ADVERTISEMENT

QB selection

APKnight

Senior
Nov 21, 2013
Call me old school, but I just hope the QB that wins the competition is the one who can most accurately throw the ball.

I hope whoever wins the comp - assuming there is a 'winner' - gives us the best chance to win each week .

Plus, need to execute the read option and have some legs. QB selection is a multi-faceted process. In no particular order:
1. Run the offense
2. Run
3. Execute the read option
4. Leadership
5. Others

Reactions: lisamarie256
I don't see how Coach Ash can start Laviano. If Laviano falters, this fanbase and the NYC media will eviscerate Coach Ash. His career would be over. It's simply too big a risk for Coach Ash.

Start Rettig. If Rettig falters, and the season is lost, then you play Gio.

Best move for Laviano is to transfer after Spring Ball. It's really the best thing for both parties.

I don't see how Coach Ash can start Laviano. If Laviano falters, this fanbase and the NYC media will eviscerate Coach Ash. His career would be over. It's simply too big a risk for Coach Ash.

Best move for Laviano is to transfer after Spring Ball. It's really the best thing for both parties.

Nah, I disagree. I was VERY critical of Laviano last year, but not because he couldn't do the job; he performed well at times (not so much at some others.) If Laviano comes out of camp as the starting QB, I think the fanbase will be a lot more convinced that the competition was fair, and if the starter starts to falter, they will not be afraid to make a change.
During the summer, according to the HC, Laviano and Rettig were tied. Laviano broke team rules and got himself suspended for the first half, and Rettig played well. Yes, it was Norfolk State, but he certainly didn't prove he couldn't do the job. His reward? A seat on the bench for the entire year (practically), and he was "neck and neck" coming out of summer camp. It just stunk of the Coach making a decision and sticking with it no matter what. And, I'm still mystified that Rettig never got the opportunity to throw a pass to our best receiver; of course it was a legitimate competition.

Believe THAT, and I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona.

LedZeppelin.jpg

Nah, I disagree. I was VERY critical of Laviano last year, but not because he couldn't do the job; he performed well at times (not so much at some others.) If Laviano comes out of camp as the starting QB, I think the fanbase will be a lot more convinced that the competition was fair, and if the starter starts to falter, they will not be afraid to make a change.
During the summer, according to the HC, Laviano and Rettig were tied. Laviano broke team rules and got himself suspended for the first half, and Rettig played well. Yes, it was Norfolk State, but he certainly didn't prove he couldn't do the job. His reward? A seat on the bench for the entire year (practically), and he was "neck and neck" coming out of summer camp. It just stunk of the Coach making a decision and sticking with it no matter what. And, I'm still mystified that Rettig never got the opportunity to throw a pass to our best receiver; of course it was a legitimate competition.

Risk Management is a huge part of a speculative industry like Coaching.

Laviano is simply too big of a risk both on the field and off the field.

Many of us said the same thing with Nova and Dodd and were crucified.

It was weird, Schiano would change a QB with the change of the wind, and Flood stuck to his guns to a fault (many would argue.)

Hopefully, we have a blend of the two; name THE guy, but if things aren't working don't be afraid to mix it up. The spread should make that decision easier anyway.

Dodd was 5'9. While Dodd had excellent mechanics, there's no way he stands up to a full season of getting pounded. Dodd threw a great deep ball, but he was just too small for the job. And the politics of sitting a QB from Don Bosco would have ended Flood's tenure before it even began.

Dodd was 5'9. While Dodd had excellent mechanics, there's no way he stands up to a full season of getting pounded. Dodd threw a great deep ball, but he was just too small for the job. And the politics of sitting a QB from Don Bosco would have ended Flood's tenure before it even began.
Got to hand it to you. Your last three posts were off the charts bad. With some of the most simplistic assumptions yet.

Picking a QB based on what the fanbase and NY media thinks? Yup, that's what I want in a head coach.

You start the QB that gives you the best chance to win. All the other nonsense doesn't matter.

No only u and other trolls like you will even attempt to eviscerate anything RUTGERS

What you do not know about College football could be a book. Or do you just weave in bullshit statements to denigrate Rutgers football
I was usurped by this post...
Got to hand it to you. Your last three posts were off the charts bad. With some of the most simplistic assumptions yet.
But vkj was kind, simplistic should be replaced with asinine, you do know this troll writing does make you stand out; is that your endeavor to be noticed even if it is for being an a$$ hole

Picking a QB based on what the fanbase and NY media thinks? Yup, that's what I want in a head coach.

You start the QB that gives you the best chance to win. All the other nonsense doesn't matter.

Not true. It's not simply about talent. Context matters. You ignore this stuff at your own peril. But I can assure you that a faltering Laviano would be taken totally different than a faltering Rettig.

Reactions: Bagarocks
No only u and other trolls like you will even attempt to eviscerate anything RUTGERS

What you do not know about College football could be a book. Or do you just weave in bullshit statements to denigrate Rutgers football
I was usurped by this post...

Clearly you're struggling to construct a cogent response to my posts. So you're reduced to Name Calling. So now I'm a troll. And it's up to you to make that determination.

Let's be Frank, you're related to Laviano. Makes perfect sense. You and VK.

Last edited:
Clearly you're struggling to construct a cogent response to my posts. So you're reduced to Name Calling. So now I'm a troll. And it's up to you to make that determination.

Your only reply to the truth is " are you related to Laviano" comment when caught openly trolling.
No I am related to truth and honest views, not some agenda drive poppycock, by a poster who never has a positive view of Rutgers
If I am mistake in your not being a troll go seek another place to be bitter, mean, negative and misinformed, as you come across as a troll or one real mean, dumb a$$ person I tend to believe you are both

Not true. It's not simply about talent. Context matters. You ignore this stuff at your own peril. But I can assure you that a faltering Laviano would be taken totally different than a faltering Rettig.

And I can assure you any "honeymoon" would be short lived. Laviano is being treated no different than QB's like Teel and Nova were. It may be a bit nastier than in the past but that's more a social issue in today's world.

Context over talent? Thank god you aren't coaching any team I root for.

Your only reply to the truth is " are you related to Laviano" comment when caught openly trolling.
No I am related to truth and honest views, not some agenda drive poppycock, by a poster who never has a positive view of Rutgers
If I am mistake in your not being a troll go seek another place to be bitter, mean, negative and misinformed, as you come across as a troll or one real mean, dumb a$$ person I tend to believe you are both

Your Truth is not Fact. Your response is little more than drivel. It's name calling, frothing at the mouth bitterness.

And I can assure you any "honeymoon" would be short lived. Laviano is being treated no different than QB's like Teel and Nova were. It may be a bit nastier than in the past but that's more a social issue in today's world.

Context over talent? Thank god you aren't coaching any team I root for.

Ah, the Myth of the Meritocracy. In a fair world, perhaps, but not in this one. This game is all about Risk Management.

If Laviano were to falter, it would be taken differently than if Rettig falters.

Ah, the Myth of the Meritocracy. In a fair world, perhaps, but not in this one. This game is all about Risk Management.

If Laviano were to falter, it would be taken differently than if Rettig falters.

And any coach that worries about that is in the wrong profession.

BTW, I do agree with those who believe you're just trolling but it's fun arguing none the less.

Call me old school, but I just hope the QB that wins the competition is the one who can most accurately throw the ball.
I would think, and these are just opinions from reading articles by guys who are not coaches by a long shot and what we have seen in limited opps for Rettig:

Based on accuracy it would go Rettig, Laviano, Gio.

Based on read option it would go Gio, Laviano/Rettig

Based on intangibles it would go Laviano, Rettig, Gio

That should clear things up for everyone.

Who's this Frank person you want to be? Do you want to be him because he's even more Machiavellian in his thinking than you?

On any given Saturday, you play the players that you feel can best help the team win. I'd love to see Ash's reaction to your theories as to how he should choose the QB.

Somebody has an axe to grind.

These are all fun exercises but we have no idea what the coaches actually want from a QB. Yes, we know what their dream QB looks like but push come to shove when everyone lacks "something" which something do they desire the most?

I can't see a scenario where only one QB is used by this staff. All this speculation about the starter and waiting to see if he falters is nonsense. This staff will play the QB that runs the offense the best and if they think they need to mix it up they will. I fully believe we will see multiple QB's, especially early in the year.

I don't care who starts, just please pull them if they can't move the team downfield/throw three-five picks.
I care who they start, especially if he goes 5 games without
a touch down. Then gives me the finger again.

Listen, I didn't like how Flood handled the QB situation last year, but these comments are absurd (not surprising, however...).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT