ADVERTISEMENT

Reports that Urban Meyer lied about not knowing abuse allegations against assistant / Now On Leave

Pressure starting to mount. National news now picking up the story. Just saw ABC World News Tonight with an interview from Smith saying Urban knew.

Pressure starting to mount. National news now picking up the story. Just saw ABC World News Tonight with an interview from Smith saying Urban knew.
Urban says he knew.

From the letter he tweeted today:
“Here is the truth: While at the University of Florida, and now at The Ohio State University, I have always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels,” Urban Meyer wrote. “And, I did so regarding the Zach Smith incident in 2015. I take that responsibility very seriously and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false.”

He says he reported it in 2015. If that's correct, he's fine. The guy wasn't arrested in 2015 and no charges were filed. I'm not sure they would have been able to fire him then and any other action (Counseling, anger management and so forth) would be completely confidential.

That sounds like he's saying he did report but wasn't prepared for the questions and was flustered about how to respond. As mentioned above, I don't recall or I don't want to go into details at the moment are good canned responses until you're ready.

That be the case I don't know if just misleading/lying to the media on a sensitive matter is particularly fireable for cause if he's done everything else correctly with regards to reporting it.
This. It’s smart business not to talk about people’s personal lives from the podium.
Hes gonna skate, probably get a few game suspension. Who do they have week 3?

By the way, title IX does does not require gender equity, it’s a non-discrimination statute. It is possible, and not unusual, to have an athletics program that is not equitable but still in compliance with the law.

It’s also possible under title IX, that Myers’ wife is a mandated reporter since she is a university employee and should have informed a competent authority at Ohio State with the information she received from Smith’s wife.

Urban says he knew.

From the letter he tweeted today:
“Here is the truth: While at the University of Florida, and now at The Ohio State University, I have always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels,” Urban Meyer wrote. “And, I did so regarding the Zach Smith incident in 2015. I take that responsibility very seriously and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false.”

He says he reported it in 2015. If that's correct, he's fine. The guy wasn't arrested in 2015 and no charges were filed. I'm not sure they would have been able to fire him then and any other action (Counseling, anger management and so forth) would be completely confidential.
He also admitted he has lied pubicly twice recently. The cover up is always worse than the crime. Nobody has learned anything since Watergate.

Oh that isn't good. The mea cupla to save your job.
Doesn't look good for Meyer, not saying he's right or wrong. but I just love espn. Let's get a comment from mr SEC Paul Finebaum about one of the few teams that stands between his
team (Alabama) and another National Championship.No unbiased reporting with that guy.They should not have someone's opinion on there who has something to gain by the outcome. Can't stand espin.

Thank you.

It's been a long time. i'm old.

Don't fret, GOR is in the same place, thinking the game at WVU was played in your backyard (Morganville) and I can't quite remember if you live in Morganville, Englishtown or Freehold, lol. Having been at that triple overtimer, though, I did remember it was Townsend. Such a shame we lost that game, between the drop and the missed call on the fumble.

Good article from SI's legal analyst. If it's corroborated that Meyer reported the 2015 incident, then it starts to look more like the University may have failed in its investigation and that Meyer is only "guilty" of being misleading in an interview, which is not a fireable offense. Doesn't mean that he couldn't have done more, but at least legally, it probably gets him off the hook and makes it hard for OSU to fire for cause and not pay him the $38MM left on his contract. This was a very carefully worded letter, drafted, I'm sure, by his lawyer.

https://www.si.com/college-football...-state-buckeye-nation-letter-public-relations

This. It’s smart business not to talk about people’s personal lives from the podium.
Hes gonna skate, probably get a few game suspension. Who do they have week 3?
Does it matter? They have depth at all positions.

Oh no not the National news ! They are reporting this now? It’s over lol

Reactions: RUonBrain
Doesn't look good for Meyer, not saying he's right or wrong. but I just love espn. Let's get a comment from mr SEC Paul Finebaum about one of the few teams that stands between his
team (Alabama) and another National Championship.No unbiased reporting with that guy.They should not have someone's opinion on there who has something to gain by the outcome. Can't stand espin.
It’s like asking cnn about our President. Dont pay attention to ESPN. I stopped watching years ago.

"Screwed over"?

As in "Shawn Tucker dropped the ball"? (It was Tucker, right?)
So, you don't know what I am talking about.. and if you knew the correct receiver who dropped the pass it would help your case.

That Slaton fumble that was whistled dead after-the-fact... that would have killed them and there would have been no need for that dropped TD pass. And then in the final OT, Rice was interfered with clearly. We got screwed multiple ways in that game.

But the more salient point in terms of my response to GS not winning the Big East was that he clearly put together a team good enough for that as well as a BCS game. The very idea that he could be criticized for not actually getting it done.. after where Rutgers football was for decades.. no one thinking it was even possible to challenge for a Big East title.. ridiculous that such a criticism is even attempted.

Look at this S-L story from 2016.. no mention of the fumble/TD there either.

Last edited:
Finebaum is actually a Tennessee guy.. but from his actions you can see he is an SEC first guy and that means Alabama. I was shocked to learn that during the Vols-Schiano thing... Finebaum is a Vol.. figures.

So, you don't know what I am talking about.. and if you knew the correct receiver who dropped the pass it would help your case.

That Slaton fumble that was whistled dead after-the-fact... that would have killed them and there would have been no need for that dropped TD pass. And then in the final OT, Rice was interfered with clearly. We got screwed multiple ways in that game.

But the more salient point in terms of my response to GS not winning the Big East was that he clearly put together a team good enough for that as well as a BCS game. The very idea that he could be criticized for not actually getting it done.. after where Rutgers football was for decades.. no one thinking it was even possible to challenge for a Big East title.. ridiculous that such a criticism is even attempted.

But then what happened? As good as that team was, Greg went 500 in conference from 2006 until he left.

But then what happened? As good as that team was, Greg went 500 in conference from 2006 until he left.
Well.. people paying attention saw that results paired pretty well with recruiting ups and downs. GS had a nice honeymoon recruiting period but had to fight rumors of the conference's demise churned out by ESPN, Rutgers Terry Shea history.. his own lopsided results as he trained his defense and didn't care about the scores.. a disappointing 2004 due to a drunk driver taking out our secondary depth.. until GS made us a regular bowl team recruiting was very up and down with a limit to how high "up" could be. GS did great.

Nice post. A lot of the people on this board don't understand this. I know the guy rubbed some people the wrong way, but fair is fair.
He put them in position to get it done.
Ball didn't bounce our way what can you do?
The really frustrating part is that if he had stayed with that staff. You would think he would have had the opportunity to play for the BE championship again. Maybe even on a regular basis. We'll never know.

Not disagreeing with your points, but just to be factual, at one point Sandusky was recruited very hard by Temple to be their HC and was seriously considering taking the position. It was Paterno himself who talked him out of taking the job.

Just to clarify, the reason Jerry gave for turning down jobs at Temple and MD was because he was devoted to his Second Mile charity. Paterno had nothing to do with it.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/shower_incident_didnt_end_sand.html

Just to clarify, the reason Jerry gave for turning down jobs at Temple and MD was because he was devoted to his Second Mile charity. Paterno had nothing to do with it.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/shower_incident_didnt_end_sand.html

There was no way Paterno could let him go anywhere. Sandusky was a pedophile and Joe knew it. He had to keep Sandusky at PS so he (Joe) could stay on top of the story. Had Sandusky laft he would have taken his charity with him and continued his behavior. Once caught the story would wind it's way back to PS. The moment Joe decided not to turn him over to the police and have Sandusky thrown in jail he started a cover up that he needed to control.

There was no way Paterno could let him go anywhere. Sandusky was a pedophile and Joe knew it. He had to keep Sandusky at PS so he (Joe) could stay on top of the story. Had Sandusky laft he would have taken his charity with him and continued his behavior. Once caught the story would wind it's way back to PS. The moment Joe decided not to turn him over to the police and have Sandusky thrown in jail he started a cover up that he needed to control.
It wasn't just the 1998 incident that had Paterno keep Sandusky from going amywhere but retirement, it was all the payouts since the 70s that Paterno feard exposed if Sandusky went somewhere where he wouldn't be protected like he ws in Happy Valley .
Retiring to be more involved with 3 Mile was just a spin.
After the 1998incident and the long time payoffs, Paterno had enough of that pervert, told him to get out and not take a position at any other school.
Having Sandusky use 3 Mile as the reason.
to keep the truth from coming out

It wasn't just the 1998 incident that had Paterno keep Sandusky from going amywhere but retirement, it was all the payouts since the 70s that Paterno feard exposed if Sandusky went somewhere where he wouldn't be protected like he ws in Happy Valley .
Retiring to be more involved with 3 Mile was just a spin.
After the 1998incident and the long time payoffs, Paterno had enough of that pervert, told him to get out and not take a position at any other school.
Having Sandusky use 3 Mile as the reason.
to keep the truth from coming out

Absolutely true. There is no sensible reason for keeping an assistant football coach (I don't care how good a coach he was or how close he and JoPa were) around for decades and making him a "coach emeritus" in a do nothing role. UNlESS, your intent was to keep the story in your control. Letting him go would have meant once he got caught in a new location any investigation would have led straight back to PSU and the cat would be out of the bag.

If he did report him and he can prove it then he is in the clear.

Someone is getting fired.

Paterno reported (with less evidence) as required and no one here cleared him. I think some of the statements have included:

-most powerful man at the school
-knew everything going on there
-had a moral obligation to do more

It either all applies to Meyer or you think Joe got railroaded. Take your pick.

Dj1CKU-U4AABxuA

Last edited:
Paterno reported (with less evidence) as required and no one here cleared him. I think some of the statements have included:

Dj1CKU-U4AABxuA

Let me use small words:

Joe Knew for four decades. 30+ boys got raped. He engaged in a conspiracy to cover it up.

He is burning in the Seventh Circle of he11 forever.

Now crawl back under your rock.

Dj1CKU-U4AABxuA
One has nothing to with the other. What part of title 9 do you not understand?

As far as Penn State goes NOTHING will ever make covering up Child Rape for decades ok.

Let me use small words:

Joe Knew for four decades. 30+ boys got raped. He engaged in a conspiracy to cover it up.

He is burning in the Seventh Circle of he11 forever.

Now crawl back under your rock.

Proof? Feel free to post some.

Anyway back on topic. If Urbans spiritual advisor actually talked her out of pressing charges in 09 and there is proof, doesn’t matter what he did afterwards. He should be out.

This is going how most of these scandals go.

First, shock and despair from OSU faithful. How could this happen at OSU?

Then anger as it becomes painfully aware that their beloved coach might have to pay some significant consequences.

Then comes bitterness and "slut" shaming as they subtly shift to making Meyer and even Zach Smith the victims here and that Smith's wife is really the issue. All to defend the honor of their football program and head coach.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT