ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: OT: Do you tip gas station attendants in NJ?

OT: Do you tip gas station attendants in NJ?

• No

Votes: 225 93.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters
In places like the bagel store or coffee shop, where they have a tip jar, I typically leave whatever change I get, up to a dollar. Those folks are paid a wage and not a very low wage, like waiters/waitresses/bartenders/delivery people (who I typically tip 20-25%), so I don't tip them as much and I certainly don't tip the cashier at the QuickChek, or in a store in the mall.

I spent a lot of time in Ireland, where tips are usually not expected/required, so I usually wouldn't, except for with people I got to know like the barmen in a couple of my favorite pubs. For them, we actually talked about it and they said that if was going to tip, to do it at the end of the night and not after every drink, as it just looked odd to people. So I'd usually tip them a 5 pound note at the end of the night and they did appreciate it - that was in the 90s and early 2000s - not sure if that's changed since then.

This thread has been interesting. Not only do I tip the gas attendant, I truly don't think I have ever been a passenger (of a NJ driver) in a car where the driver didn't tip at a gas station.

If I buy gas in Jersey while passing thru, it' s because it' s cheaper than home, where I pump my own. Why should I give away my savings because the state has a stupid law.

For the gas station attendants:
Growler_Mr.Pink_ver1-e1366765396565.jpg

Reactions: S.B. Crumb
Numbers
My first time in Ireland, I tipped a bartender. About five minutes later, he found me in a crowded bar and politely gave my tip back.

On rare occasions, when the attendant makes an effort to serve me quickly at an overcrowded station, takes extra care with filling up my car (like I do so when pumping myself), or maybe even if they are working on a holiday/in particularly miserable weather, I'll give them an extra buck. Otherwise, it's a silly New Jersey law and their job to pump the gas. I especially don't intend on tipping if they're clueless, careless, or have had to wait more than a few minutes just to reach the pump..

Agree. It's absurd. I always say "wait, you don't make server minimum wage, right?" ...typically I get a very "scoffy" look. Oh well.

Well, that's because you're just being a douche ...unless they overextend by asking for the tip.

I used to work at a high traffic coffee shop and tips added an extra dollar or two an hour, so though you're not tipping, the jar's probably getting filled.

I will occasionally took them if they clean my windows, if I'm feeling super generous that day, or if it looks like a little tip is going to help them out. But that might be once a year.
I do know one poster before stated that other countries do not believe in tipping. But that is also because they pay their employees a living wage and where you can make a career out of being a cabbie or a server. Plus they get an absurd amount of vacation time

Worked gas station back in 80s when I was 18 and got lots of tips especially on the holidays

I never have.

My father in law, though, makes sure he fills his tank when he visits from NY because gas is cheaper here... but then he tips the attendant a couple of bucks for pumping it. Makes absolutely no sense.

In 60s I worked as a gas jockey in HS part time and remember getting tipped occasionally.
I checked everything including air when asked.
Then it was a dime or quarter usually.
So last time I went to Jersey and filled up, tipped a dollar
I find nothing wrong with tipping low wage workers when the service is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: FanuSanu52
I don't tip gas station attendants, supermarket cashiers, the drive-through clerk at McDonald's, the sandwich maker at QuickChek/Wawa, or the guy at Home Depot who cuts lumber. Nor do I tip my pharmacist, finacial advisor, dental hygienist, or Rutgers ticket agent.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
There needs to be a Depends category.
I have when an attendant takes the time to wash my front and back windows. This doesn't happen often, but when they do, I tip.

Reactions: thad23
I would rather pump my own gas than wait around for a guy to do it slower. If there was self serve and full serve and chose to have someone else do it, that might be different.

Do some of you tip the grocery clerk? The McDonalds drive thru?

It's funny how non-tippers are the indignant ones.

No one cares that you don't tip. It's being so in your face about it that makes you a cheap a $$.

Reactions: gringo
It's funny how non-tippers are the indignant ones.

No one cares that you don't tip. It's being so in your face about it that makes you a cheap a $$.
I do not tip gas station attendants. With that said, growing up boating it wasn't even a second thought about not tipping the gas dock attendant.

ummm... no... i'd rather pump my own gas anyways instead of a little dick wad.. i'd be in and out much faster

I'm also pumped gas in high school and rarely, very rarely, received a tip. My main concern was not pumping too much gas when someone came in and asked for $10. If I pumped $10.50, the extra came out of my pay. We regularly washed the windows when someone filled up and we weren't concerned about the meter going over what the customer asked for.

I do tip the car wash guys who dry my car after it is run thru the wash. Not sure why that is so much different but they seem to be hustling and going above and beyond.

Last edited:
I'd rather pump my own gas, so no I don't....... They aren't going above and beyond, they are just doing there job. Interesting point someone made about the car was towel guys though.....

Isn't the cost of them pumping my gas already factored into the price

Someone handed you a Penthouse?

Hopefully none of the pages were stuck together...

Actually it was weirder than being handed the Penthouse. I had a Jeep Wrangler at the time and it was the summer, so it was parked on the side of the gas station with the top down. When my shift ended that night and I went to my Jeep, the Penthouse was sitting on the passenger seat. Not sure what went on in there while I was working!!

If they were to clean the windshield/back window (which I haven't had happen in several years) I'll tip a couple bucks. Otherwise, no. As for baristas (as for the go to college crowd what do you think a large percentage of them are doing) I'll tip the change. Sometimes it's a quarter, other times closer to a full dollar. It goes appreciated and for me I prefer the good karma of giving something a little extra.

I remember when they automatically checked your oil, cleaned the front
and back windows, gave you a big hello, and a thank you. I still
don't think they got tips.

If the gas station attendant is a hot chick wearing a thong who lets met stick the tip in her bikini, then and only then will I tip.

You have the guy wash your windows in the rain?

No tipping in NZ. Not waiters, not cabbies, not barbers, not bell staff. And we don't want to get it started, either.

True story: When we moved here and our stuff finally arrived, we hired a local firm to deliver to our rental home. It was the owner of the truck/firm and his two workers. They worked like dogs carrying stuff up tricky stairwells all day. The owner and I struck up a friendly conversation and I learned his wife worked at the local Cadbury's chocolate factory. So, at the end of the day I said, "Listen I know we don't tip here in NZ, but you guys have worked so hard, and I come from Jersey where we basically tip anything that moves." He replied, "It's my company, mate, so I couldn't possibly take a tip, but if you really want, something small for the boys would be OK I guess." I gave each of them $20 and they thought they were in heaven. The couldn't believe it. And then? Two days later we come home and there are three bags of chocolates from Cadbury's on our doorstep. Yep, the guy tipped us!
If anyone needs a bucket list country to visit - put New Zealand on it - particularly South Island. Best damn vacation we've had -- just a great country. Can't wait to get back and roam northern part of South Island and all of North Island.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT