ADVERTISEMENT

Pritzlaff

Taking the job at Columbia.. awful news.
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Huge loss but hopefully they can replace him someone even more experienced and credentialed.

I'll take a shot in the dark and say that this will be Sebastian Rivera's job to accept or decline post olympics, or he takes an assistant job under Donnie at Columbia
Love Sea Bass, but would he be ready for an assistant HC job at a B1G school? Anyone at say Lehigh we can poach?

Oh, my. Big loss, but there is opportunity that goes along with it. Will Rutgers take full advantage of that opportunity? I hope so, but I have doubts until I see it. How many commits came because of Donnie?

Def gonna miss Donnie, I hope he does well w Columbia.
Now to see where they go - is it gonna be someone associated w the school or working out with them in some capacity.
Is it gonna be a hire out of no where.

Need to nail this one down !

Brutal news.

Does Goodale elevate Buxton until a replacement is found?
Any realistic people lined up to replace?

Good for Donnie, he deserves a head coaching job. I was surprised when he didn’t take the Wisconsin job a few years back but I guess Columbia is close enough where he doesn’t have to relocate his family.
Supposedly, he also turned down Maryland in 2019 because he didn't want to move. Family is in NJ, so the D1 options are Rutgers, Princeton, Lehigh, Columbia, UPenn, and Drexel. He knows Tanelli well, so I'm sure he knows what he's getting into at Columbia. Plus Ashnault was there a year as well.

Not great news but maybe he gets a couple of years experience as the head guy and then comes back to RU whenever our job becomes available.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
It’s a shame. We talk about being a top 5 team. But go look at staffs of other programs. Full of multiple AA, finalists, champions, and world level accolades. Young coaches who get on the mat and guys in training center matter to recruits as do coaches who themselves have gotten to where the athletes aspire.

I Posted this to the round table but figured there might be some good insight here also:

Not being totally in the loop is there any reason why RU wouldn’t reach out to Frank Molinaro? He asst. coached here under Goodale for a few years and maybe putting him in a “right hand man” position could lure him back. Seems like he’d check a few boxes NJ guy, competed at the Olympic level, would bring some youth, has a really good coaching pedigree, etc.

Reactions: obrats
I Posted this to the round table but figured there might be some good insight here also:

Not being totally in the loop is there any reason why RU wouldn’t reach out to Frank Molinaro? He asst. coached here under Goodale for a few years and maybe putting him in a “right hand man” position could lure him back. Seems like he’d check a few boxes NJ guy, competed at the Olympic level, would bring some youth, has a really good coaching pedigree, etc.
Old rumors from back then were that he wasn't a good fit here but I have no inside info on that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: mattiek

I think it would seem like a lateral move for molinaro , word is he’s supposed to be a big part and possibly the head coach of the new RTC they are building now that Sunkist has shut down …I do think that he would come to Rutgers for the head coaching job though , he’s in his mid 30s now and aspires to be a head coach so I don’t believe he leaves for anything less

I think it would seem like a lateral move for molinaro , word is he’s supposed to be a big part and possibly the head coach of the new RTC they are building now that Sunkist has shut down …I do think that he would come to Rutgers for the head coaching job though , he’s in his mid 30s now and aspires to be a head coach so I don’t believe he leaves for anything less
Molinaro is in a great spot and seems pretty happy.

I agree on the thought process, might be easier for us to get a top tier asst from a non-big ten/twelve team and lure them up.

This is the worst time for this too with recruiting season just opening.they better have someone in mind.

Can’t go cheap. Loss of Donnie on the recruiting trail and in that room could be devastating if they make the wrong hire. Need to show that we are for real and make a splash.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
I think if you guys can’t find someone Donnie level or above it soon you should leave the slot open like Dubuque did last season and then jump on the best guy looking for a job next season .. you don’t want to get locked in with a coach because you felt desperate, in the long run waiting a year for brewer could do wonders for Princeton , RU might be better off taking that route given the timing of Donnie leaving

Timing seems a little off here for something. Donnie sniffing around for a HC job or did all this just fall into his lap the last three weeks? Yet AA goes off to Princeton a little over three weeks ago? The AA saga potentially getting a little stinkier to me...and it was stinky already in my mind for some time now.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Timing seems a little off here for something. Donnie sniffing around for a HC job or did all this just fall into his lap the last three weeks? Yet AA goes off to Princeton a little over three weeks ago? The AA saga potentially getting a little stinkier to me...and it was stinky already in my mind for some time now.
I would have to think Goodale knows Donnie was going after the job at Columbia. Hopefully there was a plan in place. If they’re losing Sebastian and Donnie that’s disastrous to the SKWC and Rutgers.

What's a little off? Tanelli left end of April. Columbia posted the opening 5/7. He applied, interviewed, and now accepted. There is no set time for coaching changes. Koll left Cornell for Stanford in May, and then left Stanford for UNC in Aug. Ayers left Princeton for Stanford in Sept. Not everything is a conspiracy. He turned down MD in 2019, so everyone knew he had HC aspirations, but it had to be close to home, so that left Rutgers, Princeton, Lehigh, Columbia, UPenn, and Drexel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
Boroughs or Dake. Let Dake finish the Olympics and get him here. That would be amazing. Also, Coleman Scott would be pretty solid pickup.

We have a good thing at RU. It may look like the sky is falling with this news, but we all knew that there was always a possibility of this happening. It's a great move for Donnie. From his standpoint, younger NJ legends who went to the Edge are now coaches (Dubuque, Tanelli, Valente, Grey). He's the older guy of all of them. It's time for him to be at the helm of a program. Unfortunately, the timing didn't play out for RU.

Anyhow, I think there will be people interested in the position. What's not to like about what we have? Grade A facility, in a wrestling hotspot, great assistants, great incoming class and roster, passionate fan base, etc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT