ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting onto class of 2019 now....what do we need most?

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Let's assume we are done for this year, that everyone returns (Yes, I know about Corey and the NBA aspirations, Shaq and his foot issues, and Everyone having Bullock as a transfer out of year...but assume those are gone

Next year

Sr. (3) Sanders, Mensah, and Doorson
Jr. (4) Carter, Thiam, Onamyuri, and Bullock
So (4) Doucoure, Baker, Johnson, Kiss
Fr (2) Mathis and Harper

PG- Sanders (Sr)/Mensah(sr)
SG- Baker (So)/Kiss (So)/Mathis (Fr)
SF-Thiam (Jr)/Bullock (jr)/Harper (Fr)
PF-Carter (Jr)/Onamuyri (jr)
C-Doorson (sr)/Doucoure (So)/Johnson (so)

Know that that's not a perfect depth chart and I expect Baker to get minutes at the 1-2, Kiss at the 2-3, and all of mathis, Harper, and Bullock could get minutes at the 2-3, and everyone except Eugene O could get minutes at the 4 or 5 spot

pretty sure
1.) Point guard....even if Geo Baker looks like he will be the starter for his junior and senior years at the one spot
2.) Power Forward...both guys will be a senior so this is a perfect three year starting spot for someone
3) Small Forward.....think we need to go small forward...as We know nothng about Bullock, Thiam is really a spot and shoot three and both of those guys will be seniors when the frosh that fills this ship arrives and will be competing with harper for a starting spot.

Pretty obvious that why Paul Mulchay and Eric Dixon are major targets for those two ships....

Love how this is all shaking out....we REALLY could have a talented (albeit young and talented) roster come for Coach P's fourth year in 2019-2020....

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Good write up. I believe we have a real shot at Mulcahy. He, from reports is a frequent visitor and is high on our priority list. Dixon i do not know too much about aside from being a coveted PF.

With that being said browsing the depth chart and roster i feel SG(Mulcahy) and PF(Dixon) would be to main areas of need. If a third ship opens up id suggest going with best player available maybe a big man with range if possible.

Probably to early for this, although it is always fun to speculate. We don't know how the new recruits pan out, they could be better or worse than expected. We don't know who transfers out etc, so let's just enjoy this season, which should be better than last IMO, and then plat the recruiting game.

Not sure why so many people insist on writing off Omoruyi. I’d imagine he’ll be a real strong contributor by his junior season.
Because we don't buy a 6'6" PF in the B1G that wants to play with his back to the basket.

Because we don't buy a 6'6" PF in the B1G that wants to play with his back to the basket.
It’s been a common response but for one, Freeman’s basically the same height and is a more than serviceable PF in the Big Ten. Eugene clearly came in a bit raw but he’s a physical guy with defensive potential who showed the ability to get shots off around the rim. Admittedly he struggled with finishing but as others have noted, it sounds like Omoruyi has really improved his game this offseason while also adding some bulk. On top of this he’s got the versatility to play the three if need be and could be a guy Pike plugs into multiple spots based on our matchup. At least give him his sophomore campaign before you write him off.

Not sure why so many people insist on writing off Omoruyi. I’d imagine he’ll be a real strong contributor by his junior season.

Regardless of whether or not Eugene O becomes the next Kevin Freeman (I think that's a solid analogy) ...he and carter will be seniors and doucoure and Johnson will
Be juniors when the class of 2019 recruits arrive so we need one to keep some class balance...

Freeman's 6'7 and listed as 5 pounds lighter is so much more impressive. Doesn't omoruyi have a 7'2 wingspan or something ridiculous? Pretty sure that factors in there.

Reactions: RBNY87 and higgins3

Cmon man!

The coach and everyone has been raving about him. He has put in the time. It's about will, not three inches in wingspan. If he wants the ball more than the other guy, that's it.

He will be valuable going forward. Even if he is not the start, 15-20 minutes a game with what has said to be big improvements. That is HUGE for the program. For your backup to be of near starter quality.

Aundre Hyatt has to be up there with Mulcahy....he's an elite talent and likes the staff.

Absolutely...if you get Hyatt you take him. We would have enough guys with length and frame to play 3 guards (Mathis, Harper, kiss and then Hyatt)

I would "settle" for a trio of Dixon, mulchay and Hyatt. That would be a top ten class

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Aundre Hyatt has to be up there with Mulcahy....he's an elite talent and likes the staff.

Hyatt is an excellent college prospect. Unfortunately he is a long shot for us. Likes RU, but likes others more and he will be a heavy target for many high level programs going forward this spring. The staff doing their best but highly unlikely we obtain him at this point in our development.

Dodger - who do you think we get at this point in time?

Cyrock - much too early to tell. I think this staff is recruiting in the correct pool of talent. There is no upside at this point recruiting guys who are one and done or close to that level. Guys like Doucoure and Mathis have the potential to be very good 4 year players. I like Mulcahy as a quality four year college player and believe we have a good shot here. Going hard after someone like Hyatt is sensible, even if it's a long shot. I do not know anything about Dixon at this point to have an opinion. The 2018 class, as currently constituted, is a nice class. The program is heading in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT