ADVERTISEMENT

RU basketball question about 15 years ago

Jul 31, 2005
With Mawot Mag's injury leading to his transfer, it reminded me that around 15 years ago Greg Echenique got an eye injury and then transferred. I can't quite remember Greg's playing status his last year at RU. Did Echenique sit out many games in his final year and were RU fans unsure for several games whether he'd play similar to how the end of this past season played out with Mag?

With Mawot Mag's injury leading to his transfer, it reminded me that around 15 years ago Greg Echenique got an eye injury and then transferred. I can't quite remember Greg's playing status his last year at RU. Did Echenique sit out many games in his final year and were RU fans unsure for several games whether he'd play similar to how the end of this past season played out with Mag?
Echinique only played 7 games as a sophomore after starting all but 2 games as a freshman. Don’t recall it being at all similar to the Mag guessing game this year. But seemed there was something unusual that led to his transfer related to his frustration with treatment or response by the RU medical staff. Perhaps someone else can verify or fill in the details.

I'm not going to research it. But from memory, I never had the impression that Echinique was milking the injury because he planned on transferring.

Echenique and his family were not happy with the medical treatment he was getting for his eye injury. That led to his transfer
It was very reminiscent of the way Trent Williams left the Redskins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT