ADVERTISEMENT

Football Raheem Blackshear to Virginia Tech

Love how some people celebrate when someone transfers here but are willing to bash a kid for transferring out. Situation wasn't right for him here....I'm sure all you bashing him have made choices in your best interest...

I for one prefer to just focus on the guys here....wish him luck as long as his interest doesn't conflict with mine.
You’re an adult with class. Others are children who need to grow up. Good luck Raheem.

I don't get why so many here are so negative about him. He did what he thought was best for him

He was team captain. That position is about representing and leading your teammates by example. It confers some responsibility. You can be a selfish dick and still be a team captain, but you can't be a selfish dick and still be a good teammate or team captain.

I don't get why so many here are so negative about him. He did what he thought was best for him. Like the fan base, he could see the team was going nowhere this year so he quit, just as most of the fans did. In doing so, he could preserve an extra year of eligibility. IIRC, he waited quite awhile before putting his name in the transfer portal at a point when RU still hadn't hired anyone.

I'm sorry he's leaving, especially for an ACC school that seems to be in a downward trajectory where he might encounter the same kind of problem that he found here. I thought he was our most exciting RB and could have been a great one for us if we had had a better OL to block for him.
He quit on his teammates. During warm ups. I’ve never seen a more selfish move. As a captain and a guy who is supposed to be a leader. Not a Rutgers guy. Glad he’s gone. You don’t win with those guys.

”You’re never a loser until you quit trying”- Mike Ditka
Blackshear quit on his team. He’s a loser.

Love how some people celebrate when someone transfers here but are willing to bash a kid for transferring out. Situation wasn't right for him here....I'm sure all you bashing him have made choices in your best interest...

I for one prefer to just focus on the guys here....wish him luck as long as his interest doesn't conflict with mine.
Please remind me of the time we got a former team captain who quit on his team pre game to transfer here? And be celebrated to boot.
My interests are to lead your team, compete, put the best players on the field, honor your commitment, earn your free ride, and try to win ..now if he pro rated his scollie funds back to Rutgers for the fall semester May be I'd have some respect.and...
I'd love to focus on kids here so lets not speak of him anymore. Deal.

Word of the day
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: RUScrew85 and GSGS

But his interest DOES conflict with ours. Just as Jonah Jackson's did and Travis Vokolek's will. Every time that the successes of "Raheem Blackshear, the transfer from Rutgers" are celebrated, it may plant seeds in the minds of his former teammates that there is an easier path. Seeds that we do not want planted.

His success is not in our interest, and I for one am not rooting for it.

He is one hard to figure...if I remember correctly- he bailed the day of the game and even if he played, he still could have redshirted the following week. No positive so correct me if wrong

The strange thing is that he was being showcased in a way that would have put him into the NFL. Not sure if maybe NC would have continued the same use but this kid should be declaring for the draft and combine right now. No part of it made sense
You lose them how you get them. He did Michigan State dirty lol

Reactions: Knightmoves
I am doing what's best for me too. I feel that dirting this loser is in my best interests. He can dirt me back if he thinks that is what is best for him. What a lame argument.

Pat yourself on the back for acting like a grownup on a sports message board. Because that really means a lot.

Reactions: RUScrew85
There is one person who can be blamed for the Blackshear debacle.

That person is Chris Ash.

Thankfully we can look ahead to brighter days.

As for Mr. Blackshear, the broken system which limits labor mobility for student athetes also needs to be further put under the light. Sure quitting on the team before a game sucks. Was it a mistake that could have been handled better? Probably. But after something like that, sometimes a fresh start is not a bad thing, and he would have not gotten that here. There may be regrets one day, a la Tommy Savage- but that's life.

Reactions: ATIOH
My one take on this. A lot of kids transfer, thank their old team, coach, school, and announce the are moving in a mature manner. This kid quit on the team and announces “New Home”, no thanks to anyone, zero....this is a me first person, glad he is gone.

I think of this as just more proof of how bad our last coaching staff was. The captains don't feel intense commitment to the team that's on the coaches for not building that feeling or picking the wrong captains.

My one take on this. A lot of kids transfer, thank their old team, coach, school, and announce the are moving in a mature manner. This kid quit on the team and announces “New Home”, no thanks to anyone, zero....this is a me first person, glad he is gone.
Would have to agree. I am sure the coaching staff (new and old) talked about the way it was done. Walking in at the 11 hours and saying AMF, not sure you would want him back.

1. If there was some P5 team captain QB who quit on his team last year but wanted to transfer here now - most would not want him?

2. Nobody but old guys on message boards care about "committment to the team".
Every year you hear "That projected 1st round pick is sitting out of a bowl? Teams won't draft him."

And then the player never actually drops in the draft.

There is one person who can be blamed for the Blackshear debacle.

That person is Chris Ash.

Thankfully we can look ahead to brighter days.

As for Mr. Blackshear, the broken system which limits labor mobility for student athetes also needs to be further put under the light. Sure quitting on the team before a game sucks. Was it a mistake that could have been handled better? Probably. But after something like that, sometimes a fresh start is not a bad thing, and he would have not gotten that here. There may be regrets one day, a la Tommy Savage- but that's life.

lol

giphy.gif

He quit on his teammates. During warm ups. I’ve never seen a more selfish move. As a captain and a guy who is supposed to be a leader. Not a Rutgers guy. Glad he’s gone. You don’t win with those guys.
I really do believe some of his teammates didn’t like the move from a locker room stand point and he could have still played through the season before choosing to move on . He broke the trust that was given to him in the locker room and it was evident for him to move on , hopefully he learned a lesson from all this because that stuff doesn’t fly in the NFL or life in general so good luck to him.

Blacksburgh does have a Jersey Mike's now.

But that is one long boring ride down I 81 to get there...

Beemerball is not there any more....

Story; Mad Dog was at Valley Forge Military Academy and we went there for a visit and Beemer offered him to play DT in their Wide tackle 6 DL. I took all the Staff out for MANY beers at the hotel we were at....Blacksburgh is not a town, just some stuff off the local interstates.
Then I had to deal with the Dir of Admissions and MANY talks I could not get the jerk to relent and get Mad Dog into that place.
UCINN next.

At least we won't see him on the field. One thing is for sure, waiting as he did certainly didn't make a difference once GS was hired.
But, maybe Schiano's attitude towards him was not what he was hoping for.

By the time he actually hits the field in Blacksburg (enjoy that drive down I-81, buddy), Blackshear will have been riding pine for nearly 2 years. Great career move.

I think of this as just more proof of how bad our last coaching staff was. The captains don't feel intense commitment to the team that's on the coaches for not building that feeling or picking the wrong captains.

at this point, if he came back right now, it would have been too much drama. At least Sitkowski jumped back to RU when GS was announced. We got good recruits and maybe some more by next signing period.

At least we won't see him on the field. One thing is for sure, waiting as he did certainly didn't make a difference once GS was hired.
But, maybe Schiano's attitude towards him was not what he was hoping for.

Maybe quitting on your team while captain didn't sit well with Greg.

Didn't show captain traits. Someday he may come interview with you for a job. You can see for yourself whether he learned what it meant to be a captain or whether he was just looking out for himself. You can then decide whether he is someone you want on your team or send him that rejection letter.

In the meantime, we have some solid backs who I think will step up. Pacheco, Young and Adams are all more than capable of making us forget this back.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I have no problem with a graduate transfer or someone RS based on working with the coaching staff. ( and that was the game plan). But just walking up before kick off and saying RS really is not the way to do business.

2. Nobody but old guys on message boards care about "committment to the team".

Commitment to a team, commitment to others and sacrificing for the greater good is a major factor in success throughout life. Just ask any veterans who sacrificed their bodies and their lives for YOU.

I could go on, but it’s probably a waste of time on you, Nicky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT