ADVERTISEMENT

RHJ at the high /mid post

Shell21

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2004
The other threads about our offense got me to thinking about how RHJ is being used early in the year .

We have mainly seen him on the perimeter and a little bit in the high post on some horns sets . I would love for him to utilize the high and mid post against bigger players and attack them off the dribble or if a smaller guy is on him, shoot over him or even bring him down into the low post and bully him . I feel like he’s been too much on the perimeter and his game can be much more . Now maybe he isn’t there yet with his high abs mid post game but this should be a staple of our offense .

I think RHJ could be a poor mans Carmelo Anthony , not by how the ball stuck in his hands but in his midrange game . Melo would constantly shoot over smalls and drive by bigs in the mid post . I think we need to incorporate more of RHJ at different spots on floor to take advantage of his versatility.

also , as a high school hoops coach I know that we can only put in so much offense at the beginning of the year because kids can’t process all of it . We gradually add throughout the year . Obviously these are high major kids but maybe we will see a lot more as the year goes on in terms of sets and flow

Reactions: Rutgers36
Interesting analysis. I think we will see new wrinkles as the season progresses for the reason you mention. I agree with Pikiell that we have many players that can play multiple positions and bring a versatility that we haven't had before.

There was a possession in the 2nd half where Drexel went zone after a timeout and we got an open look from Mathis, but he decided to try and drive, shuffled his feet into a travel.....Harper was at the high post in that possession.

Then after a break, Pike tried to add Mulcahy to the lineup after a stoppage and was too late....I think it was to get Mulcahy into the FT high post and let Harper get to a wing with Baker.

If Mulcahy takes that FT shot, the other pieces open up....if Harper takes that shot, it's probably better than him taking a 3.

Drexel did a good job mixing up defensively and I felt helped prepare RU for games where things aren't going to be easy. And that also means figuring out how to get Harper open looks vs zone.

Reactions: RUHouston
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT