ADVERTISEMENT

PSU week

pish69

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2016
Hi

just trying to get some chatter going. I’m a PSU fan from Jersey and interested to see any takes from Rutgers side.

Obviously the big match is Lee vs Rivera. Any other matches you think may be interesting? Surprises?

I saw Aguilar got pinned but I know he’s better than that. If Howard goes, I give the edge to PSU, if it’s someone else, edge Rutgers.

Is Alvarez wrestling this week? I’ll take RBY all day but that could be a fun tight match with some crazy positions.

is Aragona hurt or just behind SeaBass and not big enough for 149?

Any other Rutgers kids I should watch for that I may not know?

Been too long without college wrestling. Good luck

Hi
I’m a PSU fan from Jersey
Not cool, not cool at all. You and matter7172 should hang out in Tabernacle sometime. I'm sure he'll tell you why everyone else sucks and psu should be the only school allowed to wrestle in the NCAA's.

Last edited:
Not cool, not cool at all. You and matter7172 should hang out in Tabernacle sometime. I'm sure he'll tell you why everyone else sucks and psu should be the only school allowed to wrestle in the NCAA's.

Is that what you got out of my post? Just trying to talk a little wrestling since this is the match up this week

Is that what you got out of my post? Just trying to talk a little wrestling since this is the match up this week
Yea pretty much. After your prediction of "should be a shutout" on the psu dysfunctional board. But let's talk wrestling, how do you think it's going to go? 36-0, 42-0, Good discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreinsdorf
Give us your projected lineup for PSU and we can talk matchups.

125. Howard or Shunk
133 RBY
141 N Lee
149 Verkleeren, Bartlett, Bearclaw, Gardner?
157 Berge
165 J Lee
174 Starocci
184 Brooks
197 Beard
285 Kerkliviet

Yea pretty much. After your prediction of "should be a shutout" on the psu dysfunctional board. But let's talk wrestling, how do you think it's going to go? 36-0, 42-0, Good discussion.

what would you like me to say? That wasn’t a shot at Rutgers. If Howard wrestles and N Lee win that’s probably how it would go IMO. I’ve been wrong many times before.

my intention wasn’t to cause issues here. Just to talk about matchups, possible surprises etc.

I’m sure I’ll be doing same thing when we wrestle Iowa as they the only other team with a Rivals board.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
pish69 - I welcome your knowledge and coming to discuss Saturday's match. As Penn State could wrestle up to 6 freshman, it will give us a view of the future. It will be a great test for the Rutgers kids and help us as fans measure the level of our team. We need to wrestle the best to become the best.

I give Rutgers a chance at 125, 133, 141, 149, and 197. Predict 8 bouts to 2. Most important is to see how our kids fight and not back down.

Reactions: pish69
pish69 - I welcome your knowledge and coming to discuss Saturday's match. As Penn State could wrestle up to 6 freshman, it will give us a view of the future. It will be a great test for the Rutgers kids and help us as fans measure the level of our team. We need to wrestle the best to become the best.

I give Rutgers a chance at 125, 133, 141, 149, and 197. Predict 8 bouts to 2.

Thanks for not jumping on me. I agree those are the weights that are most highly contested.

Beard at 197 is a beast but it’s his gas tank that scares me. If it wasn’t for that I’d lean heavy PSU. If Janzer can push the pace for all 7 minutes. Could get interesting

There are a couple of people from BWI I would entertain discussing wrestling with but very few based on your boards banter over the years. Matter and crew being the worst. Unfortunately 25 was a low point last week so not sure what to expect. No idea on Alvarez but it will of course be a wild one if history has anything to show us. I'm also interested in the 41, 49 and 97 matchups. Poz is definitely over-matched but his potential is there and depending how Janzer is coming along hoping for a close one. If the same MVB shows that took on Storr then that is also a potential W. What can SeaBass do against legit competition?

Reactions: pish69
184 will be a great test to see where Poz has to improve. Hoping he can keep it close and go 3 periods....Brooks is one of the top dogs at 184

Reactions: MS-RU and pish69
TWhat can SeaBass do against legit competition?

this isn’t a legit question.Rivera has wins over S Lee, Gross, RBY, etc. we KNOW he can win against legit competition.

2 beasts will go at it this weekend..I won’t count either out to be at top of podium regardless of the outcome of this match

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
184 will be a great test to see where Poz has to improve. Hoping he can keep it close and go 3 periods....Brooks is one of the top dogs at 184

I haven’t seen Poz, so I won’t comment on him personally. If he can keep it less than a major against Brooks who IMO isTHE guy at 184. That would be something special for Poz

125 If it's Howard will be a good match
133 If we see Alvarez will be a good match
141 Seabass vs Lee great match
149 If Barlett Psu wins if not Rutgers could win
157 Berge wins by a few
165 Lee wins maybe major
174 Starocci wins maybe major
184 Brooks wins maybe major
197 Beard and Janzer is toss up match
Hwt Kerkvliet wins major or pin
I think it's a 8-2 dual match wise one way or another.Thinking maybe we dont see Howard or Bartlett.Could be Shunk and Barraclough/Verkleren

Thanks for the offer to exchange views. I think we're good for three to nine points. A shut-out would be devastating.

Aguilar could hang in there at 125 if last week isn't an indication of where he's at. From what I saw of him last year, I might expect him to win or at least think he could.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Alvarez wrestle close with RBY last year? We'll see who has improved the most.

Rivera was among the best at 133. I'm hoping to see him transition strong to 141. This will be a good test.

Last week was the first time I was impressed by MVB. If that guy shows up again it will be interesting.

Poz has great potential and I hope to see him wrestle competitively with everyone. His inexperience will be a handicap with a top 184 but if anyone on the team can surprise us, it's him. He's tough.

Janzer is another talent and I look forward to seeing how he does.

Thanks for the offer to exchange views. I think we're good for three to nine points. A shut-out would be devastating.

Aguilar could hang in there at 125 if last week isn't an indication of where he's at. From what I saw of him last year, I might expect him to win or at least think he could.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Alvarez wrestle close with RBY last year? We'll see who has improved the most.

Rivera was among the best at 133. I'm hoping to see him transition strong to 141. This will be a good test.

Last week was the first time I was impressed by MVB. If that guy shows up again it will be interesting.

Poz has great potential and I hope to see him wrestle competitively with everyone. His inexperience will be a handicap with a top 184 but if anyone on the team can surprise us, it's him. He's tough.

Janzer is another talent and I look forward to seeing how he does.

Yeah last year RBY won in SV and then by a few points at B1Gs. Interesting style match. Alvarez relies on guys attacking and getting into crazy scrambles and RBY loves to attack and get into crazy scramble. If RBY just went for clean Tds and let him up I think he’d win this matchup every time by a nice margin, but that’s not his nature. There will be some crazy stuff can’t wait for it.

any word why Alvarez didn’t go last week?

After reading a lot of these responses. I will keep my eye on Poz. Seems like very high hopes for the kid. That being said Brooks is top of the food chain and world class.

From PSU perspective. Most looking forward to..

1. Lee/Rivera. Should be great matchup
2. RBY/ Alvarez
3. Berge—haven’t seen him in a folk match in a long time. He had a nasty injury and many thought he wouldn’t come back
4. Robbie Howard
5. Who PSU sends out at 149. Hoping to see Bartlett
6. Kerk, Starocci continue to dominate. I honestly feel both of these kids will be finalists
7. Brooks..just because he’s so talented. He’s so fluid in all positions
8. Joe Lee making his varsity debut
9. Beards gas tank

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
Unfortunately, PSU is another bad match-up for us. Obviously they have a ton of talent and are a bad match-up for basically everyone aside from Iowa & Michigan, but they are particularly strong at our strongest weights (141, 133, 197) which doesn't really bode well for us. If we somehow end up 0-3 here, it wouldn't be a shock to see us get shutout.

There are some weights like 157, 165, 174, 184, and 285 where we really don't stand much of a chance. Any wins at any of these weights would be considered a massive upset.

149 and 125 are toss-ups/wildcards depending on who PSU sends out but Bartlett and Howard were both extremely accomplished wrestlers in high school (4x prep NC, 2x NJ state champ, etc.) with high levels of international freestyle (cadet world teams, pan am, etc.) success as well. From our perspective Aguilar hasn't been very consistent so we have no idea which version of him shows up and while MVB has looked good recently, there is nothing that points to him being a sure thing either, which is why it's a toss up.

Unfortunately, PSU is another bad match-up for us. Obviously they have a ton of talent and are a bad match-up for basically everyone aside from Iowa & Michigan, but they are particularly strong at our strongest weights (141, 133, 197) which doesn't really bode well for us. If we somehow end up 0-3 here, it wouldn't be a shock to see us get shutout.

There are some weights like 157, 165, 174, 184, and 285 where we really don't stand much of a chance. Any wins at any of these weights would be considered a massive upset.

149 and 125 are toss-ups/wildcards depending on who PSU sends out but Bartlett and Howard were both extremely accomplished wrestlers in high school (4x prep NC, 2x NJ state champ, etc.) with high levels of international freestyle (cadet world teams, pan am, etc.) success as well. From our perspective Aguilar hasn't been very consistent so we have no idea which version of him shows up and while MVB has looked good recently, there is nothing that points to him being a sure thing either, which is why it's a toss up.
Aguilar Howard was a very good match in HS so would hope with 2 years college experience Aguilar would be right there. If he loses by anything but close decision he is going in the wrong direction.

Dollar, you not impressed with Kerkvliet? I think he is top 3 this year, multiple time world medalist....think he wins big
I didn't say that. I go to the track and read the past performances. I see he beat Fernandes 6-4 last year during an undefeated redshirt season. Did not see any big name wins there. Our guy held #2 Paris to a decision last week. I'm just questioning why a MD or Fall is so obvious. I'm far from an expert in any of this. A quick learner I am. Thanks. $$$$

I didn't say that. I go to the track and read the past performances. I see he beat Fernandes 6-4 last year during an undefeated redshirt season. Did not see any big name wins there. Our guy held #2 Paris to a decision last week. I'm just questioning why a MD or Fall is so obvious. I'm far from an expert in any of this. A quick learner I am. Thanks. $$$$

If you haven’t seen him wrestle you’re in for a treat. A complete man child. Fast, strong, phenomenal from his feet. His freestyle wins in the last year off the top of my head is Nick Nevills (former PSU AA) by pin and decision at 2019 senior nationals. Recently techd Pitts Demetrius Romero by tech in under a minute, techd Previous AA Yousefd Hermidia in under a minute and current NC State starting heavy in under a minute. Granted these were all freestyle results. But should translate well. Only guys I can see hanging with him are Gable and Parris. I give Kerk the edge over Parris and Gable will be a barnburner

Kerkvliet is going to be a stud and problem for years to come. I was happy to hear he was leaving OSU (and hopefully the conference) but then got even more pissed when he ended up at PSU lol. It wouldn't surprise me to see him finish in the top 2 this year. He's that good.

He is the type of heavyweight wrestler Kyonte Hamilton should aspire to be and if he even gets remotely close to that, he will be insanely successful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT