ADVERTISEMENT

Please excuse my ignorance

Jul 31, 2005
I root for Rutgers in all sports and admittedly have followed some of the other sports more in depth. Here's my question.
When or why did they make a takedown worth 3 points? How well has this been received by college wrestling aficionados?

Reactions: DUForever
I root for Rutgers in all sports and admittedly have followed some of the other sports more in depth. Here's my question.
When or why did they make a takedown worth 3 points? How well has this been received by college wrestling aficionados?
This is the first season with a three point takedown. I think the change was to encourage more scoring/match the rules closer to freestyle where takedowns are more important.
Still too early to tell how people are taking to the rule.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This is the first season with a three point takedown. I think the change was to encourage more scoring/match the rules closer to freestyle where takedowns are more important.
Still too early to tell how people are taking to the rule.
Personally I think it’s great, as I never thought it was fair how a guy can get a few takedowns on a guy, cut him loose, and the score still be pretty close. I do think reversals should be worth 3 though if takedowns are.

Excellent point!
That would just encourage more cutting.

If I were on the rules committee I would have suggested a modified referee position where after approx 30 seconds and it’s obvious there is no offense taking place, put them on their feet like freestyle. It makes getting that riding point harder while still preserving mat wrestling by giving the top wrestler the chance to get a turn.

I also like the idea of a 4 point feet to back takedown line freestyle.

Those changes make more sense than a 3 point TD and preserve the good parts of folk style while still incorporating some elements of freestyle and encouraging scoring.

Reactions: MS-RU
Eliminate the escape point following takedowns/reversals
There were too many scenarios before where a wrestler could win a close match (no backs) with fewer takedowns than an opponent. The three-point takedown pretty much assures that the person with the most takedowns wins a close match.

There were too many scenarios before where a wrestler could win a close match (no backs) with fewer takedowns than an opponent. The three-point takedown pretty much assures that the person with the most takedowns wins a close match.
In theory it’s still possible:

Takedown/escape 3-1
Trailing guy escapes to start period 2… 3-2
Trailing guy rides out and earns riding time point… 3-3.

Escape and ride out in tiebreakers and you can win a match while losing the takedown battle 1-0 which wouldn’t happen if you get rid of the escape point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT