ADVERTISEMENT

Pritzlaff article ( Wrestling)

The coaching coup of the century!! Getting a guy who prob. could be a HC at a lot of other schools today to come here and be an asst.!! And not only bring him into the program, but to make it work even better than anyone could've hoped!! Kudos to all the coaches and the young men who have pushed this program to new heights this year!! Yet we can still expect even greater things ahead!! Like Donny said..."we are on the cusp!" Go RU and see y'all tomorrow night as we deck Sparty!!

Reactions: obrats
My only worry with Donny is how long can we hold on to him. Our success makes him more attractive for an HC position elsewhere. I assume that is his goal and I guess if the time comes we thank him for his good work and wish him the best. Hopefully we have for atleast one more year.

Donny loves it here and has as much free reign to do what he wants and is never viewed as an Assistant. He loves living in NJ as does his wife. I can't see him leaving here any time soon as long as we continue to make progress toward our goal. I can't see him relocating for a position as his wife and 2 girls are settled into such a lovely home and community. I am not speaking for him but we have talked about this and those are his feelings too. Let's hope for the best!

Reactions: czxqa and KidDagger
Donny loves it here and has as much free reign to do what he wants and is never viewed as an Assistant. He loves living in NJ as does his wife. I can't see him leaving here any time soon as long as we continue to make progress toward our goal. I can't see him relocating for a position as his wife and 2 girls are settled into such a lovely home and community. I am not speaking for him but we have talked about this and those are his feelings too. Let's hope for the best!
Bill,with all due respect,some time back,Scott,Leo and Cooperman put forth a video,about Corey leaving the program.Apparently,someone must of spilled the beans about Coop leaving.In that video,they maintained that Coop was "here too stay" and whatever was written,was not true.Not too long after,Coop flew the Coop.People love titles,more than money sometimes,and Donny is getting older and may want too have a HC position too fulfill his career goals.With that said,I want him too stay ..forever if we could keep him.It's not realistic,and certainly not fair too expect that from him.I remember reading something on themat.com about Goodale moving into a larger, more lucrative position at RU and Donnie eventually taking over.Sue me for being wrong,but I swear I read that somewhere.That would be ideal...but what do they say"careful what you wish for"? For now,Scott has pulled large rabbits out of his hat with recruits and having Donnie P here...so for that I ( and I can't speak for others) am extremely grateful

WNG and i were at the Steakhouse 85 dinner. We knew we had our man. Having SKWC helped a lot in making this happen and is a reason why SKWC pin pool is important to do if you are a RU Wrestling fan.

Two thoughts on the above notes:
One - Better to have 5 great years of a superstar than 20 mediocre years from someone who can't leave.

Two - Donny has a young family he does not to uproot. He is fundamentally stable person. He is a family guy and his family is here. Not many programs (Columbia, Lehigh) that he could go to and don't require moving. However, if Cael can go from ISU to PSU and Gable can go from ISU to Iowa, then leaving is a risk, but the offer would have to be unreal.

Outside of a whale offer from another program, Donny is a straight shooter. If there were an issue preventing his happiness, he would let us know.

Imagine a pedigree of a bunch of recent All-Americans combined with a new facility? Add 9.9 national scholarships, not just NJ in-state equivalents, and we are a perennial top 10 program.

I agree with Josh that whatever time we get from Donny is a bonus. This is not a knock on Coop who I had a great relationship with but his circumstances and Donny's are at different ends of the spectrum so that is not a good example.

Bill and Josh,

Thanks for providing your perspective. We know what an asset he is to the program and seems like a guy with a lot of integrity as well. I agree that 5 great years is preferred over 20 mediocre ones if we can get five that should allow Rutgers to really get this program established.

It is a great article. Here's hoping Donnie has a long stay at RU, and eventually take over the HC spot.

Is a coach of his caliber able to run wrestling camps to supplement his income. With the high population density in NJ and disposable income, one would think he can be successful ($$$) in running wrestling camps given his pedigree. That could be an incentive to stay also.

I agree with Josh that whatever time we get from Donny is a bonus. This is not a knock on Coop who I had a great relationship with but his circumstances and Donny's are at different ends of the spectrum so that is not a good example.
Bill.please understand,I wasn't knocking what we have,but given our past experience of our hopes being brought up with great recruits going bust,and great coaches coming and going like a bus stop,it's kind of hard too accept that we have such a good thing now,and more importantly it is permanent for the time being. Donnie Pritzlaff has so many opportunities staying here,and I think he knows that.

Credo
I know you were not knocking but I just wanted to make the point that Donny and Coop and what they want are light years apart. We have a far greater chance of keeping Donny given what is important to him than we did with any of our other assistants. We will do whatever possible to make sure his time here is as rewarding as possible.

Is there a thought that Donnie would take over the program? Seems like Goodale would slide perfectly into an administrative role. Just a thought down the line

Our 9.9 scholarships are funded...but as NJ equivalents. So if NJ Tuition is $11k versus out of state tuitiion is $27k, then 9.9 in state scholarships gives us $110,000 budget to work with while out of state equivalents gives us potentially $265,000 if all scholarships went to non-NJ kids. This does not mean you can give more than 9.9 scholarships if you have 9.9 full awarded to NJ kids and don't use up $265k. It means that it gives us the flexibility to go in state and out of state without sacrificing. Let's say Anthony Ashnault was from Central Dauphin HS near Harrisburg like Ed Ruth and Tyson Dippery. Today the reality is that to give him a full ride, he would have used $27k of our $110k budget. Thank goodness NJ wrestling is awesome. Due to department deficit, this conversion unlikely until Big Ten full funding comes.
But we are getting support and flexibility now...The RU Athletics admin sees this sport as the #1 coiled spring. Hard to sell many other sports right now. Soccer (M&W) are doing well, but they don't have the attendance, active alumni (SKWC) or donors that wrestling currently does. Wrestling kids are from NJ (8 of 10 starters). We are close to being a profitable sport (Program costs minus donations minus ticket revenue). Before we get too convinced of our own awesomeness by looking in the mirror we are a rounding error to potential impact if FB and BB can turn their programs around, Due to football TV rights, they will be the engine that really funds everything. BBall can be orders of magnitude larger revenue and profit than wrestling. But we are the best program now and the admin appreciates the program a lot. Even Star Ledger, Asbury Park Press and others are on the RU Wrestling band wagon.
And the SKWC + alums appreciate the support that Tim Pernetti, Julie Hermann, and Pat Hobbs have each shown. Pat Hobbs was there at pre-match Skull session, for the NJ Hall of Fame ceremony and all of the matches. He was at Nebraska match too. (Marco Battaglia is at nearly every home match too.)

Last edited:
Josh gave you a great critique there. Yesterday's crowd of 3340 was very good for a Friday night against an MSU that was not expected to be a tough opponent. Hopefully we can really rock the house on 1/22 against a tough Wisconsin squad.

Josh - great info, thanks for sharing. nice to hear the administration is clued in to whats going on.

also good point on the scale of football and basketball. its worth keeping in mind that even for the wrestling programs at places like PSU, Iowa and OkSt, they are still rounding errors compared to the FB and BB budgets.

Our 9.9 scholarships are funded...but as NJ equivalents. So if NJ Tuition is $11k versus out of state tuitiion is $27k, then 9.9 in state scholarships gives us $110,000 budget to work with while out of state equivalents gives us potentially $265,000 if all scholarships went to non-NJ kids. This does not mean you can give more than 9.9 scholarships if you have 9.9 full awarded to NJ kids and don't use up $265k. It means that it gives us the flexibility to go in state and out of state without sacrificing. Let's say Anthony Ashnault was from Central Dauphin HS near Harrisburg like Ed Ruth and Tyson Dippery. Today the reality is that to give him a full ride, he would have used $27k of our $110k budget. Thank goodness NJ wrestling is awesome. Due to department deficit, this conversion unlikely until Big Ten full funding comes.
But we are getting support and flexibility now...The RU Athletics admin sees this sport as the #1 coiled spring. Hard to sell many other sports right now. Soccer (M&W) are doing well, but they don't have the attendance, active alumni (SKWC) or donors that wrestling currently does. Wrestling kids are from NJ (8 of 10 starters). We are close to being a profitable sport (Program costs minus donations minus ticket revenue). Before we get too convinced of our own awesomeness by looking in the mirror we are a rounding error to potential impact if FB and BB can turn their programs around, Due to football TV rights, they will be the engine that really funds everything. BBall can be orders of magnitude larger revenue and profit than wrestling. But we are the best program now and the admin appreciates the program a lot. Even Star Ledger, Asbury Park Press and others are on the RU Wrestling band wagon.
And the SKWC + alums appreciate the support that Tim Pernetti, Julie Hermann, and Pat Hobbs have each shown. Pat Hobbs was there at pre-match Skull session, for the NJ Hall of Fame ceremony and all of the matches. He was at Nebraska match too. (Marco Battaglia is at nearly every home match too.)
Thanks for the detailed response. Just to clarify, is our scholly budget currently at 110K with a ceiling of 265K thus putting RU at a 155K deficit to say a PSU or other "fully funded" conference member? If I am understanding your explanation correctly we are hamstrung only when we recruit outside our border which despite our talent rich state still puts us at a hefty disadvantage. Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Thanks for the detailed response. Just to clarify, is our scholly budget currently at 110K with a ceiling of 265K thus putting RU at a 155K deficit to say a PSU or other "fully funded" conference member? If I am understanding your explanation correctly we are hamstrung only when we recruit outside our border which despite our talent rich state still puts us at a hefty disadvantage. Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
You're correct. We need full OOS funding. We are hamstrung by only funding 9.9 schollies at in-state rates so we have a deficit of $152,361 or $15,390/schollie. In state tuition with on campus room & board is $26,185, whereas OOS it's $41,575:
http://admissions.rutgers.edu/costs/tuitionandfees.aspx

Plus you have to add the cost of attendance stipend of slightly less than $4,200/in-state schollie & between $4,800 & $4,900/OOS schollie.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
You're correct. We need full OOS funding. We are hamstrung by only funding 9.9 schollies at in-state rates so we have a deficit of $152,361 or $15,390/schollie. In state tuition with on campus room & board is $26,185, whereas OOS it's $41,575:

Plus you have to add the cost of attendance stipend of slightly less than $4,200/in-state schollie & between $4,800 & $4,900/OOS schollie.
Thanks. That is quite a shortfall it seems. How many years is it believed to be until we erase that deficit and see fully funded OOS scholly money?

How many kids on team are on scholarship? So ,if there are only 9.9 ships are most kids walk ons or are a number of kids splitting ships with other kids?

Thanks. That is quite a shortfall it seems. How many years is it believed to be until we erase that deficit and see fully funded OOS scholly money?
Absent donors stepping up, I think someone said 2021 or 2022 when we get full share of B1G $.
How many kids on team are on scholarship? So ,if there are only 9.9 ships are most kids walk ons or are a number of kids splitting ships with other kids?
Typically you split schollies & have walkons. Others that are closer to the team would know the exact details.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT