ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell on Omoruyi and more (NJ.com interview)

It upset me a bit several weeks ago that someone speculated that McConnell just might be out of the rotation. That person has no clue how much some people think of McConnell's game. He will definitely be in the rotation.

I called out that poster. Boy, does he love to put those minute charts together. And he gave Caleb scraps.

Caleb will produce big time for us this year. Can’t wait.

It’s funny you should talk about his “ceiling“ after the first game. I saw Coach Vetrone in Henry’s diner after that first game. I complemented the team and he responded that he thought they were terrible, and singled out McConnell. I said that I thought he had a high ceiling. Vetrone actually looked annoyed that I said that and his response was “right now his ceiling is in the basement.“
Thank you for sharing that private conversation with one of our current coaches bashing one of our current players.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Welp, Caleb was dissed by one of our volume posters who loves to project minutes played etc.

I think he will play a very important role on this year’s team.

I don't think anyone dissed Caleb. Until Eugene left, and potentially a bit now, there just are/were not enough minutes to go around. If there are only 120-160 minutes to go to perimeter players than a few people are left out. It is simple as that.

Barring injures there still will be FIERCE competition for minutes and not everyone will win. Unless we plan to play a ton of OT games there will be 1 or more players that most will be surprised by their PT.

I called out that poster. Boy, does he love to put those minute charts together. And he gave Caleb scraps.

It's the idiots that don't know what we have in McConnell that you can ignore

Reactions: Scarlet83
I don't think anyone dissed Caleb. Until Eugene left, and potentially a bit now, there just are/were not enough minutes to go around. If there are only 120-160 minutes to go to perimeter players than a few people are left out. It is simple as that.

Barring injures there still will be FIERCE competition for minutes and not everyone will win. Unless we plan to play a ton of OT games there will be 1 or more players that most will be surprised by their PT.

Good players earn minutes. Caleb is a good player who is under appreciated by some posters.

Can’t wait for the season.

Good players earn minutes. Caleb is a good player who is under appreciated by some posters.

Can’t wait for the season.

Not true....in a team of good, great and elite players the good ones make awesome practice players.

This comes down to math
Baker+Young+Mulcahy+Kiss+Mathis+Caleb+Yeboah+Harper=140 to 160 minutes.

If you want to say Carter Myles and Duke share the 5 and play NO 2 bigs AND want to give up on Kiss (i am not ready) you then have 7 for 160 and the math could work....

EXAMPLE
Baker 28
Young 20
Mulcahy 14
Mathis 26
Caleb 20
Yeboah 26
Harper 26
Total 160

BELOW IS A GUESS.....All 8 (including Kiss) I can honestly say I don't have a handle on exactly what type of players they are and where they fit. Maybe Baker is the only one, but I see a lot of flaws in his game SO FAR.

Not true....in a team of good, great and elite players the good ones make awesome practice players.

This comes down to math
Baker+Young+Mulcahy+Kiss+Mathis+Caleb+Yeboah+Harper=140 to 160 minutes.

If you want to say Carter Myles and Duke share the 5 and play NO 2 bigs AND want to give up on Kiss (i am not ready) you then have 7 for 160 and the math could work....

EXAMPLE
Baker 28
Young 20
Mulcahy 14
Mathis 26
Caleb 20
Yeboah 26
Harper 26
Total 160

BELOW IS A GUESS.....All 8 (including Kiss) I can honestly say I don't have a handle on exactly what type of players they are and where they fit. Maybe Baker is the only one, but I see a lot of flaws in his game SO FAR.

You are awesomely consistent.

agreed. Caleb is going to be a real key player this year. I've heard big things about him this off-season. Beginning of last year I was kind of low on him as he was so tentative but as the season went on he became arguably our best back court player. Expect a monster year from caleb

Want to call me out again ?!? ....go for it

Ditto knights1212 ...

Some of you guys are amazing....

I was one of those posters that said when Eugene was still expected around with yeboah that Caleb might be the odd guy out If we went to a 8 man rotation ...as 200 minutes is hard to keep more than 8 guys happy

Apparantly people can’t understand the difference between the concept that I said that he is a very talented guy, a guy that would be starting on well over half of our non NCAA teams over the past 29 minutes but the fast that I really some of the other talent on the team a little better

And before euegene transferee...I had ahead of him

1.) baker
2.) Eugene
3.) Harper
4.) Mathis
5.) Johnson
6.) Mulchay
7.) young

Ahead of Caleb and yeboah fighting out for number 8 and 9...with carter, kiss, doucoure

And this was before rumors surfaced on spring work workouts.

If you want to say Caleb is ahead of some of those guys...that’s fine and your opinion. I’m root for all of the guys the same and name of the front of the jersey ...and if he the best...then that’s great. It’s just not now I see it.

But jeez...for the others, I guess it’s a

Sadly, this board is becoming difficult with more traffic coming on the program gets better

Ah, the joys of progress

Want to call me out again ?!? ....go for it

Ditto knights1212 ...

Some of you guys are amazing....

I was one of those posters that said when Eugene was still expected around with yeboah that Caleb might be the odd guy out If we went to a 8 man rotation ...as 200 minutes is hard to keep more than 8 guys happy

Apparantly people can’t understand the difference between the concept that I said that he is a very talented guy, a guy that would be starting on well over half of our non NCAA teams over the past 29 minutes but the fast that I really some of the other talent on the team a little better

And before euegene transferee...I had ahead of him

1.) baker
2.) Eugene
3.) Harper
4.) Mathis
5.) Johnson
6.) Mulchay
7.) young

Ahead of Caleb and yeboah fighting out for number 8 and 9...with carter, kiss, doucoure

And this was before rumors surfaced on spring work workouts.

If you want to say Caleb is ahead of some of those guys...that’s fine and your opinion. I’m root for all of the guys the same and name of the front of the jersey ...and if he the best...then that’s great. It’s just not now I see it.

But jeez...for the others, I guess it’s a

Sadly, this board is becoming difficult with more traffic coming on the program gets better

Ah, the joys of progress

It’s OK to disagree. I also root for our players the same. I root for exciting games and Rutgers wins. I desperately want to win. I happen to think Caleb will play a big role on this team and our success this year. So do others. Some people don’t see that. As I said, I believe Caleb’s abilities are under appreciated by some fans.

Can’t wait for this season!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
You may be right and SS wrong. These are just guesses. Zero sum game with minutes.

If your arguement is Caleb is a 20 plus minute guy that is great. Everyone can’t be 20 plus guys.

Thank you for sharing that private conversation with one of our current coaches bashing one of our current players.
For goodness sake‘s, I just saw this. First, why would you assume the conversation was so “private”? It was certainly said for the benefit of not only me, but the three people on line with me at Henry’s, and was said loud enough for probably another 10 people in that line to hear. Second, that was a long time ago, and Caleb certainly knows he has the confidence of the staff now; you would’ve had a better point if I had posted this last year on the heels of a bad debut – – at this point it is not an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT