ADVERTISEMENT

PSU AD: Chambers guaranteed a 5th year

michstfr

All American
Feb 4, 2005
Just FYI. Chambers is in his 4th year at PSU and they are 3-12 and are coming off an embarrassing loss to Northwestern of all teams in which they scored a total of 39 points. He has no NIT or NCAA bids in those 4 years (assuming they don't win the B10 Tourney this year).

And the AD made it clear he is getting a 5th year and stated that "They" meaning PSU needs to do more to help Coach Chambers.

My point is do you really think Rutgers is going to fire Eddie Jordan after say next year or even the year after? Can't see them deviating much from what PSU has done.

Her response, reiterating previous affirmations, was immediate and emphatic:

"Yes. He deserves more opportunity than he's gotten. And we need to help him more. No one wins if we just keep turning over men's basketball coaches.

"These things take time. I believe we have the chance to turn a corner."

Patt Chambers

While Penn St has been awful in conference

They have 15 wins and a good recruiting class coming in next year. You tell me that Jordan get us to .500 in two years and improves recruiting, I will be happy.

On the other hand, if we get 10 wins next year and a ton of blowouts, and recruiting stays poor, you want to keep going down that road? Next year means a ton.

The conference is what matters.

But obviously if Rutgers is GOD AWFUL the next TWO years then I could see a change prior to year 5.

But short of that I think folks better get use to AT LEAST 2 if NOT 3 more years of Coach Jordan before Rutgers even contemplates a change. Seriously.

Norm Roberts got 6 years at SJU. Oliver Purnell got 5 years at DePaul and counting and they have not had a winning overall record or winning conference record in any year. Kevin Willard has gotten 5 years and will be getting a 6th year with never having a winning league record. Tom Crean's first 3 years were plain AWFUL at Indiana. Beyond terrible for a top 10 job. Still got a 4th year. Again not all the circumstances are the same specifically Crean and Roberts who took over NCAA sanctioned programs. But you really think a school with no recent winning history is going to be MORE trigger happy than those schools? Seriously?

You need to put things into perspective. If Pat Chambers is going to get 5 years especially looking at his overall conference record and considering PSU's considerable resources and the fact they have been in the B10 FAARRR longer than Rutgers then it is nearly impossible to think Eddie gets less time at RU.

Originally posted by ruman:

While Penn St has been awful in conference

They have 15 wins and a good recruiting class coming in next year. You tell me that Jordan get us to .500 in two years and improves recruiting, I will be happy.

On the other hand, if we get 10 wins next year and a ton of blowouts, and recruiting stays poor, you want to keep going down that road? Next year means a ton.

I've said this before. 3 years is the usual minimum in football and 4 years is the usual minimum for a CBB coach so I wouldn't expect any change before then. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not the norm.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
I've said this before. 3 years is the usual minimum in football and 4 years is the usual minimum for a CBB coach so I wouldn't expect any change before then. Does it happen? Sure, but it's not the norm.
It happens here. Year 3 or 4 is usually when the coach implodes.

Originally posted by megadrone:

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
It happens here. Year 3 or 4 is usually when the coach implodes.
Yes and barring that it's not likely. Bannon got 4. Waters got 5. Even FHJ got his 4th year and was on his way to his 5th before the baseball issue. Mike Rice was here 3 and on his way to his 4th before his problem. So barring some crazy thing happening EJ is likely here for 2 more years, so best to hope he turns it around.

Bannon and Waters managed to produces winning seasons along the way. I just want the school prepared if we win in the single digits next year. That put is in Littlepage territory (and he got 3).

this is a totally different situation here and its also happening at a school in Penn State that could give a rats ass about basketball

For the record Pat Chambers is 53-72 overall and 15-54 in conference with 3 games remaining in his 4th year.

That is really bad. Furthermore put yourself in the place of a PSU fan much like you guys diagnose EVERY PLAY in EVERY LOSS that RU goes thru.

Are you telling me that you would not be able to go thru those 54 conference losses including the last one to Northwestern and the 72 overall losses and crtitque every play and every loss as "seeing the same bad play" "seeing no improvement" and "seeing the same dumb mistakes?"

You would find the same things to criticize Pat Chambers that you criticize Eddie Jordan for.

Bad teams usually bring that on.

And remember Ed DeChellis left PSU for NAVY 4 years ago. NAVY for crying out loud which doesn't even offer athletic scholarships even after going 9-9 and winning 19 games in 2010-11 and going to his first and only NCAA Tourney at PSU.

He left because he understood how difficult it is to win in the B10 at a school with no winning basketball tradition such as PSU and was not sure if PSU would make the commitment to basketball that was needed. So he left probably because he knew that his 19 wins and 9-9 record was about as good as he good get and that he was poised to struggle the next couple of years which would have led to his eventual firing. So he left for the first available job even though that job is about as low profile as you can get.

PSU understands now they are not a destination job and neither is Rutgers and that they cannot keep firing coaches without giving them every opportunity to build something and also committing themselves to being competitive in terms of facilities and funding.

Originally posted by ruman:
Bannon and Waters managed to produces winning seasons along the way. I just want the school prepared if we win in the single digits next year. That put is in Littlepage territory (and he got 3).
Waters didn't implode, though, at least the way Bannon, Rice and Hill did.

How many places could that happen to 3 out of 4 coaches?

Originally posted by bac2therac:

this is a totally different situation here and its also happening at a school in Penn State that could give a rats ass about basketball

Really? As oppose to us?

Originally posted by CranfordKnight:

Originally posted by michstfr:

You need to put things into perspective.
You must be new around here...
roll.r191677.gif

The DePaul job is similar to us in that they have been bad last 15 years. And Oliver is now there 5 years and still does not have a winning season. And people want Eddie fired already?

It's not that we're losing. During our 11-game losing streak, our average loss is 18.6 points, including back-to-back 30-pt losses and Michigan State and Ohio State "Welcome to the Big 10" beatdowns.

We'll see what next year brings.
This post was edited on 2/24 4:46 PM by Aggs

Problem is we can barely score 50 points and like Patrick said the starters could be worn out.

Pernell should be fired. He probably should have went last year. He has been stealing his paycheck. Please be positive when you defend Eddie. Dont point to other schools who manage their basketball program just as poorly as Rutgers.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Aggs:
It's not that we're losing. During our 11-game losing streak, our average loss is 18.6 points, including back-to-back 30-pt losses and Michigan State and Ohio State "Welcome to the Big 10" beatdowns.

We'll see what next year brings.
This post was edited on 2/24 4:46 PM by Aggs
Aside from this and the poor recruiting, things look good

Purnell is a perfect example of why I wouldn't hand out long term contracts. His original deal was 7 years at 14M. So 2M per season. I'm sure the contract length and buyout play a role in him being there as long as he has and maybe longer. So after this season he'll still have 2 years left on the original deal. Judging by the record it looks like he's shown a little bit of progress this year but will he build on it. I'm guessing that little bit of progress plus the remaining 2 years on this contract will keep him there another year. He may hang on just because of the contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT