ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation plans are garbage

RutgersBiker

Redshirt
Mar 30, 2024
RU Athletics sent out a survey to alumni/donors about the "new" RAC and clearly didn't listen to what we have to say. (Edit: Yes, I know the survey was about a year ago, the point is they ignored our answers). The emphasis on luxury boxes and club seating will do nothing to make the fan experience better for anyone other than the super rich and those who get tickets once in a while through their companies.

Renovating the outdated RAC was always a mistake. The mystique and history of the RAC is completely overrated by this board and the team hasn't even played well there as of late. Should have torn it down and rebuilt or, ideally, put a new arena downtown. Really not looking forward to this project at all.

Last edited:
I always thought the plot of land next to the train station, RWJ Fitness & Wellness center, and the Middlesex County administration building would've been the perfect location for a downtown arena. Obviously it's too late now with Nokia Bell Labs building at that location.

RU Athletics sent out a survey to alumni/donors about the "new" RAC and clearly didn't listen to what we have to say. (Edit: Yes, I know the survey was about a year ago, the point is they ignored our answers). The emphasis on luxury boxes and club seating will do nothing to make the fan experience better for anyone other than the super rich and those who get tickets once in a while through their companies.

Renovating the outdated RAC was always a mistake. The mystique and history of the RAC is completely overrated by this board and the team hasn't even played well there as of late. Should have torn it down and rebuilt or, ideally, put a new arena downtown. Really not looking forward to this project at all.
Worlds Smallest Violin GIF

The real issue with the RAC renovations is the ongoing delays in making a final rendering with dates for starting construction and anticipated completion. The location isn't changing but what should be included has the fan base concerned.

The real issue with the RAC renovations is the ongoing delays in making a final rendering with dates for starting construction and anticipated completion. The location isn't changing but what should be included has the fan base concerned.

troll post, take a breath. Also, you won't see 'final renderings', just move onto design plans and specifications at that point.

Post #2 after setting up new account this past Saturday. Post # 1 was also a doozy.

You suck at trolling. All the time and energy you put into it, and you're terrible.

Here we go! It’s like when your wife brings up some you did 2years go! Thought we moved on , stop bringing up old sh*t.

The OP may be a troll - but I agree with him. Forcing luxury into the RAC footprint is a total mistake. Upgrade the entrance, bathrooms, hallways and increase capacity to 10,000. You can't do that by cramming in luxury boxes. If that must be done - build new.

The OP may be a troll - but I agree with him. Forcing luxury into the RAC footprint is a total mistake. Upgrade the entrance, bathrooms, hallways and increase capacity to 10,000. You can't do that by cramming in luxury boxes. If that must be done - build new.
The question becomes is there a demand for luxury boxes and do they create more revenue than the addition of 2K seats? I have to believe 20 luxury boxes make more money than an additional 2k seats. Rutgers is between a rock and hard place. The average fan wants more access to games, but they don't move the financial needle for Rutgers. That is the priority to fix that problem consider how nj.com and other haters of Rutgers questioned the financial status of the school.

My question is why must there be 5 completely different renderings every couple years and then the final result ends up looking nothing like it. When other major sporting venues are built & rennovated the artist renderings come out and then they build it

Some luxury boxes and entertaining space is a must. If you’ve attended a donor event at the RAC now , it’s down right laughable the accommodations they use for people they are getting or trying to get money from. It is quite literally the corner of the gym under the bleachers with folding tables.

I think the AD knows and has heard the fan base regarding keeping it affordable , slightly edgy, and not overdoing the boxes.

But they have to get more revenue out of the place and make it more functional for entertainment. I think they can and will accomplish that while adding in hopefully more general seats + luxury & entertainment accommodations + the concourse becomes more functional and more appealing.

Better 7 months late than never.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Some luxury boxes and entertaining space is a must. If you’ve attended a donor event at the RAC now , it’s down right laughable the accommodations they use for people they are getting or trying to get money from. It is quite literally the corner of the gym under the bleachers with folding tables.

I think the AD knows and has heard the fan base regarding keeping it affordable , slightly edgy, and not overdoing the boxes.

But they have to get more revenue out of the place and make it more functional for entertainment. I think they can and will accomplish that while adding in hopefully more general seats + luxury & entertainment accommodations + the concourse becomes more functional and more appealing.
It’s college basketball. 118 is a joke.
Defeating the very atmosphere that makes the RAC the RAC with luxury boxes. Build them upstairs if you must but for the love of God leave the RAC alone.

The question becomes is there a demand for luxury boxes and do they create more revenue than the addition of 2K seats? I have to believe 20 luxury boxes make more money than an additional 2k seats. Rutgers is between a rock and hard place. The average fan wants more access to games, but they don't move the financial needle for Rutgers. That is the priority to fix that problem consider how nj.com and other haters of Rutgers questioned the financial status of the school.
Sorry but a B1G program at a public school with over 30 thousand students on campus needs an arena with more than 7000 seats. I stick by my original post - if you can't get to 10k because of a few luxury boxes the university is making a huge mistake.

Sorry but a B1G program at a public school with over 30 thousand students on campus needs an arena with more than 7000 seats. I stick by my original post - if you can't get to 10k because of a few luxury boxes the university is making a huge mistake.
Well, cut the check to build a new arena and we don't have to have this debate.

The RAC holds 8000 seats.Any renovation that doesn't add at least 2000 seats is a bad investment.Additional revenue will occur from seating ,parking and concession purchases .The Pernetti rendering should be the stating point for moving forward because it doesn't impact current seating. It instead builds outward to provide additional space for rest rooms,wider concourse ,additional seating ,additional concession stands and a nicer looking entrance facade..An area for expensive seating could be added to the final renovation plan.

Access to public transportation and great restaurants are walkable.
But the majority of fan don't use public transportation to get to and from Rutgers basketball games. Unless that was to change, it would be a hard sell. The lack of minimum parking available makes it a non-starter. Not sure the Sears location would meet the minimum requirements for building space, parking, public access.

The RAC holds 8000 seats.Any renovation that doesn't add at least 2000 seats is a bad investment.Additional revenue will occur from seating ,parking and concession purchases .The Pernetti rendering should be the stating point for moving forward because it doesn't impact current seating. It instead builds outward to provide additional space for rest rooms,wider concourse ,additional seating ,additional concession stands and a nicer looking entrance facade..An area for expensive seating could be added to the final renovation plan.
No one knows what to expect since little info have been made public. If Rutgers follows most other sports teams, pro and college, then seats for the average fan is last on the list for accommodations. Simply, they add the lowest financial benefit to a school's bottom line. It's a shame, but maximum earning potential is most important to the health of the athletic department. An ideal compromise would be at least 1000 seats, more restrooms, concession stands the ability to walk around the entire arena, and quality luxury boxes that are spoken for with BIG dollars. Also, not changing the acoustics of the arena.

• Haha
Reactions: RutgersBiker
Stop the crap - If RU can't fund a new arena after 40 years and after getting in the B1G the blame is on the administration - not the fans. I am tired of the constant blaming the fans for every program shortfall.

There are so many amazing elements that a new arena in downtown New Brunswick on the edge of the college Ave campus could have.

I’m sure the DevCo crew has done feasibility studies over the years .

Stop the crap - If RU can't fund a new arena after 40 years and after getting in the B1G the blame is on the administration - not the fans. I am tired of the constant blaming the fans for every program shortfall.
I never blamed the fans. Not sure where you got that idea. You know as well as everyone else that politics play the biggest role in large publicly connected projects seeing the day of light. Anything connected to any level of government is bounded to face BS decisions. The city wants to be heard as well as the county and the state. You probably don't recall the hoops Rutgers had to jump through to have the football stadium rebuilt. Former AD Mulcahy, who at the time was the head of the Meadowland Sports Expo, stepped in to get the project done. Even then Rutgers was hit with so many restrictions, Rutgers could do much with the stadium other than use it 6 to 7 times a year for football only. Unless the arena is 100% funded by private donations, it was a long shot.

It turns out they just ignored YOUR answers which is a good thing to do because you are a complete wack-job!

Baylor went smaller too. Sign of the times.

I think 7,500 to 8,000 is the sweet spot.

Put in a bar, bathrooms, good food in vestibule area and it will be awesome.

Last edited:
I said “would use”, I know reading is hard for some, but you have to try harder.
I have a friend who works for NJ Transit and he said NJ is one of the best states in the US that makes great use of public transportation. Still, if people are given the option to use their cars or public transportation, they would choose the car 9 times out of 10. People want to come and go on their time, especially when it comes leisure things. That is what RutgersBiker fail to recognize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT