ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton

If we just scheduled slightly better dregs it would basically "solve" the non-conference problem. Like give me #219 Norfolk St instead of #344 Coppin St. Hopefully Wake and SHU can be a bit stronger next year.

Reactions: kcg88 and fatsam98
This board is obsessed with NET but 90% of our fans have no idea how it works nor do they care. I bring lots of people to games and they don’t know. My season ticket holding neighbors don’t know. But what they all know is the difference between an interesting game with a recognizable name and a Coppin State. There is more to being a fan than NET and Kenpom, etc. Let’s have a fun interesting schedule. And no matter how old you are or what you think about RU-Princeton history, it is a more compelling match up than all the cupcakes we play. A little bit of risk won’t kill the program.

Reactions: cRURah and ruinac
Fun fact, Princeton is #1 in adjusted defensive efficiency against "quality" opponents per Torvik.

(Arizona is the only one they've played)

Reactions: GORU2014
So play q3 umass lowell over q3 (at home) q2 (at jadwin) princeton? LOL.

Fyi princetons kenpom (easier to look up than NET) the past 5 seasons
2019- 175
2020- 150
2021- n/a
2022- 107
2023- 99
So for 50% of years they’d also be a Q3 at Jadwin?

Reactions: bac2therac
This board is obsessed with NET but 90% of our fans have no idea how it works nor do they care. I bring lots of people to games and they don’t know. My season ticket holding neighbors don’t know. But what they all know is the difference between an interesting game with a recognizable name and a Coppin State. There is more to being a fan than NET and Kenpom, etc. Let’s have a fun interesting schedule. And no matter how old you are or what you think about RU-Princeton history, it is a more compelling match up than all the cupcakes we play. A little bit of risk won’t kill the program.
I can 100% guarantee that "going to the NCAA tournament" would be considered fun and exciting, and that comes down to constructing a schedule with a good tournament resume... which comes down to NET. It doesn't have to be something understood by the casual fan to be important.

Now granted i dont watch princeton every game but I watched them a ton the final month of the season and went to their game vs penn at jadwin, first time there.

1) cool arena
2) Their big Tosan is VERY good. Hed easily be a mile be our best player

Is the fear here that they may be better than us? Imo this year they wouldve beaten us. But if we played at jadwin hypothetically it’s a q2 loss to the ivy champ. The committee is not gonna knock you for that, theyll respect you for scheduling a legitimate opponent and not a program that might not beat most d2’s in ccsu
Tosan would be Rutgers best player by a mile? Cliff was 2nd team all Big 10 by the media. Ur just assuming because this guy is good in the Ivy League he would be first team all Big 10?

Tosan would be Rutgers best player by a mile? Cliff was 2nd team all Big 10 by the media. Ur just assuming because this guy is good in the Ivy League he would be first team all Big 10?
Im assuming this because its true and nba scouts agree as well

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Which schedule is better and would you prefer for ncaa tourney purposes

2022-2023 OOC schedule or the below

FDU
Monmouth 2 for 1
Central ct state
SHU
Gavitt
Holiday tourney with 3 teams (Memphis, Oklahoma, Siena as an example of what SHU had this year)
Princeton 2 for 1
Temple 2 for 1

Big neglect

We are going to 22 confrence games in 2024-2025

Many continue to forget

This is what it should be
It’s 22 league game
Seton hall home and home
Power 6 game home and home
Power 6 game at MSG
6 cuocakes at home

25 of 31 regular season games against the power 6
18 home games
12 road games
1 neutral site game

That is plenty plenty tonight

How many teams will play 25 of 31 regular season games against power 6 confrnces that are not in the big ten ?

Maybe 20 of the other 65 …a third

Plenty tough

I can 100% guarantee that "going to the NCAA tournament" would be considered fun and exciting, and that comes down to constructing a schedule with a good tournament resume... which comes down to NET. It doesn't have to be something understood by the casual fan to be important.
But apparently it doesn’t come down to NET. If it did, we were in. And on adding Princeton, one game among 30+ isn’t determinative for the tourney if we’re any good.
But that’s not even my point. After the last 2 years, one in which we got in with what, a 77 net, and one in which didn’t get in with a 40 or so, I am not going to fall for worrying about it again next year. Just give me a quality schedule with good games and I will be a happy fan. Same for everyone I know who I take to games.

Reactions: ruinac
But apparently it doesn’t come down to NET. If it did, we were in. And on adding Princeton, one game among 30+ isn’t determinative for the tourney if we’re any good.
But that’s not even my point. After the last 2 years, one in which we got in with what, a 77 net, and one in which didn’t get in with a 40 or so, I am not going to fall for worrying about it again next year. Just give me a quality schedule with good games and I will be a happy fan. Same for everyone I know who I take to games.
Too many bad losses = No tournament
“Bad losses” = Q3 or Q4
Q3 or Q4 = Defined by the NET

It's not about your own NET as much as your quadrant records, which comes down to scheduling. We had four Q3 losses, more than anyone else ahead of us or even close behind us.

It's not about your own NET as much as your quadrant records, which comes down to scheduling. We had four Q3 losses, more than anyone else ahead of us or even close behind us.
Whatever. Net, quadrants, I don’t care anymore. The committee kept us out and It seemed totally outcome based, meaning they chose the outcome they wanted and backed into the explanation. Let’s play Princeton.

Maybe best to Schedule 1st & 4th quadrants OOC. We cruised through all the Q4 teams. With Q1 there seems a lot more to gain than to lose. Q2s can drop to Q3s, like Seton Hall with DePaul loss, so a lot more to lose there..
Agree, though, that committee wanted us out, and found an inconsistent, hypocritical explanation to justify it.
Nevada’s inclusion in the tournament was ridiculous.

Reactions: RUChoppin
How on earth is Princeton a different world? They have a better program than Northwestern!
Totally disagree with u Richard and I will leave at that. You need too much preparation to play them unless you are playing them twice a year. You have no idea how many days in advance RU would practice for them which took away from other practices. We won but it was a mistake because it cost us a couple of losses.

RU has played:

120 - Princeton (first game 1917)
117 - Lafayette (first game 1917)
105 - Lehigh (first game 1907)
81 - Penn St (first game 1922)
73 - Seton Hall (first game 1916)

In the last 40 years:
50 - Seton Hall
35 - Penn St
31 - Princeton
11 - Lafayette
5 - Lehigh

Are we going to go back and renew "rivalries" with Lafayette and Lehigh, too? Is football going to renew its age-old rivalry with Princeton?

We should play Princeton when it makes sense for us to do so - and in the landscape of college basketball right now, it makes no sense to play them.
As I recall, last time Lafayette kick our a**!

These Princeton guys can shoot. If you combine our two teams, you probably have a National Champion!

I grew up in the Princeton area and went to RU. Started watching Princeton in the early 60s when they had Bill Bradley, arguably one of the greatest college basketball players ever (not pro). He took them single handedly to the Final Four where he scored 58 points against Wichita State (with All America Dave Stallworth) in the consolation game. Team was coached by Butch Van Breda Kolff who left Princeton for the LA Lakers.
Princeton had great teams in the 60s and early 70s with great players like Geoff Petrie (NBA Rookie of the year), Brian Taylor (ABA Rookie of the year), Armond Hill, the Hummer brothers, Chris Thomforde, Gary Walters and others. I saw Princeton vs. RU Freshman game in 1970. Both teams had heralded freshman, Taylor at Princeton and Gene Armstead at RU. Like RU 72, I too was at the 76 Jadwin as a RU student. Great game as was the NCAA game we won later that year when Pete Malloy of Princeton missed a foul shot at the end.

Although RU's basketball brand has been improving with the B1G and Pike, I believe Princeton's brand is stronger nationally. I don't claim to understand NET and the other analytics well, but I would like to see us play them. Irrespective of the NET ranking, a win over them any year would be perceived very positively, and it seems that the NCAA committee does take perceptions into account when picking the field. I see more upside than downside in playing them.
Loved Brian Taylor, but Super John Williamson had a better nickname

I'm supposed to be going to this next season during Thanksgiving week with the family.

I wish Rutgers would play in this tournament.

Pike doesn’t want his team playing in front of you on Thanksgiving. He wants his team to be eating turkey with their family on thanksgiving.

I respect him for this.

If Princeton keeps playing this they'll eventually become a quad 1 or 2 game for us and then we will have permission to schedule them.

Reactions: Unionst
Uh, I would stick with Hunterdon over Mercer any day. 😉
Yeah, talking temporary residency .. although they have a few more and nice county golf courses. We got one who's always filled with non county golfers cause our out of county fees are stupid low (Heron glen)

I love how the NCAA and TV can just drool over 12 to 16 seeds beating the lower seeds in a once in a decade game but a team losing to a Q3 (at last ranking) and such can be such horror to keep you out.

"Crap happens" is welcome in the tourney but exclusionary when judging full seasons.

Reactions: biazza38
I love how the NCAA and TV can just drool over 12 to 16 seeds beating the lower seeds in a once in a decade game but a team losing to a Q3 (at last ranking) and such can be such horror to keep you out.

"Crap happens" is welcome in the tourney but exclusionary when judging full seasons.
You don't get a chance to lose to four Q3 teams in the tourney.

If this is an excuse for Purdue loss, it is a fantasy. One of Top Ten choke jobs ever in sports, #1 in college basketball.

With Princeton s run, will be interesting to see if MacConnel is looked at for some HC gigs. Same can be said for Henderson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT