ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals problem (Ongoing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you certain the mods cannot block specific IPs? That's an extremely basic feature of every forum software product I've ever seen (and I've seen a bunch). I gotta think it's a feature of XenForo.

Actually I'm not sure, so I'm hoping a mod can chime in to confirm or deny. I only glanced at the thread complaining about the weirdo harassing people and remember a mod admitting they were pretty much powerless.

Actually I'm not sure, so I'm hoping a mod can chime in to confirm or deny. I only glanced at the thread complaining about the weirdo harassing people and remember a mod admitting they were pretty much powerless.
I think probably it's due to the troll using a VPN, but would need a mod to confirm that.

However, your theory that server filtering is the cause is still absolutely a valid hypothesis. I had the same theory and posted that early on in the thread.

Reactions: redking
I don't know if people who are having the issue would want to post their external ip addresses, when they are using their problem isp. This way we could see any commonality.

Is this issue no longer a hot topic? Still can’t access website on home Wifi?

GO RU
Still an issue for me. Rivals and other yahoo-hosted sites still require vpn or cellular data to browese over http/s.

Thought this thread got moved to the round table, and renamed. Must be a different thread that was started there. @DJ Spanky, you referenced me from that thread, but I can’t see it (without being unethical).

Haven’t had the opportunity to shut down both gateway and router for a period that might cause IP change.

Day 19 of the Yahoo/Rivals hostage crisis...Still not working.... When will it end...
It’s an actual joke at this point. If I didn’t pay for VPN all year round anyway, I’d be long gone.

Although, maybe I would not have been able to connect to cancel my membership, lol. Brilliant move, Rivals/yahoo. You are the Roach Hotel California of websites. Checkmate.

Interestingly enough, after weeks of not working and only being able to access through ATT Cell Service ..... its working ok for me today on Xfinity Wifi.

Reactions: Leonard23
Thought this thread got moved to the round table, and renamed. Must be a different thread that was started there. @DJ Spanky, you referenced me from that thread, but I can’t see it (without being unethical).

My bad, was replying to quote of another post of mine and didn't realize it was the RT thread. Nothing important (and, no, there's no solution in that thread either), here's the quote trail:

Have any of you tried a technician's slap? Gotta let those devices know who's boss!
Sometimes throwing a bucket of cold water works but likely not advisable here. But better than kicking one's dog I suppose.

ETA: no animals were harmed in the typing of this post
Just remember, @mildone considers making sweet love to an animal as not harming them.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
My bad, was replying to quote of another post of mine and didn't realize it was the RT thread. Nothing important (and, no, there's no solution in that thread either), here's the quote trail:
Only when they fully consent, which only sheep ever do.

Rivals tech just reached out to me so let’s see if we can get a resolution
If they want to PM me here, I can give them some technical details. And can be a knowledgeable Guinea pig, if they want. But the best guess is filtering gone awry,

New update:

1. I shutdown and disconnected my fiber gateway and my separate router for over 6 hours. Unfortunately, this did not cause my ISP to assign a new IP address. So no change in behavior.

2. As of today, I can no longer browse to rivals.com over my cellular data provider either. Not from an android phone or ios ipad. On the phone, I get ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error, and the connection is interrupted. Which is slightly more informative than the generic "page could not be loaded" error on other devices.

3. VPN still works (for now).

My initial conclusion is that the problem has worsened. Be interested to see if others are still able to connect via cellular data plan.

New update:

1. I shutdown and disconnected my fiber gateway and my separate router for over 6 hours. Unfortunately, this did not cause my ISP to assign a new IP address. So no change in behavior.

2. As of today, I can no longer browse to rivals.com over my cellular data provider either. Not from an android phone or ios ipad. On the phone, I get ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error, and the connection is interrupted. Which is slightly more informative than the generic "page could not be loaded" error on other devices.

3. VPN still works (for now).

My initial conclusion is that the problem has worsened. Be interested to see if others are still able to connect via cellular data plan.
Still no Rivals access on home Wi-Fi (Verizon) but can still get on cellular.

GO RU

I was able to access the site at my sons residence using his WiFi on my iPhone but still unable to connect via WiFi at my residence.

Reactions: satnom
Cellular data access is back to working for me again. Wonder if Yahoo tech support tried something that didn't work and that's what broke it for a brief period when I experienced the problem (over cellular) earlier.

Still no access via landline ISP though.

Cellular data access is back to working for me again. Wonder if Yahoo tech support tried something that didn't work and that's what broke it for a brief period when I experienced the problem (over cellular) earlier.

Still no access via landline ISP though.
I think I saw in the Premium thread that Tango was going on with a Yahoo tech...not sure if it was today but others volunteered as well.

I would guess this will be one of those tech problems that's resolved with less than one man-hour of work by some yahoo IT person. The trick is usually getting the right IT person's attention focused on the problem. That can often take weeks or more to accomplish.

The fact that I couldn't even get in via my cellular data provider for a brief period yesterday, combined with the knowledge that some tech had reached out to a mod to work with him on it, might indicate that efforts are finally underway by yahoo.

And we know this is a yahoo issue since it affects other yahoo websites besides rivals.com.

Update from tech:

Thanks for the info, we suspect the ISP is being blocked by one of the edge CDNs above Rivals, I've got someone scanning logs and checking the block lists for what we have control over. Good to know this appears to be common to Verizon FIOS, though it could also mean they're blocking on their end which we have less control over. I should know more by tomorrow. Appreciate the help!

Reactions: satnom
Update from tech:

Thanks for the info, we suspect the ISP is being blocked by one of the edge CDNs above Rivals, I've got someone scanning logs and checking the block lists for what we have control over. Good to know this appears to be common to Verizon FIOS, though it could also mean they're blocking on their end which we have less control over. I should know more by tomorrow. Appreciate the help!
It not just Verizon, my optimum wi-fi still isn’t working.

The problem has been reported by people using Verizon, Optimum/Altice, and Xfinity. Both fiber and cable. Nobody has reported any problem while using their cellular data plan.

We can ping the websites, and can tracert to them. But we can browse to them via http or https.

And we are experiencing the same issue with other yahoo hosted websites, listed in an earlier post in the thread. Not just rivals.

Reactions: Leonard23
The problem has been reported by people using Verizon, Optimum/Altice, and Xfinity. Both fiber and cable. Nobody has reported any problem while using their cellular data plan.

We can ping the websites, and can tracert to them. But we can browse to them via http or https.

And we are experiencing the same issue with other yahoo hosted websites, listed in an earlier post in the thread. Not just rivals.
Interesting enough, with my Verizon, never had any issue on anything else but rivals.

Update from tech:

Same here
So did tech half ignore you that they mentioned Fios when you have Optimum and others have the issue with Xfinity as well? And it's plenty of other Yahoo sites too.

Update from tech:

It not just Verizon, my optimum wi-fi still isn’t working.
Just throwing it out there- maybe it has something to to do with the router?

Anyone also using a wifi extender like Google Nest?

On Verizon here, no problems at all.

Not an issue with personal routers, to many people having the same issue with different providers

I have Verizon FIOS. No extender. No access to Rivals sites.

GO RU

Using a router and extender, and have no issue with Optimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT