ADVERTISEMENT

RU Trying to Schedule Game at Yankee Stadium

I did and you didn't answer my question.

Answer this question. Where are your seats at HPSS, how long have you had them and you would be happy to pay more to give up a home game for really crappy seat at a stadium that at best can seat less than40k??

I did and you didn't answer my question.

Answer this question. Where are your seats at HPSS and you would be happy to pay more to give up a home game for really crappy seat??

Again, you keep implying I'm in favor of it. I'm NOT. Since you asked for a reason, I'll give you one- money. What if the Yankees offer say double what we make for a home sellout? In 5 years from now it wouldn't matter once the full share money rolls in, but if they offer say $7 mil for a game, I think we'd at least stop and think.

Again, I'm not in favor of it. I don't want to set that precedent. I don't want us to be the team that will give up home games if pushed-even for the Meadowlands. If we do it once, I think the league 'heavyweights' will eventually try to push us to keep doing it whenever it benefits them. When the B1G took us, I seriously doubt (or at least sincerely hope not) that mandatory games at Yankee Stadium were part of the deal.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Again, you keep implying I'm in favor of it. I'm NOT. Since you asked for a reason, I'll give you one- money. What if the Yankees offer say double what we make for a home sellout? In 5 years from now it wouldn't matter once the full share money rolls in, but if they offer say $7 mil for a game, I think we'd at least stop and think.

Again, I'm not in favor of it. I don't want to set that precedent. I don't want us to be the team that will give up home games if pushed-even for the Meadowlands. If we do it once, I think the league 'heavyweights' will eventually try to push us to keep doing it whenever it benefits them.

Joe P.

How can they push us?

Again, I'm not in favor of it. I don't want to set that precedent. I don't want us to be the team that will give up home games if pushed.

Joe P.
Your not in favor it but you keep defending it, so yes you're in favor it. There is nothing to defend. And are you are high thinking that the NY Yankees will pay 7 million for it!!
And again, please answer my question. How long have you been a season ticket holder and are you willing to pay more for a crappy seat?

Your not in favor it but you keep defending it, so yes you're in favor it. There is nothing to defend. And are you are high thinking that the NY Yankees will pay 7 million for it!!
And again, please answer my question. How long have you been a season ticket holder and are you willing to pay more for a crappy seat?

2004, Section 130 and no.

I know they won't pay $7 million for it; you asked for a reason and I gave you one.

Joe P.

2004, Section 130 and no.

I know they won't pay $7 million for it; you asked for a reason and I gave you one.

Joe P.
No you gave me a really stupid one which was my point all along. There is NO realistic reason to play at Yankee Stadium

How can they push us?

Just speculation but I think if say OSU or Michigan went to Delaney and kept talking about how sooper dooper awesome it would be to play Rutgers at Yankee Stadium and 'hey, they played (insert B1G team here) in 2017, why not us?', he'd listen.

Joe P.

Just speculation but I think if say OSU or Michigan went to Delaney and kept talking about how sooper dooper awesome it would be to play Rutgers at Yankee Stadium and 'hey, they played (insert B1G team here) in 2017, why not us?', he'd listen.

Joe P.
Super duper??
So that would mean Rutgers could for force Ohio State to play at Progressive Field baseball stadium because it would be super dupper??

No you gave me a really stupid one which was my point all along. There is NO realistic reason to play at Yankee Stadium

I agree that I don't see any strong advantage in playing there. With money, my line of thinking was that I've seem plenty of situations where people overpay greatly for things if they think it'll benefit them (something the Yankees have also been known for, though it's changed up a bit since Hal took over).

Joe P.

Super duper??
So that would mean Rutgers could for force Ohio State to play at Progressive Field baseball stadium because it would be super dupper??

A. We're not OSU.
B. OSU doesn't give up home games
C. Again, it's all hypothetical situations based on a number of different factors. That scenario was something I could see happening if we sold conference home games to the Yankees. I don't want to see that situation happen.

Joe P.

Last edited:
A. We're not OSU.
B. OSU doesn't give up home games
C. Again, it's all hypothetical situations based on a number of different factors

Joe P.
#1.Rutgers was brought into the Big Ten without any deal play any home games away from HPSS.
#2 It's completely stupid to argue that fact
#3 There is zero realistic reasons to think/post otherwise, especially at Yankee Stadium

#1.Rutgers was brought into the Big Ten without any deal play any home games away from HPSS.
#3 There is zero realistic reasons to think/post otherwise, especially at Yankee Stadium

Question- do the Yankees have a history of 'overpaying' (sometimes greatly$ in situations they think will make them even more money?

Joe P.

Not since George died. And they can't come close to selling 50k that Rutgers gets

I probably do still have a bit too much of the 'George 2004-Style Spending' impression of Yankees brass in relation to how it currently is under Hal.

Joe P.

We don't get it??? You thought Rutgers was a good fit for the SEC!
Dude that was out of desperation because I was tired of Rutgers and Maryland waiting on The Big Ten while every other school was running off to The ACC. I even made it clear when I first made that post a few years back. I knew Rutgers and Maryland were a he'll of a pair then as they've been proven today.

Rutgers and Maryland could have made ESPN, The SEC Network, WFAN and ESPN radio a whole lot of money.

Last edited:
Rutgers need to continue to capitalise on every chance it get to market it's brand to five boroughs. Yankee Stadium is the grandest out door stage in the 5 boroughs so that's were Rutgers needs to be at least once a year.

Rutgers need to continue to capitalise on every chance it get to market it's brand to five boroughs. Yankee Stadium is the grandest out door stage in the 5 boroughs so that's were Rutgers needs to be at least once a year.
--------
once every five years, maybe

Neutral site game, fine. No desire to waste a home game there. Field sucks, sightlines suck, tailgating would suck, etc. Only conceivable reason would be if, somehow we were offered a ton of $$ to play there. However, I'd still attend and make the best of it, as that's what I do.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Neutral site game, fine. No desire to waste a home game there. Field sucks, sightlines suck, tailgating would suck, etc. Only conceivable reason would be if, somehow we were offered a ton of $$ to play there. However, I'd still attend and make the best of it, as that's what I do.
--------------
the Yankees offer a lot of money to the teams for the bowl game, presumably because they force their advertisers to buy time for that game.....

they probably cannot charge enough for a mid season game in order to make that game a cash cow for the two teams

at least not on the level of the bowl.... it might be a decent payday, maybe a bit more than a typical home game....

This would be awful. I am paying for my seats on campus. Yankee stadium doesn't have a seat that would TOUCH my seats in Piscataway.

Do it for an away game if anything.... please.... I don't want to buy that crap.

Joe P.

So no.

Hell no.

I will never watch another football game in that place. I would rather be stripped, drenched in honey, staked out in the desert with my eyelids sliced off, and have a jar of fire ants released next to me then attend a football game in baseball stadium.

I will be pretty pissed off if RU schedules a home game there. I would definitely try to sell my tix (although there might not be much of a market for one).

If they a non-home game there, I still wouldn't go, and I still think it sucks (football should be played in a football stadium). But at least a non-home game is tolerable.

I've emailed the AD.

Hell no.

I will never watch another football game in that place. I would rather be stripped, drenched in honey, staked out in the desert with my eyelids sliced off, and have a jar of fire ants released next to me then attend a football game in baseball stadium.

I will be pretty pissed off if RU schedules a home game there. I would definitely try to sell my tix (although there might not be much of a market for one).

If they a non-home game there, I still wouldn't go, and I still think it sucks (football should be played in a football stadium). But at least a non-home game is tolerable.

I've emailed the AD.
On the plus side, that means you don't get a 2nd chance to kill 7 of us by perhaps successfully flipping the Suburban, this time, on the way home...

The Yankees aren't looking for a "relationship" with Rutgers. They're looking for a way to fill their empty stadium in October. Rutgers gains absolutely nothing from this other than a paycheck, an angry fan base, possibly injured players from the horrible turf, and another reason for the Star Liar to slam us when we play home games elsewhere after expanding HPSS.

This is a Syracuse/UConn move. Rutgers doesn't need it.

Wonder if Hobbs feels the extra revenue gained by holding a RU home game at Yankee Stadium outweighs the inconvenience to the RU season ticket-holders by holding game there.
Also Hobbs might be thinking that the national publicity a game at Yankee Stadium would bring to Rutgers and possibly help get more support in the way of donations for the planned facility upgrades.

Not saying it's a good idea, just thinking out loud about why Hobbs might want to do it.

On the plus side, that means you don't get a 2nd chance to kill 7 of us by perhaps successfully flipping the Suburban, this time, on the way home...
Drama queen. Was a tiny little curb. Even if I hadn't cleared with inches to spare, we would've just hopped over it and continued on our merry way.

Suburban; there is no substitute.

I won't like another game at Yankee Stadium but I'll go, again. The team deserves the support. If Hobbs thinks it will benefit the program, well he has a lot more info on it than me or anyone here. The team comes first. If it means I have to pregame at Legends or the Dugout, and watch the game at an odd angle, so be it.

No. We should not be forced to play a home game in Yankee Stadium. Everyone must voice their displeasure to the RUAdministration on this.

Is Maryland forced to play in the Camden Yards baseball stadium ? NO
Is MSU forced to play in the Tigers CoAmerica Park ? NO
Is Penn St. forced to play in Citizens Bank Baseball Park ? NO

Wonder if Hobbs feels the extra revenue gained by holding a RU home game at Yankee Stadium outweighs the inconvenience to the RU season ticket-holders by holding game there.
Also Hobbs might be thinking that the national publicity a game at Yankee Stadium would bring to Rutgers and possibly help get more support in the way of donations for the planned facility upgrades.

Not saying it's a good idea, just thinking out loud about why Hobbs might want to do it.

What national publicity?

Nobody outside of our fanbase cares where we play. And New Yorkers don't give a rats ass about anyone playing in Yankee Stadium (other than the Yankees).

The idea of some benefit to this is pure BS.

Been there. Done that. I'm sure we'll be back for the bowl there again sooner or later. No need for more.

I get the publicity angle. Although, as others have pointed, it's questionable just how significant that would be.

But, for the love of God, can someone please explain where this "extra revenue" from playing at Yankee Stadium is supposed to come from?

Yankee stadium has a seating capacity of 54,251.

Rutgers stadium has a seating capacity of 52,454.

Is the idea to charge much more per seat just for the "privilege" of watching a game at Yankee stadium? Or are the Yankees just going to give Rutgers more money than is typically made at games played at Rutgers? If so, why? On the contrary, wouldn't the Yankees be looking to make money from this themselves? If not, then why do they want a game to be played there?

I get the publicity angle. Although, as others have pointed, it's questionable just how significant that would be.

But, for the love of God, can someone please explain where this "extra revenue" from playing at Yankee Stadium is supposed to come from?

Is the idea to charge much more per seat just for the "privilege" of watching a game at Yankee stadium? Or are the Yankees just going to give Rutgers more money than is typically made at games played at Rutgers? If so, why? On the contrary, wouldn't the Yankees be looking to make money from this themselves? If not, then why do they want a game to be played there?

When we played Army at the Meadowlands, I remember it being reported that we got something like $3 million with the Meadowlands keeping all parking, concessions, etc. I imagine its the same at Yankee Stadium. At the time we were projected to make about $2 mil per home game so it was a boost in order for them to make it worth our while to play there. With the Yankees, I was worried they would offer some astronomical amount that we 'wouldn't refuse' for a big home game, and then a bad precedent gets set.

Joe P.

Actually the Football capacity at Yankee Stadium is lower than the baseball capacity as many lower seats are blocked out due to no view of the football field ( vs. the lousy view from the good seats). So the football attendance at Rutgers at 52,454 is actually higher than Yankee Stadium.

I think Hobbs just didnt have an understaning of how the fanbase thinks of these games...a naive moment for him, he is allowed...one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT