ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I'd be shocked if he went anywhere else so we need others to join him
Agree, would be big surprise if we do not land him. Hoping for Ryder as well. Cerchio-always hard to land Delbarton kids, Taylor-dad wrestled for Cornell..so have to compete with that(just saw it is Nate Taylor CT-Nathon Taylor Kingsway's dad wrestled at Cornell).

Last edited:
Agree, would be big surprise if we do not land him. Hoping for Ryder as well. Cerchio-always hard to land Delbarton kids, Taylor-dad wrestled for Cornell..so have to compete with that(just saw it is Nate Taylor CT-Nathon Taylor Kingsway's dad wrestled at Cornell).
Probably does not matter much, but Cerchio’s father was AA at Seton Hall, so that won’t hurt

Rutgers is recruiting him. He wrestled in the Mobbin Classic last year.
Lol, this time you typed faster than me! Yes been on campus and RU has been in contact for a few years. Kid is a monster, 16-U Fargo double champ, 17-U World Greco Champ, Finished 2nd at last years Super 32......
Willie has him ranked 2nd in country at 145. Big time recruit!!!

Lol, this time you typed faster than me! Yes been on campus and RU has been in contact for a few years. Kid is a monster, 16-U Fargo double champ, 17-U World Greco Champ, Finished 2nd at last years Super 32......
Willie has him ranked 2nd in country at 145. Big time recruit!!!
Project to be a 157?

Sacha Baron Cohen Church GIF by filmeditor
Latest rumor is that Mullen really wants to come to RU. His decision may depend on us getting a heavyweight coach or a big guy as a RTC athlete. Things are looking good for us

• Wow
Reactions: KidDagger
How do we get Jordan Burroughs here
I'd be shocked if we ever did. He's settled in at Penn RTC and I doubt we can come close to outbidding them, and also bring in other athletes for him to train with through 2024.

Wonder if Jimmy Lawson is a name we explore though I think he’s still pursuing an MMA career. Might be hard to break through the MMA world his 30s though

Latest rumor is that Mullen really wants to come to RU. His decision may depend on us getting a heavyweight coach or a big guy as a RTC athlete. Things are looking good for us
I don't think it will happen. What about training with Hamilton and the Mullet? Casale will be there and I'm sure Soldano will jump in. Having a "Big Name" in the room doesn't mean anything. They always jump ship after a few years, unless we come up with Big Coin, which we don't...ever. All this money was spent on the Rodkin Center, and yet we can't match funds with a Michigan or even an Ohio State? These kids gotta work on themselves...mindset and work ethic. My training partners were no big names and I AA'd twice. it comes from hard work. There is no substitute for it. If he wants to come here, he's gotta know that no big name or high-end facility will do the wrestling for him. So, Jimmy Mullen, if you want in on Rutgers Wrestling and our culture, then that's on you young man. Because at the end of the day, only you can do the winning.

Wonder if Jimmy Lawson is a name we explore though I think he’s still pursuing an MMA career. Might be hard to break through the MMA world his 30s though
Lawson is an interesting name. He trained with the SKWC before and would give Mullen the feel of a big man.

Penn State has Varner (gold medalist) as its RTC coach, Synder, Nickel, Taylor, Cassar,and Kerkvliet as workout partners plus Sanderson.

We don’t need that many. But we could use one guy with credentials.

Last edited:
Damion Hahn is one of my favorites out of NJ, but he already has a head coaching position. Thinking of Hahn, I wondered about Jon Trenge. He is back at his high school as the head coach. I don't have any idea how compensation compares, but wonder if an assistant position at Rutgers is better? He may be very happy where he is.

Lawson is an interesting name. He trained with the SKWC before and would give Mullen the feel of a big man.

Penn State has Varner (gold medalist) as its RTC coach, Synder, Nickel, Taylor, Cassar,and Kerkvliet as workout partners plus Sanderson.

We don’t need that many. But we could use one guy with credentials.
Jimmy still comes to practices.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Damion Hahn is one of my favorites out of NJ, but he already has a head coaching position. Thinking of Hahn, I wondered about Jon Trenge. He is back at his high school as the head coach. I don't have any idea how compensation compares, but wonder if an assistant position at Rutgers is better? He may be very happy where he is.
Now that's an interesting thought… Jon Trenge. I just got done watching his documentary, Veritas. Great kid, great documentary, But you have to wonder if he loves that cushioness of his high school gig. He would make one heck of an upper weight coach. I'm curious if it has ever crossed Goodys mind?

Yea love Trenge, but he has been teaching Science for about 12-13 years, between teaching and coaching he is probably making around 100K.
The open RU asst coaching position is about 50k in salary.(at least that was what AA was being paid, not sure how much they can go over that).

Yea love Trenge, but he has been teaching Science for about 12-13 years, between teaching and coaching he is probably making around 100K.
The open RU asst coaching position is about 50k in salary.(at least that was what AA was being paid, not sure how much they can go over that).
I think the 3rd asst coach makes 75-85k, but it's still too low. We need to endow that position so that we can supplement the university pay and bring that compensation up to the 125-150k range. At that price, we will have a lot of interested candidates. IMO

I think the 3rd asst coach makes 75-85k, but it's still too low. We need to endow that position so that we can supplement the university pay and bring that compensation up to the 125-150k range. At that price, we will have a lot of interested candidates. IMO
I think that was when Leo was 3rd asst and was there a very long time. AA was making 50k. One of the reasons 3rd asst move around so much. You can look up coaches salaries at all Public universities. Some Head coaches don't make as much as I thought.

But yes, endowing the 3rd asst salary is the way to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think that was when Leo was 3rd asst and was there a very long time. AA was making 50k. One of the reasons 3rd asst move around so much. You can look up coaches salaries at all Public universities. Some Head coaches don't make as much as I thought.

But yes, endowing the 3rd asst salary is the way to go...
Someone like Trenge has over a decade of experience and proven performance. Compensation needs to be competitive with other opportunities that any candidate might have. That's just common sense and good business practice. I'm more understanding now of Ashnault resigning. Goodale and his superiors need to consider expectations and how they compare to offerings. I remember hiring a temp employee @ $50k in 1994 to do some simple administrative chores.

Although I've asked questions about the resident athletes, I've never received serious answers. From what I've seen, I have some doubts that SKWC money is being spent effectively. When I asked what responsibilities the resident athletes have, I was told: "to wrestle". I suspect it was just a cute remark, and I certainly hope there is more to it than that. But if the athlete comes and goes and doesn't contribute much to helping the team members, the money can be better spent. If Rutgers wants to attract talent, they'll need to pay for it. If it offers $50k, you'll get someone commensurate with that level of coaching experience. And please know that wrestling skill does not always guarantee coaching skill. On the other hand, my old high school had an excellent and successful wrestling coach that had never wrestled.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Someone like Trenge has over a decade of experience and proven performance. Compensation needs to be competitive with other opportunities that any candidate might have. That's just common sense and good business practice. I'm more understanding now of Ashnault resigning. Goodale and his superiors need to consider expectations and how they compare to offerings. I remember hiring a temp employee @ $50k in 1994 to do some simple administrative chores.

Although I've asked questions about the resident athletes, I've never received serious answers. From what I've seen, I have some doubts that SKWC money is being spent effectively. When I asked what responsibilities the resident athletes have, I was told: "to wrestle". I suspect it was just a cute remark, and I certainly hope there is more to it than that. But if the athlete comes and goes and doesn't contribute much to helping the team members, the money can be better spent. If Rutgers wants to attract talent, they'll need to pay for it. If it offers $50k, you'll get someone commensurate with that level of coaching experience. And please know that wrestling skill does not always guarantee coaching skill. On the other hand, my old high school had an excellent and successful wrestling coach that had never wrestled.
Rutgers wrestling coaches salaries are much better than most Universities. The 3rd asst coach is typically a "new" young coach that will wrestle live with the athletes. Coach Goodale is very well paid and Coach Pritzlaff is making more than most head coaches. Anthony did not resign due to pay, he still has the competition fire in his belly. Is it possible to endow the 3rd asst coach to increase the pay? I guess it is, but I think at this time money would be better spent in other areas.

Reactions: mikemessner
According to NJ Public Records Data Base as of 2021. The gross salary for Goodale is $287,000, Pritzlaff $ 170,000, and Ashnault $85,000. The last record of gross salary for Leonardis was 2019 and it was $115,00. It seems that the coaches can also earn a bonus based on performance. Also the salaries don't include benefits such as health care, pension, and reduced tuition.

According to NJ Public Records Data Base as of 2021. The gross salary for Goodale is $287,000, Pritzlaff $ 170,000, and Ashnault $85,000. The last record of gross salary for Leonardis was 2019 and it was $115,00. It seems that the coaches can also earn a bonus based on performance.
Yea I saw that, but if you click on details it says 85 base pay, Gross pay 50,525. I would think the range could go up to 85k? Who knows, but RU wrestling coaches are well compensated. I looked at some other schools and an ACC school head coach was 103k, and the two asst coaches were low 60k each.

Rutgers football had its big annual TD club meeting recently with coach Schano there speaking to a room full of boosters. He came right out and told them right now it is more important to donate to NIL collectives (Like "Knights of the Raritan ") than it is to donate to facility upgrades. He had put into his contract that rutgers had to build him an indoor practice facility and they've been raising money to do that. But he basically told boosters don't do that, give to the NIL collective.

According to NJ Public Records Data Base as of 2021. The gross salary for Goodale is $287,000, Pritzlaff $ 170,000, and Ashnault $85,000. The last record of gross salary for Leonardis was 2019 and it was $115,00. It seems that the coaches can also earn a bonus based on performance. Also the salaries don't include benefits such as health care, pension, and reduced tuition.

They probably make some extra dollars on camps and clinics they give during summer.

ADVERTISEMENT