ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I don't think it will happen. What about training with Hamilton and the Mullet? Casale will be there and I'm sure Soldano will jump in. Having a "Big Name" in the room doesn't mean anything. They always jump ship after a few years, unless we come up with Big Coin, which we don't...ever. All this money was spent on the Rodkin Center, and yet we can't match funds with a Michigan or even an Ohio State? These kids gotta work on themselves...mindset and work ethic. My training partners were no big names and I AA'd twice. it comes from hard work. There is no substitute for it. If he wants to come here, he's gotta know that no big name or high-end facility will do the wrestling for him. So, Jimmy Mullen, if you want in on Rutgers Wrestling and our culture, then that's on you young man. Because at the end of the day, only you can do the winning.
You make some great points here..Who was Tom Martuccis asst. coach when he Won a NCAA Division 1 title for Trenton State? The BIG NAME nowadays is all about helping Recruiting . We had an NCAA Champ/Olympic Medalist on staff and heard he was the worst Asst. coach of all time...Just in...Iowa fans and Alumni are not happy losing to Penn State...You can bet they are throwing around huge money and benefits to recruits on a level we can't sniff right now ..Love to know how much they gave Chittum to flip from Minnesota to Iowa or getting Stanford All-American Real Woods to transfer

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
You make some great points here..Who was Tom Martuccis asst. coach when he Won a NCAA Division 1 title for Trenton State? The BIG NAME nowadays is all about helping Recruiting . We had an NCAA Champ/Olympic Medalist on staff and heard he was the worst Asst. coach of all time...Just in...Iowa fans and Alumni are not happy losing to Penn State...You can bet they are throwing around huge money and benefits to recruits on a level we can't sniff right now ..Love to know how much they gave Chittum to flip from Minnesota to Iowa

Tom Dursee​

If they can upgrade the 3rd assistant coach salary I would love to see them keep Pollard on full time period. I always thought he was the heart and soul of the coaching staff. I don't think we have a shot with Cerchio from Delbarton. And personally, I know his old man and hes a real jerkamoe. So I'm sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Attitude and great wrestling don't go hand-in-hand with success in college. I'd take a thebold type over a Ferrari any day and all day.

You make some great points here..Who was Tom Martuccis asst. coach when he Won a NCAA Division 1 title for Trenton State? The BIG NAME nowadays is all about helping Recruiting . We had an NCAA Champ/Olympic Medalist on staff and heard he was the worst Asst. coach of all time...Just in...Iowa fans and Alumni are not happy losing to Penn State...You can bet they are throwing around huge money and benefits to recruits on a level we can't sniff right now ..Love to know how much they gave Chittum to flip from Minnesota to Iowa or getting Stanford All-American Real Woods to transfer
You're talking about Frank Molinaro? He didn't win any medals. But you're right he was an awful assistant coach. Pure douchebag.

Reactions: mikemessner
Yea I saw that, but if you click on details it says 85 base pay, Gross pay 50,525. I would think the range could go up to 85k? Who knows, but RU wrestling coaches are well compensated. I looked at some other schools and an ACC school head coach was 103k, and the two asst coaches were low 60k each.
I'd guess the full year base salary was $85,000, but he only made $50,525 in 2021 because he worked a partial years, since he wasn't hired until later in the year, but who knows.

Last edited:
He just finished rehab. I never judge how kids look in the summertime because they're 15 to 20lbs over their weight class. Poz is practicing. Why would you ask about Poz

If it is Rey or Wood from Lehigh, Jackson from Princeton, or Gwiazdowski from Cornell it would be great. We need an accomplished big guy. Otherwise it will be tough to get big man recruits. Why would Mullen come here without great workout partners who can give him the feel of big guys?

“Let’sGoRUWrestling” appears to be connected to the program. Hope he is right.

He just finished rehab. I never judge how kids look in the summertime because they're 15 to 20lbs over their weight class. Poz is practicing. Why would you ask about Poz
Good to hear about Turley and Poz! How’s Soldano looking in the room?? Kind of surprise to hear most likely Poz RS this year and Soldano goes.. the staff must feel he’s ready, great news! Is Soldano and Poz going to wrestle off ??

If it is Rey or Wood from Lehigh, Jackson from Princeton, or Gwiazdowski from Cornell it would be great. We need an accomplished big guy. Otherwise it will be tough to get big man recruits. Why would Mullen come here without great workout partners who can give him the feel of big guys?

“Let’sGoRUWrestling” appears to be connected to the program. Hope he is right.
I could see Wood from Lehigh given his connection to Buxton.

Reactions: Leonard23
In another discussion, Bill said "He was not there but is training at home". Since I've been concerned about Poz, that struck me as a possible red flag. I didn't push Bill for an explanation.

I don't understand why Poz would be redshirting unless he can't beat Soldano. Can that be known without a wrestle-off? Or do you already know that Poz hasn't recovered to his original form?

Good to hear about Turley and Poz! How’s Soldano looking in the room?? Kind of surprise to hear most likely Poz RS this year and Soldano goes.. the staff must feel he’s ready, great news! Is Soldano and Poz going to wrestle off ??
Poz redshirting is not set in stone. Poz has mentioned that he would like to take his redshirt. Soldano is a solid wrestler that shows signs of being an AA. Will Poz and Soldano wrestle off most likely they will. Sammy and Olivieri wrestled off last year. White and MVB had a wrestle off, so I think we will have a wrestle off at 184.

Poz is healthy. He didn't have a major injury last year. Wrestlers are in and out of the wrestling room during the summer. There are some wrestlers in the room more than others.

For some of the posters that don't understand wrestling or D1 sports. Coaches send wrestlers to tournaments to see how they do against common opponents. Everything isn't decided just off of a wrestle off. The wrestle off is more for the first match of the season.

Leo leaving wasn't a secret. Leo and the SKWC Board hired Buxton and shortly after that Leo resigned. If some poster didn't know Pollard was hired to fill Leo vacancy position. That wasn't a secret either.

My understanding is that Gwiz was getting back to his Upstate NY roots. After all, the only reason he transferred to NC State was for Popolizio. Prob would have never left Binghamton if Popolizio didn’t take the NC State gig.
Pat Pop is who I would throw a kings ransom to coach RU Wrestling if Goody ever left for whatever reason. He should be coaching the B1G, not the ACC.

Sebastiano Nini, older brother of Alex (CBA), is transferring to Rutgers. Got pinned by Britton last year in an open tournament.

I would imagine this is going to lead to a verbal commitment from Alex soon.

Sebastiano Nini, older brother of Alex (CBA), is transferring to Rutgers. Got pinned by Britton last year in an open tournament.

I would imagine this is going to lead to a verbal commitment from Alex soon.
Yeah, he's been there since at least early June.

Rutgers is recruiting him. He wrestled in the Mobbin Classic last year.
Looks like we lost out on world champ, Joel Adams. He announced his top 7 and we are not in it. As he wrestled in the Mobbin Classic was hoping for an official visit to convince him RU is the right place for him. Wonder if Ashnault leaving impacted his decision.

Looks like we lost out on world champ, Joel Adams. He announced his top 7 and we are not in it. As he wrestled in the Mobbin Classic was hoping for an official visit to convince him RU is the right place for him. Wonder if Ashnault leaving impacted his decision.
I don't think AA news had any impact. Looking at his pedigree and where he lives, Rutgers was an unlikely choice. If he were to come east, it would have to be for prestige. I was expecting Nebraska. What are his choices?

I don't think AA news had any impact. Looking at his pedigree and where he lives, Rutgers was an unlikely choice. If he were to come east, it would have to be for prestige. I was expecting Nebraska. What are his choices?
Losing AA did impact Joel. Ashnault had built a great relationship with him. Now would they've gotten him probably not but having him in on an official would've probably happened

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT