ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors that game(s) early in season could be cancelled/rescheduled

No information here, but I can say that waiting can have major financial or logistical implications. I'm sure they will wait as long as they can.

But with the one to three million deaths predicted here how can anyone care about football?

Oh god another rumor which is completely crap. There is no way in hell that the social separation continues beyond a month or a little. Financially the country will crash economically if it does. At some point we all well have to get back to normal business and protect and separate the elder people from the rest of the public until this is over. We may all have this virus at some point and not even know. Those that have symptoms mostly recover. If we can figure out a long term plan to protect the older people until a shot or cure is available when can have much smaller population to protect.

In general , I find that to be a poor management action . Those types of managers often wait too late and are reactive to problems.
@T2Kplus10 has been fading the severity and seriousness of this since mid February in many threads. He has been wrong the entire time.

with that said I agree with him here that cancelling fall sports is just silly talk now and while I’m sure some sort of contingency/cancellation plan is being discussed just to get ahead of it, the powers to be are at least 2-3 months away from making any such determination or public announcement and it will be based on what the universities decide to do in allowing students on their campuses.

basically if the schools start deciding to delay the start of their In class semesters to later in the fall, the football season hence wil need to be either cancelled or pushed back.

Last edited:
Oh god another rumor which is completely crap. There is no way in hell that the social separation continues beyond a month or a little. Financially the country will crash economically if it does. At some point we all well have to get back to normal business and protect and separate the elder people from the rest of the public until this is over. We may all have this virus at some point and not even know. Those that have symptoms mostly recover. If we can figure out a long term plan to protect the older people until a shot or cure is available when can have much smaller population to protect.
Again, this has nothing to do with the overall economy, or how fast restaurants open and whether you can go to the gym. First, the campuses would have to reopen, and while I have no special insight into Rutgers athletics, I do have friends working at numerous universities who tell me that it is no guarantee that the virtual campuses do not extend into the fall. 2nd, even if the campuses open there is a question as to whether we will be at the point where the states allow large crowds to gather in a stadium. Unlike the pros, the colleges will not play games in closed stadiums, not happening. So yes, I am against unfounded rumors, but only a fool thinks fall college football is a certainty at this point in time.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Again, this has nothing to do with the overall economy, or how fast restaurants open and whether you can go to the gym. First, the campuses would have to reopen, and while I have no special insight into Rutgers athletics, I do have friends working at numerous universities who tell me that it is not a guarantee that the virtual campuses do not extend into the fall. 2nd, even if the campuses open there is a question as to whether we will be at the point where the states allow large crowds to gather in a stadium. Unlike the pros, the colleges will not play games in closed stadiums, not happening. So yes, I am against unfounded rumors, but only a fool thinks fall college football is a certainty at this point in time.
So if this is not under control 6 months from now your biggest worry is football? If businesses are shut down down there well be a complete collapse of the worldwide economy. It will make The Depression look like a bull market. At some point we need to come up with a different plan of everyone staying home 24/7

So if this is not under control 6 months from now your biggest worry is football? If businesses are shut down down there well be a complete collapse of the worldwide economy. It will make The Depression look like a bull market. At some point we need to come up with a different plan of everyone staying home 24/7
Never said that, I specifically stated business could be back online, but the campuses might still be operating virtually, or if they are open, large gatherings of tens of thousands of people could still be banned in most states.

Never said that, I specifically stated business could be back online, but the campuses might still be operating virtually, or if they are open, large gatherings of tens of thousands of people could still be banned in most states.
Why if businesses are open why would they ban large crowds? This isn't a large crowd issue especially outdoors. This is a virus that is spread in small groups and is transmitted exponentially from there. A stadium full of people is safer then a office with a 100 people crammed inside an office. A can't even remotely come to your backwards thinking

Reactions: newell138
Why if businesses are open why would they ban large crowds? This isn't a large crowd issue especially outdoors. This is a virus that is spread in small groups and is transmitted exponentially from there. A stadium full of people is safer then a office with a 100 people crammed inside an office. A can't even remotely come to your backwards thinking
Seriously? Oh my, I don't have the time to explain to you how universities function, the economy works at different levels, or the complex interactions that occur among people during the course of a college game day at a major university. Have a great night, stay healthy, and God Bless!!

Seriously? Oh my, I don't have the time to explain to you how universities function, the economy works at different levels, or the complex interactions that occur among people during the course of a college game day at a major university. Have a great night, stay healthy, and God Bless!!
Before you go to bed please explain how many college students have died worldwide from this.

Unlike the pros, the colleges will not play games in closed stadiums, not happening.

Why not? Most college sports are watched by ~noone anyway. It makes MORE sense for college teams to play in closed stadiums than pro ones.

Why not? Most college sports are watched by ~noone anyway. It makes MORE sense for college teams to play in closed stadiums than pro ones.
These aren't pro athletes, the games will not be played without allowing students, alumni, and fans to attend. The game day $s means more to colleges than pros. Not happening.

These aren't pro athletes, the games will not be played without allowing students, alumni, and fans to attend. The game day $s means more to colleges than pros. Not happening.

Your post makes the opposite of sense.

They are not pro athletes, that's exactly why they would play for the athletic competition itself and not for the fans, students, or alumni.

Not a single fan ever attended one of my high school golf matches.

Also, if they cancel the game they also don't get the gameday $.

Seriously, these posts couldn't make less sense if you tried.

They are not pro athletes, that's exactly why they would play for the athletic competition itself and not for the fans, students, or alumni.

Don't try. You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I know folks are trying to be helpful but we really don't need rumors being spread. Really not helpful. Thanks.
I was at Shoprite today and a lady tells me the Natioal Guards are going to lockdown Teaneck within the hour. Her daughter texted her saying she saw it on Facebook. For the first time i openly questioned someone's common sense to her face. I told her to stop spreading rumors. She cursed at me and I said I'll take it over being dumb.:Angry

Where in the world is the OP getting this from. We are far away from making a decision like that

lead staff writer from the wolverine says it is in discussion because without spring football there is concern players won’t be ready. Nothing decided for sure obviously but being considered

Reactions: Doctor Worm
lead staff writer from the wolverine says it is in discussion because without spring football there is concern players won’t be ready. Nothing decided for sure obviously but being considered
Very fair point. To say that there are "rumors" of partial or total season cancellation is way premature. But I am absolutely certain that contingency planning is taking place. Big difference between the two.

I heard a rumor that Rutgers is going to sell out every game next year because we are going to be back to normal by May and due to cabin fever everyone is going to buy tickets for every game.

Reactions: RutgersRockies

Again, you can't make some of these posts up, they must by jokes from very bored individuals. Now we have someone comparing a USC/Texas/Florida etc.,football game to HS golf. LOL!!! People, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State,or any other P5 program are not playing football games if the campus is closed and/or to closed stadiums. OMG, really?

they are smart to contigency plan but they are nowhere near the deciding stages and would never make a decision anytime in the near future

Again, you can't make some of these posts up, they must by jokes from very bored individuals. Now we have someone comparing a USC/Texas/Florida etc.,football game to HS golf. LOL!!! People, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State,or any other P5 program are not playing football games if the campus is closed and/or to closed stadiums. OMG, really?

The NCAA was literally planning to play the entire tournament sans spectators like one week ago lol

The NCAA was literally planning to play the entire tournament sans spectators like one week ago lol
it didn’t happen though did it? Season was already under way and they wanted to bank the money. Yes, the TV money will be enticing, but college football is more than just the game, it is all the pomp and circumstance. Let’s just play if out and see what develops, hopefully everything including college life is back to normal in the fall.

This is America ...We All Love Sports ...it brings a wonderful diversion to our daily hectic lives...most men , woman and children love this aspect of our society...now we have to put It aside for a brief while...Rutgers football will be back even if the season is delayed or in a worse case cancelled...My wish is for all Americans to get through this healthy , including the athletes who play on those fields and give us angst sometimes but joy many other times.GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it didn’t happen though did it? Season was already under way and they wanted to bank the money. Yes, the TV money will be enticing, but college football is more than just the game, it is all the pomp and circumstance. Let’s just play if out and see what develops, hopefully everything including college life is back to normal in the fall.

It didn't happen because literally everything got cancelled. I mean, look, if students aren't allowed on campus I agree they won't be playing, but if the Universities are open but large crowds are banned I would almost guarantee they would play in empty stadiums.

It's bizarre that you think a college football game couldn't be played without "pomp and circumstance" while other college athletes in other sports are playing their games without that all the time.

Also, do you think the networks and conferences that have TV contracts for billions of dollars are going to cancel games just because you can't go watch in person? If school is open and there are not safety concerns about travel or the actual playing of the game, they will play fans or not.

Of all the reasons...LOL

(not at you)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT