ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Open

And Bo Bassett takes out Vin Santaniello 13-10 to take 1st, and Rini (Columbia) beat Bouzakis 14-8 to take 3rd 😲

Blaze lost 4-6 to Brayden
Palmer from Chattanooga (transfer from Clarion).

You can probably make a case that if Dean Peterson doesn’t exist that Vin Santaniello is a 3x state champ. Still wish we nabbed him especially after the Navy transfer

The Santaniello family had multiple chances to come here and passed them all up. It would have been nice but I’m not sure if it was in the cards.

Reactions: Leonard23
It has often been said that the Santaniello family and Coach Goodale don't have the best personal relationship. It may go back to their wrestling days at Lock Haven.

• Haha
It has often been said that the Santaniello family and Coach Goodale don't have the best personal relationship. It may go back to their wrestling days at Lock Haven.
Regardless, very few of those top kids end up here. All the just-missed and second-choice ones, I tend to believe, are kids that take advantage of the training facilities and coaching while in high school, then blow smoke up Goodale's arse so they don't feel as bad about it. Mullen supposedly chose VT because Casale came here for heavyweight. Yeah, that's working out well.

You can probably make a case that if Dean Peterson doesn’t exist that Vin Santaniello is a 3x state champ. Still wish we nabbed him especially after the Navy transfer
I rather have Peterson.. plus we have Shawver

Mullen was offered a football scholarship at Rutgers before VT.
Doesn't mean much getting an early Football offer these days....Rutgers Football offered very early in his career probably thinking he will grow to 6-3/6-5 and can be a High level D1 Football Recruit...By his Senior year Mullen was still a tad over 6' and wasn't looking like or Ranked like a Big 10 lineman on the field and Schiano lost interest and didn't want him... that's why he didn't come here

Last edited:
Any notable wins or results for our guys at the Princeton Open? I saw Olivieri got 2nd..

Any notable wins or results for our guys at the Princeton Open? I saw Olivieri got 2nd..
New guys Hermes and Packer did pretty well. Hermes and Britton both made it to the uncontested 5th place match. Packer finished fourth after making it to the semis, where he got run over by Beard, the eventual winner, and starter at Lehigh.

He blew through the final as well, crushing everyone along the way.
Keep in mind that he also graduated high school in 2018 and is only a junior in his 6th year post high school. Deferred his college eligibility start by not enrolling at Penn State after graduating to essentially train with the NLWC for a year. Then red shirted in 2020 as well as took his free year in 2021 so he is giving Steve Micic's career a run for it's money. He is a previous AA, R12 last year, and is ranked in the top 10 this year so I would have expected such a performance given the competition.

Keep in mind that he also graduated high school in 2018 and is only a junior in his 6th year post high school. Deferred his college eligibility start by not enrolling at Penn State after graduating to essentially train with the NLWC for a year. Then red shirted in 2020 as well as took his free year in 2021 so he is giving Steve Micic's career a run for it's money. He is a previous AA, R12 last year, and is ranked in the top 10 this year so I would have expected such a performance given the competition.
Yes, clearly. That aside, I think Packer did pretty well. I'm hopeful he will be developed and will be a worthy successor or backup to Poz. There is no one else in the queue. And it's nice to have a good heavyweight, but next year? We're shallow behind some other weights too.

Yes, clearly. That aside, I think Packer did pretty well. I'm hopeful he will be developed and will be a worthy successor or backup to Poz. There is no one else in the queue. And it's nice to have a good heavyweight, but next year? We're shallow behind some other weights too.
Poz has this season, plus the following two years. So hopefully RU can land a big recruit in the class of 2025 or 2026 to fill Poz's spot. They also have Nate Blanchett coming in the class of 2024(although I think he is projected to be a 184) but if he grows, he is a much higher ranked recruit than Packer.

Yara has another year after this season(I do not know if he will use it, but he does have it.)

Unless Casale continues to develop and adapts to being a heavyweight, the next starter at 285 is more than likely coming from the portal again.

AN All American season from Yara at 285 will give you a good chance to get a top portal recruit.
That will be Two transfers that became all americans after being blood round guys before they got to RU

Reactions: SCNJ
AN All American season from Yara at 285 will give you a good chance to get a top portal recruit.
That will be Two transfers that became all americans after being blood round guys before they got to RU
Also successful seasons from Rivera who previously AA’d and Heilmann. Suriano won a national title after transferring in, and Dean Peterson has done well as well. Butler and Moore can contribute to the cause too.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT