ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for Sunday

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
Projected match-ups

125: #16 Malik Heinselman vs #22 Nicolas Aguilar Aguilar decision
133: Jordan Decatur vs #6 Sammy Alvarez or Devon Britton - Alvarez decision if he wrestles
141: Dylan D’Emilio or Anthony Echemendia vs #1 Sebastian Rivera - Rivera tech
149: #1 Sammy Sasso vs Michael VanBrill - Sasso -major
157: #25 Elijah Cleary vs Robert Kanniard -Kanniard decision
165: #11 Ethan Smith vs Brett Donner - Smith major
174: #4 Kaleb Romero vs #24 Joseph Grello - Romero major
184: #8 Rocky Jordan vs John Poznanski - Jordan decision
197: Gavin Hoffman or Chase Singletary vs #14 Billy Janzer - Janzer decision
285: #11 Tate Orndorff or Gary Traub vs Christian Colucci Orndoff - decision

Score 18-17 the OSU

Last Year's results

141: #1 Luke Pletcher (OSU) def. JoJo Aragona (RU) | MD, 12-4; Team Score: 4-0
149: #6 Sammy Sasso (OSU) def. Gerard Angelo (RU) | MD, 16-7; TS: 8-0
157: Michael Van Brill (RU) def. Elijah Cleary (OSU) | D, 5-3; TS: 8-3
165: #13 Ethan Smith (OSU) def. Brett Donner (RU) | MD, 13-4; TS: 12-3
174: #9 Kaleb Romero (OSU) def. #19 Joe Grello (RU) | D, 9-2; TS: 15-3
184: Billy Janzer (RU) def. Rocky Jordan (OSU) | D, 5-4; TS: 15-6
197: #1 Kollin Moore (OSU) def. #17 Jordan Pagano (RU) | MD, 20-9; TS: 19-6
285: Gary Traub (OSU) def. Matthew Correnti (RU) | SV-2, 4-2; TS: 22-6
125: #14 Nicolas Aguilar (RU) def. Malik Heinselman (OSU) | MD, 14-1; TS: 22-10
133: #11 Sammy Alvarez (RU) def. Jordan Decatur (OSU) | D, 6-1; TS: 22-13

Reactions: MS-RU
It’s an interesting matchup. We’re strong where they’re weak and they’re strong where we’re weak. Can very easily see this being a 5-5 match with bonus points dictating the dual winner. Need Alvarez to wrestle though.

125- malik dec
133- Alvarez dec(if he wrestles, if he doesn’t then Decatur by dec)
141- Rivera major
149- sasso major
157- kanniard dec
165- smith major
174- Romero majo
184- poznanski dec
197- janzer dec
Hwt- orndoff major

16-19 OSU wins
We need Alvarez in and to win all the tossups to win this match(125, 157, 197 and need upset at 184)

Any updates on coverage?
Do I need to spring for B10 PLus (I have been waiting for the last minute)

OSU is definitely down from that elite tier this year and like SCNJ mentioned, we actually match-up well with them. We still need to wrestle very well and have some guys win the toss ups to win though. If this dual isn't close (and RU wrestles it's starters) then there is a real cause for concern.

Key matches: 125, 157, 197 (RU will need to go 3-0 in these matches to win without needing an upset)

Notes:
125: #16 Heinselman vs #22 Aguilar - Aguilar beat Heinselman by MD last year, so Aguilar needs to win by at least a decision. A loss here puts RU in a bad spot and would need an upset somewhere else to win
133: Decatur vs #6 Alvarez - Alvarez beat him last year by dec but bonus points here would be huge for RU. Hopefully he is all good now and ready to wrestle.
141: D’Emilio/Echemendia vs #1 Rivera - Need at least a MD but a tech/fall would be huge.
149: #1 Sasso vs MVB - Sasso - Sasso is a stud but MVB needs to keep it to MD if possible
157: #25 Cleary vs Kanniard - Cleary hasn't been great this year, so Kanniard needs to be aggressive and win. A loss here really puts RU in a bad spot and likely has no chance to win especially if Aguilar loses as well.
165: #11 Smith vs Donner - Donner is 0-2 vs Smith last year with loses by dec and a MD. Keeping it to a dec would be great for RU
174: #4 Romero vs #24 Grello - Grello is 0-1 vs. Romero and it was a 9-2 dec so it was close to the MD, so Grello really needs to be smart and keep it close
184: #8 Jordan vs Poznanski - Jordan is very good but not elite, so will be a great litmus test for Poz. Jordan is only a sophomore and Janzer beat him last year in a close one, so Poz can certainly win if he wrestles his best match.
197: Hoffman/Singletary vs #14 Janzer - Singletary provides a tougher matchup but lost to Hoffman in the wrestle-offs and lost the starting spot last weekend. Hoffman went 1-1 last weekend, so not sure if they make a change but we need a Janzer win regardless of the opponent.
285: #11 Orndorff/Traub vs Colucci - Colucci is 0-2 vs. Orndorff with both loses coming by decision, but Orndorff didn't look great last weekend going 0-2, so could be an opportunity for Colucci to steal one. He would have a better matchup against Traub, if OSU chooses to make a change

Scoring:
125: Aguilar by dec (RU 3-0)
133: Alvarez by MD (RU 7-0)
141: Rivera by TF (RU 12-0)
149: Sasso by MD (RU 12-4)
157: Kanniard by dec (RU 15-4)
165: Smith by MD (15-8)
174: Romero by dec (RU 15-11)
184: Jordan by dec (RU 15-14)
197: Janzer by dec (RU 18-14)
285: Orndorff by dec (RU 18-17)

RU wins 18-17

Last edited:
Sunday at 12pm as of now. Looks like the RU vs. Indiana basketball game is on BTN at that time, so it appears to be on BTN+ unfortunately.
It'll be computer with the sound on and BTN on the TV. Well let's just say the sound will depend on the wrestling announcers. Some of these college kids really suck at it.

Scratch that: I'll be streaming the computer to the TV to watch wrestling. I'm not watching anymore B-ball games if the team wants to half ass it and pout all game long.

Last edited:
Do they expect to have extra matches on Sunday? Thanks. $$$$
I would hope so, lots of schools have been having a ton of extra matches so I really hope we maximize the opportunity to develop some of the young guys. Hopefully we see Aragona our there soon as well. I know he was red-shirting regardless, but unless he is hurt seems like a waste to not get some more experience in these extra matches.

Reactions: dollarbill
Goody said the plan is for Sammy to wrestle this weekend, so that is good news\step in the right direction.

Aguilar better bounce back in a big way or it's time to start finding another 125lber for the future. I had such high hopes for him but the kid just isn't gaining any strength and will continued to get rag dolled against stronger opponents. What's the deal, does this kid even know what a weight room looks like?

Last edited:
@Lex Knapp is not very high on the team's chances this weekend. Any particular reason?
It’s not that I’m not high on their chances. I think it’s doable, but I think a lot has to be done. Aguilar is a must win, Alvarez and Rivera need bonus, with possibly needing bonus from Janzer, then we will need a win at 157, 184, or HWT. Unfortunately, we’re just not favored in those three matches. Most likely, we will know if we have a chance to win after 141. Going to need to be up 11-0, or better.

It’s not that I’m not high on their chances. I think it’s doable, but I think a lot has to be done. Aguilar is a must win, Alvarez and Rivera need bonus, with possibly needing bonus from Janzer, then we will need a win at 157, 184, or HWT. Unfortunately, we’re just not favored in those three matches. Most likely, we will know if we have a chance to win after 141. Going to need to be up 11-0, or better.
I guess that does sound like I’m not high on their chances...I really don’t think it’s an undoable task. It just will take a close to perfect team effort.

Not saying you're wrong, especially with Aguilar. He's been way too inconsistent and he is really at a crossroads in his career. It's now or never for him or else, I think RU needs to move on to Shawver. Not saying he is ready yet, but if we aren't getting any production at 125 with him might as well let him get the experience and be evaluated.

I'm most excited for 157 and 184 though, those matches should be exciting and we need to Kanniard break out of his shell and wrestle well for 3 periods.

Likely not making weight or having trouble making weight at 133 anymore. Wonder if he can move up to 149. He was a big 133 as a true freshman and has the frame to be a 149 lber.
He's been banged up for awhile now.Weight isn't a issue like you think.No way can he go 149

Aguilar got caught against a talented freshman in his first match of the season. Disappointing but not sounding any alarms. He was still a NQ last year.

Next year he’ll be an academic senior with 3 years of eligibility remaining. If he continues to develop, he can end up being a force at 125 if he keeps the weight down.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Aguilar got caught against a talented freshman in his first match of the season. Disappointing but not sounding any alarms. He was still a NQ last year.

Next year he’ll be an academic senior with 3 years of eligibility remaining. If he continues to develop, he can end up being a force at 125 if he keeps the weight down.

I know I'm probably being a bit dramatic but in reality it wasn't just against Ragusin. Last year he had a really poor stretch in duals against Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Purdue where he lost 4 straight against guys he should be beating (aside from Schroder possibly) if want to be in that 2nd tier in the B1G. His loss in the Mich dual basically swung the match for them.

It's not that he is bad by any means but he is very streaky and tends to drop matches he shouldn't. On the other hand, I can't think of a single time he rose to the occasion in a big match to get an upset. A lot of it has to do with his physicality, or lack there of, which is concerning since this is his 3rd year at RU.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
I know I'm probably being a bit dramatic but in reality it wasn't just against Ragusin. Last year he had a really poor stretch in duals against Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Purdue where he lost 4 straight against guys he should be beating (aside from Schroder possibly) if want to be in that 2nd tier in the B1G. His loss in the Mich dual basically swung the match for them.

It's not that he is bad by any means but he is very streaky and tends to drop matches he shouldn't. On the other hand, I can't think of a single time he rose to the occasion in a big match to get an upset. A lot of it has to do with his physicality, or lack there of, which is concerning since this is his 3rd year at RU.
That’s a fair assessment but there are bigger holes in the lineup, IMO. 165 is a huge problem and I have more questions about 174 than 125

That’s a fair assessment but there are bigger holes in the lineup, IMO. 165 is a huge problem and I have more questions about 174 than 125
100% agreed.

Hell you could say that 149 - 174 are all big problems going forward. There needs to be a lot of development in the near future for those weights to be even middle of the B1G caliber. Recruiting needs to step up as well.

100% agreed.

Hell you could say that 149 - 174 are all big problems going forward. There needs to be a lot of development in the near future for those weights to be even middle of the B1G caliber. Recruiting needs to step up as well.
The loss of Vulakh definitely hurts. Hopefully next year we’re looking at a JoJo resurgence at 149 and Kanniard develops into a solid 157. I have no idea what the plan is for 165. Maybe Kanniard bumps up and Angelo takes over 157? That’s definitely a black hole of a weight class.

It’s crazy how were in a spot where there’s so much talent in the lower weight classes, a lot of raw talent in the upper weight classs, and aside from really Kanniard and O’Neil, there’s almost nothing on the active roster to be excited about in the middle classes.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT