ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Top 100 Sophomores from Flo

Not sure where we stand with the top NJ guys, but I assume Nini is almost a lock given all of his connections/relationships:

20​
Louie CerchioDelbartonNJ
170​
25​
Matty LopesBlair AcademyNJ
132​
29​
Alessandro NiniChristian BrothersNJ
120​
51​
Nathan TaylorKingswayNJ
132​
52​
August HiblerNorth HaledonNJ
145​
64​
Dan JonesDelbartonNJ
113​
99​
Ryan FordBergan CatholicNJ
132​

There are some big time Red Flags with Monday
🤔 Hadn't heard that. Such as?
Top 100 Sophomores from Flo

Not sure where we stand with the top NJ guys, but I assume Nini is almost a lock given all of his connections/relationships:

20​
Louie CerchioDelbartonNJ
170​
25​
Matty LopesBlair AcademyNJ
132​
29​
Alessandro NiniChristian BrothersNJ
120​
51​
Nathan TaylorKingswayNJ
132​
52​
August HiblerNorth HaledonNJ
145​
64​
Dan JonesDelbartonNJ
113​
99​
Ryan FordBergan CatholicNJ
132​
I would agree. I'd like to know where we stand with Cerchio, Ryder, Lilledahl, and Sealey. I'd guess no shot with Gibson (Cornell or PSU?).

A great job by our coaches. #8 in the country. Our best recruiting ranking in the last 6 years!

#8 - Rutgers Scarlet Knights​

6 Year Cycle: #17, #12, #15, NR, NR

Top 250 Recruits

#12 Brian Soldano High Point NJ 184

#44 PJ Casale Delbarton NJ 197

#60 Luke Gayer Calvary Chapel CA 165

#71 Joe Fongaro Booneton NJ 149

#236 Brandon Chletsos Notre Dame PA 141

Other Commitments: Eric Freeman Paramus NJ 165

Why They're Here: Soldano could be a superstar. Not only have his results been great - with three state titles and finals appearances in both Fargo and S32 - but he wrestles a very excited and unorthodox style. Think of him as a bigger version of Dean Hamiti.

Casale made the finals of Cadet Trials and won Pan Ams. Gayer was a late bloomer that lost in OT in state finals this year to the #1 160lber in the country. And Fongaro was the talk of Atlantic City after beating #4 Ty Whalen in state finals.

It’s a great haul for Rutgers with legitimate NCAA point-scoring potential.

As 2023 recruiting has been really quiet, I wonder if we are pursuing transfers. Beard would be a kid we should go all in after. Anyone know what is happening with recruiting or going after transfers.

Kind of surprised he didn’t want the continued challenge of B10 and maybe to stick it back to PSU.

He's from Pottstown and went to Malvern Prep so it could have just been that wanted to stay in PA and as close to home as possible.

The painful truth is that a late percentage of High schoolers have little interest in staying in state for college. Better weather, more attractive campuses, getting away from home, or the perception of higher prestige are all big reasons. My son is a HS senior and none of his friends were looking at in state schools.
Rutgers wrestling needs to get a recruiting pipeline into PA Ohio etc. they have sone examples but not nearly enough.

And things are only going to get more difficult with Princeton/UPenn throwing NIL money at kids. academic first, my ass. Rules about no red shirting for IVY is not an NCAA rule, it’s their rule because they want to appear as “academic first” then they go out and find ways to circumvent their own rule. The Ivys are frauds but they still have the reputation and the money.

Are you telling PSU is better weather and a better campus than RU? Okie State too? Have you ever been there?

Are you telling PSU is better weather and a better campus than RU? Okie State too? Have you ever been there?
I gave several reasons, all from the mouth of kids, not mine. You can argue against it or say they are wrong and maybe you are right, but the fact is, what I have stated are the overwhelming responses Ive heard from majority of kids (and parents) I have spoken to, hence my belief that’s how a lot of them think. Not how I think, but it is what it is.

I think the reason they go to other top programs is to be with the best and train with the best and not because of the weather or prettier campuses.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Build it and they will come. Rutgers is building it. No one in their right mind should expect us to recruit like PSU, OSU, Iowa, OK St. Now throw the NIL, free money rodeo into the mix. We are progressing and improving. Keep climbing up the mountain.

Reactions: DUForever
I think the reason they go to other top programs is to be with the best and train with the best and not because of the weather or prettier campuses.
It depends on their priorities as individuals, doesn't it? Some are wrestling first and foremost while others consider the academics. Some subset will want great weather and maybe parties and girls. Oh, and some may want to be close to home, which is a plus or minus depending on where the recruit lives.

The painful truth is that a late percentage of High schoolers have little interest in staying in state for college. Better weather, more attractive campuses, getting away from home, or the perception of higher prestige are all big reasons. My son is a HS senior and none of his friends were looking at in state schools.
Rutgers wrestling needs to get a recruiting pipeline into PA Ohio etc. they have sone examples but not nearly enough.

And things are only going to get more difficult with Princeton/UPenn throwing NIL money at kids. academic first, my ass. Rules about no red shirting for IVY is not an NCAA rule, it’s their rule because they want to appear as “academic first” then they go out and find ways to circumvent their own rule. The Ivys are frauds but they still have the reputation and the money.

Better weather at these other schools for wrestling? Thanks for the most ridiculous opinion of the year.

Reactions: elvis7
Better weather at these other schools for wrestling? Thanks for the most ridiculous opinion of the year.
Don’t be an asshole. Yes, there are lots of factors that go into the decision and location and climate can be major factors, My son is high schoool senior going through the process now, I’m telling you the reasons I hear. My opinion was that many kids don’t prefer to stay in NJ for college for a variety of reasons hence I’d like to see us build stronger recruitment out of state. This is a such a ridiculous opinion? Jesus Christ, it’s practically self evident.

Last edited:
This is true to an extent. The problem is it is not always so clear cut what you mean by best. Most kids will narrow down their choices to a few schools. Assuming wrestling is their criteria 1, those schools are likely viewed as similar with respect to the wrestling programs and opportunity and from there, that’s where other factors come in to play. The hardest part I suspect may not be simply getting onto your top recruits short list, but closing the deal from there.

Problem is most of the top 2023 kids are already committed (20 of the top 25) and we are nowhere to be found. The only uncommitted person we are connected to in the top 25 is Mullen (#9). If we miss on him, not sure we land an elite recruit unless we really pull some magic out of a hat to flip someone, get a stud in the portal, or go out of state to land someone like

#13 Tyler Kasak (PA - 157)
#25 Sonny Sasso (PA - 197/285)

The next un-commited NJ recruits are:

#71 Tyler Vazquez (149)
#77 Julian George (157)
#78 Mikey Dellagatta (184)
#84 AJ Fricchione (197)
#86 Justin Griffith (184)
#94 Max Acciardi (285)
#111 Luke Stanich (141)
#113 Zander Silva (165)
#117 Jasiah Queen (174)

Willie's Updated 2023 Big Board:

Don’t be an asshole. Yes, there are lots of factors that go into the decision and location and climate can be major factors, My son is high schoool senior going through the process now, I’m telling you the reasons I hear. My opinion was that many kids don’t prefer to stay in NJ for college for a variety of reasons hence I’d like to see us build stronger recruitment out of state. This is a such a ridiculous opinion? Jesus Christ, it’s practically self evident.
You're right, it wasn't ridiculous. I left the state for better weather (and lower taxes). There are people here that want to criticize others' comments regardless of content. However, your post is common here in terms of excuse-making. There are lots of reasons/excuses for why things happen or don't happen. I'd rather see honest assessments and actions to address the issues that discourage kids from choosing Rutgers. Excuses don't serve to improve anything. "We're doing everything we can" is rarely a true statement but may reflect perceived limitations.

Problem is most of the top 2023 kids are already committed (20 of the top 25) and we are nowhere to be found. The only uncommitted person we are connected to in the top 25 is Mullen (#9). If we miss on him, not sure we land an elite recruit unless we really pull some magic out of a hat to flip someone, get a stud in the portal, or go out of state to land someone like

#13 Tyler Kasak (PA - 157)
#25 Sonny Sasso (PA - 197/285)

The next un-commited NJ recruits are:

#71 Tyler Vazquez (149)
#77 Julian George (157)
#78 Mikey Dellagatta (184)
#84 AJ Fricchione (197)
#86 Justin Griffith (184)
#94 Max Acciardi (285)
#111 Luke Stanich (141)
#113 Zander Silva (165)
#117 Jasiah Queen (174)

Willie's Updated 2023 Big Board:
I think our chances of Mullen coming are slim to none. I expect we'll hear his decision was between Rutgers and where he actually chooses. I'm trying my best to reconcile the logic of why kids don't want to stay home in NJ with thinking kids might want to come to NJ from out of state. Give me some time... maybe the pizza? I think Rutgers itself and the wrestling program specifically have to be the attractions. Focusing on what to do there might help.

Most of the wrestling programs except ASU are not in weather factored environments. Most Southern schools and California schools except Stanford do not have wrestling which is why I eliminated that as a choosing criteria. I doubt we get Mullen since we have PJ Casale who May end up competing with Mullen and they are very good friends.

Most of the wrestling programs except ASU are not in weather factored environments. Most Southern schools and California schools except Stanford do not have wrestling which is why I eliminated that as a choosing criteria. I doubt we get Mullen since we have PJ Casale who May end up competing with Mullen and they are very good friends.

Is casale big enough to be a big ten heavy?

PJ was told he's at 197. Mullen is leaning more football. I hope Schiano does his magic. We are all in on Mullen.
I wouldn't put too much stake into getting Mullen. I'm hearing he might go to Michigan. I'm not as hyped on this kid as everybody else is. He's a very good wrestler but reminds me very much of a Jimmy Lawson. We'll have a very good career but not a dominant one. After what I saw Nick Feldman did to him, I just don't see him having the upward trajectory of the other big 10 heavyweights heavyweight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT