ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Targets

aplus29

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2003
Randolph
With 3 open scholarships, I thought I'd get the ball rolling on potential targets. I hope we fill two, and we need a big and shooter:

SG - My number 1 target is Kruz Perrott-Hunt (South Dakota) - shoots 40% from 3, grad transfer...would be ideal replacement for Cam

Bigs - Arthur Kaluma (Creighton) , Grant Nelson (NDSU), Alexis Yetna (Seton Hall), Olivier Nkamhoua (Tennessee), - top talents, probably out of our price range or headed to NBA

would look at Daniel Deaver (Navy), Ibrahima Diallo (Ohio State --> SJSU)

Chime in and let me know your thoughts

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if we get anyone…perhaps other than an Agee-type who has been passed over.

Appropriate to add in JUCO guys?
Whatever happened with Juslin Bodo? and Emmanuel Ogbole?

sure, we have been involved with both for awhile...both are good candidates, need that third big for the inevitable game when Cliff gets 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes...i would prefer a 4/5 type that can score bc i don't think Mag will be back before January...and Hyatt is not a 4

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I mean you're listing the best guys in the portal. We're not going to be in the mix for any of them.
then how did we get Cam and Noah in the past two years? these are some of the better guys left in the portal...we are in the B1G, have major minutes to offer, and many teams have already filled out rosters

Last edited:
Because they were far from the best available at the time.

Kaluma is 13
Nelson is 17
Nkamhoua is 19

Fernandes is not ranked in the top 100 or honorable mentions

and i said Kaluma, Nelson, and Nkamhoua were probably our of range...specifically said Deaver or Diallo...

whats you wet blanket take on these two?

and i said Kaluma, Nelson, and Nkamhoua were probably our of range...specifically said Deaver or Diallo...

whats you wet blanket take on these two?
Diallo committed to UCF

Deaver entered the portal two and a half months ago but there hasn't been a whisper about him, so I wonder if he just did that to keep his options open but maybe doesn't intend to play this coming year. No visits, no "has heard from the following schools," etc.

So with every passing day and workouts starting, Paul not saying he’s back in is troubling. Also, it seems no help is on the way.

Cliff, Aundre, Gavin, Derek, Noah

Wolf, Chol and Davis (fingers crossed) off the bench

Mag when healthy?

That’s it right?

Seems like the staff wants to bring in someone with experience who can play the 4, but I always liked Bodo as a big and Ogbole is interesting as well
At this point, as 11-12th guys, you have to be happy with either of these guys (if everything else is a fit)

I really like Wolf, but his PF/40 last season was 8.3 and you gotta have another big for practice.

Reactions: Scangg
Ok...here is my attempt to Money Ball our 3pt shooting from last year.

Good news is it looks like we are as good as we were last year after losing Cam because we also lose Caleb's 20% shooting and I think can assume Cliff's post Jan attempt rate (which was lower) helps a little.

Bad news is we stay a bad 3pt shooting team, unless somehow there is a miracle somewhere.

22-23Season23-24Projection
Player3pt Made3pt Attempts3pt%3pt Made3pt Attempts3pt%Comment / Assumption
Cam7216643.4%----
Oskar123336.4%----
Caleb136420.3%----
Derek136021.7%227529.3%25% Increase in attempts with more minutes. Modest Improvement in shooting.
Paul205437.0%236237.1%Average attempts / makes from last 3 seasons.
Mag93030.0%63020.0%Plays roughly same number of games. Similar numbers, assumed slighlty slower start.
Hyatt4514730.6%4514730.6%Assume same numbers as last year.
Cliff42218.2%21118.2%Drop in 3pt attempts. Assumes attempts per game reflect his attempts from Jan 2nd and after.
Fernandes---4512536.0%21-22 Numbers
Griffiths---3910238.2%Best shooter in class. Assumes 3 attempts per game.
Davis---83423.5%1 attempt / game?
?---???Total Wild Card
Total
188​
576​
32.6%​
190​
586​
32.4%​
-

Reactions: kcg88
Good idea.
Simpson shot .167 from 3 in Big Ten games - your numbers for him are more than a "modest improvement"
We were 301st in 3PA last season - that's the simplest change to make to our offense and one of our new guys is the perfect guy to have for that - If Griffiths only gets up 3 a game, we won't be very good

Good idea.
Simpson shot .167 from 3 in Big Ten games - your numbers for him are more than a "modest improvement"
We were 301st in 3PA last season - that's the simplest change to make to our offense and one of our new guys is the perfect guy to have for that - If Griffiths only gets up 3 a game, we won't be very good
Griffiths should have the greenest of green lights. What do you think is an appropriate realistic target for 3PA for him? I don't really track that type of stat but my thought would be I want him around 7

Griffiths should have the greenest of green lights. What do you think is an appropriate realistic target for 3PA for him? I don't really track that type of stat but my thought would be I want him around 7
Jett Howard took 7.3 3's a game last year - who has a greener green light than the coach's kid?
Howard made 2.7/game, Andrew Funk made 3 a game.

It depends on how much they revamp the offense - I don't expect it to look like Iowa, but hopefully, they do something other than have Cliff set a ball screen at the top of the key every possession.
Even without much re-vamping, I think GG will be around those Jett/Funk numbers - if they play at a faster pace and run more/better stuff for shooters, I could see even more than that.

Griffiths can take/make 3's in just about every way possible, it seems like he always catches with feet ready to shoot - I think Pike figures out a way to maximize that ability.

Reactions: cm_13
What do we think Simpson shoots from 3 then?
The only data is from last season. So my guess would be about the same as last season or a slight improvement.

After the first Indiana game, from the Ohio State game to the Michigan B1G tournament game - a stretch of 24 games, he shot 9.1% from 3 on 1.4 attempts per game.

Admittedly cherry-picked and a small sample in terms of attempts - he bookended that stretch of 24 games with 2-5 vs Indiana and 2-5 against Purdue. I HOPE that's more indicative of his true ability, but it's hard to ignore that big of a stretch shooting that poorly. His playing time and attempts were sporadic, hopefully, both are steadier this season and that helps.

Griffiths can take/make 3's in just about every way possible, it seems like he always catches with feet ready to shoot - I think Pike figures out a way to maximize that ability.
I haven't watched Gavin play so forgive me for asking this.. We know how accurate he is from the 19' 9" high school 3PT line, but is he equally as accurate from the college distance of 22' 1 & 1/4"? Or might some adjusting be necessary before we estimate what his 3PT shooting percentage at the longer distance next season will be?

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Keeping everything else the same but:

- Only giving Derek a 1% increase: Going from 13-60 (21.7%) to 17-75 (22.7%)

-And assuming Gavin takes 4.5 attempts a game instead of 3....(58-153 / 38.2%) gets us to 32.1% as a team vs last year's 32.6%. However on 60 more attempts in 23-24.
= .5 more made 3s per game.

Moving him all the way up to 7 att / game gets us to 32.8% but almost 1.5 more made 3s per game.

I haven't watched Gavin play so forgive me for asking this.. We know how accurate he is from the 19' 9" high school 3PT line, but is he equally as accurate from the college distance of 22' 1 & 1/4"? Or might some adjusting be necessary before we estimate what his 3PT shooting percentage at the longer distance next season will be?
I'm not a college recruiter, but I think they barely care about HS games compared to EYBL games.
The EYBL uses the college line.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Jett Howard took 7.3 3's a game last year - who has a greener green light than the coach's kid?
Howard made 2.7/game, Andrew Funk made 3 a game.

It depends on how much they revamp the offense - I don't expect it to look like Iowa, but hopefully, they do something other than have Cliff set a ball screen at the top of the key every possession.
Even without much re-vamping, I think GG will be around those Jett/Funk numbers - if they play at a faster pace and run more/better stuff for shooters, I could see even more than that.

Pike’s been running this “offense” since he’s been here. I doubt if he does anything different. He had a very good shooter in Cam last year, and did nothing to maximize his abilities. Unfortunately, I expect Griffiths to have to try to get his looks on his own. I expect it to be tough in the beginning for a freshman as the only legit shooter on the team.

Pike’s been running this “offense” since he’s been here. I doubt if he does anything different. He had a very good shooter in Cam last year, and did nothing to maximize his abilities. Unfortunately, I expect Griffiths to have to try to get his looks on his own. I expect it to be tough in the beginning for a freshman as the only legit shooter on the team.
Noah and Paul are both solid-good 3 point shooters, so he won’t be the only one putting up 3s. Cam and Cliff were the focal point of every team’s defensive scheme, so if Paul takes more 3 point attempts and Noah is as good as advertised, it wouldn’t shock me for Gavin to do very well, since opposing defenses will be more spread out this year, relative to last year.

Noah and Paul are both solid-good 3 point shooters, so he won’t be the only one putting up 3s. Cam and Cliff were the focal point of every team’s defensive scheme, so if Paul takes more 3 point attempts and Noah is as good as advertised, it wouldn’t shock me for Gavin to do very well, since opposing defenses will be more spread out this year, relative to last year.
Corner 3's last season (the best shot in basketball)
Paul 9/17 52%
Hyatt 20/57 35% (D1 average is 35.9%)
Mag 6/15 40%

From video I've seen of Noah and what I've seen of Griffiths they should create more corner 3's for teammates
Griffiths sprints to corners in transition - I think this is something he'll thrive on w/passes from Paul and Noah
If Simpson can figure out how to create corner 3's for teammates, his value increases considerably

Keeping everything else the same but:

- Only giving Derek a 1% increase: Going from 13-60 (21.7%) to 17-75 (22.7%)

-And assuming Gavin takes 4.5 attempts a game instead of 3....(58-153 / 38.2%) gets us to 32.1% as a team vs last year's 32.6%. However on 60 more attempts in 23-24.
= .5 more made 3s per game.

Moving him all the way up to 7 att / game gets us to 32.8% but almost 1.5 more made 3s per game
I will give Derek some credit and chalk up his poor percentage to some freshman jitters and forcing some shots. His shooting form looks reasonably good, and shooting 22% is truly awful. I would think he can get to around 30%. If he can’t hit at least high 20% he honestly shouldn’t shoot them at all unless time is running out. Maybe he needs glasses. He can borrow Gavin’s goggles.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
I've seen some highlights of Griffiths hitting some deep deep 3's looking effortless. Not worried about his range

You can't maximize the abilities of a limited player (Spencer) playing with all stationary, slow footed players around him.

Gavin will be playing with significantly better guards around him and Simpson will take as many 3s as the offense dictates. Asking Simpson to take 3s without others breaking down the defense to provide shooting space is not a coaching issue, it is a lack of backcourt talent issue.

I know fans keep wondering or asking about what players will shoot from 3, but no one asks who can get past their defender and get to the basket.....

Simpson could against most defenses.

Mulcahy is not a guard to take anyone off the dribble.

Caleb was a wing asked to play both guard spots AND SF at times and is not an off the dribble player.

Spencer is a catch and shoot guy.

Shot attempts are created by the abilities to get past your defender and then make a pass to a open defender. Fernandes and Simpson would be my starting backcourt, with Gavin as my 3rd guard/SF in Calebs role, and Hyatt and Cliff.

Off the bench would be Mulcahy and Davis to lead the 2nd unit, with Woolfolk or whomever is brought in behind Cliff. I would like to see if RU can find another 2023 frosh, the kid Joey Hart from Indiana would be another developmental piece for Pike.

Before fans freak out about Mulcahy not starting, I don't see a true path to start him at the guard where shots are required and playing him over Gavin Griffiths, doesn't make any sense IMO.

Mulcahy and his delay, delay, delay on announcing his return, really makes the most sense. He doesn't have a cleared path to start and Pike showing interest in Joey Hart, to me, is "interesting ".

If Kentucky somehow didn't take Joey Hart and RU somehow figured out a way to get Hart here for a visit, my guess is he finds minutes as a freshman, until Mag gets back.

Reactions: RU84
I've seen some highlights of Griffiths hitting some deep deep 3's looking effortless. Not worried about his range
I still haven’t gotten over one of the shots he hit during his game at the RAC.

If memory serves, he basically had his defender posted up behind the 3 point line on the wing. Caught the pass, turned and sank a three right in the kid’s face.

You can't maximize the abilities of a limited player (Spencer) playing with all stationary, slow footed players around him.

Gavin will be playing with significantly better guards around him and Simpson will take as many 3s as the offense dictates. Asking Simpson to take 3s without others breaking down the defense to provide shooting space is not a coaching issue, it is a lack of backcourt talent issue.

I know fans keep wondering or asking about what players will shoot from 3, but no one asks who can get past their defender and get to the basket.....

Simpson could against most defenses.

Mulcahy is not a guard to take anyone off the dribble.

Caleb was a wing asked to play both guard spots AND SF at times and is not an off the dribble player.

Spencer is a catch and shoot guy.

Shot attempts are created by the abilities to get past your defender and then make a pass to a open defender. Fernandes and Simpson would be my starting backcourt, with Gavin as my 3rd guard/SF in Calebs role, and Hyatt and Cliff.

Off the bench would be Mulcahy and Davis to lead the 2nd unit, with Woolfolk or whomever is brought in behind Cliff. I would like to see if RU can find another 2023 frosh, the kid Joey Hart from Indiana would be another developmental piece for Pike.

Before fans freak out about Mulcahy not starting, I don't see a true path to start him at the guard where shots are required and playing him over Gavin Griffiths, doesn't make any sense IMO.

Mulcahy and his delay, delay, delay on announcing his return, really makes the most sense. He doesn't have a cleared path to start and Pike showing interest in Joey Hart, to me, is "interesting ".

If Kentucky somehow didn't take Joey Hart and RU somehow figured out a way to get Hart here for a visit, my guess is he finds minutes as a freshman, until Mag gets back.
Mulcahy is Pike's guy. I don't think there is any scenario where he doesn't start, deserved or not.

Mulcahy is Pike's guy. I don't think there is any scenario where he doesn't start, deserved or not.

I can agree but does that make RU a better basketball team?? There's no true starting role that is in place on the roster.

He's not the best PG on the roster.....

He's not the best Combo guard or shooting guard (quick shooting, off the dribble, defender of an opponents guards, volume 3 point shooter from the arc.....his threes are best suited from the corners.

Is he the best SF or 3rd guard (perhaps but not in place of developing Gavin Griffiths IMO)....

Is he a true PF that should play ahead of Hyatt or Mag and be asked to battle more physical players at that position?? RU still needs another 4/5 and that player factors in as well.

From a perspective of what it takes to improve as a team, there isn't a true role where Mulcahy's strengths are in place, unless he's going to completely change how fast he plays, how he pushes the ball in transition etc.....and if he's not the true PG, where he has been and not done it consistently, it becomes more difficult finding the fit for big minutes (30+).

Reactions: RU84
7 a game would have been second most in Big Ten last season after Funk of PSU (7.45). His teammate Lundy was second with 6. Penn State shot a lot of them.

My concern is securing adequate depth pieces. The bench came up short last year and the current roster needs help as injuries will likely occur. Hopefully, Pike finds some infusion of talent even though we may be late with finding the right portal pieces.

Reactions: darkcheck
I can agree but does that make RU a better basketball team?? There's no true starting role that is in place on the roster.

He's not the best PG on the roster.....

He's not the best Combo guard or shooting guard (quick shooting, off the dribble, defender of an opponents guards, volume 3 point shooter from the arc.....his threes are best suited from the corners.

Is he the best SF or 3rd guard (perhaps but not in place of developing Gavin Griffiths IMO)....

Is he a true PF that should play ahead of Hyatt or Mag and be asked to battle more physical players at that position?? RU still needs another 4/5 and that player factors in as well.

From a perspective of what it takes to improve as a team, there isn't a true role where Mulcahy's strengths are in place, unless he's going to completely change how fast he plays, how he pushes the ball in transition etc.....and if he's not the true PG, where he has been and not done it consistently, it becomes more difficult finding the fit for big minutes (30+).
To date, he’s better than Hyatt. At basically everything. And Hyatt isn’t a true PF either.

Unless Hyatt makes massive strides, Paul will start and play ahead of him in virtually every situation I can think of, Pike loyalty not even factoring into the equation. He deserves to. He shoots better, handles the ball better, passes better and is a more willing defender. If he plays forward, his rebounding would be comparable to Hyatt’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT