ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I’m a lil surprise okie state isn’t in his top 5…landing Angelo could be a program changer especially if AJ comes back too
After what happened with his brothers, I'm not surprised OKST isn't a consideration. AJ will never be an option here. He was scheduled to be arraigned today and will stand trial on those sexual assault/battery charges from July, so I doubt any D1 program goes near him, even if he's acquitted. https://okcfox.com/news/local/forme...-garuccio-oklahoma-court-date-december-6-2022

Is it at all possible we overestimate NJ state champs forecast into college wrestling ..we have had tons ..over 20 at least and some were multiple state winner yet other then Poz who had a run a year ago , AA and NS and Delvecchio and Seb none have done anything close to the success they had at the high school level ...way more failures then all Americans...we have had some pretty good NJ state recruits too but I'm beginning to wonder if we over value those accomplishments and should expand our recruiting to other states more then we do now ...kids who went somewhere else have way more success then we have had with our state champs....just a thought
There are NJ state champs and then there are the ones that are also highly rated on a national level. Not all are equal under the state champ umbrella. When looking at the national level, NJ has had much more that its share of representation in the NCAA championship rounds. Offhand, I remember seeing 25% or more of finalists being from NJ. The problem isn't attracting state champs, it's attracting the exceptional ones. Rutgers has done so with Soldano, Poz, Ashnault, Winston, Aragona, and some others. Suriano and Rivera went elsewhere initially, as did some others that transferred in after becoming unhappy where they were. NJ remains a top three wrestling state. I don't expect state champs from other states to solve much more than what we get from home unless they're the highly rated ones, and then why would they come to Rutgers when the NJ kids of that caliber usually don't? Rutgers would be right up there with the best teams if they landed the best the state had to offer. Look at the NJ kids out there now at other schools that are N/C contenders. There is an answer to solving the problem, but it isn't perpetuation of the status quo.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
There are NJ state champs and then there are the ones that are also highly rated on a national level. Not all are equal under the state champ umbrella. When looking at the national level, NJ has had much more that its share of representation in the NCAA championship rounds. Offhand, I remember seeing 25% or more of finalists being from NJ. The problem isn't attracting state champs, it's attracting the exceptional ones. Rutgers has done so with Soldano, Poz, Ashnault, Winston, Aragona, and some others. Suriano and Rivera went elsewhere initially, as did some others that transferred in after becoming unhappy where they were. NJ remains a top three wrestling state. I don't expect state champs from other states to solve much more than what we get from home unless they're the highly rated ones, and then why would they come to Rutgers when the NJ kids of that caliber usually don't? Rutgers would be right up there with the best teams if they landed the best the state had to offer. Look at the NJ kids out there now at other schools that are N/C contenders. There is an answer to solving the problem, but it isn't perpetuation of the status quo.
This is an interesting dilemma. Just looking at former NJ state champs we have had about 24 NJ state champs under Coach Goodale, 18 that didn't All American and 6 that were AAs. This excludes existing roster kids that were state champs and yet to AA.

Of the All Americans, 3 of these kids initially committed to Rutgers (Ashnault, Perrotti, and Poz) and 3 initially committed elsewhere and then came to Rutgers (Suriano, Rivera, and DelVecchio).

On the current roster Janzer, Soldano, Casale, White, Clark, Kinniard, Raimo, Fongaro and O'Neil were NJ state champs and initially committed to Rutgers. Plus Peterson committed to Princeton and Alvarez chose NC State before switching to RU. We don't know if they will AA. Soldano, Peterson, and Alvarez definitely have the ability to AA.

Past NJ champs who didn't AA include:Dellefave, Visciaro, Campolotanno, Gentile, Giraldo,, Angelo, Grello, Mulligan, Correnti, Aragona, Smith, Melde, Winston, Benner, Langel, Firestone, Caruso, and Glasgow. So 25 % of NJ champs who have competed at RU became AA. Is this good or bad? I don't know. What should we expect?

There is a lot of top NJ talent that goes and stays out of state. Need to understand why and what we can do about it. Seems as if we have a good pre-existing relationship with an out of state stud we should go after him. Other wise go after and get the really best NJ kids.

Last edited:
I assume the answer is the same for the general NJ student population. Some kids like getting away and choose Miami. Clemson, Purdu, USC, etc

Is it at all possible we overestimate NJ state champs forecast into college wrestling ..we have had tons ..over 20 at least and some were multiple state winner yet other then Poz who had a run a year ago , AA and NS and Delvecchio and Seb none have done anything close to the success they had at the high school level ...way more failures then all Americans...we have had some pretty good NJ state recruits too but I'm beginning to wonder if we over value those accomplishments and should expand our recruiting to other states more then we do now ...kids who went somewhere else have way more success then we have had with our state champs....just a thought
Not wrong. I’ve noticed similar, generally a 1x champ doesn’t become anything special though it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

It’s not the number of state championship that matters but rather who you beat.. every state produces many state champions.. what Turley is a 4x VA state champion ? And a NJ state champion is on average more prestigious then the easier states to get a title.. but once again some years it’s easier to win a title so it’s more about who you beat that’s nationally ranked that’s the biggest predictor how you generally will do in college..

Id say the biggest factor is how highly ranked the recruit is in his class.. they’ve looked at data points and more then half of future all Americans were top 20 class p4p hs recruits..look at the Penn state formula they just get top 10 p4p wrestlers and small recruiting classes..

Expanding outside of our state won’t help much unless the recruits are elite it doesn’t really matter where they came from.. we had plenty of out of state recruits that didn’t AA(except Turley and he was ranked #30-50 big board).

The second biggest factor of a recruit is their mindset to keep improving on the next lvl.. this is where some top prize recruits can fail(camp Aragona etc) and also this is how hidden gems can be found (Seabass/Cassar etc).

After what happened with his brothers, I'm not surprised OKST isn't a consideration. AJ will never be an option here. He was scheduled to be arraigned today and will stand trial on those sexual assault/battery charges from July, so I doubt any D1 program goes near him, even if he's acquitted. https://okcfox.com/news/local/forme...-garuccio-oklahoma-court-date-december-6-2022
If AJ is able to wrestle in the future there will be teams that take him.. the allure of a champ is too huge.. didn’t Andrew Long get charged with sexual assault and then was able to wrestle afterwords? Penn state took him in no?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
This is an interesting dilemma. Just looking at former NJ state champs we have had about 24 NJ state champs under Coach Goodale, 18 that didn't All American and 6 that were AAs. This excludes existing roster kids that were state champs and yet to AA.

Of the All Americans, 3 of these kids initially committed to Rutgers (Ashnault, Perrotti, and Poz) and 3 initially committed elsewhere and then came to Rutgers (Suriano, Rivera, and DelVecchio).

On the current roster Janzer, Soldano, Casale, White, Clark, Kinniard, Raimo, Fongaro and O'Neil were NJ state champs and initially committed to Rutgers. Plus Peterson committed to Princeton and Alvarez chose NC State before switching to RU. We don't know if they will AA. Soldano, Peterson, and Alvarez definitely have the ability to AA.

Past NJ champs who didn't AA include:Dellefave, Visciaro, Campolotanno, Gentile, Giraldo,, Angelo, Grello, Mulligan, Correnti, Aragona, Smith, Melde, Winston, Benner, Langel, Firestone, Caruso, and Glasgow. So 25 % of NJ champs who have competed at RU became AA. Is this good or bad? I don't know. What should we expect?

There is a lot of top NJ talent that goes and stays out of state. Need to understand why and what we can do about it. Seems as if we have a good pre-existing relationship with an out of state stud we should go after him. Other wise go after and get the really best NJ kids.
It’s like this for every state.. not every pa,oh,ca state champ in hs will become a AA in college.. in fact a majority won’t.. and it’s even less % for state title winners from other states.. on average the state titles from the elite states are harder to obtain bc of competition.. it always comes down to the nationally ranked competition u beat regardless.. you can be a 4x champ from any state but if u beat no nationally ranked competition then probably won’t do well in college when you meet the best of the best. This is why I think a super 32 title(or any tough hs tourney) is way more prestigious then any state title..

Reactions: mikemessner
If AJ is able to wrestle in the future there will be teams that take him.. the allure of a champ is too huge.. didn’t Andrew Long get charged with sexual assault and then was able to wrestle afterwords? Penn state took him in no?
No. Long was initially dismissed from ISU for multiple unspecified rules violations related to alcohol, but then committed sexual assault/rape at PSU and went to prison. He had further alcohol issues at Grand View and went back to prison. No one will touch AJ, except for a Grand View type, but I doubt anyone will. I'd probably drop my season tickets and donations if he came here.

All of them. That's the goal to be an AA/National Champ.
If the expectation is that all our NJ state champs AA, we aren't doing very well. We are 6 for 24. 100% is a nice goal; but, totally unrealistic. We are likely the 3rd best state for high school wrestling and there are 8 AAs per weight class so it may be realistic to expect 30 to 40% of champs to become an AA.

Last edited:
If the expectation is that all our NJ state champs AA, we aren't doing very well. We are 6 for 24. 100% is a nice goal; but, totally unrealistic. We are likely the 3rd best state for high school wrestling and there are 8 AAs per weight class so it may be realistic to expect 30 to 40% of to become an AA.
I’m curious to know how many %% pa/ca/oh state champs become AA

What matters is how many AAs you develop, regardless of what they did in HS or what state they came from. AA is harder to do than win a state title, but non champions can go on to AA. And getting strong recruits from other states especially PA NY and Ohio can only help. To make mark on national stage it’s important to have at least strong regional recruiting circle.

What matters is how many AAs you develop, regardless of what they did in HS or what state they came from. AA is harder to do than win a state title, but non champions can go on to AA. And getting strong recruits from other states especially PA NY and Ohio can only help. To make mark on national stage it’s important to have at least strong regional recruiting circle.
While regardless of what they did in hs and u can still develop them into AA is a nice theory that’s not how it works.. any coaching staff that lands Suriano/Brooks is going to “develop” them into AA and on the flipside no amount of coaching up, even Cael’s, is going to turn a random Chattanooga wrestler into an AA.. ofc AA is harder then winning n a state title.. there’s more state titlist every year then there are AA lol…and ofc non state champs can go on to AA but that’s the exception rather then the rule..

There’s been data points that show half of AA were Former top 20 big boarders.. I don’t think that’s just a coincidence..

I think style also matters. More defensive wrestlers don't translate well to college. Sure, there's some outliners but the State champs who can light up the score board usually do better.

While regardless of what they did in hs and u can still develop them into AA is a nice theory that’s not how it works.. any coaching staff that lands Suriano/Brooks is going to “develop” them into AA and on the flipside no amount of coaching up, even Cael’s, is going to turn a random Chattanooga wrestler into an AA.. ofc AA is harder then winning n a state title.. there’s more state titlist every year then there are AA lol…and ofc non state champs can go on to AA but that’s the exception rather then the rule..

There’s been data points that show half of AA were Former top 20 big boarders.. I don’t think that’s just a coincidence..
There is a massive difference between the guys at the top of the P4P big board and your typical one time state champion. Suriano and Andrew Clark we’re both state champions but hardly the same animal. Your average state champion h will have guys who are maybe multiple place finishers but never at top who are no worse prospects. Of course we would prefer the guys who are top 3 P4P or 3x champions and ready made AA as true freshmen. We cant build our roster with those types, so to a large extent we have to develop guys into AA.

Reactions: Leonard23
Jack Zaleski will be wrestling 126 in tournaments the rest of the season. I think he will be the favorite to win a state title here. 132 would have been a tough road with Stanich, Collins, and now Santaniello there.

Zaleski is the top seed in the 126 bracket in this weekends Shore Conference tournament. Barring any upsets, he will likely face Sebastian Ortega in the finals. Wouldn’t be surprised if they met in the semi’s or finals of states as well.

Jack Zaleski will be wrestling 126 in tournaments the rest of the season. I think he will be the favorite to win a state title here. 132 would have been a tough road with Stanich, Collins, and now Santaniello there.

Zaleski is the top seed in the 126 bracket in this weekends Shore Conference tournament. Barring any upsets, he will likely face Sebastian Ortega in the finals. Wouldn’t be surprised if they met in the semi’s or finals of states as well.
Stanich got a forfeit at 126 against Hopatcong on 1/21/23, so he could decide to wrestle 126 for the tourneys.

Reactions: SCNJ

Collins is at 126, and it sounds like Stanich is at 126 also. Zalesky will be in the mix with Walsh Pope John, Young Camden Catholic, Melamaud BC, Ortega Howell

Collins is at 126, and it sounds like Stanich is at 126 also. Zalesky will be in the mix with Walsh Pope John, Young Camden Catholic, Melamaud BC, Ortega Howell
Didn’t realize Collins was also dropping. They’re probably all ducking Santaniello who for my money is the best p4p wrestler in the state.

Southern doesn’t enter the shore conference anymore because they’re crybabies about not hosting so that matchup vs Zaleski will have to wait

Didn’t realize Collins was also dropping. They’re probably all ducking Santaniello who for my money is the best p4p wrestler in the state.

Southern doesn’t enter the shore conference anymore because they’re crybabies about not hosting so that matchup vs Zaleski will have to wait
Yea Collins wrestled 126 against Delbarton last night and Stout dropped from 38 to 32. And agree everyone running from Santaniello.

Surprised Walsh isn't listed on the depth chart as a potential 2025 recruit. He may be nudged elsewhere by some coaches, but he's trained at SKWC some, so I'd think he's in the mix.

Reactions: plcoolg
Just got back home from shore conference tournament. Zaleski won, defeating a state placer in the finals while controlling the whole way.

The Shore is unbelievably stacked this year. They have a legitimate state contender at every weight except 285.

Harvey Ludington is a must get. He is an enormous human being with a non stop motor. I have no clue how he’s only a sophomore and how he’s only 175. He looks like a 190 pound senior.

Just got back home from shore conference tournament. Zaleski won, defeating a state placer in the finals while controlling the whole way.

The Shore is unbelievably stacked this year. They have a legitimate state contender at every weight except 285.

Harvey Ludington is a must get. He is an enormous human being with a non stop motor. I have no clue how he’s only a sophomore and how he’s only 175. He looks like a 190 pound senior.
Is Harvey the brick guy who transferred in or something last year?

Is Harvey the brick guy who transferred in or something last year?
Yes from Nevada

The most impressive champs I watched yesterday in order:

1. Harvey Ludington
2. Anthony Knox
3. Anthony Santaniello (Oklahoma)
4. Jasiah Queen (Drexel, future portal guy?)
5. Julian George (Wisconsin)
6. Jack Zaleski (RU)
7. Bobby Duffy
8. Zander Silva (Princeton)
9. DJ Henry
10. Hudson Skove
11. Tyler Barrett (Columbia)
12. Brady Klinsky
13. Zach Reilly
14. Ryan Fischer

This list doesn’t even include Patrick O’Keefe who lost in the finals in SV, Nini and Portella who didn’t enter, and Henrich and Collins who didn’t enter because Southern didn’t enter. The Shore is going to win at minimum 4-5 state titles and could legitimately win as many as 11-12.

Ludington and Vincenzo Lavalle are two of the underclassmen that we really need to land. I would hope with the success we've had with Hanover Park over the years we should be able to land Lavalle

The list also include Jayden James, Knox, Perentin, but obviously its always a wildcard with the parochial schools

Reactions: njsportsphan
Yes from Nevada

The most impressive champs I watched yesterday in order:

1. Harvey Ludington
2. Anthony Knox
3. Anthony Santaniello (Oklahoma)
4. Jasiah Queen (Drexel, future portal guy?)
5. Julian George (Wisconsin)
6. Jack Zaleski (RU)
7. Bobby Duffy
8. Zander Silva (Princeton)
9. DJ Henry
10. Hudson Skove
11. Tyler Barrett (Columbia)
12. Brady Klinsky
13. Zach Reilly
14. Ryan Fischer

This list doesn’t even include Patrick O’Keefe who lost in the finals in SV, Nini and Portella who didn’t enter, and Henrich and Collins who didn’t enter because Southern didn’t enter. The Shore is going to win at minimum 4-5 state titles and could legitimately win as many as 11-12.
Shore is loaded, but think you have "Shore colored glasses" lol. I think 4-5 champs is the max not the minimum. I hope RU gets Ludington, but he is not beating Simon Ruiz of Delbarton. Knox and Santaniello are as close to locks as possible. Delbarton could/will have 4-5 champs.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Who are the top/favored heavies in the state. Nutley s toranzo Jr transfer from st joes is undefeated supposedly doesn’t have any comp until region semis/final on paper. His brother is RU heavy transfer this year

Shore is loaded, but think you have "Shore colored glasses" lol. I think 4-5 champs is the max not the minimum. I hope RU gets Ludington, but he is not beating Simon Ruiz of Delbarton. Knox and Santaniello are as close to locks as possible. Delbarton could/will have 4-5 champs.
I’m definitely a shore homer but this is my prediction at the moment

120 - Knox
126 - Zaleski
132 - Santaniello
144 - George
150 - Henrich
165 - Queen
175 - Ludington
215 - Skove

Klinsky is also #2 at 106, Nini is #2 at 138, and Silva is #3 at 157, and O’Keefe is a returning state finalist at 113 though I’m not expecting him or Duffy to win the whole thing. Really want to see Ludington vs Ruiz in the finals. I don’t think it’s a lock that Ruiz
beats him.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Who are the top/favored heavies in the state. Nutley s toranzo Jr transfer from st joes is undefeated supposedly doesn’t have any comp until region semis/final on paper. His brother is RU heavy transfer this year
Mullen is not going to lose and is only a covid football year away from being the 5th wrestler to win 4 state titles in NJ. Acciardi is the next best but after that it’s really just picking names out of a hat. Aside from Mullen, heavyweight has had some real flukey tournament results over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT