ADVERTISEMENT

Private High School recruiting.

Riceonthebanks

Freshman
Oct 22, 2010
It seems obvious that these schools recruit kids specifically to play sports. Is it on the level? Are there any rules against it or the manner in which it is conducted?

This was a long time ago so I apologize in advance if I am wrong but I believe back when the parochial schools in monmouth and ocean joined the Shore Conference (they joined in order to ease scheduling and reduce travel costs) they promised not to recruit outside of their assigned area and to refrain from giving out athletic scholarships. They have been able to work around it on many cases, as do some public schools who miraculously find a way to get an athlete residence within their town. Many parishes give out parish scholarships to local parochial schools and when I was teaching and coaching in Monmouth county it was amazing how many of the parish scholarships went to athletes but it is legal. As far as I am concerned, I would simply prefer that the schools that want to have these elite programs just admit it and form their own conference. At least it would be honest.

Yes, there are rules against it, or at least rules that seek to limit it. That's why when a star athlete from a NJ public HS (like Rutherford HS) decides to transfer to a state parochial power (like Bosco), he'd be expected to sit out a few games before competing as the new QB (or WR). Of course, whether the student in question was "recruited" is a matter of perspective.

While any official representatives from the parochial power are not allowed to contact the player directly, there is no rule saying the player cannot contact the school. Moreover, other student athletes and parents who do not work for the school have nothing stopping them from encouraging public HS star athletes to transfer.

What is there to stop a team parent or any fan of a parochial power from (after seeing an impressive athlete perform in a Pop Warner game) approaching a kid's parents, praising his talents, and inviting the family out to dinner in order to inform them of the benefits of playing football at a school like BC, DBP, PC, SJR, SPP, etc....

It happens all the time. While the fans in these cases are essentially functioning as unpaid scouts, they are still not employed by these schools. Sure, they may be "on a mission" for coaches expecting contact with these players, but good luck proving it. Sadly, given the over-emphasis on football at some of these parochials, the cleverness with which they skirt the rules is on track to one day rival the cunning of the SEC. But hey, money talks; and the success on the gridiron enjoyed by these schools has resulted in increased donations. If that's the way things work, can we really blame them?

Yes, there are rules against it, or at least rules that seek to limit it. That's why when a star athlete from a NJ public HS (like Rutherford HS) decides to transfer to a state parochial power (like Bosco), he'd be expected to sit out a few games before competing as the new QB (or WR). Of course, whether the student in question was "recruited" is a matter of perspective.

While any official representatives from the parochial power are not allowed to contact the player directly, there is no rule saying the player cannot contact the school. Moreover, other student athletes and parents who do not work for the school have nothing stopping them from encouraging public HS star athletes to transfer.

What is there to stop a team parent or any fan of a parochial power from (after seeing an impressive athlete perform in a Pop Warner game) approaching a kid's parents, praising his talents, and inviting the family out to dinner in order to inform them of the benefits of playing football at a school like BC, DBP, PC, SJR, SPP, etc....

It happens all the time. While the fans in these cases are essentially functioning as unpaid scouts, they are still not employed by these schools. Sure, they may be "on a mission" for coaches expecting contact with these players, but good luck proving it. Sadly, given the over-emphasis on football at some of these parochials, the cleverness with which they skirt the rules is on track to one day rival the cunning of the SEC. But hey, money talks; and the success on the gridiron enjoyed by these schools has resulted in increased donations. If that's the way things work, can we really blame them?

It seems especially prevalent in New Jersey where half the rated talent comes from a core of private schools that are much less than even 5 percent of the state student population.

I know of 1 parent, whose daughter is attending a NJ private that costs $40,000 per year. She plays hoops & that private school found a way to reduce his cost to $5,000 per year. School is very good academically & therefore it was a no brainer for him to accept on her behalf.

When it comes to a school loaded with studs, like IMG Academy, we have to assume that some of the players not from privileged backgrounds are given full scholarships, so as to increase the reputation of the team, and allow the school to charge full tuition for the more privileged student-athletes, who otherwise might not be elite prospects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT