ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Cali: re season start time

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Cali do you agree with the season starting so early basically in the dead of winter especially for these northern schools? I think it takes away from the game and of course definitely takes away from the number of fans who attend. Your thoughts
Thanks; and looking forward to a great and exciting season

Reactions: Leonard23
Cali do you agree with the season starting so early basically in the dead of winter especially for these northern schools? I think it takes away from the game and of course definitely takes away from the number of fans who attend. Your thoughts
Thanks; and looking forward to a great and exciting season

Not Cali, but this the choice I think they made. If you want conference tournaments and few, if any, midweek games you have to start this early. I'm saying that in the belief extending season past Memorial Day Weekend (particularly having the whole tourney In June) would decimate attendence

Reactions: Jimpeg
The other solution would be more mid week games which would change the nature of their schedule as you can get to Lehigh on a Tuesday but Stony room or Loyola is tougher and certainly not UMass. They had traditionally played Princeton on a Tuesday. If the played more midweek games that would be able to start later. They also lose a week with the Big Ten tournament.
In reality they are only starting practice about a week earlier than in the past, they usually started a day or two after MLK day.

We didn't really play Princeton on Tuesday. That was always a Sunday game until the lost years under the last coach. We never played them on a Tuesday while we were there and I don't believe ever before that. After Brecht came and we got our act together however many years later, both schools agreed, the nature of that game makes it a weekend game.

As to the OP's question, my answer is hell yea it makes a difference. There was a scheduling question asked earlier and people need to understand how hard it is to schedule games. You know who will never come play Rutgers in Feb? Duke. Unc. Uva. They say come down and play us in warmer weather but we aren't coming there. Yea, no thanks. The other issue is the B1G like I believe every sport save a few games or sports here and there, only wants conference games played once conference play starts. It's two very distinct seasons. I have no problem with it though because the conference is so good it makes it all very exciting.

The easiest thing to do would be to push this all back. The FF is always played on Memorial Day weekend but why? Push the season into June. Baseball goes deep into the month, maybe even more. Midweek games can be played once or twice a year but these kids need recovery time. I'm not sure the average person realizes how physical the game is.

My solution would be to push it all back. Instead of cramming between now and early Feb., let's start in March and go into summer.

We didn't really play Princeton on Tuesday. That was always a Sunday game until the lost years under the last coach. We never played them on a Tuesday while we were there and I don't believe ever before that. After Brecht came and we got our act together however many years later, both schools agreed, the nature of that game makes it a weekend game.

As to the OP's question, my answer is hell yea it makes a difference. There was a scheduling question asked earlier and people need to understand how hard it is to schedule games. You know who will never come play Rutgers in Feb? Duke. Unc. Uva. They say come down and play us in warmer weather but we aren't coming there. Yea, no thanks. The other issue is the B1G like I believe every sport save a few games or sports here and there, only wants conference games played once conference play starts. It's two very distinct seasons. I have no problem with it though because the conference is so good it makes it all very exciting.

The easiest thing to do would be to push this all back. The FF is always played on Memorial Day weekend but why? Push the season into June. Baseball goes deep into the month, maybe even more. Midweek games can be played once or twice a year but these kids need recovery time. I'm not sure the average person realizes how physical the game is.

My solution would be to push it all back. Instead of cramming between now and early Feb., let's start in March and go into summer.
I like that my daughter played D2 and it’s no fun for both the players and the parents watching the games

I'll disagree because of the tourney. 1st round games on semi-empty campuses. Quarters, unless in one of the hotbeds, will suffer. Final Four competing with vacations. To an extreme if there is any proximity to the 4th.

Be interesting to compare TV ratings of baseball final few games and Memorial Day. Site attendance too

Reactions: Jimpeg
Would attendance decrease in June? Maybe. But I'm not sure that's a foregone conclusion either. I tell you what I do know..... No casual fan will watch a lacrosse game in February unless there is a family/friend connection. March is no fun either but February is a whole different animal. And freaking forget the tailgating comparison between June and February.

Once you get to the quarters, games are at neutral sites so pushing things out a few weeks shouldn’t impact attendance for those games. Early round games played on campus might see a drop in attendance but probably a worthwhile trade off.

Reactions: rags

I feel like we had more mid-week games, and the idea of mid-week games would probably necessitate playing games in closer proximity. Either way with a hard end date the only way for them to move is earlier so unless and until they move out of MDW this will be the way it is. My issue is that a lot of teams do not even get to play in May which is the best weather for lacrosse, if you only play in the first round of the Big Ten tourney your season ends on April 27th.

Now the other consideration, which most people including the NCAA will not care about is the fact that the middle of June is generally, the second week of summer tournament season and recruiting. I know that it would only affect 8 teams and would be offset by the school's
appearance in the playoffs, but I have heard that schools have raised this as an issue as well. I liked it when games started in March, February in the bleachers in the Northeast is pretty rough.

Would attendance decrease in June? Maybe. But I'm not sure that's a foregone conclusion either. I tell you what I do know..... No casual fan will watch a lacrosse game in February unless there is a family/friend connection. March is no fun either but February is a whole different animal. And freaking forget the tailgating comparison between June and February.
Yea it’s a bummer because we draw really well when it’s warmer. It’s a big advantage for us.

I feel like we had more mid-week games, and the idea of mid-week games would probably necessitate playing games in closer proximity. Either way with a hard end date the only way for them to move is earlier so unless and until they move out of MDW this will be the way it is. My issue is that a lot of teams do not even get to play in May which is the best weather for lacrosse, if you only play in the first round of the Big Ten tourney your season ends on April 27th.

Now the other consideration, which most people including the NCAA will not care about is the fact that the middle of June is generally, the second week of summer tournament season and recruiting. I know that it would only affect 8 teams and would be offset by the school's
appearance in the playoffs, but I have heard that schools have raised this as an issue as well. I liked it when games started in March, February in the bleachers in the Northeast is pretty rough.
Incorporate travel tournaments into the neutral site locations and final 4 weekend-

Quarters- travel tourney sat - ncaa games Sunday - puts many folks in town likely to watch and teams can send scouts to see prospects and ff opponents in one shot

Ff- semis Friday, travel tourney sat, finals sun .. again it puts likely attendees in town

Memorial Day weekend should be conference finals weekend

The early start to the season also gives the ACC teams a little bit of a recruiting advantage.

Playing lacrosse in North Carolina in February and March is more appealing than NJ for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT