ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

We are doing everything possible. He has been at our matches so he knows the atmosphere
We need some really big guys for Mullen to work out with. Do we have a resident athlete who is a heavyweight? It was clear last year that Boone did not have workout partners that can prepare him to wrestle the big guys. Martin is not big enough to provide the feel of a heavyweight.

We need some really big guys for Mullen to work out with. Do we have a resident athlete who is a heavyweight? It was clear last year that Boone did not have workout partners that can prepare him to wrestle the big guys. Martin is not big enough to provide the feel of a heavyweight.
Don’t we have like 6 hwt on roster rn? Plus Casale is coming in and him and Mullen are boys

Different, yes, but each serves an elite interest. If he decides wrestling is the priority, he is likely to choose a wrestling powerhouse like OSU. West Point is indeed very prestigious. He'll have elite choices when he decides his priority. SCNJ thinks it just means he wants to go to college - what a dummy.
He visited North Carolina as well

Former top recruit Kyonte Hamilton, incoming top recruit and potential heavyweight and close friend PJ Casale, former JUCO national champ Boone McDermott are all on the roster. Myles Martin is with SKWC and probably weighs at least 190-200 if he’s not training for an event

See Poz is here at War at the Shore. May be helping Yale St. but doing some recruiting too, I’d bet.

It’s a nice pickup for sure as he had some great wins last year over Micky Phillippi, Kai Orine, Brian Courtney, Cody Russell, etc. but damn we have quite a logjam at 133/141 which hopefully doesn’t mean we are losing someone.

Ideally the lower weights looks something like this:

125 - Shawver/Peterson
133 - Peterson/Raimo
141 - Heilmann
149 - Alvarez
157 - White

I’m guessing the plan is to redshirt Oliveri

Gives us a nice logjam at 133/141
Hopefully allows someone to redshirt.

It’s a nice pickup for sure as he had some great wins last year over Micky Phillippi, Kai Orine, Brian Courtney, Cody Russell, etc. but damn we have quite a logjam at 133/141 which hopefully doesn’t mean we are losing someone.

Ideally the lower weights looks something like this:

125 - Shawver/Peterson
133 - Peterson/Raimo
141 - Heilmann
149 - Alvarez
157 - White

I’m guessing the plan is to redshirt Oliveri

Heilman 133
141 Alvarez
149 White

Where’s Peterson
Looks like Heilmann has 2 years of eligibility left and you can never have enough quality wrestlers in the room, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some transfer and graduate in those first 4 or 5 weight classes. Is Peterson going 125 or 133? Is Alvarez staying, and if so, is he going 141 or 149? Will Olivieri redshirt this season? Gapas, Benner and Robinson have completed 4 years so they could graduate and move on or be done.

125 Shawver/Peterson?/Messina
133 Olivieri/Peterson?/Heilmann/Raimo/Britton/Robinson
141 Alvarez/Garcia
149 White/Gapas/Benner

Raimo already redshirted at ASU
Correct. Even if he can't RS, he likely has 4 years of eligibility left anyway.

- 2019-20 RS
- 2020-21 wrestled 2 matches at ASU during the free year
- 2021-22 guessing he gets a medical RS

Thats a pretty good pick up for UNC but he Never won a NJ title and was beat by a Rider recruit in final..Rutgers probably didnt have much interest in putting him on a big scholarship. North Carolina probably offered him a decent package
Fea was the guy to beat during his youth wrestling days but has relied to much on strength over the years. Not convinced he ever becomes an AA at UNC.

Losing Mays who has beaten Fea and the California kid we got to Rider is the bigger head scratcher. My hope is Rider outbid us because we have the scholarship tagged for Lorenzo Norman in a year.

Losing Mays who has beaten Fea and the California kid we got to Rider is the bigger head scratcher. My hope is Rider outbid us because we have the scholarship tagged for Lorenzo Norman in a year.
I’m guessing academics the issue with Mays because he’s a beast.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don’t really blame rutgers on that one. Mays was a nobody his first two years of high school and nobody really knew him heading into states his junior year. He’s an absolute savage now but it’s not like the entire college wrestling world saw him coming from a mile away.

I don’t really blame rutgers on that one. Mays was a nobody his first two years of high school and nobody really knew him heading into states his junior year. He’s an absolute savage now but it’s not like the entire college wrestling world saw him coming from a mile away.
Mays wrestled in PA his freshman and sophmore year for Conwell Egan....he was well known, went 37-5 as a soph won his PA district and 2nd region but dnp at states.

Reactions: MS-RU
Mays wrestled in PA his freshman and sophmore year for Conwell Egan....he was well known, went 37-5 as a soph won his PA district and 2nd region but dnp at states.
Was he on the radar of D1 teams at the time though? I remember him being a complete surprise as he ran through states as a junior.

Was he on the radar of D1 teams at the time though? I remember him being a complete surprise as he ran through states as a junior.
He was well known as a very good wrestler...he left because was worried the Phil Catholic league was not going to allow winter sports due to covid. He looked at about 3 different NJ schools till he picked Howell(public school in name only) and joined the team.

Mays committed last year and was probably highly influenced by Jason Nase who was a former Rider Assistant coach and then became a Howell Assistant HS coach with Mays...IMO he'll be in transfer portal pretty soon because his HS Team had better crowds and more fans then Rider will ever sniff and what good College Wrestler would want to stay at a HS atmosphere unless they struggle academically..Has anybody ever visited the Rider Campus and HS gym? What a Dump!

Last edited:
Mays committed last year and was probably highly influenced by Jason Nase who was a Rider coach and then a Howell HS coach with Mays...IMO he'll be in transfer portal pretty soon because his HS Team had better crowds and more fans then Rider will ever sniff and what good College Wrestler would want to stay at a Junior College/HS atmosphere
Yeah Howell packs'em in. I live here in town and go to a couple matches a year. Really me and a couple friends in town use wrestling and football to escape from the wives just for a few hours. My interest in high school wrestling and football severely diminished after college.

Isn't this ideally what we want? Competition at every slot to raise the overall level of performance up and down the lineup?
Ideally, we want all Americans and Yeah, on paper just grabbing as much talent as possible sounds good. I do think roster management(near and far future) and scholarship allocation matters tho..

There is a percentage of the roster competing this weekend at the event via the link above. I'm glad to see our staff creating opportunities for our guys to develop and get mat time.

Who are we excited to watch wrestle most?

There is a percentage of the roster competing this weekend at the event via the link above. I'm glad to see our staff creating opportunities for our guys to develop and get mat time.

Who are we excited to watch wrestle most?
Definitely excited to see:

Peterson - 57kg (126lbs)
Alvarez - 65kg (143lbs)
Clark - 70kg (155lbs)
White - 70kg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT