ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Definitely excited to see:

Peterson - 57kg (126lbs)
Alvarez - 65kg (143lbs)
Clark - 70kg (155lbs)
White - 70kg
Kanniard bulking up a weight class and Clark going down a weight class interests me. I wonder if Kanniard is better at 165 and Clark is at 157. Granted this is a freestyle tourney but just speculating for next season.

There is a percentage of the roster competing this weekend at the event via the link above. I'm glad to see our staff creating opportunities for our guys to develop and get mat time.

Who are we excited to watch wrestle most?
I think Sammy and Petersen due to health/absenteeism(is that a word lol?) issues the last year, or so.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm surprised we aren't seeing Raimo given his freestyle success at Fargo, etc... I'm guessing he is still recovering, but he has seemed more active at SKWC training so it would have been nice to see him in action as well.

I think Sammy and Petersen due to health/absenteeism(is that a word lol?) issues the last year, or so.
Agree. Sammy will be tested at a less uncomfortable weight. Peterson has been out of competition for too long. I'll be comparing his performance to Shawver who has been performing well. It would be interesting if they met at some point. I hope to see White continue to do well.

Mays committed last year and was probably highly influenced by Jason Nase who was a former Rider Assistant coach and then became a Howell Assistant HS coach with Mays...IMO he'll be in transfer portal pretty soon because his HS Team had better crowds and more fans then Rider will ever sniff and what good College Wrestler would want to stay at a HS atmosphere unless they struggle academically..Has anybody ever visited the Rider Campus and HS gym? What a Dump!
There’s definitely a pipeline there. Reitsma and Malone are also at Rider. A lot of you guys rag on Rider and I don’t really get why. They’re not even close to competing with us as a program and their roster is filled with NJ state placers. Most of them are pretty good kids too. Sure there’s a clown or two like Dellavecchia but you’re going to get that on every roster including ours. I would love to see Rider succeed.

There’s definitely a pipeline there. Reitsma and Malone are also at Rider. A lot of you guys rag on Rider and I don’t really get why. They’re not even close to competing with us as a program and their roster is filled with NJ state placers. Most of them are pretty good kids too. Sure there’s a clown or two like Dellavecchia but you’re going to get that on every roster including ours. I would love to see Rider succeed.
Nah...we don't need the competition. Rider wrestling is to Rutgers wrestling as Temple football is to Rutgers football. A good Rider team doesn't help Rutgers.

Definitely excited to see:

Peterson - 57kg (126lbs)
Alvarez - 65kg (143lbs)
Clark - 70kg (155lbs)
White - 70kg
Even heavier as they get a +2 kg allowance.
We rag on Rider because one of their coaches was spouting off on social media years ago, which is also why we stopped wrestling them for a while.

Even heavier as they get a +2 kg allowance.

We rag on Rider because one of their coaches was spouting off on social media years ago, which is also why we stopped wrestling them for a while.
Yep. No different than when Temple's 17 known football fans jumped on the football board talking shit to us when they rejoined the BE in 2012, saying they were gonna beat our 2012 team. We ended up showing no mercy in that game.

Reactions: Leonard23
I totally agree. If you like wrestling, you want successful programs here. You want kids coming to and staying in NJ rather than leaving the state. Local rivalries are good.

Reactions: obrats
Lorenzo Norman of Blair has made official visits to Penn and Princeton and May go to Stanford. Going on official to Harvard. I say he ends up at Penn or Princeton

Can we land a good heavy at some point? Losing Mullen hurts. It doesn’t seem like Hamilton will be wrestling much and Boone isn’t the answer. Casale is too small for heavy in the big ten.

I still remember when Rider was ahead of us in wrestling before Goodale was hired.

The tables have thoroughly turned there. Hell… Lehigh used to be the unreachable goal back then as well, and as a program we’ve won our fair share of duals against them now.

How many times have we beat Lehigh? I don’t remember many.

Not many....2-2 in the last 4 against them from 2013-17. We won in 2013 and 16 they won in 14 and 2017. Would love to get them back on the schedule and start chipping away at the 3-43 record against them! I do think it would draw fans very well at both locations.

Agree I’d like to see that match every year. It would be great for the fans.

Not many....2-2 in the last 4 against them from 2013-17. We won in 2013 and 16 they won in 14 and 2017. Would love to get them back on the schedule and start chipping away at the 3-43 record against them! I do think it would draw fans very well at both locations.
Agree I’d like to see that match every year. It would be great for the fans.
Yeah, we should replace the Rider scrimmage with Lehigh

I still remember when Rider was ahead of us in wrestling before Goodale was hired.

The tables have thoroughly turned there. Hell… Lehigh used to be the unreachable goal back then as well, and as a program we’ve won our fair share of duals against them now.
I remember my old grammar school wrestling coach telling me how Rutgers would never beat Lehigh as long as he lived. We were both sitting together years later when we beat them at the RAC. I was also sitting with Hughes's (Lehigh assistant) Aunt and Cousin at the time. It was an awesome moment for me, but not for the company I was in.

Can we land a good heavy at some point? Losing Mullen hurts. It doesn’t seem like Hamilton will be wrestling much and Boone isn’t the answer. Casale is too small for heavy in the big ten.
Did Mullen commit? I missed that. Thanks. $$$$

Would be surprised if it comes down to NIL. There are a lot of Jersey businesses that would benefit from Mullen's endorsement. He is a quality kid. He has indicated that work-out partners at the Big Ten level are important . Hopefully, we get a resident athlete who can provide Mullen the type of heavyweight that prepares him for success. Unlikely that Hamilton will provide it. Martin and Boone are too small for what a quality heavyweight requires.

Reactions: FoxRU

Exactly ...Rider was the better program before Goodale arrived and they were tools letting everybody know that...I cheer for every NJ Wrestler every year but a lot of good Rider Wrestlers in the past have been PA. or NY wrestlers..And if you watch ANY Rider Dual meets the coaches are Famous to put on a Clown Show every match..Also to say Rider is not even close to competing with us is a stretch especially with transfer portal but I get where your coming from with recent results!

Last edited:

I have a patient who’s husband wrestled for them when they had a better program. He made sure to tell me that he never lost to anyone from Rutgers. I think many, understandably, have a chip on their shoulder about us, and don’t want Rutgers to succeed.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Rutgers has a losing Record (10-12 ) Lifetime vs Rider...Sacchi was 2-11 with a bunch of blowout losses...Goodale is 8-1 with only loss in his 1st year in 2008... 19-13...We were their Little Brothers for a Long time!

Feb. 3, 2022 W 36-3
Feb. 9, 2020 W 25-6
Dec. 16, 2018 W 28-6
Dec. 8, 2012 W 25-5
Dec. 10, 2011 W 21-12
Jan. 22, 2011 W 29-3
Jan. 22, 2010 W 22-9
Jan. 24, 2009 W 18-16
Feb. 2, 2008 L 13-19
Jan. 31, 2007 L 15-24
Jan. 25, 2006 L 15-26
Feb. 2, 2005 L 7-34
Jan. 21, 2004 L 12-22
Jan. 22, 2003 W 19-14
Jan. 22, 2002 L 15-16
Jan. 24, 2001 W 29-13
Jan. 26, 2000 L 22-9
Jan. 27, 1999 L 8-34
Jan. 28, 1998 L 9-23
Jan. 30, 1997 L 6-32
Jan. 31, 1996 L 6-29
Jan. 31, 1995 L 3-31

Last edited:
Penn State 197 Michael Beard in portal. Would make that phone call
Would be a huge get but makes the roster management that more difficult with Poz, Soldano, Casale, and Janzer all who have a lot of eligibility remaining.

Where are all of the good middle weights in the portal? lol

Would be a huge get but makes the roster management that more difficult with Poz, Soldano, Casale, and Janzer all who have a lot of eligibility remaining.

Poz 184 ( DOes POz have a redshirt available?)
Soldano/Casale Red Shirt
Janzer..challenege for 184 or 197

I would be excited for Beard to come to RU.
WHat other B10 school needs a 197 pounder?

Of course, who knows where he wants to wrestle.

Hell yeah, I believe he still has 3 yrs. left, they should be on the phone already, I guess this means Dean is coming back.
You can bet We are all over contacting him but it will be tough with the NIL..I think Iowa was going to be on a slight decline but they will throw crazy money to make sure they don't slide down ( Real Woods signing)...We have some pretty good money and incentives for Recruits and transfers but not compared to Iowa/ Oklahoma State/ Iowa State or Penn State and a couple others..NCAA Wrestling is going to be debacle in next couple years...So Sad

Last edited:
Reactions: dollarbill
Soldano/Casale Red Shirt

Poz has a redshirt but all of that only solves this year. Beard has 3 years of eligibility left so you have two years of Poz, Soldano, Casale, and Beard all vying for 2 spots with no redshirts available. Obviously you want competition at every weight but like you see you won't have top recruits/guys sit around for 2-3 years backing someone up.

Soldano/Casale Red Shirt

I think Poz has a RS available.

Poz has a redshirt but all of that only solves this year. Beard has 3 years of eligibility left so you have two years of Poz, Soldano, Casale, and Beard all vying for 2 spots with no redshirts available. Obviously you want competition at every weight but like you see you won't have top recruits/guys sit around for 2-3 years backing someone up.
Who cares about the year after and roster management ! Let’s just grab as much talent and everything will sort itself hehe… but in all seriousness are there any indications Beard is even interested in transferring here?

Isn’t UNC’s Monday still in the portal?? Last we heard of him we were in his top 4 but yeah Need a boost of life to middleweights

Reactions: bigmatt718
Monday would definitely be more of a help for us than Beard. Won't complain about getting either, though.
Lineup wise Monday makes more sense for us but all American wise/scoring at nationals— Beard is more of a sure thing.. heard he’s very close to Dean..

Lineup wise Monday makes more sense for us but all American wise/scoring at nationals— Beard is more of a sure thing.. heard he’s very close to Dean..
Yeah. Beard most definitely will put mucho points on the board at Nationals. Monday would close a hole in the middle of our lineup in dual season.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Who cares about the year after and roster management ! Let’s just grab as much talent and everything will sort itself hehe… but in all seriousness are there any indications Beard is even interested in transferring here?
I’m not sure if you’re joking or not but the plan should 100% be to acquire as much talent as possible and work itself out. I have no idea if Beard is realistic but if it is you have to go after him and if that means it forces a current wrestler to enter the portal or redshirt then so be it.

197 is a question mark coming in. I don’t know if Poz or Janzer plan to bump up or if Soldano or Casale plan on wrestling right away. Either way, that’s two true freshman, a former AA who really fell off last year, and a kid coming back from major surgery. All of those options can play out to be very good but at the same time none of those options are sure things.

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not but the plan should 100% be to acquire as much talent as possible and work itself out. I have no idea if Beard is realistic but if it is you have to go after him and if that means it forces a current wrestler to enter the portal or redshirt then so be it.

197 is a question mark coming in. I don’t know if Poz or Janzer plan to bump up or if Soldano or Casale plan on wrestling right away. Either way, that’s two true freshman, a former AA who really fell off last year, and a kid coming back from major surgery. All of those options can play out to be very good but at the same time none of those options are sure things.
It was a half joke… I made a comment earlier how we would fit everyone in at our lower weights and seems like the consensus was worry about the now and just grab as much talent…

I do agree though that we need to get Beard if we can.. he’s an instant AA contender for 3 years.. it will mean that some of our guys will most likely have to sit/transfer out(you made good points on 197 no one is a sure thing) but this is the new reality wit the transfer portal.

I would think Beard would want to stay in B10 to get some revenge.
Michigan (NIL) can throw the money at Beard they used for Nick Suriano.
That worked out very well for them

Hey, we all can dream and put him in our lineup.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT