ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Right. Got to put yourself in his position with choices and wanting to go where he'd have the best chance of success.
He wants world and Olympic medals . Penn st and Michigan are doing that currently. Rutgers is right there showing that they will be able to do it as well. If being from NJ is a big deal to him and building his own legacy then he will stay home if not he will be at Michigan or Penn st

Or possibly the best NIL Package...Michigan threw a bunch of Big $ to their last NJ wrestler and I think they will have a wheel barrel ready to offer Mullen
I would imagine both clubs do. They both have top heavyweights and other quality guys to roll with as great training opportunities. Reference the recent comments regarding the NLWC and wealth of talent. If it was only money, doesn't the SKWC have enough money to buy a kid like that?

Probably true.. never got the sense he was coming here
What makes you sense that. His top three schools are Rutgers, Michigan and V Tech. Jimmy speaks with our coaches weekly.
I think jimmy is waiting for a football offer to come in. For him not to commit yet he has to be thinking football.

Reactions: TRU2RU
What makes you sense that. His top three schools are Rutgers, Michigan and V Tech. Jimmy speaks with our coaches weekly.
I think jimmy is waiting for a football offer to come in. For him not to commit yet he has to be thinking football.
A lot of people that have no connection to the athlete or the program are just purely guessing. Everyone with proven connections have said there’s a decent shot. Then there’s pessimists who think they know what an 18 year old they’ve never met is thinking and they start making baseless claims.

He might come here. He might not. Wouldn’t pay much attention to a lot of the predictions around here. We all know which posters have good intel.

A lot of people that have no connection to the athlete or the program are just purely guessing.
Well, yeah, they are opinions that this forum is full of on a regular basis. How quiet would it be here without projections or opinions, including yours just expressed? Or might it be that all must be in agreement with yours?
Everyone with proven connections have said there’s a decent shot.
Proven? Hearsay is similar to an opinion, no?
Then there’s pessimists who think they know what an 18 year old they’ve never met is thinking and they start making baseless claims.
Pessimists? Here? I certainly don't know what an 18-year-old is thinking (aside from sex (I remember being 18)) but I do have a reasonable grasp on logic coupled with observations and apply those to most of what I predict. Most of what I've predicted has been accurate; maybe that's what bothers you most.
He might come here. He might not.
What does that mean that's different from any other kid? 50/50, 10/90? Do you even have an opinion?
Wouldn’t pay much attention to a lot of the predictions around here. We all know which posters have good intel.
Good intelligence, yes, and I know who doesn't as well.

I encourage all to offer their opinions, predictions, etc. It's what makes the forum interesting. Some here want people banned from posting, just for having different opinions. Those people will also put posters on ignore so that they don't have to see any opinions that differ from their own; then life is great because they can pretend that everyone agrees with them.

The most successful people have always been the ones who were never happy with the status quo. The same is true for businesses. The same is true for athletes and sports teams. From my first day here, I have wanted to see Rutgers become more successful and I've challenged everything I thought was in the way and I've pointed to things that I believe need improvement. I'm pretty well convinced at this point that little will improve without big changes. I am not a can't-do person and don't accept excuses. I'm also not going to ignore reality and pretend to believe things will turn around without efforts to make change happen.

I've enjoyed seeing kids like Ashnault, Suriano, and Rivera join the team - and more recently, Poz and Soldano. However, if I was asked to counsel a top candidate while being totally objective, I'd find it difficult to recommend Rutgers unless I was confident the kid wouldn't be able to start at the better wrestling schools. I would like it to be different, but am just being honest.

Well, yeah, they are opinions that this forum is full of on a regular basis. How quiet would it be here without projections or opinions, including yours just expressed? Or might it be that all must be in agreement with yours?

Pessimists? Here? I certainly don't know what an 18-year-old is thinking (aside from sex (I remember being 18)) but I do have a reasonable grasp on logic coupled with observations and apply those to most of what I predict. Most of what I've predicted has been accurate; maybe that's what bothers you most.

What does that mean that's different from any other kid? 50/50, 10/90? Do you even have an opinion?

I encourage all to offer their opinions, predictions, etc. It's what makes the forum interesting. Some here want people banned from posting, just for having different opinions. Those people will also put posters on ignore so that they don't have to see any opinions that differ from their own; then life is great because they can pretend that everyone agrees with them.

The most successful people have always been the ones who were never happy with the status quo. The same is true for businesses. The same is true for athletes and sports teams. From my first day here, I have wanted to see Rutgers become more successful and I've challenged everything I thought was in the way and I've pointed to things that I believe need improvement. I'm pretty well convinced at this point that little will improve without big changes. I am not a can't-do person and don't accept excuses. I'm also not going to ignore reality and pretend to believe things will turn around without efforts to make change happen.

I've enjoyed seeing kids like Ashnault, Suriano, and Rivera join the team - and more recently, Poz and Soldano. However, if I was asked to counsel a top candidate while being totally objective, I'd find it difficult to recommend Rutgers unless I was confident the kid wouldn't be able to start at the better wrestling schools. I would like it to be different, but am just being honest.
🤣🤦🏻‍♂️This has to be Mater from the PSU board, right?

M

My god have you ever met someone who likes to hear themselves talk more than this guy? Can you imagine how unbearable he is in person? You are not opening anyone’s eyes, bringing valuable insight, or offering these amazing alternative ideas you think you are. You are quite simply just a “Debbie Downer” and no matter what RU wrestling does, it will never be good enough for you, because you’re a fake fan. And dont start with the “being satisfied with mediocrity” nonsense. Most of us here have realistic goals for this team, somewhere around the range of 2-3 AA’s a year, a National Contender, and a top 10 ranking. IMO, if we get that we’re on the right track, if we exceed it, we’re taking a big step forward.

M

My god have you ever met someone who likes to hear themselves talk more than this guy? Can you imagine how unbearable he is in person? You are not opening anyone’s eyes, bringing valuable insight, or offering these amazing alternative ideas you think you are. You are quite simply just a “Debbie Downer” and no matter what RU wrestling does, it will never be good enough for you, because you’re a fake fan. And dont start with the “being satisfied with mediocrity” nonsense. Most of us here have realistic goals for this team, somewhere around the range of 2-3 AA’s a year, a National Contender, and a top 10 ranking. IMO, if we get that we’re on the right track, if we exceed it, we’re taking a big step forward.

I am usually a debbie downer (in general), but you hit my expectations on the head.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have a national championship contender this year.
I do like having meaningful wrestling matches on Day 2 of the NCAA's
I LOVE the blood round and have lived (TY Scott Delvecchio) and died (TY JVB) watching those round
I never wrestled in my life and started following the sport when my son wrestled.
He wasn't great, but he did letter for 4 years at 125# in high school.
I became addicted to the sport during his time
He graduated the same year as Scott Winston and I started following RU the next year.

I got you beat. Followed the team since the early 1950’s when fellow Somerville stars Don Kovalchick and soon to be inducted into the RU Athletic Hall of Fame in October 2022, Dr Sam Crosby were winning Big Time. Somerville’s Bob Rader, in the early 1960’s duplicated Crosby’s winning an Eastern championship. So the good and lean years followed so they dubbed me the RU Godfather of Wrestling. I understand fans wanting excellence and their frustration when it does not match their expectation. It is a brutal sport and success is not always achieved. Pessimistically is a good guy and an RU wrestling fan. He just feels the process of achieving excellence can be better and improved. It does not mean he is not a fan.

That’s a great perspective on Rutgers wrestling. There is no doubt that you are the godfather of Rutgers wrestling. The most loyal fan while always respecting everyone’s opinion even when they disagree with the dominant line of thinking. Thanks for being a great Rutgers fan and keeping us informed.

Let’s be serious if you are an elite talent and you have world championship aspirations in freestyle you would be dumb not to go to PSU if you have the opportunity given the current RTC rules. The training partner and coaching talent available is unmatched anywhere in the world. It’s not even close.

Reactions: NittanyChris
They're only going to get better over time. Proof is in the pudding. As long as Cael and company are there then they'll be #1 for decades.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Let’s be serious if you are an elite talent and you have world championship aspirations in freestyle you would be dumb not to go to PSU if you have the opportunity given the current RTC rules. The training partner and coaching talent available is unmatched anywhere in the world. It’s not even close.
Don't look now, but you just agreed with my last paragraph.

That’s a great perspective on Rutgers wrestling. There is no doubt that you are the godfather of Rutgers wrestling. The most loyal fan while always respecting everyone’s opinion even when they disagree with the dominant line of thinking. Thanks for being a great Rutgers fan and keeping us informed.
Bill is without a doubt the ultimate Rutgers wrestling fan. Although he is emotionally attached to the program and staff, he is also a reasonable and sound thinker. I have had offline conversations with him because he is approachable and open - and close to the program. I've shared my thoughts and recommendations, not just criticism. While I do appreciate Bill's support, I would not and have not asked him to come to my defense.

As much as I would like to have discussions here about how the program could improve, I've reserved those discussions for Bill because too many individuals here cannot separate their emotions from critical thinking. I can't help but think of the child that hasn't gotten his way and kicks his feet while shouting "Mommy, you must not love me". It's easier to insist I'm a Penn State fan or Crackers, or Matter, or whatever to discredit my message by discrediting me. Those are the people that aren't capable of engaging in meaningful discussion.

To be clear, Bill and I don't agree on everything. I understand his positions and he understands mine. Bill is close enough to the program to recognize the limitations and does not believe my recommendations can be implemented. I come at things differently and believe a lot can be done. I believe NJ produces great wrestlers and Rutgers should be able to become the college face of NJ wrestling. It will take change.

Pessimistically, your comments are right on target. Bill is great and we need more fans like him. I agree with the majority of your views on the team. You don't have a "can't do attitude". You have a "can do attitude" and I truly believe that we can consistently be a top five team. Unfortunately, we have only made the top ten once and that was when Nick and Anthony won their titles when we came in 9th. I hope Bill and you keep posting. We all learn a lot from both of you. You make us think.

I got you beat. Followed the team since the early 1950’s when fellow Somerville stars Don Kovalchick and soon to be inducted into the RU Athletic Hall of Fame in October 2022, Dr Sam Crosby were winning Big Time. Somerville’s Bob Rader, in the early 1960’s duplicated Crosby’s winning an Eastern championship. So the good and lean years followed so they dubbed me the RU Godfather of Wrestling. I understand fans wanting excellence and their frustration when it does not match their expectation. It is a brutal sport and success is not always achieved. Pessimistically is a good guy and an RU wrestling fan. He just feels the process of achieving excellence can be better and improved. It does not mean he is not a fan.
You saw George Mulligan wrestle? I got to meet him when I was a little kid in Rec. wrestling. Some things you just don't forget.

Penn State does not get 5 million a year. That is a myth. They have about 5 million in the bank that generates about 250k a year. Kids go there for the coaching and the results. Money does help their RTC. At our golf outing Scott said the SKWC has $750,000 in the bank. That’s not 5 million. But it is more than most of our competition has in the bank.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Penn State does not get 5 million a year. That is a myth. They have about 5 million in the bank that generates about 250k a year. Kids go there for the coaching and the results. Money does help their RTC. At our golf outing Scott said the SKWC has $750,000 in the bank. That’s not 5 million. But it is more than most of our competition has in the bank.
I don't think that amt of money should be undersold.
It allows for multiple coaches and athletes to focus on training in a lower cost of living area than central nj.
750k is a lot of money, but is it enough to fund 5-6 Sr level athletes and a coaching staff in NJ? Not trashing any take, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Years ago they received a big donation between 5-6 million to NLWC . Ira has donated to many programs on campus . They currently have just over 8 million

State Penn has a donor that gives them millions every year to the NLWC. That's a fact

Mikemessner can you indicate how you arrived at the 5 million a year. According to their most recent tax filing they spent $1,287,000. While it is much more than the SKWC spends, it is a lot less than 5 million a year. West2east is correct that their recent tax filings indicated that they have a little over 8 million in assets.

This information is public and can be found on the internet. Few programs have more assets than the SKWC.

Reactions: elvis7
Mikemessner can you indicate how you arrived at the 5 million a year. According to their most recent tax filing they spent $1,287,000. While it is much more than the SKWC spends, it is a lot less than 5 million a year. West2east is correct that their recent tax filings indicated that they have a little over 8 million in assets.

This information is public and can be found on the internet. Few programs have more assets than the SKWC.
Exactly. I don't like making things up . I'm a fact guy. And I have looked at all the tax returns myself as well.

The tax returns show contributions and expenses. It is all available on the IRS site as well as other service providers provide the info. Let’s not make up facts.

Reactions: west2east
So many made up things and #s people like to embellish . No different then the parent who likes to say my son/daughter is on a scholarship (they receive books) . Now I don't think Mike is making things up someone he obviously trusts told him that.

The tax returns show contributions and expenses. It is all available on the IRS site as well as other service providers provide the info. Let’s not make up facts.
blue: I appreciate your earlier post, thanks.

Money was a big reason why we couldn't compete until we found out that we are well funded. I don't know what the constraints are for the use of those funds, but I think the money could be used differently with greater effect if permissible. Paying resident athletes that seemingly (my perception from the little I see) come and go at their pleasure does not seem to provide maximum benefit to the team. I may be mistaken, but I've believed that the main purpose of the wrestling club is to benefit the kids on the team by providing excellent training partners. If the money is being spent for the benefit of the resident athletes without strings attached, I do not approve. Again, if rules allow, I'd be more in favor of hiring accomplished wrestlers in various weights to work with the kids. Those would be wrestlers that have retired from competition and are obligated to be there during practices, like a real job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT