ADVERTISEMENT

RU Womens Crew ranked #1 in Sprints poll

I don't think this has ever happened but RU womens crew ranked #1 in the 1st Sprints poll receiving 7 out of 8 first place votes

**This is not the same as NCAAs but winning Sprints would be a monumental accomplishment for women's crew.

http://www.row2k.com/polls/index.cfm?cat=college&ID=755&type=Sprints League Women's Poll
Thanks for posting.

Are these the schools that will compete at the Eastern Sprints? If so, don’t Princeton, Yale and Brown still row at the Eastern Sprints? Thanks.

Thanks for posting.

Are these the schools that will compete at the Eastern Sprints? If so, don’t Princeton, Yale and Brown still row at the Eastern Sprints? Thanks.

Good question: In short they used to. The Ivy League Championships separated in 2011 away from EAWRC and has puled the Ivy schools with it. Princeton, Brown Yale, Cornell etc are not coming to both anymore and instead scheduling duals the same weekend as Sprints because they will all see each other again at the Ivy League Championships two weeks later. Radcliffe, Dartmouth and Columbia have maintained coming to both but they are not the dominant teams and its good competition for them. Rutgers and Wisconsin are apart of BIG's now which take place on Ivy Championship weekend but given their history in the sport they would probably get invites to Ivies if BIGs was not taking place. Title IX is to credit for the rise of many womens programs over the years and I think over time it has caused reorganization in the two leagues with BIGs coming into it's own as a national power. Not sure the politics at play which there are always some to go around but nonetheless it would be awesome for the ladies to walk away with medals (and beat Radcliffe-when has that ever happened).

Big race this weekend - Wisco (#12) and Princeton (#7). I think Princeton will beat us by less than a boatlength and we take Wisco.

Good question: In short they used to. The Ivy League Championships separated in 2011 away from EAWRC and has puled the Ivy schools with it. Princeton, Brown Yale, Cornell etc are not coming to both anymore and instead scheduling duals the same weekend as Sprints because they will all see each other again at the Ivy League Championships two weeks later. Radcliffe, Dartmouth and Columbia have maintained coming to both but they are not the dominant teams and its good competition for them. Rutgers and Wisconsin are apart of BIG's now which take place on Ivy Championship weekend but given their history in the sport they would probably get invites to Ivies if BIGs was not taking place. Title IX is to credit for the rise of many womens programs over the years and I think over time it has caused reorganization in the two leagues with BIGs coming into it's own as a national power. Not sure the politics at play which there are always some to go around but nonetheless it would be awesome for the ladies to walk away with medals (and beat Radcliffe-when has that ever happened).

Big race this weekend - Wisco (#12) and Princeton (#7). I think Princeton will beat us by less than a boatlength and we take Wisco.
If we beat Wisconsin we likely end up in the Top 10 and in the NCAA races. That'd be an incredible accomplishment for a program that literally did nothing for decades.

Pat really needs to do something to upgrade our rowing facilities. Any upgrades in the last two decades have been putting lipstick on a pig.

We took 3 of 6 events. I’m guessing that’s pretty good?
3 out of 6 sounds good but we came in 3rd (Princeton 1st, Wisconsin 2nd) in the race that really matters; the varsity eight. So it’s a great showing but not enough to make a difference in the rankings. The Big Ten race is really what matters, but first the Eastern Sprints.

We go into the Eastern Sprints as the favorite so let’s hope we win the Varsity eight and the overall championship.

Reactions: bigmatt718
3 out of 6 sounds good but we came in 3rd (Princeton 1st, Wisconsin 2nd) in the race that really matters; the varsity eight. So it’s a great showing but not enough to make a difference in the rankings. The Big Ten race is really what matters, but first the Eastern Sprints.

We go into the Eastern Sprints as the favorite so let’s hope we win the Varsity eight and the overall championship.

Both would be HUGE steps in a very short time.

Agreed it sounds good and I really thought we would beat Wisco in the V8. As it’s expected every year Wisco will continue to gain more speed as the season progresses because they hit the water later than everyone. I’m curious if we stack our V4 with our best 9-12 girls and then let the 2nd V8 have the remaining girls. We have a great V4 but our 2nd V8 lacks a bit of punch. Hoping we can pick up a couple seconds in technique and then gut it out during the race at BIGs to get it back at Wisco.

Excited for Eastern Sprints and hoping the girls will step up to the occasion and shut the door on Harvard. Would be huge.

Reactions: Ruthinking
If we beat Wisconsin we likely end up in the Top 10 and in the NCAA races. That'd be an incredible accomplishment for a program that literally did nothing for decades.

Just more proof of how horrible some of our coaches were for so long especially on the womens teams. Bring in a good coach and they start winning. Crew, soccer, softball, gymnastics etc. NJ has so much talent in all sports at the HS level. Go to the Schuylkill River in Philly this spring on a Saturday, you will see HUNDREDS of HS girls who are all within 60 miles of RU rowing and competing at a very high level. Look at the rosters of any women's rowing team, they are filled with girls from NJ and PA. When my daughter was in college one of her friends rowed at Old Dominion. 80% of the roster was from South Jersey.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Just more proof of how horrible some of our coaches were for so long especially on the womens teams. Bring in a good coach and they start winning. Crew, soccer, softball, gymnastics etc. NJ has so much talent in all sports at the HS level. Go to the Schuylkill River in Philly this spring on a Saturday, you will see HUNDREDS of HS girls who are all within 60 miles of RU rowing and competing at a very high level. Look at the rosters of any women's rowing team, they are filled with girls from NJ and PA. When my daughter was in college one of her friends rowed at Old Dominion. 80% of the roster was from South Jersey.
In 2 years I bet RU could be a Top 5 program in Women's Rowing.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Candidate for first RU B1G title?

Not sure if you are talking this year or not but this year it will probably be OSU>UM>Iowa>Wisco>RU>Indiana>Minny>MSU

I’m hoping we can get back at Wisco but I think we place 5th. Tough to say where we end up in the team race. UM and OSU can go either way.

Not sure if you are talking this year or not but this year it will probably be OSU>UM>Iowa>Wisco>RU>Indiana>Minny>MSU

I’m hoping we can get back at Wisco but I think we place 5th. Tough to say where we end up in the team race. UM and OSU can go either way.
5th in B1G likely gets the team to Nationals. Hopefully next year the team can jump Iowa and Wisconsin for 3rd.

5th in B1G likely gets the team to Nationals. Hopefully next year the team can jump Iowa and Wisconsin for 3rd.

The girls could be in the middle of a training block for BIGs so they could possibly taper and beat Wisco. The best teams only need to taper once for NCAA’s where our girls would need to do it a couple times which is a bit more difficult on the body to peak. We as expected won our heats but hopefully have more than enough in the gas tank for later. Lane assignment is crucial if you get any cross wind on that lake.

Reactions: 17Q66 and fredRU93
Thinking next year ... other than WSoccer, could crew be in the conversation?

Nope. The Sprints win will have people talking about it, but it's not a serious consideration yet.
We're still not even in the top half of the Big Ten, and our facilities and rowing budgets are still a joke compared to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. - but the key takeaway should be that Pat Hobbs took this program seriously. He made a good coaching hire in Justin Price, and turned around one of the NCAA's most moribund crews in a very short period of time.

Last edited:
Nope. The Sprints win will have people talking about it, but it's not a serious consideration yet.
We're still not even in the top half of the Big Ten, and our facilities and rowing budgets are still a joke compared to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. - but the key takeaway should be that Pat Hobbs took this program seriously. He made a good coaching hire in Justin Price, and turned around one of the NCAA's most moribund crews in a very short period of time.

Ur spot on.

The wild part is people refuse to give this guy credit and repeatedly hold football against him. He’s made some great hires in a short period and it’s paid dividends. People don’t notice how well our women’s programs have done this year. W Soccer and Field hockey were ranked most of the season and made the NCAAs. W Basketball was solid and top three in Big10. Gymnastics was much improved and broke numerous scoring records. W - L weren’t there but that’s coming for sure. She’s an excellent coach. Softball and crew have had excellent seasons as well. Greatly improved over the last few seasons. Solid coaching hires is the theme here. The potential for WLax is intriguing as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT