ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs. Washington Playback (Glimmers of potential)

RedChucken123

Sophomore
Oct 21, 2015
So I wasn't able to watch the game live.
I checked the score on the phone and watched brief highlights and read this board afterwards for input. After all the calls for doom and gloom from the pessimists, I figure I look for the game on Youtube, which a lot of times can be found after a while. (I have it embedded below). I watched the whole thing by myself without being biased from optimists (though I consider myself one) or pessimists and I have to say...

As a team, there IS potential and growth.

One of the main things that stood out to me was the improvement in tackling. Missed tackles are one of the most infuriating things to watch and even though we lost pretty bad, our tackling was pretty solid. If you can make tackles, that is a major start and I think it would be interesting to compare yards after catch stats versus last year. The only really bad missed tackle was on the punt return for the TD, which was by Patton playing special teams. He should make that play, but then again he plays offense. Still no excuse, but he'll move on and learn his lesson.

Besides that, our defense was okay. People need to calm down. First game ever for this coaching staff against a quality, veteran coach in Chris Peterson. There were two missed opportunities for interceptions besides the one that Cioffi had. Two of the big plays in the first quarter, we got matched up one-on-on against John Ross, their most dynamic player. It's days like this that we really learn what our team is made of. Now we know, if we come across a guy like Ross, we'll need just a tad bit more help over the top and/or some more DB improvement. We learn from these things. Coach and player, so let's calm down.

Everyone is up in arms over special teams. I don't think it necessarily is the coaching. I think it is our legs. I feel like there is not enough hangtime for our guys to get down the field. Maybe we need to do what Ito used to do and let him run sideways a little before he kicks. Obviously, the strength of kicks is not going to change overnight, so we'll just have to deal with it over the season unfortunately.

The running game. Goodwin improved as the game went on. I agree, he's not as strong of a runner as probably Hicks or Martin, so I'm looking forward to seeing Martin play soon, but he is a good receiver as advertised. He made a nice one-handed grab along with a few others.

The D-line. They were okay. They didn't get much push, but they held Gaskin and the running game in check. After all the media promoting how our DL is the strength, you think Peterson wouldn't have his guys ready? Even though he hasn't done anything so far, I'd like to see when Turay is ready to contribute.

Now after all this positivity, I have saved the negativity for last. I don't think Laviano needed to get pulled. When you pull people in and out, you mess with people's confidence and create QB controversies, but no doubt, he needs to improve. He should do okay on paper against Howard, but his real test will be against New Mexico, which is also a game that we really need to win. If he struggles in that game, even I (the optimist) will become frustrated. He's seems like a jack of all trades, but master of none sort of deal. He's not super fast, nor throws really hard, but he can manage the game respectably at times. The interception was pretty bad and when he runs left, he still tucks the ball in his right arm, leaving it vulnerable. Also, he still doesn't throw many deeper balls. There was always criticism for Teel and Nova when they played, but at least, they weren't afraid to sling it, even though at times they threw their fair share of interceptions. We need a QB who is capable of scrambling a little bit to buy the WR's some time, if the OL is struggling. I just wish for a QB to throw the ball long enough for the TV screen to actually pan across for once. lol.

Well, anyway for my long rant, I have attached the video. See for yourself and see if you agree. We got beat, but it's not all doom and gloom.

Solid post. I was in Husky stadium for the game and saw many of the same things. Having said that, it totally sucked traveling 3000 miles to watch us live getting our ass absolutely kicked on both sides of the ball in the 1st quarter.

Sounds about right.

I made some zoomed gifs of Muller and Applefield (both at RG) on one series in Q1

CBkzKVb.gif

v81lSIP.gif

If you can't protect up the middle, it's over.
As someone else said, Laviano needs to play better and inspire the others on the team to play better and with confidence, especially the linemen. Everything in the offense is his fault.

That was sarcasm. CL is far from perfect, and folks cited examples of other teams playing 2 QBs, like Texas. That's hilarious, because both of their QBs are 5 star QBs. Obviously, Allen has not panned out yet, Rettig is at the bottom of the depth chart, and Gio is now apparently second string. Agree with what OP said. We don't need to yo yo the QB at the whim and will of the fanbase.

I was also in the stadium and watched the team with my own eyes and taped the game so I could watch again when I got home. Unlike the OP I saw no positives on the field of play except for one which I didn't realize until I watched Houston beat Oklahoma.

This team is SLOW. Slowest squad in recent memory.
This team has no quality players at the skill,positions, except for Grant, but with no other threats he is easy to defend.
Secondary continues to be a disaster- poor coverage, bad hands ( you must make those INTs), no speed.
OL took the game off, but I think they are not a good unit anyway
QB didn't have a prayer. I would grade him Incomplete just like most of his passes.
Huskies called off the dogs in the second half so any RU improvement was very qualified. The UW coach was a perfect gentleman. They could have put up 70 or more.
To me the third play of the game was most telling. After a nice gain on the opening running play and a short run on the second, they messed up their hurry up rhythm on third down ,and called a terrible slow developing play and couldn't get the short yardage needed to sustain the drive. Then in Flood like confusion they burnt a TO. It went downhill very quickly from there.

I had taped about 5 other games, one of which was the Houston- OK game. I watched that before watching the Rutgers replay. On Houston's first possession I was immediately struck by how similar they looked to RU. Make no mistake, I'm not comparing personnel and talent. But the formations, schemes, play calls, even the way Greg Ward took the snaps looked very much like what RU was trying to do. The Hermann-Ash connection was obvious. Houston has the talent to run the offense, Rutgers doesn't yet. So, I took some comfort in the hope that we could soon have players able to perform at that level in that system.

Then I played the RU game and felt crushed all over again.

Reactions: miketd1
our o line was getting knocked five yards back
no qb is going to overcome that

I was also in the stadium and watched the team with my own eyes and taped the game so I could watch again when I got home. Unlike the OP I saw no positives on the field of play except for one which I didn't realize until I watched Houston beat Oklahoma.

This team is SLOW. Slowest squad in recent memory.
This team has no quality players at the skill,positions, except for Grant, but with no other threats he is easy to defend.
Secondary continues to be a disaster- poor coverage, bad hands ( you must make those INTs), no speed.
OL took the game off, but I think they are not a good unit anyway
QB didn't have a prayer. I would grade him Incomplete just like most of his passes.
Huskies called off the dogs in the second half so any RU improvement was very qualified. The UW coach was a perfect gentleman. They could have put up 70 or more.
To me the third play of the game was most telling. After a nice gain on the opening running play and a short run on the second, they messed up their hurry up rhythm on third down ,and called a terrible slow developing play and couldn't get the short yardage needed to sustain the drive. Then in Flood like confusion they burnt a TO. It went downhill very quickly from there.

I had taped about 5 other games, one of which was the Houston- OK game. I watched that before watching the Rutgers replay. On Houston's first possession I was immediately struck by how similar they looked to RU. Make no mistake, I'm not comparing personnel and talent. But the formations, schemes, play calls, even the way Greg Ward took the snaps looked very much like what RU was trying to do. The Hermann-Ash connection was obvious. Houston has the talent to run the offense, Rutgers doesn't yet. So, I took some comfort in the hope that we could soon have players able to perform at that level in that system.

Then I played the RU game and felt crushed all over again.

I am not going to say RU is fast, nor quibble too much with your post.

I will say the following:

1) The team does not have "no" quality players at the skill position. Hicks is certainly quality. And Grant is also - but Grant unfortunately needs to be the #2 or #3 WR to have his biggest impact. He is not a #1 receiver. Martin, though he did not play, is also a quality player at the skill position.

2) A LITTLE bit of a quibble: Laviano was able, in the end, to complete 60% of his passes (not most of them incomplete - I know you were being tongue in cheek, with a play on words). He did, however, show plenty of limitations (slow runner, 1 bad interception, 3 poorly thrown passes other than the interception, that I saw ... a missed wheel route, a missed pass near the end zone, and a long pass to Agudosi that had to be to his outside shoulder, but was to his inside shoulder).

Reactions: satnom
Sounds about right.

I made some zoomed gifs of Muller and Applefield (both at RG) on one series in Q1

CBkzKVb.gif

v81lSIP.gif

Boy that is the definition of a bad day at the office for an O lineman.

Thanks for posting the replay link. I'm through the first quarter. Absolutely incredible that Washington wasn't called for holding once. #58 was holding on almost every play. If this was our worst quarter I'm not worried about the future. There was effort and purpose.

Coach has to tell our punter and kicker to drive the returner back into midfield, and not get juked. Better to miss if he cuts inside. No way to recover against someone that fast.

Last edited:
The first thing that came to me after watching a little bit of the first quarter is how poor of a runner Goodwin is and how much slower and less elusive he is than Hicks. Goodwin straight up looks bulked up and slow.

Sounds about right.

CBkzKVb.gif

v81lSIP.gif

What the hell is Nelson doing at Center and what about coaching adjustments by Blaze. Obviously #11 is stomping a mudhole in your a$$, why not give your RG some help? Nelson doesn't do anything on either of those plays, that is not a talent issue, that is a football IQ issue and it's the coaches job to fix that.

Last edited:
What the hell is Nelson doing at Center and what about coaching adjustments by Blaze. Obviously #11 is stomping a mudhole in your a$$, why not give your RG some help? Nelson doesn't do anything on either of those plays, that is not a talent issue, that is a football IQ issue and it's the coaches job to fix that.
I don't know what to make out of the OL. They should have double teamed that guy. Instead it is 1 on 1 and there are Rutgers lineman who don't have anyone to block.

Reactions: RUMountie
People should lay off Laviano in this game. It is amazing he is still in one piece.

No...it's a talent issue. It's called "slide protection" and in both plays the center had to slide left. RGs know they have a 1-1 matchup there. They need to win it. Not football IQ, talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT