ADVERTISEMENT

POLL--Would you like to see NEW JERSEY on the new uniforms ?

Would you like to see NEW JERSEY on the back of the new uniforms

• Yes,but only on the home uniforms

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Yes,but only on the road uniforms

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • Yes,but only once a year

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Yes,on both the home and away uniforms

Votes: 74 20.5%
  • No

Votes: 245 67.9%

• Total voters

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I was just wondering what people would think about this with the announcement that we will be getting new uniforms soon---

Subtle & dignified symbol - OK
but absolutely NO obnoxious passive aggressive efforts at identity transformation - this is RUTGERS

Absolutely not. It reeks of "look at me!!"

Do you see Univ Buffalo's uniforms? it says NEW YORK in big letters. It looks ridiculous.I know it's part of SUNY but guess what it's Buffalo.

Our school is RUTGERS. Not NEW JERSEY

This is exactly what I was thinking of, though we have more of a unified claim to NJ than Buffalo does to NY.

I am not at all a self-loathing New Jerseyan, but the name of the school is Rutgers. Maybe a state silhouette patch somewhere would be okay, as suggested above.

Remember all the jokes back in 08-09 about Schiano building his house inside the stadium? If he had the chance to get his beef on daily, Patrick would probably move into the stadium.

I don't understand how you guys and gals can't love this:

7kjJ9Cc_zpsbe6rbxfq.png

RutgersScarletKnights_zps9e6c24c9.jpg

Small outline of NJ on the back of the helmet like most colleges have: Miami, Florida, Texas, Alabama, LSU, etc.

THAT'S IT!!!!

Those colleges ALL have the state name or world renowned city already in the name though. It the STATE's flagship university but should say NJ in a prominent place? How should non-grads embrace it if the state is not featured or acknowledged?

I voted NO, but I'd be okay with it if someone could assure me that New Jersey taxpayers, media and politicians would stop bitching about us.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Nope maybe an NJ patch, or the state on a patch, but we are RU
We are "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey."

From the other side of the continent, I don't get the resistance. There's a lot of identity pride to be had there, and I've never thought that it came at the expense of the "Rutgers" name. From Sinatra to Springsteen, there's a lot of cultural gravitas that comes from digging in that soil and putting New Jersey out there alongside the state's most prominent sports brand. Slapping "New Jersey" on our uniforms isn't the best idea I've ever heard, but I want to see more "NEW JERSEY" in the stadium during home telecasts.

If you voted no in this poll, you are no more against New Jersey than the people who voted the opposite way. I'm proud of my home state of New Jersey. I also love America. So we could put "New Jersey" and the state flag and the American flag, and Uncle Sam and the Constitution of the United States plastered all over the uniforms. But because we do not, does NOT make any of us less American or less New Jerseyan.

I've seen the uniforms with "New Jersey" and the silhouette logo of the state outlined prominently displayed on uniforms and helmets from the past. I just think it looks too busy... too much like a billboard on cletes. It doesn't come across well on television. I like the idea of the state outline logo on the back of the helmet by the neck. When close-ups are taken after plays, you will notice that. But at the same time, Rutgers retains its identity with its iconic "R" prominently displayed on the helmet.

If you voted no in this poll, you are no more against New Jersey than the people who voted the opposite way. I'm proud of my home state of New Jersey. I also love America. So we could put "New Jersey" and the state flag and the American flag, and Uncle Sam and the Constitution of the United States plastered all over the uniforms. But because we do not, does NOT make any of us less American or less New Jerseyan.
That is different because we are "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey," not "Rutgers, The Federal University of America." Every team Rutgers plays is also American, but we don't play any other NJ teams.

Purdue, Clemson, Rutgers..

In Rutgers case, there already was a College of New Jersey when we were founded and even when we became the Land Grant school. Heck, New Jersey was a colony and the name forced on us by Britain. Maybe we should have Lennape or even New Netherlands on the jersies.

Anyway.. Princeton changed its name in 1896. And by 1946-1956, when we became the State U, we had been Rutgers for well over 100 years.

So, no, we need not have NJ anywhere... But if the shape of the state were on the back of the helmet or on an embroidery on the v in the neck.. that would be okay. We just shouldn't force the issue and make something ugly.

Reactions: Peteyd
There should be an outline of the state behind the block R on both the 50 yard line and mid-court.
No.

Not the uniforms.

Either swap the "R" at midfield for the New Jersey silhouette or bring back "NEW JERSEY" in the North End Zone.
No.

Those colleges ALL have the state name or world renowned city already in the name though. It the STATE's flagship university but should say NJ in a prominent place? How should non-grads embrace it if the state is not featured or acknowledged?
The silhouette (either on the back of the helmet or the neck yoke) is enough of a feature.

Voted no but maybe a small symbol such as "NJ", state flag or outline of the state map on some part of the helmet or uniform.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT