ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs Rutgers / Game Thread ~ Third Round BigTen Tournament

kudos to the team , even though they lost.
Rutgers might have lost tonight, but won the hearts of its fans and gave us hope for the future the way RU MBB played tonight and every B1G tourney game.
We'll have an off season filled with hope , because of the way this team gave one of the best in the land all they could handle before Purdue was able to come away with the win.

Reactions: rondi
down the stretch it was just Corey and some Baker...you had to ride them and couldnt go to anyone else...Purdue..as bad as Drago was for much of the game...because Purdue was so deadly from outside, they were able to put him back in and it became tougher to defend them at that point. Purdue earned this thats for sure, they had to make shots and then close it on defense
Lurch didn't do much damage offensively but I thought he basically shut down our inside game.

Reactions: shields
Yes. If Williams hit two shots there it would’ve been a one point deficit with a minute left. And don’t forget, if that foul had been called on Williams, Corey’s would’ve been two shots instead of one and one. The no call in that situation was huge.
Just a terrible non call on Williams' put back attempt, and later a terrible charge call on Corey, Edwards never had his feet set. Also thought the over the back call on Omuryui after Sanders missed the FT was bad, Eugene has like 6" on little Edwards.

Lurch didn't do much damage offensively but I thought he basically shut down our inside game.

yeah Eugene only had 4 tonight...that was a big takeway, Sa 0, Doorson 1, Doucoure 3...I think not being able to get Eugene shots and in the game was a factor, last night he worked hard but tonight size and quickness when Lurch wasnt it was too much

F those midwestern bitches

Easy big fella. When the games are in Indy it's an IU crowd. The only time Purdue plays in state at home is in Lafayette. In Indiana it's IU basketball and ND football...and everyone loves to cuddle with Butler.

Just a terrible non call on Williams' put back attempt, and later a terrible charge call on Corey, Edwards never had his feet set. Also thought the over the back call on Omuryui after Sanders missed the FT was bad, Eugene has like 6" on little Edwards.
The charge was not a terrible call, even though I don’t think it should’ve been made. You could argue that Cory lowered his shoulder. But I am still thinking about the no call on the Williams put back. If he gets those free throws with a minute left, then Corey gets two instead of the one and one. Then the over the back call on the rebound never happens. Very big no call.

Easy big fella. When the games are in Indy it's an IU crowd. The only time Purdue plays in state at home is in Lafayette. In Indiana it's IU basketball and ND football...and everyone loves to cuddle with Butler.

I didn’t mean anything against Purdue.

I’m rooting for them to win this tournament and the next one.

I meant screw anyone complaining there is a 1 B1G tournament in our backyard when it will probably never happen again, and we’ll be traveling halfway across the country for the next 4 years.

The tournament should be spread out to different locations.

Reactions: Jack_Ripper
The charge was not a terrible call, even though I don’t think it should’ve been made. You could argue that Cory lowered his shoulder. But I am still thinking about the no call on the Williams put back. If he gets those free throws with a minute left, then Corey gets two instead of the one and one. Then the over the back call on the rebound never happens. Very big no call.

The worst call might have been the tie up call with Corey on his defensive rebound.

That was atrocious.

The Purdue guy wasn’t f*ing close to “possession”.

For Rock or the other posters who *always* LOVE to discredit the role of the refs in the game...

This was a 1 possession game in the last minute.

ONE blown call can EASILY flip the game from 1 team to another.
Just ONE!!!

So kindly stop playing referee defense lawyer.

The miss on Williams was a bad call, but overall I thought the refs called a pretty consistent game. I didn't follow the game thread until the last few pages, so I don't know if people were losing their crap in here - but from watching it, I felt they were letting a lot go, and being fairly consistent about that. There were missed calls, but there always are - and as someone who is quick to say when he feels the refs unduly influenced a game, I don't think they did here. We had our chances, and Purdue just outplayed us.

The worst call might have been the tie up call with Corey on his defensive rebound.

That was atrocious.

The Purdue guy wasn’t f*ing close to “possession”.

For Rock or the other posters who *always* LOVE to discredit the role of the refs in the game...

This was a 1 possession game in the last minute.

ONE blown call can EASILY flip the game from 1 team to another.
Just ONE!!!

So kindly stop playing referee defense lawyer.

that play was early in the 2nd half?, had nothing to do with the outcome

Yeah real time I thought the Williams putback was a no call, I thought he was just a little out of control after the superhuman stretch he used to get the rebound from the trees. But I would like to see that one again. It was chaos and I don't trust my eyes THAT much.

The call on Corey was a flop but one that usually goes against the ball handler, in reality it should be a no call or a block depending on the amount of contact. For a defender who is not set and cuts it off that sharply to get that call, the offensive player has to put forth a pretty egregious push. Refs like calling that against the dribbler though. Eugene benefits from this type of call fairly often.

Speaking of Eugene, I'm with you in that I didn't understand the over the back call on him. Replay didn't show anything either.

that play was early in the 2nd half?, had nothing to do with the outcome

Are you really that stupid (obtuse), Bac?

That’s like saying a dropped TD pass in the 1st quarter has nothing to do with the outcome of a game.

Or a blown called strike 3 with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the 1st inning had nothing to do with the outcome of a game.

Come on, Bac!

I didn’t mean anything against Purdue.

I’m rooting for them to win this tournament and the next one.

I meant screw anyone complaining there is a 1 B1G tournament in our backyard when it will probably never happen again, and we’ll be traveling halfway across the country for the next 4 years.

The tournament should be spread out to different locations.

No offense taken friend. I've only been to New York once and loved it. Wish I could have come out for the tourney. NYC will host the B1GT again, they just need to work out some logistics so the teams aren't playing these crazy schedules.

Reactions: Night Man
except its not the same, there are so many possession in hoops that one play does not matter because the whole strategy changes on each possession...it was so earlier on the game that yes it had no direct effect that you would bother to mention

Reactions: Night Man
except its not the same, there are so many possession in hoops that one play does not matter because the whole strategy changes on each possession...it was so earlier on the game that yes it had no direct effect that you would bother to mention

That gets us in the 1 and 1 sooner.
And shooting 2.
And gets us another possession.
And 1 extra possession can make all the difference in such a tight game.

But I WILL agree with you - the main reason we lost was all of those damn 3s Purdue hit.

Almost impossible for us to overcome that if we can’t match 3 for 3 (which we cannot at this time).

The Corey charge was a bad call. No way Edwards was set and he initiated the contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: RC85
yeah Eugene only had 4 tonight...that was a big takeway, Sa 0, Doorson 1, Doucoure 3...I think not being able to get Eugene shots and in the game was a factor, last night he worked hard but tonight size and quickness when Lurch wasnt it was too much
Going forward that is a problem that Pike has to fix. Need point production from the wing guys to help Baker and whoever plays guard with him. We're not going to be able to shoot lights out in every game and we need some bigs that can maneuver on their own to get to the basket. A few times they attempted to just dribble around and it was a joke. Wouldn't stand a chance in traffic. I'm hoping the guys coming in next year can provide us with an upgrade for that part of the game.

It was nice watching us play the way we did in MSG. We didn't just compete, we played to win. We looked the part of a B1G caliber team and gained a lot of respect. We went shot for shot with the other teams and provided a spark for our fan base.
Pike is moving the process along for sure. Its just hard to understand how all of a sudden we start hitting shots that we couldn't during the season. Sanders was playing at a completely different level, superstar level and Baker must've been feeling better. If we can just play close to this level next year, it will be fun times at RU.

Reactions: bac2therac
dang, gr8 tournament play for RU.

Purdue knocked down a ton of 3s. tough to defend 3ft beyond 3pt line
Multiple 3 point shooters on the court at the same time along with seven foot rotating centers makes Purdue a very difficult team to defend.They are almost guaranteed to score over 70 points per game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT