ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Let's start with Tosan. Mitch told me he will go pro. Read the NYT article about him today. He is one of a very few players which every NBA team has looked at in practice. He is a unique player. On many obvious levels, including his great defense.

The Ivy is a haven for many really skilled players. Kids chose Yale,Harvard and Princeton over Northwestern,Illinois and Michigan because it is a 40 and not a 4 year decision.Just asking. If the 2 played 10 times at the RAC this year,what do you think the w and l would look like?

Rutgers should walk to Philly next year if Dingle is interested. Best comparison. A better John Battle.

Play freaking Princeton at the RAC or 2-1. They are the only sports rival and might always be the only sports rival in Rutgers basketball history. It was a great rivalry. My favorite of all-time and most alumni over 50 would agree. Princeton leads the series 75-45. Rutgers has won something like 8 out of the last 9. Mitch did not refuse to play Steve when he was at Stony Brook. Check it out. Would you rather play an A-10 or a low ACC over them. Not me. They are not a laughable Cinderella. They are a storied national program. I get how fans or alumni under 35 don't get it or don't want it. They didn't live it. And it is not a bad loss for goodness sake. Sorry to rant. I know first hand that many of you agree with this sentiment. We covet our academic connection to Michigan and Northwestern.They aren't Princeton academically on any metric.Sorry to rant on. It's important to me.I would hope it is to others. Pete called it his second greatest rivalry after Penn.

Last edited:
Let's start with Tosan. Mitch told me he will go pro. Read the NYT article about him today. He is one of a very few players which every NBA team has looked at in practice. He is a unique player. On many obvious levels including his great defense.

The Ivy is a haven for really skilled players. Kids chose Yale,Harvard and Princeton over Northwestern,Illinois and Michigan because it is a 40 and not a 4 year decision.

Rutgers should walk to Philly next year if Dingle is interested. Best comparison. A better John Battle.

Play freaking Princeton at the RAC or 2-1. They are the only sports rival and might always be the only sports rival in Rutgers basketball history. It was a great rivalry. My favorite of all-time and most alumni over 50 would agree. Princeton leads the series 75-45. Rutgers won something like 8 out of the last 9. Mitch did not refuse to play Steve when he was at Stony Brook. Check it out. Would you rather play an A-10 or a low ACC over them. Not me. They are not a laughable Cinderella. They are a storied national program. I get how fans or alumni under 35 don't get it or don't want it. They didn't live it. And it is not a bad loss for goodness sake. Sorry to rant. I know first hand that many of you agree with this sentiment. We covet our academic connection to Michigan and Northwestern.They aren't Princeton academically on any metric.Sorry to rant on. It's important to me.
I'd also like to see them on the schedule personally.

I personally would love to play Princeton every year. We already have some athletics rivalry trophies with them already (lacrosse, swimming, wrestling, probably others). It would be great to have a basketball rivalry trophy with them. I’d actually like that better than Seton Hall. We should play Princeton in every sport, except for football of course.

Scarlet Jerry

Not playing Princeton, being afraid to play Princeton, is absolutely ridiculous.
This had always been a great rivalry, back to the Bill Bradley/Bobby Lloyd days. They have had a great program forever, and the games with Rutgers were always memorable. It is so much more entertaining than playing the Central Connecticuts or Drexels of the world.

Not playing Princeton, being afraid to play Princeton, is absolutely ridiculous.
This had always been a great rivalry, back to the Bill Bradley/Bobby Lloyd days. They have had a great program forever, and the games with Rutgers were always memorable. It is so much more entertaining than playing the Central Connecticuts or Drexels of the world.
It hasn’t been a rivalry in 20-30 years . Stop

Reactions: jrm75 and ru66
Let's start with Tosan. Mitch told me he will go pro. Read the NYT article about him today. He is one of a very few players which every NBA team has looked at in practice. He is a unique player. On many obvious levels including his great defense.

The Ivy is a haven for really skilled players. Kids chose Yale,Harvard and Princeton over Northwestern,Illinois and Michigan because it is a 40 and not a 4 year decision.

Play freaking Princeton at the RAC or 2-1. They are the only sports rival and might always be the only sports rival in Rutgers basketball history. It was a great rivalry. My favorite of all-time and most alumni over 50 would agree. Princeton leads the series 75-45. Rutgers won something like 8 out of the last 9. Mitch did not refuse to play Steve when he was at Stony Brook. Check it out. Would you rather play an A-10 or a low ACC over them. Not me. They are not a laughable Cinderella. They are a storied national program. I get how fans or alumni under 35 don't get it or don't want it. They didn't live it. And it is not a bad loss for goodness sake. Sorry to rant. I know first hand that many of you agree with this sentiment. We covet our academic connection to Michigan and Northwestern.They aren't Princeton academically on any metric.Sorry to rant on. It's important to me.
Always loved the rivalry with Princeton and have lamented the end of that annual rivalry in both football (which I get) and hoops (which I don't get).

He’s not afraid to play Princeton. Please stop. It’s nothing to gain playing Princeton. You get no credit if you beat them. You get a major ding if you lose. And as we’ve seen for like a hundred years they can beat anyone. There’s just no benefit and the fact that they are close by to me means nothing. As a long time fan I could care less about the history. Princeton isn’t even a nj school if you look at the attendees. Who cares about Princeton. Shu I can at least get a little because the nj people that can’t get into rutgers go there. No reason whatsoever to play Princeton.

He’s not afraid to play Princeton. Please stop. It’s nothing to gain playing Princeton. You get no credit if you beat them. You get a major ding if you lose. And as we’ve seen for like a hundred years they can beat anyone. There’s just no benefit and the fact that they are close by to me means nothing. As a long time fan I could care less about the history. Princeton isn’t even a nj school if you look at the attendees. Who cares about Princeton. Shu I can at least get a little because the nj people that can’t get into rutgers go there. No reason whatsoever to play Princeton.

Yep . Stupid NET and quad system

Reactions: darkcheck
Are they still running the Pete Carril Princeton offense there?

Let's start with Tosan. Mitch told me he will go pro. Read the NYT article about him today. He is one of a very few players which every NBA team has looked at in practice. He is a unique player. On many obvious levels, including his great defense.

The Ivy is a haven for many really skilled players. Kids chose Yale,Harvard and Princeton over Northwestern,Illinois and Michigan because it is a 40 and not a 4 year decision.Just asking. If the 2 played 10 times at the RAC this year,what do you think the w and l would look like?

Play freaking Princeton at the RAC or 2-1. They are the only sports rival and might always be the only sports rival in Rutgers basketball history. It was a great rivalry. My favorite of all-time and most alumni over 50 would agree. Princeton leads the series 75-45. Rutgers has won something like 8 out of the last 9. Mitch did not refuse to play Steve when he was at Stony Brook. Check it out. Would you rather play an A-10 or a low ACC over them. Not me. They are not a laughable Cinderella. They are a storied national program. I get how fans or alumni under 35 don't get it or don't want it. They didn't live it. And it is not a bad loss for goodness sake. Sorry to rant. I know first hand that many of you agree with this sentiment. We covet our academic connection to Michigan and Northwestern.They aren't Princeton academically on any metric.Sorry to rant on. It's important to me.
I agree; I graduated in 1990 and was born in Piscataway, so I’ve seen loses to Princeton, but it’s a fun rivalry.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
I'm not old enough to appreciate the Princeton history and rivalry. I'm more appreciative of the old Big East ties, which is where I'd like to see more of RU basketball's OOC scheduling tilt towards.

Princeton is always going to be a Q3 or Q4 game for us. Which is fine, but its always going to be a dangerous one.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

Play freaking Princeton at the RAC or 2-1. They are the only sports rival and might always be the only sports rival in Rutgers basketball history. It was a great rivalry. My favorite of all-time and most alumni over 50 would agree. Princeton leads the series 75-45. Rutgers has won something like 8 out of the last 9. Mitch did not refuse to play Steve when he was at Stony Brook. Check it out. Would you rather play an A-10 or a low ACC over them. Not me. They are not a laughable Cinderella. They are a storied national program. I get how fans or alumni under 35 don't get it or don't want it. They didn't live it. And it is not a bad loss for goodness sake. Sorry to rant. I know first hand that many of you agree with this sentiment. We covet our academic connection to Michigan and Northwestern.They aren't Princeton academically on any metric.Sorry to rant on. It's important to me.

No upside to scheduling them...q3 at home and q2 at best on road. They will be rated 80-150 range every year

RU72 is a rutgers guy . But he’s a wine and cheese New England guy at heart.
What does that have to do with anything?

By the logic offered here by some, Rutgers should avoid playing any teams with a high risk/low reward profile, yet Rutgers has scheduled Yale, Columbia, Lafayette, Bucknell and others in recent years even though they fit such a profile. What is different about Princeton is that Princeton consistently has a highly competitive program and so they are avoided for fear of a loss. Maybe Rutgers should also avoid playing Northwestern because they might lose to a school with a low NET rating.

And on the level of pure entertainment, there is no local rivalry that has had more juice than the Princeton/Rutgers rivalry. It has always been a wonderful fan experience to play such a hated rival, regardless of the Q2 or Q3 or Q4 implications..

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything?

By the logic offered here by some, Rutgers should avoid playing any teams with a high risk/low reward profile, yet Rutgers has scheduled Yale, Columbia, Lafayette, Bucknell and others in recent years even though they fit such a profile. What is different about Princeton is that Princeton consistently has a highly competitive program and so they are avoided for fear of a loss. Maybe Rutgers should also avoid playing Northwestern.
It’s a rivalry game with a solid probability of bad loss . Maybe you missed it but the committee kept us out of the tournament and cited quad 3 losses.
The goal is to get in anyway

Don’t worry, in about 5 years we’ll be playing plenty of Princeton, Lafayette, Army, Colgate etc. in all sports once the big name schools finally realize they don’t need the little guys anymore and half the B1G/SEC break away from the NCAA

No upside to scheduling them...q3 at home and q2 at best on road. They will be rated 80-150 range every year
Please help me. I am wandering in the wilderness. Is the be all and end all the NET? Seriously. Did the Committee really embrace it this year. Not in my mind. You are a knowledgeable guy. Is there a better rivalry in Rutgers history in any sport. Ever. Never.

Not to mention how easy it is to take a road trip to Jadwin and get a great crowd there.
You simply cannot be afraid to play them and it's good for jersey.
I aspire to make the tourney but as the Hofstra post game review said .. playing a quality game feels good too.

RU fans could pack out Jadwin Gym - sign me up.

Though having attended the Cornell-Yale game at this years Ivy League Tournament, I do have to say, concession prices were great but if you think the bathroom situation is bad at the RAC...

Absolutely 0 chance RU plays PU at Jadwin, ever. No way. Let me know when UConn plays Yale in their arena, or when Ohio State visits Oral Roberts. Not so long as we’re in the Big Ten

Reactions: Kbee3 and GORU2014
In an NCAA tourney year, they are still just a NET of 111. Q3 home game.... meaningless win or bad loss.

This. There’s absolutely no upside to this, unless you value beating Princeton more than you value maximizing the odds of making the tourney.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Not to mention how easy it is to take a road trip to Jadwin and get a great crowd there.
You simply cannot be afraid to play them and it's good for jersey.
I aspire to make the tourney but as the Hofstra post game review said .. playing a quality game feels good too.
I don’t care about what’s “good for Jersey” in this context, I care about what’s good for Rutgers basketball. It’s not our job to prop up Princeton’s program, unless they want to do what’s good for Jersey and share their endowment.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Hard pass. Was so happy when we finally ended the "rivalry" with Princeton after sitting through many inexplicable losses over a 35 year period. Never again for me - gets us nothing.

Reactions: GORU2014
Hmmm..methinks the outrageously poor OOC SOS in fact does show ‘being afraid’

Call that ‘nothing to gain’ if it makes you feel better, but it’s the same thing. Truth. Choosing to play schools like the Southeastern Maine Tech Fur Seals instead proves fear of losing is driving the schedule.

I don’t care about what’s “good for Jersey” in this context, I care about what’s good for Rutgers basketball. It’s not our job to prop up Princeton’s program, unless they want to do what’s good for Jersey and share their endowment.
Ok.. so you're saying your not rooting for fdu or Princeton now to advance. Ok. Noted.
It has zero to do with propping up Princeton. Where did you get that from?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT