Wisconsin loses alot but do not count out their system to plug players in. They may fall to 2nd tier but are you willing to say RU passes them. Ohio State has been sputtering but are young. Can RU move ahead of Illinois, Ohio State, and Nebraska next year? Maybe...but is that good enough to avoid the play in game and no post season? Guess where RU will be picked by the media and coaches poll next year.
BAC- Outstanding summary of the challenges Rutgers faces next season against more talented league opponents.Rutgers is the worse shooting team in the league and will be next year unless there are changes in the roster that haven't happened yet.The notion that there will be improvement just because the team lost some close games could be said about every league team and for that matter most college teams.

Reactions: bac2therac
The notion that there will be improvement just because the team lost some close games could be said about every league team and for that matter most college teams.

It's not "the team lost some close games". There are a lot of close games in the conference every year - and on average, teams win 50% of them. One would expect that a team that won a very high or very low percentage of those close games would revert a bit to the mean the following season. Minnesota last year is a good example of where they ended up on the short end of the stick last season and were right in the middle of the pack this season.... last year saw 1-8 in conference games decided by single digits (11%, -3 from 50%), while this year they were 7-6 in those games (54%, +0.5).

Looking across the B1G at conference games decided by single digits:
75% - Maryland (8-4) (2 games above 50%)
67% - Wisconsin (6-3) (+1.5)

63% - Iowa (5-3) (+1)
58% - Northwestern (7-5) (+1)
55% - Purdue (5-4) (+0.5)
54% - Minnesota (7-6) (+0.5)

50% - Michigan (7-7)

45% - PA State (5-6) (-0.5)
45% - Nebraska (5-6) (-0.5)
44% - Illinois (4-5) (-0.5)
42% - Indiana (5-7) (-1)
40% - Michigan State (4-6) (-1)

40% - Ohio State (6-9) (-1.5)
36% - Rutgers (4-7) (-1.5)

10 of 14 conference teams were within a game of winning 50% of their single digit games. Maryland and Wisconsin were slightly above that, and Ohio State and Rutgers were slightly below that.... had we held onto our 5 pt lead with under 2 min left against Wisconsin at MSG, we both would have been within 1 game of 50%, leaving only Maryland and Ohio State as outliers (who played two single digit games against each other, both going to MD). Also of note, conference teams played an average of 11.1 single digit games against conference opponents, putting us right on mean there with 11.

I think this team learned a bit about how the level of play needs to step up in the final 3 minutes. Not only does that help win single digit games... but it can help change a game like @PA State (where we had a 9 point lead with 3:42 left) from a 2 point win to a 10+ point win. Maybe that helps tip 1-2 more games next year in our favor... not expecting it to get us to the postseason, though.

I like the analysis, but I think the band would need to be tightened a bit. I'd like to really know games within 6 at the 5 minute mark.

the general premise is encouraging....FTs are important

Reactions: RUChoppin
9 out of 18 games were 9 point games at the 5 minute mark. We were 2-7 in those 9. In those 9 on average we were down 1 point (not to negatively skewed)

The combined score in those 9 games (50 minutes as wisconsin went in to OT) 80-114.

@IOWA 53-52 turned in to 62-68
NEB 53-55 turned in to 65-64
@MD 51-60 turned in to 55-67
WIS 37-30 turned in to 54-61 OT
@OSU 57-59 turned in to 64-70
MIN 56-64 turned in to 63-72
@NW 56-53 turned in to 65-69
MICH 56-57 turned in to 64-68
ILL 55-54 turned in to 62-59

8 of the past 12 conference games were these games...a very good sign.

9 out of 18 games were 9 point games at the 5 minute mark. We were 2-7 in those 9. In those 9 on average we were down 1 point (not to negatively skewed)

The combined score in those 9 games (50 minutes as wisconsin went in to OT) 80-114.

@IOWA 53-52 turned in to 62-68
NEB 53-55 turned in to 65-64
@MD 51-60 turned in to 55-67
WIS 37-30 turned in to 54-61 OT
@OSU 57-59 turned in to 64-70
MIN 56-64 turned in to 63-72
@NW 56-53 turned in to 65-69
MICH 56-57 turned in to 64-68
ILL 55-54 turned in to 62-59

8 of the past 12 conference games were these games...a very good sign.

Good Stuff here FIG. Even if we can turn those 4 Home Games or 3-4 of them into wins that would be great. With the RAC being loud again, that is not a Pipe Dream. The team also just needs to improve it's execution down the stretch....the whole " Learn how to Win" thing that Pikiell talks about.

This is one of the reasons I'm confused by those stating a 4-5 game BIG Conference swing is totally and completely out of the question.

Good Stuff here FIG. Even if we can turn those 4 Home Games or 3-4 of them into wins that would be great. With the RAC being loud again, that is not a Pipe Dream. The team also just needs to improve it's execution down the stretch....the whole " Learn how to Win" thing that Pikiell talks about.

This is one of the reasons I'm confused by those stating a 4-5 game BIG Conference swing is totally and completely out of the question.

Well 2-7 going to 5-4 is a PLUS 3.

I am guilty here. Tough leaving emotions out of it watching your team lose so many close games and having the faith that it is part of the process and with another year under all players belts it is going to be better.

The bottom line is we are going to need improvement during the off season both individually and as a team. There is 1 player who will bear the largest burden of us winning the close ones. They guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

Well 2-7 going to 5-4 is a PLUS 3.

I am guilty here. Tough leaving emotions out of it watching your team lose so many close games and having the faith that it is part of the process and with another year under all players belts it is going to be better.

The bottom line is we are going to need improvement during the off season both individually and as a team. There is 1 player who will bear the largest burden of us winning the close ones. They guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

That may turn out to be a true PG in Souf Mensah, who will work to move the ball around.......time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think the offensive execution is catching a bad beat here. Execution is dreadful only in terms of putting the ball in the basket, Freeman spinning drives in the lane, and Nigel forcing the issue going to the hole. I though Pike got the offense tons of great looks and set plays out of timeouts seemed to be astrength rather than a weakness.

I think he also showed a willingness to adapt, via kicking the dribble hand off to the curb after the Penn State loss, and that ability to adapt has me backing Pike for the long haul. I'm truly only concerned about recruiting.
Without better talent through recruiting, individual player development can only make marginal improvement in team performance in a power conference.

Reactions: RickB113
wonder when this better player will arrive. Lake commited to ASU whom i was hoping was the Gettys patch for the year. Nigel gone. Doucoure no reclass or any wimb of that aside from this forum.

Show me some life!

wonder when this better player will arrive. Lake commited to ASU whom i was hoping was the Gettys patch for the year. Nigel gone. Doucoure no reclass or any wimb of that aside from this forum.

Show me some life!
Recruiting isn't easy at Rutgers because there always is competition for the more talented players and Rutgers gets the leftovers.

@RUJMM78 well aware my friend. Would of thought the new buzz would help us draw a few kids. Better get Doucoure to sign on the line immediately before he gets a change of heart.

Doucoure is fine and there are at least 15-20 kids on the radar as grad transfers/JUCO's or 5th year kids....if Doucoure stays in class of 2018, that's perfect as well, if you can land another fit as a 5th year post player or PF....

There are a few names that have been tracked for at least 3 months that can help RU and immediately are better than Souf and half the roster on the offensive end (or would project into the Top 8-9 rotation immediately...I expect to get at least two of those pieces and then Doucoure can stay in 2018...if not, he can reclassify to 2017 and contribute.....no point in naming 15-20 names and landing 1 of them, some people here would classify that as a failure because 14 of the 15 or 19 of the 20 names would land elsewhere.....

Once the ships open up, the roster will be retooled and improved....100% certain of that...

N.C State, Illinois, Missouri, Boston College, Arionza State and Maryland - and Rutgers.

Tough list to compete with for Zouzoua

I am going to go on record and not like the idea of adding Zouzoua

1. these days you have to view it 2 scholarship years for 1 playing year
2. we really should be in building mode, molding guys over 4 years
3. he is a 2. I have always believed the odd numbers are rare commoditites (1,3 and 5) and the even numbers are a dime a dozen (2 and 4)

I am going to go on record and not like the idea of adding Zouzoua

1. these days you have to view it 2 scholarship years for 1 playing year
2. we really should be in building mode, molding guys over 4 years
3. he is a 2. I have always believed the odd numbers are rare commoditites (1,3 and 5) and the even numbers are a dime a dozen (2 and 4)

I think you have to take this kid if you could get him. He will play two years, and sit one.

He is leaving because he is above the level of competition he is currently seeing, and has done very well against top teams in the country. Him and Baker could be combo guards.

I agree with the building mode. But you still give this kid a chance if you can get him.

Reactions: biazza38
Higs, what Green is saying is that the kid would sit a year, then play one and then possibly do what Nigel did, be a 5th year grad transfer, so we tie-up 2 years and only get one. If the staff thinks its worth the risk of this happening because he can help us, then ok, but staffs have to be careful with transfers now.

Higs, what Green is saying is that the kid would sit a year, then play one and then possibly do what Nigel did, be a 5th year grad transfer, so we tie-up 2 years and only get one. If the staff thinks its worth the risk of this happening because he can help us, then ok, but staffs have to be careful with transfers now.

Possibly. But Johnson was a different case. He would not have to share time with anyone.

Williams gone after next year, then Zouzou plays in his spot. Him and Baker could be combo guards.

I like a build to, but with this level of talent, I think you take it.

Playmakers, not just players.

Jon, That is interesting. I also am a little worried that Zouzoua just might only play one year and than transfer as a 5th year grad student. One guy mentioned that he would like a back court of of Geo Baker and Tavon Jones. It would be nice to see as I think both could be difficult to guard. Tavon is very much a team player and plays very good defense as well.

Reactions: biazza38
I think it is best right now for everyone to assume Geo Baker is going to ultimately be a piece to the puzzle, perhaps a guy that ultimately plays 10-20 MPG as a 3rd guard as an upperclassmen. This is based off of nothing. I just hate when people assume or hope or expect to much out of new players. Lower expectations and be pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded. Most RU fans do this with almost every player.

Reactions: cyrock3
Jon, That is interesting. I also am a little worried that Zouzoua just might only play one year and than transfer as a 5th year grad student. One guy mentioned that he would like a back court of of Geo Baker and Tavon Jones. It would be nice to see as I think both could be difficult to guard. Tavon is very much a team player and plays very good defense as well.

You have seen him enough to know. It seems though that Pikiell is set on kids that will really be known at the next level to succeed. Heart, and skill, yes, but will they be able to take the program to where they want it?I think that is what keeps them from going after Jones. He is now rated at four stars.

Still no offer from Ru, correct?I guess the staff is seeing something else.

Isaiah Still from Union Catholic is leaving Robert Morris - scored alot for them - will sit a year

Sit one - play two

Thanks
Isaiah Still from Union Catholic is leaving Robert Morris - scored alot for them - will sit a year

Sit one - play two
for the heads up.

I assume Pikiell will be very cautious with these 3 years scholarship, two playing guys.

It only makes sense. Still looks like a player. Hell end up somewhere contributing.

ADVERTISEMENT