ADVERTISEMENT

RU season ticket holders selling to Ohio State fans

My man never not once did I ever sell my unused tickets to an opposing teams fanbase. I was offered lots of $$ and could have paid my whole season package including my seat donations selling 1 game a yr once we got to B1G. I know a number of people that sell their tickets for that reason. I know people that have purchased season tickets as investments to sell the tickets every game. It was a cheap investment with chance to turn pretty decent profits. I either ate the tickets, gave them away or sold them for face to RU fans. Many times surrounded by opposing teams fans in my section. I have brought opposing fans to games due to personal connection. My wife's boss went to UM brought him to 1st UM game (great game to do so) . He also brought me to the Big House. My 2 closest friends at work are a UM fan ( his son went to RU) and an OSU fan. Have brought them a number of times as they are both fans of RU as a 2nd team
That's good for you. But not fair to judge the typical RU season ticket holder. Vast majority are long time RU supporters who attend most games. If they want to sell tix for a game they cannot or choose not to attend then so be it. It's up to RU to get consistently good and market the program so people want to come and support RU. And part of my point here was this: why should a season ticket holder not sell their tix on stub or geek when Rutgers is perfectly willing to sell sideline seats directly to the visiting fans and also via seat geek. RU is absolutely selling to the enemy every day via both methods. Don't blame the fans who support the progrm when the mother ship is leading the charge.

Prior to 2014 I had no problem giving extra tickets to RU fans or finding someone to come to a game. Since 2015 I can’t give away my tickets. My tailgating group actually significantly decreased in size from 2016 to 2022. 2023 is the first year the group is starting to grow again.

Tickets, parking, RFund, NIL all cost money and if you can’t make a game I don’t blame anyone for selling on the open market.

Team needs to keep getting better and it will build the fan base up.

I am in 106. This happens every game against a name brand. I think the school hasn’t sold a lot of these tickets as season tickets yet.

There were a lot of Ohio fans but I will say they were pretty quiet and quite respectful at least the ones around me. Probably the best behaved opposing fans I’ve seen. Maybe it was just by chance who was around me.
Was just going to comment the same thing. The OSU fans around us were great. Considerate and well behaved. We had good interactions with them. I was surprised but not surprised since I work with a lot of OSU grads/fans at work (at a Cincinnati area office). They know I am the Rutgers guy but they all tell me there are rooting for us. That is a big difference to all the Michigan fans I used to work with.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Good seeing you at the tailgate.

Likewise! Hope you were able to catch up on your sleep with the time change last night.
5V6RYAJ.gif

I bought seats behind the Rutgers bench from likely a Penn State season ticket holder. Did the same for Michigan and Wisconsin games.

Dear god, al, I hope you weren't singing to our players during the game!

Was just going to comment the same thing. The OSU fans around us were great. Considerate and well behaved. We had good interactions with them.

Actually for the most part it was the same with us, although farther down the row there was a younger group who got obnoxious once or twice, but no biggie with that. Not like last year's Nebraska game, perhaps the worst game our group has had to endure in our seats ever.

This is a ridiculous thread. RU fans won't buy the tickets. They won't even take them for free. It's not on OSU fans, and it's not on the sellers. This is on RU for putting out a product for the last 8 years that has decimated the fan base to the point where you cannot get them to attend a game vs #1 for free.
When you say “RU fans” here, did you mean to say “local NJ college sports fans” or “local folks who have casual interest in Rutgers”?

When you say “RU fans” here, did you mean to say “local NJ college sports fans” or “local folks who have casual interest in Rutgers”?
I have a group of friends who range from die hard to casual. Our group was 2 yesterday. Small sample size, but it sounds like we're representative of the larger fanbase.

Reactions: RUInDaBronx
This.

I had 4 tickets available on the ticket exchange board listed 2 days prior at about $25-$35 less than SK.com and Seat Geek and didn’t get a bite.

I legitimately couldn’t make the game and wasn’t looking to eat/give away the tickets and trying hard to get them in Rutgers fans hands.
I knew I was having back surgery and listed mine on our site two whole months early. One potential buyer over two months. One can only do so much.

There were thousands of tickets available from Rutgers on both seat geek and sk.com where anyone could buy them.

I was not able to make NW or VT. I just ate the tickets.

The cost of tickets and everything else- parking, tailgating, time- is so much. Do people really need the money from one game?

Was just going to comment the same thing. The OSU fans around us were great. Considerate and well behaved. We had good interactions with them. I was surprised but not surprised since I work with a lot of OSU grads/fans at work (at a Cincinnati area office). They know I am the Rutgers guy but they all tell me there are rooting for us. That is a big difference to all the Michigan fans I used to work with.
I know some good people that are Michigan fans but as college football fans they are arrogant aholes.

Everyone should be happy that people still buy season tickets.

If they want to sell tickets.. for whatever reason.. to whoever will pay the best price.. that's on Rutgers for not having created a program and atmosphere where season ticket holders would almost NEVER do this.. an environment where there'd be many, many Rutgers fans ready to buy those tickets that a Rutgers season ticket-holder cannot use for any given game.

Accept this and move on and hope it gets better.

Was at the game today and thinking that we were going to have an OSU takeover. Too many for my liking. And a bunch of them were on visitor bench side of the field, how nice of them. But on the bright side, they are buying those $14 dollar beer cans and giving RU revenue you don't get from a Wagner game.
The ones around me were “shocked” at the prices. LOL

Reactions: Armor and Sword
Even for today's game, I had a ticket I could not give away. I'm sure it will get better as the team's performance continues to improve, but I can't even count the number of tickets I've eaten over the years. A lot of the time I go out to the parking lot, have a quick beer, take a leak, and use an extra ticket to re-enter the game. To me, that sucks and I don't blame people for selling their extras. I don't even want to think about adding up how much $ I've wasted over the years leaving seats empty.
Was it posted on this ticket sight

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Nope. I admittedly didn't go to all extremes to give it away. But amongst the people I know personally, nobody had any interest. Besides our core fanbase, pretty much nobody cares about RU football, even we are 6-2 and the #1 team in the country is coming to town. It will get better as we continue to progress.

I really think this is a case of “to each his own.”

I don’t sell my Rutgers tickets because I sit with friends (so I don’t want to have opposing fans in my seats) and the tix don’t cost me much.

Does that make me a good person?

I have sold Jets tickets on StubHub. I didn’t have anyone to go the Eagles game with so I sold them (probably to Eagles fans).

Does that make me a bad person?

Let’s criticize people selling tickets but give a huge pass to 99% who shit on donating to the NIL. The coaches are asking for all to get involved but no let’s talk about how real die hards eat their tickets and never sell them.

Last edited:
Don’t judge. Did you ask if he’s got a job ? An ailing kid ? But reasons don’t matter. Watching the game isn’t as important to him as it is to you. That doesn’t speak to his character. Not your business.
Wrong. Obviously a schmuck trying to score some money and the worst type of “fan”.

I really think this is a case of “to each his own.”

I don’t sell my Rutgers tickets because I sit with friends (so I don’t want to have opposing fans in my seats) and the tix don’t cost me much.

Does that make me a good person?

I have sold Jets tickets on StubHub. I didn’t have anyone to go the Eagles game with so I sold them (probably to Eagles fans).

Does that make me a bad person?
Yes, 2x...one for being a Jet fan and two for helping out an Eagles one. 🙂

Reactions: Scarlet1984
you can donate the ticket(s) to your local police or fire department ...also i heard from someone else you can call the RU ticket office and they can donate the tickets for you on your behalf...(i believe or give you a contact that is looking for donations) . or email your youth football club...

Frankly some people like the ease of selling on the secondary market as opposed on message boards or facebook marketplace. i may be the minority but their ticket their choice...doesnt make them any less a fan..

havent most of us been to a professional sports event where opposing teams are also represented?

The last few yrs of my seats Ash yrs couldnt give my tickets away
you can donate the ticket(s) to your local police or fire department ...also i heard from someone else you can call the RU ticket office and they can donate the tickets for you on your behalf...(i believe or give you a contact that is looking for donations) . or email your youth football club...

Frankly some people like the ease of selling on the secondary market as opposed on message boards or facebook marketplace. i may be the minority but their ticket their choice...doesnt make them any less a fan..

havent most of us been to a professional sports event where opposing teams are also represented?
My brother-in-law retired PD gets great tickets to concerts, sporting events anything by peeps donating to 1st responders. He scored front row in Yankee Dugout twice. Tickets are inthink $15 for up to 4 tickets that's $15 for all 4 tickets combined

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT