ADVERTISEMENT

Placing Ohio State on Upset Alert!!

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
At first glance, Rutgers would appear to have no chance against Ohio State. Previous contests have not been competitive, with Ohio State smoking Rutgers by 22+ points every time they've met. Most Rutgers fans consider Ohio State to be the Gold Standard that Rutgers aspires to be.

But this year. is different. Ohio States defense is not performing on the same level as previous defenses, and the program has lost its aura of invincibility. My impression is that OSU is playing a lot of new kids on defense this year, and they are acclimating to this level of play, which is a huge step up from High School. Furthermore, the quarterbacks who have played thus far this year are fairly green, while Rutgers quarterback is experienced. This is where home field advantage might loom large. Finally, it looks like Rutgers defense is one of the best in the nation. These three factors provide Rutgers with a path to success.

Ohio States defense yielded 164 rushing yards to Minnesota's Mohamed Ibrahim and 161 rushing yards to Oregon's CJ Verdell. Minnesota held the ball for 38:41 and Oregon held the ball for 29:46 vs OSUs 30:14. Similarly, For Rutgers to be successful, we will need similar productivity from Isaih Pacheco, and either win Time of Possession, or have similar Time of Possession. Pacheco certainly has the potential to be productive against Ohio State. Against Michigan, he ran 20 Times for 107 yards, a 5.4 ypc Average. Rutgers Offensive Line seemed to dominate Michigan in the 2nd half, as Rutgers won Time of Possession 32:37. I'm optimistic, they'll be able to do the same to Ohio State.

To be more successful, in the redzone, Rutgers is going to have to deliver the ball to its playmakers who have size. Tight End Jovani Haskins at 6'6" 250 lbs certainly qualifies. Wide Receiver Isaiah Washington at 6'3" 210 lbs does as well.

Rutgers also has a collection of smaller receivers who are fast. Bo Melton, who is the teams leading receiver, had 7 catches for 86 yards against Ohio State last year, and is averaging 63 yards receiving this year. Aron Cruickshank, who is the teams #2 Receiver, and had 50 receiving yards against Ohio State last year, is averaging 26 receiving yards per game.

This will be the first time in Rutgers Stadium for both Ohio States Quarterbacks. We're expecting a crowd of 50K, give or take a few thousand. What this means, is that this will be the most hostile crowd that the Ohio State Quarterbacks have encountered thus far. What's special about Rutgers Stadium is that its design traps the sound, making it more difficult for opponents, much like Autzen Stadium in Oregon. Ohio State hasn't encountered a Rutgers Stadium environment like this, because prior Rutgers teams haven't been very good. With Rutgers looking at least competitive, all the Rutgers fans will represent well, making the stadium atmosphere special, and especially loud. In contrast, Rutgers brings a seasoned signal caller to the battle, Noah Vedral. Noah is the biggest reason for Rutgers significant improvement in a short amount of time. He isn't flashy, but gets the job done, and rarely makes mistakes. He is averaging 190.5 yards passing and 29.25 yards rushing per game.

Rutgers brings a #11 Defensive Ranking in terms of total yards allowed, to its game with Ohio State. It held Michigan below its seasonal averages, 112 yards rushing and 163 yards passing. Key to Rutgers defensive effort is #50 Nose Tackle Julius Turner, who is playing the best football of his career. Julius was tossed from the Michigan Game due to targeting, but should be back for Ohio State. He regular defeats larger lineman with his strength and quickness, and has spent a fair amount of time in opponents backfields. Julius is complemented by surefire NFL draft pick Olakunle Fatukasi, who is also an All American Candidate. Fatukasi led Rutgers with 8 tackles against Michigan, and for the season, he has 39 tackles. Ohio State Transfer Tre Avery is our best corner, and is also having a great season in coverage, and will likely be an NFL draft pick. Free Safety Avery Young moved back from Corner, and has improved our pass coverage. He is #2 on the team in tackles with 25. Rutgers lost one of our starting corners, Max Melton, to an off field incident, though his replacements, Kessawn Abraham and Patrice Rene, performed well against Michigan. Rutgers will try to use pressure and its home field advantage to limit Ohio States explosive offense, as best it can.

Rutgers will try to use its significant home field advantage and tough defense to limit Ohio States explosive offense, a task easier said, then done. With Ohio State, we have to pick our poison. Just like in the Michigan Game, I expect us to use an 8 man front to mitigate OSU's rushing attack. Despite allowing a ton of passing yards, 484, Oregon was able to hold Ohio States rushing attack to 128 yards rushing, while rushing for 269 yards total. If Rutgers can perform similarly, and also force some turnovers, it should be successful and victorious. This Saturday, in front of the most raucous Rutgers Stadium atmosphere in Ages, Rutgers pulls it out.

Rutgers 24
Ohio State 21

Al presents excellent arguments for a guaranteed win.

If I were an OSU fan, I would be very scared going into this game.

As far as his streak is concerned, all streaks must come to an end eventually.

This week could be it. Last week was very close.

Glad to see you are back RutgersAl!

Why not Rutgers over Ohio State?
Agree and to any Ohio State Buckeyes checking out this thread:
Buckeye, you're an old man, poor man
Pleading with your eyes, gonna get you some peace someday
You got mud on your face, big disgrace
The Scarlet Knights will put you back into your place, do it!
We will, we will chop you, yeah, yeah, come on
We will, we will chop you, alright, louder!
We will, we will chop you, one more time
We will, we will chop you
Yeah
( apologies to Queen & Brian Harold May for changing their lyrics of We Will Rock You to fit the upset discussion going on in this thread)

Reactions: rutgersal
Agree and to any Ohio State Buckeyes checking out this thread:
Buckeye, you're an old man, poor man
Pleading with your eyes, gonna get you some peace someday
You got mud on your face, big disgrace
The Scarlet Knights will put you back into your place, do it!
We will, we will chop you, yeah, yeah, come on
We will, we will chop you, alright, louder!
We will, we will chop you, one more time
We will, we will chop you
Yeah
( apologies to Queen & Brian Harold May for changing their lyrics of We Will Rock You to fit the upset discussion going on in this thread)
Actually sounds like a great new cheer. What about getting it to the stadium scoreboard people and commence the new cheer. Sound would be pretty awesome. Change first word for every team, obvyyy

Seriously tired to predict an upset every single week and always be wrong. Do it once in a while when it seems likely.

Seriously tired to predict an upset every single week and always be wrong. Do it once in a while when it seems likely.
Being positive and looking on the bright side and ways RU can win , to me, is far better than predicting doom and gloom every time Rutgers plays an opponent that is supposed to be superior..

Some are pessimistic when it comes to RU playing an opponent that by rights should beat them. Those people can be considered realist and have little use for the fans that share their
we can fantasy

For the Culture surrounding RU FB to improve, it needs more we can optimists like Al and less doom and gloom thoughts of the we can't "realists" .

Al may be a die-hard Rutgers fan, but posting an upset alert for every game we are underdogs is trite.

Watch, Michigan State will be on UPSET ALERT next week unless we are somehow favored over them because we win this week and MSU loses.

Reactions: Section124
Al may be a die-hard Rutgers fan, but posting an upset alert for every game we are underdogs is trite.

Watch, Michigan State will be on UPSET ALERT next week unless we are somehow favored over them because we win this week and MSU loses.
Well an upset alert every game RU's the underdog is far better then seeing a "Loss Alert" basically saying :
a-barbed-wire-foreground-with-abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here-sign-with-a-heavy-grunge-effect-the-sign-at-the-gates-of-hell-2DBCP54.jpg

I think we have a realistic chance of winning tomorrow, and I predict we will beat the Spartans next week as long as no key Knights are injured between now and next Saturday.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Being positive and looking on the bright side and ways RU can win , to me, is far better than predicting doom and gloom every time Rutgers plays an opponent that is supposed to be superior..

Some are pessimistic when it comes to RU playing an opponent that by rights should beat them. Those people can be considered realist and have little use for the fans that share their
we can fantasy

For the Culture surrounding RU FB to improve, it needs more we can optimists like Al and less doom and gloom thoughts of the we can't "realists" .
Optimistic is "maybe we can win this week, the team put up a good fight away at Michigan." Silly and conceited sounding is putting every opponent on "upset alert."

RutgersAl put a lot of thought and work into this post. I agree with him. It will be tough scoring in the red zone, and the Langan Bash may not work as good as it does against other teams. I think Melton is going to have to be involved. I am hoping for four turnovers in Rutgers' favor, and maybe if the fans are loud enough and mess up some OSU plays, it might happen. In reality RU only has about a 10 percent chance to win, but maybe it will be their day.

But wait. Burpeyes beat Akron, (woo), Minnesota (just beaten by the Boy Scout allstars), and Tulsa (now getting destroyed by Houston), so there are those...

RutgersAl put a lot of thought and work into this post. I agree with him. It will be tough scoring in the red zone, and the Langan Bash may not work as good as it does against other teams. I think Melton is going to have to be involved. I am hoping for four turnovers in Rutgers' favor, and maybe if the fans are loud enough and mess up some OSU plays, it might happen. In reality RU only has about a 10 percent chance to win, but maybe it will be their day.

Melton and Cruickshank are going to have to win their 1-1 matchups. Interestingly, Oregon beat Ohio State with their quarterback and running back comprising most of the offense.
The running back had 161 yards rushing and 34 yards receiving. Rutgers might be able to do similarly with Pacheco running for 110 yards against Michigan.

You don’t think at this point it’s a little ridiculous? The guy predicts an upset in every game we are big underdogs. It’s like a weatherman predicting a tsunami every day

The horror! A fan predicting an upset for every game on a fan messageboard. Call the 👮‍♂️

Making fun of Al’s posts somehow confers coolness or righteousness from our board members…..in their own eyes.
Isn't busting Al a board pastime? I do it in good fun. In my own eyes, if I didn't think he could take it, I wouldn't do it. Cheers to all the hopeless optimists, pragmatists, and miserable pessimists.

GO RU!

You don’t think at this point it’s a little ridiculous? The guy predicts an upset in every game we are big underdogs. It’s like a weatherman predicting a tsunami every day
I'm not commenting on the merit of his posts. What irks me are all the comments that follow his posts which are redundant and unecessary and mainly done in the spirit of "I am a better person than Al and am qualified to pass judgment on him".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT