ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rob Smith Out as DC

I for one am very happy this is done. Didnt think he was great the first time around these parts

The Temple situation had nothing to do with this, and Fran obviously still would have taken a HC job over a DC move. As it turns out, though, Fran was never the Owls' choice, the covert push from his camp to Football Scoop notwithstanding.

I suppose he's got a shot at Rutgers DC but it's a lot more than just recruiting, which is where his value seems to mostly reside. It'll be a pretty good indicator that they value this (which is fine; he's a remarkably good recruiter) much more than his actual coaching if they make him a co-DC with someone else. That's how Temple had previously justified his high-for-an-assitant salary before he fled Rod Carey.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I don’t think Fran Brown and his decision on temple is related to this move. Temple because of his prior ties was a unique opportunity that he needed to explore. They went in a different direction and perhaps somebody dropped his name to help Drayton make a decision. I don’t see hgetting other HC looks at that level until we make a lot more progress record wise.

Someone above mentioned Larry Johnson and why he has not been a DC. Maybe he doesn’t want or need the job. He gets paid very well as DL coach who is a huge asset in recruiting. Same with Fran. If Greg thinks he is ready to be the DC then maybe it happens but he was already making more than Smith so this is not a money issue. He is getting paid for his value which is his ability to recruit just as much as his on field coaching.

We need to find the best DC we can to develop guys. Hopefully that will be attractive to potential recruits

not DC, but Darnell Stapleton is the assistant OL coach for Louisiana. He'd probably be an excellent recruiter here.

Stapleton went to U of Florida with Napier. The new Gators HC is using the same staff structure as he did at Louisiana with 2 full-time OL coaches among the full-time on field assistants. It's unconventional but it works because he doesn't have a traditional QB coach on staff nor does the OC double as one.

That seems like a pretty comprehensive list of options, does it not @rutgersguy1?

I would like to know the extent to which GSII has allowed our DC to take the reins on the D so far. And, if he's been micromanaging Smith, how much GS would be willing, or could learn, to allow the new DC hire to take the reins.

At this stage of the rebuild, I'd probably lean towards the best possible recruiter because (a) recruiting is challenging for RU at the moment, and will likely be even more so after 2022, and (b) because I suspect GS is unable to avoid micromanaging whoever the DC is anyway, so why focus on DC skills versus recruiting skills, especially when a really good DC will chafe under micromanagement.

Two questions -

1) How is this received (or, how will this be received) by the players and recruits? Was Smith highly-regarded?

2) Is this a loss, in any capacity, defense-wise? In some of our games, the defense was able to produce. In others, especially those games against the B1G-ger teams in the leagues, our D looked lost.
Not to worry.Robb is leaving, not Greg.

• Haha
Reactions: Rufaninga
That seems like a pretty comprehensive list of options, does it not @rutgersguy1?

I would like to know the extent to which GSII has allowed our DC to take the reins on the D so far. And, if he's been micromanaging Smith, how much GS would be willing, or could learn, to allow the new DC hire to take the reins.

At this stage of the rebuild, I'd probably lean towards the best possible recruiter because (a) recruiting is challenging for RU at the moment, and will likely be even more so after 2022, and (b) because I suspect GS is unable to avoid micromanaging whoever the DC is anyway, so why focus on DC skills versus recruiting skills, especially when a really good DC will chafe under micromanagement.
Most seem like recruiters like you said. Maybe they could be coordinators too, I don't know. I do agree with you though with GS being a defensive coach, coaching credentials might not be as necessary. I hope he does micromanage the D because I wonder what the hell happened to the offense this year compared to last year. If he's on the D, he might not fiddle around with the O. I figured Fraser might get it too but who knows.

Lukabu might be the best coordinator out of the bunch on the list cause of the experience but I don't know how BC's defense did these last couple years. Personally, I'd wonder if there was anyone on Wisconsin's position coach staff that might be worth a shot or Baylor's. Aranda was the mentor to Leonhard for year there and of course he's the coach at Baylor so anyone with roots to him I'd wonder if they could be good. It's not likely though. Most coaches hire guys they've worked with before in some form or another. Even Elko took Smith because of their 1 year at A&M and Ash same with Buh.

Reactions: mildone
If we want to compete with the big boys we’re really going to have to go out and hire someone similar to E Robinson as a DC, this would send a message to players nationwide we are in it to win it otherwise we go the same route we always go , low budget hire an up and coming coach as a DC which would need to learn GS’s system, 50/50 chance it works out.

The Temple situation had nothing to do with this, and Fran obviously still would have taken a HC job over a DC move. As it turns out, though, Fran was never the Owls' choice, the covert push from his camp to Football Scoop notwithstanding.

I suppose he's got a shot at Rutgers DC but it's a lot more than just recruiting, which is where his value seems to mostly reside. It'll be a pretty good indicator that they value this (which is fine; he's a remarkably good recruiter) much more than his actual coaching if they make him a co-DC with someone else. That's how Temple had previously justified his high-for-an-assitant salary before he fled Rod Carey.
I had heard that the Texas guy was their first, second, and third choice.

I went to high school with him and his sister. IIRC their father was a high ranking Congolese diplomat who may or may not have been assassinated.
Is he related to the Lukabu from Colonia that played for schiano early 2000s ? Pianu I think he was booted off the team.

Elko is going to recruit NJ hard, this will be familiar territory with Smith hiring.

One article I read mentioned the Syracuse DC. He is originally from Queens. His defense was ranked 20th in the nation.

If we want to compete with the big boys we’re really going to have to go out and hire someone similar to E Robinson as a DC, this would send a message to players nationwide we are in it to win it otherwise we go the same route we always go , low budget hire an up and coming coach as a DC which would need to learn GS’s system, 50/50 chance it works out.
Robinson is that up and coming coach. He's certainly no proven DC.

What’s the deal with Larry Johnson at OSU? Is he in line for a Head coach gig?

im alwyas surprised he hasn’t Gotten full DC at OSU or a head coach job elsewhere
He is pretty old and will retire in a few years. Nothing wrong with sticking with something you love especially when you are paid a lot to do it, 1.13 million per year for a position coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT