ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - MSU

Completely agree, and his father is not some uninformed sports dad, he played basketball professionally overseas and I am sure he developing his own view of the situation. I hope Gavin stays, but it would not surprise me if they decide our style of play does not maximize his skill set.
Seems like that would more work in our favor.. as an informed observer he had presumably seen what our teams looked like prior to this year. He's getting the coaching that he should have expected. What he doesn't have is the quality of surrounding cast that he may have expected but that is certainly going to be changing next year. Obviously emotions can get involved in situations like this but if they didn't know Pike was a defense first coach coming in then that would be a huge failure to do their homework.

Seems like that would more work in our favor.. as an informed observer he had presumably seen what our teams looked like prior to this year. He's getting the coaching that he should have expected. What he doesn't have is the quality of surrounding cast that he may have expected but that is certainly going to be changing next year. Obviously emotions can get involved in situations like this but if they didn't know Pike was a defense first coach coming in then that would be a huge failure to do their homework.
His dad played a big role in his decision to come to Rutgers, and if you will recall, the decision was largely us vs UConn. The family is in Connecticut and I am sure lots of people are chirping in his ear that they made a bad decision, that UConn’s off ball screening would help him be a lot more effective offensively, just watch how they set up Karaban and Spencer. And the defense is as good as Rutgers, if not better. I am not saying he will leave, and I hope he doesn’t, but they have some thinking to do whether we are the best situation for Gavin.

His dad played a big role in his decision to come to Rutgers, and if you will recall, the decision was largely us vs UConn. The family is in Connecticut and I am sure lots of people are chirping in his ear that they made a bad decision, that UConn’s off ball screening would help him be a lot more effective offensively, just watch how they set up Karaban and Spencer. And the defense is as good as Rutgers, if not better. I am not saying he will leave, and I hope he doesn’t, but they have some thinking to do whether we are the best situation for Gavin.
Our defense is significantly better than UConn's.

Our defense is significantly better than UConn's.
They play a much tougher schedule against much better teams than we play. If we had to play Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga and Texas the way they have, our defense would not look nearly as good.

They play a much tougher schedule against much better teams than we play. If we had to play Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga and Texas the way they have, our defense would not look nearly as good.
Jesus ****ing christ there are adjusted defensive stats that account for this. Our defense is better. Unfortunately our offense is non-existant so it doesn't particularly matter at the moment.

Jesus ****ing christ there are adjusted defensive stats that account for this. Our defense is better. Unfortunately our offense is non-existant so it doesn't particularly matter at the moment.
Trying to compare stats from one tram that is playing a national schedule against the best teams in the country and one has played a weak schedule and saying ”but our advanced metrics are better” is a bs argument.

Gavin probably gone after this season, IMO. Too bad. I think he will probably play 3-4 years and become a solid draft pick somewhere else.

Trying to compare stats from one tram that is playing a national schedule against the best teams in the country and one has played a weak schedule and saying ”but our advanced metrics are better” is a bs argument.
UConn's schedule is ranked #108 and ours is ranked #50. You don't have the slightest ****ing clue what you're talking about lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Kbee3 and Scangg
UConn's schedule is ranked #108 and ours is ranked #50. You don't have the slightest ****ing clue what you're talking about lol.
Not through the games that have been played so far, their schedule has been vastly tougher than ours. They have played 4 top 25 teams and a couple of other teams that have been in and out of the rankings.

How much time would he have gotten for UConn clanking shot after shot from 3 , not driving , not rebounding and playing no defense. Danny Hurley would be sitting his ass a ton of minutes as well. He has to look in the mirror and try harder, do more than stand in the corner , maybe drive and make a layup , he is 6’8. Maybe if he sees the ball go in from 2 point range , he will break out of this year long 3 point shooting drought. Cut harder , go get some offensive rebounds , anything to earn more minutes on the floor.

Not through the games that have been played so far, their schedule has been vastly tougher than ours. They have played 4 top 25 teams and a couple of other teams that have been in and out of the rankings.
No, you are wrong, those are the numbers for the schedule so far.

Congrats on finding one that agrees with you I guess

Kenpom (what I posted) SOS: Rutgers #50, UConn #108
Torvik: Rutgers #42, UConn #80
NET SOS: Rutgers #28, UConn #44
RPI SOS: Rutgers #40, UConn #62
Massey: Rutgers #37, UConn #20 <= also agrees with you
TeamRankings (what you posted): Rutgers #49, UConn #14
TeamRankings has another one (Basis SOS? https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/sos-basic-by-other): Rutgers #39, UConn #71

Congrats on finding one that agrees with you I guess

Kenpom (what I posted) SOS: Rutgers #50, UConn #108
Torvik: Rutgers #42, UConn #80
NET SOS: Rutgers #28, UConn #44
RPI SOS: Rutgers #40, UConn #62
Massey: Rutgers #37, UConn #20 <= also agrees with you
TeamRankings (what you posted): Rutgers #49, UConn #14
TeamRankings has another one (Basis SOS? https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/sos-basic-by-other): Rutgers #39, UConn #71
UConn has played #5 Kansas, #9 North Carolina, #10 Gonzaga, #15 Texas. And we have played . . . Illinois.

UConn has played #5 Kansas, #9 North Carolina, #10 Gonzaga, #15 Texas. And we have played . . . Illinois.
Lol at using poll rankings from time of game.

Gonzaga is unranked. Texas is unranked. You are left with two games and yes those are better than any team we've played. They also have played five teams ranked >300 currently. They've played 6 Q1 games to our 8. Your narrative is bullshit.

Reactions: Kbee3
UConn definitely played a tougher non-conference schedule. That said, saying UConn played #10 Gonzaga is like saying we played #4 MSU. Neither of those teams are ranked there anymore. Gonzaga is barely hanging on the top 25.

Also, the Big East is overrated this year. And let’s not forget that SHU is currently leading that league and we beat them handily on their home court .

UConn definitely played a tougher non-conference schedule.
Did they? Kenpom disagrees.

They played Northern Arizona (#322), Stonehill (#356), Mississippi Valley State (#362 - dead last!), Manhattan (#343), and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (#348). This is the kind of scheduling that Pike is repeatedly excoriated for on this board. It takes a lot of Kansas and UNC to make up for that.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT