ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Coach Bill Foster.

I was too young to remember him at RU, but I do remember him when he coached Duke to the NCAA championship game in 1978. Wenzel was his assistant on that '78 Duke team.

R.I.P.

I graduated in 1963 so I do remember him. Very good coach and he coached one of my dear friends who graduated from RU in 1966. Played with Valvano and Lloyd. They had very good teams then in the Barn.

Does anyone here go back that far?
Great coach, very poor recruiting situation at Rutgers, had much more success at Duke. All we had at the time for a practice and game venue was the College Avenue Gym. People who wanted to get in to see games literally lined (2 or 3 across) up halfway around the building waiting to get in - students only had to flash their RU ID cards to get in. Hope he had a good retirement and I offer condolences to his family.

I was too young to remember him at RU, but I do remember him when he coached Duke to the NCAA championship game in 1978. Wenzel was his assistant on that '78 Duke team.

R.I.P.
Coach Foster was the HC when I first started following the team in '69.

There is a very good book about that 1978 Duke team called "Forever's Team" by John Feinstein. Bill Foster was the HC, Bob Wenzel was an assistant and Lou Goetz was another assistant that played for Foster at Rutgers. There is a chapter for each player and coach. What was fascinating about that team was almost every player and coach had a brush with death at a young age.

Coach Foster did put Rutgers basketball on the map. Hopefully, Rutgers can get back on the map soon.

RIP Coach Foster.

RIP Coach Foster. Please do us all a favor and speak to the big guy up there about blessing Rutgers Basketball. We need divine intervention.

Coach Foster was the HC when I first started following the team in '69.

There is a very good book about that 1978 Duke team called "Forever's Team" by John Feinstein. Bill Foster was the HC, Bob Wenzel was an assistant and Lou Goetz was another assistant that played for Foster at Rutgers. There is a chapter for each player and coach. What was fascinating about that team was almost every player and coach had a brush with death at a young age.

Coach Foster did put Rutgers basketball on the map. Hopefully, Rutgers can get back on the map soon.

RIP Coach Foster.

Great post Sideline20. Will never forget the 68-69 season when Bob Greacen led RU to a 21-4 season under Coach Bill Foster at the Barn.

Was at an RU game at the RAC against Bill Foster coached Northwestern (1987 maybe?) He was honored at the game. Class act.

Bill Foster turned RU basketball around and got us into the NIT when the NIT meant something. We could do worse than finding another Bill Foster out there.

He was coach when I was a student. The '66-'67 season was the first tournament team ever (NIT). We used to chant "NIT! NIT! NIT!" the entire game at the barn towards the end of the season. We made the semis at the old garden. He was the best coach ever at RU. May he rest in peace.

Probably the last RU coach to be hired away to a greater opportunity. RIP. God Bless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT