ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a few venues with one larger anchor venue for the league games.

Reactions: bac2therac
I say we take the opportunity to build a more statewide fan base and play home games at several locations. 1) Prudential Newark 2) Cure in Trenton 3) The old convention center in AC 4) one or two BIG game at MSG. Etc
Just beat me to it!

Reactions: WPUknight
I say we take the opportunity to build a more statewide fan base and play home games at several locations. 1) Prudential Newark 2) Cure in Trenton 3) The old convention center in AC 4) one or two BIG game at MSG. Etc
I'm not saying something like this won't happen - but that's terrible from a player perspective

Reactions: tico brown
Maybe in the minority but 118 was a symbol of what has held RU back for years and I’m glad they are getting more dollars than they were before. Great move, enjoyed the vibe in the new area.
You’re one of the twelve in a half empty section most games. Sorry don’t mess with the footprint of one of the best home court advantage s in the country.. Penny wise and pound ffoollish. Don’t do it at Duke, Palestra, Phog, the great basketball pits. It’s what makes the college game better than the pros. Tearing. Down 118 and displacing most loyal fans in RAC was everything wrong with college athletic s. Petrified RU will screw it up.

I hope not. I won't be going then. Trenton has to be most inconvenient location of all mentioned here.
Devils, SHU and concerts? Can’t imagine many available dates. Ratger Jadwin than Trenton or fix up The Barn!

Jadwin would be so much easier than getting into Newark.

I hate the place, but what about Trenton?
Jadwin has a capacity of maybe 6800

I would guess Trenton is less than the RAC
Not sure

If most season ticket holders renew for either venue it puts a strain on available seating for the occasional fan and students.
Assuming they keep the ticket holders as the priority.

or maybe they allow those Ticket holders skip a year without losing consecutive year points

Minor concerns but these issues may crop up

The RAC has improved a lot over the past 10 years...scoreboard, sound system, etc. Can't we do things in the offseason? I don't know why you need to sacrifice a season unless you are making major changes. Maybe i am thinking small time.....is their really a huge demand for premium seating and club like amenities?

Add a recession that will soon be here....

You are going to get that already with a renovated RAC. The deck will probably be reshuffled and those that really don't pay up will lose their great seats......not that it wouldn't have eventually happened without a renovation,.
There is no reason to move the season ticket holders after this is done

They are already paying a premium for where they are

You don’t piss off your best customers
You give them the opportunity to pay and remain

Horrible idea. Who splits games amongst a few different locations around their state? All games on campus. this thread. It was all based on the premise that the RAC would not be available for a year. So are you saying g play B1G games at the college ave gym - or maybe you are recommending the Livingston gym???
Horrible idea. Who splits games amongst a few different locations around their state? All games on campus.
Can you read. This thread was all based on the premise that the RAC would not be available for a year. So are you saying play B1G games at the college ave gym - or maybe you are recommending the Livingston gym???

Everyone complains that Rutgers athletics has no money. Literally can't spare a nickel for any new expenses (see every NIL thread).
But then don't want to modernize arenas to generate additional revenue for the program.
I think more revenue can be generated by just raising ticket prices. I think (don't know) you can actually generate more revenue with the current configuration than adding 2,000 seats and having club seating.

This would be very disappointing to have a season with no RAC, and I agree the chances of screwing things up would seem to outweigh the possible benefit of upgrades/changes. I'd rather see continued incremental changes. As soon as the home season ends one year, get to work two days later, and do what you can. Maybe the preseason of the following year would be more road/neutral than usual, or "home" games in other New Jersey venues, but get the team back in the RAC ASAP.

Whole idea / reality of playing away from the RAC for 1 full year sucks!
Given the political ties / attendance capacities / and Hobbs affiliation with Seton Hall - I’m sure it’ll be Newark but I really hope it’s Trenton or even Meadowlands. Cozy arena in Trenton and much easier to park and get out of the Trenton arena or Meadowlands than the Newark disaster. Newark sucks and getting there / parking etc is an absolute nightmare.

What year would this be?

Crazy idea - but what if we went full barnstorming and went all away games?

Work out an agreement with the BIG for increased revenue for that particular year.
Really load up the coffers.
Maybe it can be planned for Griffiths 2nd year?
I’m sure this will have a real positive impact on recruiting; making the ncaa tournament; the fan base and the welfare of the student athletes. 🤮

Last edited:
Given the political ties / attendance capacities / and Hobbs affiliation with Seton Hall - I’m sure it’ll be Newark but I really hope it’s Trenton or even Meadowlands. Cozy arena in Trenton and much easier to park and get out of the Trenton arena or Meadowlands than the Newark disaster. Newark sucks and getting there / parking etc is an absolute nightmare.
How about we play in Monmouth? Tell King Rice and the bench mob they should schedule around us.

Reactions: Jersey07712
Meadowlands is a tv/movie set now. And Trenton? C'mon. May as well play in Philly at that point. Newark is the easiest via mass transit for more fans than not. Probably easier for students too.

How about we play in Monmouth? Tell King Rice and the bench mob they should schedule around us.
Lol. If we play on the road or play home games that are unattainable , I strongly recommend Monmouth home arena to watch a game. Free parking / very new arena / cheap good food. Team unfortunately will not be good this year. Lost a lot of talent via graduation and no incoming talent to replace them. King may not king for this year. 😂

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Now that RU72 has broken the news, here's what I heard from reliable sources back in February...

*It's 95 percent certain the games will be played in Newark during the season in which construction takes place. RU had also zeroed in on Trenton, but after a few meetings it was determined that Trenton was not a good place to play because it's in the Philly market. TV and radio want the games played in the NY market.

*Don't expect much in regards to added seating

*Bathrooms could remain limited. According to one person I spoke with, paraphrasing..."you wouldn't think it, but adding bathrooms is tricky. There are so many rules and regulations, it would make your head spin."

*Corridors will be expanded

*...and this is the change I found most interesting: the RAC's main entrance will be moved to the side that faces the green lot.

Meadowlands is a tv/movie set now. And Trenton? C'mon. May as well play in Philly at that point. Newark is the easiest via mass transit for more fans than not. Probably easier for students too.
I hope the fanbase that takes mass transit enjoys the beautiful aroma of Newark Penn Station or parking at $30 minimally as well as commuting to that hellhole during rush hour. I also cannot see many students attending games in Newark unless it’s a big game
If we have to relocate for a year, I’m sure it ll be Newark but it will piss the hell out of me

I hope the fanbase that takes mass transit enjoys the beautiful aroma of Newark Penn Station or parking at $30 minimally as well as commuting to that hellhole during rush hour. I also cannot see many students attending games in Newark unless it’s a big game
If we have to relocate for a year, I’m sure it ll be Newark but it will piss the hell out of me
More suburban anti-Newark rhetoric, got it. Here's the deal: no one would be happy about being out of the RAC for a year, but if you're telling me Trenton and Jadwin are better options than the Pru Center, you're insane. If you want to be pissed and not make the best out of the situation, be my guest.

Now that RU72 has broken the news, here's what I heard from reliable sources back in February...

*It's 95 percent certain the games will be played in Newark during the season in which construction takes place. RU had also zeroed in on Trenton, but after a few meetings it was determined that Trenton was not a good place to play because it's in the Philly market. TV and radio want the games played in the NY market.

*Bathrooms could remain limited. According to one person I spoke with, paraphrasing..."you wouldn't think it, but adding bathrooms is tricky. There are so many rules and regulations, it would make your head spin."

*...and this is the change I found most interesting: the RAC's main entrance will be moved to the side that faces the green lot.
This doesn’t sound good.

You are going to get that already with a renovated RAC. The deck will probably be reshuffled and those that really don't pay up will lose their great seats......not that it wouldn't have eventually happened without a renovation,.
In what way will things be possibly reshuffled, will people who sit 100 level sidelines lose their seats? People who have been there for 20+ years?

When we redid the stadium we had a season at the meadowlands
It was not so bad overall

So will people lose their seats or will it just more so be an update and improvement of other things?

More suburban anti-Newark rhetoric, got it. Here's the deal: no one would be happy about being out of the RAC for a year, but if you're telling me Trenton and Jadwin are better options than the Pru Center, you're insane. If you want to be pissed and not make the best out of the situation, be my guest.

It's crazy. Been to multiple mid-week and weekend games at Pru this year.
I literally went to Pru for Cirque de solie last Friday.
Got there 7pm on a Friday.
Minimal traffic coming from 78 to 21.

The only time I hit significant traffic was picking up my sister after Justin Bieber. I don't think we'll have to worry about a crowd of that magnitude though.

Does $30 to park suck? Yes but it's a one year deal.
No matter where we move games it socks.
Students aren't going to the Meadowlands or Trenton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT