ADVERTISEMENT

RAC Exterior Makeover

This would be fine and more than enough IMO for all the reasons listed above.

But in the meantime are you telling me we can’t at least powerwash this....

8471.jpg

I understand the concept of throwing an ad or logo on a roof. That’s not the point.

You’re saying because we don’t have this our AD has “No vision” and “no creativeness”. You’re saying that about a guy that has raised almost 100M, is building a state of the art practice facility for basketball and wrestling, the Rodkin center, football practice fields, etc.

We are seeing an unprecedented transformation and you’re not happy because an advertisement isn’t on the RAC roofs for when planes fly by at 20k feet??
I’m disappointed we can’t see our logo on the building from the space station.

RAC bashers are a funny lot. It’s a great arena. As good sightlines and closeness as anywhere is in the country.

The clamoring for a new generic arena always amuses me. New MetLife, new Yankee Stadium, unmitigated disasters. Trenton arena? ZZZZZ

RAC bashers are a funny lot. It’s a great arena. As good sightlines and closeness as anywhere is in the country.

The clamoring for a new generic arena always amuses me. New MetLife, new Yankee Stadium, unmitigated disasters. Trenton arena? ZZZZZ
That would be more than fine for the initial and temporary home of Rutgers Hockey. ;)

Wonder why they didn't do "Home of the Scarlet Knights" in scarlet or "Scarlet Knights" in scarlet.
Something we discussed way back when on the Issues and Basketball Boards when we did some photoshop work on the RAC.

Mine was to make the top red (using the vent as the dividing/boarderline) with the “HOME OF...” in white but also a little thicker in the Block R font. I’d also outline it in black.

A small stripe of white in the middle-ish part with the bottom being black

It cost $100 million to build the expansion on the football stadium in 2009. It would cost WAY MORE than $120 million.

You forget that a large bulk of the $100 million cost for the Stadium renovation was the incredible amount of site work that had to be done with “the hill.”

That would not be necessary for a new RAC. It would simply be demo and rebuild.

That said, I’m with G-RUnit on this — we do NOT need a new arena. We just need improvements to the concourses and entryway of the current building, including a new section 118 that seats 1500 people.

You forget that a large bulk of the $100 million cost for the Stadium renovation was the incredible amount of site work that had to be done with “the hill.”

That would not be necessary for a new RAC. It would simply be demo and rebuild.

That said, I’m with G-RUnit on this — we do NOT need a new arena. * We just need improvements to the concourses and entryway of the current building, including a new section 118 that seats 1500 people.
It was also to prep for a possible 2nd deck down the road. Which like all the “new” RAC talk...we don’t (and doubtful ever will) need either.

* Along with some minor cosmetic/landscaping outside and we’re good.

Same guys who want HPSS to be at 80,000 capacity yesterday want a new RAC. Neither is ever going to happen and that’s ok!

P.S. Oh, those same guys can’t stop asking for a Hockey team every 5 minutes either. What a clueless bunch.

I'll always wish for a downtown NB arena . It would re-charge growth and development of the downtown and add excitement when going to games. Imagine a big win against a top ranked Michigan St , Wisconsin or Indiana and everyone spilling into restaurants and bars afterwards to celebrate. It would create a " college town" atmosphere that Rutgers lacks. One can dream.....

Reactions: soundcrib
RACwas powerwashed three years ago.I was there when they did it. The whole outside looked like the top dirty part. For some reason they could not get that off. Sometime in the next ten to fifteen years,we will have a new arena,stadium will be expanded to 65000 ,to 80000,and we will have hockey. We just need to get through this rough transition period the next couple years.I was speaking with someone from RU the otherday. Not someone way up,but someone who works with the higher upsThey are working on doing something to the outside of the RAC soon,but it will not be painted red. Red would turn a pinkish salmon washed out look within a few years. I said maybe go with a silver.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletNut
They don’t have enough parking for campus, J & J, hospitals and county offices. Throw in an arena?

While downtown seems like alotta fun for all the reasons you mentioned, it would be the biggest logistical nightmare ever. Just can’t imagine trying to get to a 7:00 rush hour game in New Brunswick.

Reactions: KevH
RACwas powerwashed three years ago.I was there when they did it. The whole outside looked like the top dirty part. For some reason they could not get that off. Sometime in the next ten to fifteen years,we will have a new arena,stadium will be expanded to 65000 ,to 80000,and we will have hockey. We just need to get through this rough transition period the next couple years.I was speaking with someone from the otherday. Not someone say up,but someone who works with the. They are working on doing something to the outside of the RAC soon,but it will not be painted red. Red would turn a pinkish salmon washed out look within a few years. I said maybe go with a silver.
One of those non-RAC related predictions will happen.

I used to think we had to have an on campus hockey arena before we started a program,but since college hockey is almost always on the weekends,maybe we could get away with playing at Trenton for four of five years. That is,if the Big Ten was OK with that arrangement.

I used to think we had to have an on campus hockey arena before we started a program,but since college hockey is almost always on the weekends,maybe we could get away with playing at Trenton for four of five years. That is,if the Big Ten was OK with that arrangement.
Play hockey in Newark? I hear there is a small hockey rink there.

Yes, but no $2M stipend from the B1G since it’s not on campus.

RACwas powerwashed three years ago.I was there when they did it. The whole outside looked like the top dirty part. For some reason they could not get that off. Sometime in the next ten to fifteen years,we will have a new arena,stadium will be expanded to 65000 ,to 80000,and we will have hockey. We just need to get through this rough transition period the next couple years.I was speaking with someone from RU the otherday. Not someone way up,but someone who works with the higher upsThey are working on doing something to the outside of the RAC soon,but it will not be painted red. Red would turn a pinkish salmon washed out look within a few years. I said maybe go with a silver.
You had me until you "we will have hockey". Just say "NO" to hockey.

They are working on doing something to the outside of the RAC soon,but it will not be painted red. Red would turn a pinkish salmon washed out look within a few years. I said maybe go with a silver.

Isn't salmon one of our alternate uniform colors? If so, why not on the outside of the RAC? :pimp:

I love the business school building. It won an national award for design.

https://www.aisc.org/pressreleases/...-national-building-design-award/#.Wx6qLoopCfA

Kinda neutral on the b-school building. The national award you cited, while great publicity and likely well deserved, is a testament to the successful execution of a unique, complex structural design, but not necessarily in terms of general aesthetics/curb appeal. It certainly stands out and elicits a wow reaction, but that wow is very subjective and is received differently by different people.

Any idea when we'll see the section 118 makeover... would like to see some rendition. I know the initial plan didn't sound so good.

Kinda neutral on the b-school building. The national award you cited, while great publicity and likely well deserved, is a testament to the successful execution of a unique, complex structural design, but not necessarily in terms of general aesthetics/curb appeal. It certainly stands out and elicits a wow reaction, but that wow is very subjective and is received differently by different people.
If we put some horns on it, chop something off and called a steer, would it help you to think it's a nice looking building? [winking][laughing]

only in Texas

Reactions: RUnTeX
I’ll buy that...most architecture is subjective. So in this case some really like it, and some don’t. I just feel that it is very unique and interesting to look at. The one time that I went inside I also found it to be orderly and efficient, yet comfortable.

Reactions: RUnTeX
They don’t have enough parking for campus, J & J, hospitals and county offices. Throw in an arena?

While downtown seems like alotta fun for all the reasons you mentioned, it would be the biggest logistical nightmare ever. Just can’t imagine trying to get to a 7:00 rush hour game in New Brunswick.

I was just in New Brunswick about 45 minutes ago (around 6pm). Talk about gridlock. First, River Road in P'way was backed up from Route 18 to Hoes Lane West, heading into New Brunswick. Then, 18 was a parking lot from the turnpike to the Lynch bridge, which caused spillover traffic onto George St., backing it up from Somerset St. to the exit off route 18, right after the Lynch bridge. This was just after 6pm on a Tuesday in June (a fraction of the normal number of students and campus buses).

You think people complain now? Ha ha! Just build a downtown arena and schedule 7pm or 7:30 games.

Reactions: NickKnight 1

Inside the RAC, from a game perspective, can be as good as it gets in the country. Personally, have never liked how the 118 end has been managed. But that's another conversation.

Isn't most of the criticism about the exterior?

Inside the RAC, from a game perspective, can be as good as it gets in the country. Personally, have never liked how the 118 end has been managed. But that's another conversation.

Yes.

Just a few things outside and we’re good.

I’ll let the Section 118 thing play out and see what happens.

This would be fine and more than enough IMO for all the reasons listed above.

But in the meantime are you telling me we can’t at least powerwash this....

8471.jpg
We can but why? Just keep it as ugly as it is. So someone would get off their butts or wallets and do something.

Ding ding ding...

Short arms and deep pockets...with lots of opinions.

Best fanbase ever!

I personally agreed to contribute a good amount and help lead a fund raising effort to get some Red and Logos on the thing....5 years ago. One of about 4-5 ideas I have submitted to the "team" over the past couple of years....fairly cheap things. All responded to with "great idea"....we'll look into that. Followed by ZILCH.

Generally true, but I think there's also been a fair amount of criticism about the interior entry concourse and sideline concourses with respect to space and amenities. In those respects, it's a glorified high school gym and needs a serious upgrade.

In any "makeover" of the RAC, they should build a new Section 118 to mirror the student section (about 1,500 seats), which they can do by building the section up and back toward the front trapezoid wall of the building (where the coaches "offices" are located on the second floor). In conjunction with that, they could blow out the front of the building and build a new entrance concourse.

This would retain (and enhance) all of the benefits of the raucous RACmosphere, while improving the overall fan experience. Though it would probably cost $10 to $20 million.

Generally true, but I think there's also been a fair amount of criticism about the interior entry concourse and sideline concourses with respect to space and amenities. In those respects, it's a glorified high school gym and needs a serious upgrade.

In any "makeover" of the RAC, they should build a new Section 118 to mirror the student section (about 1,500 seats), which they can do by building the section up and back toward the front trapezoid wall of the building (where the coaches "offices" are located on the second floor). In conjunction with that, they could blow out the front of the building and build a new entrance concourse.

This would retain (and enhance) all of the benefits of the raucous RACmosphere, while improving the overall fan experience. Though it would probably cost $10 to $20 million.
Yep, this is the best option, 100% agree. Only thing is it will cost more than $20 million. It's worth it though IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT