ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers’ Corey Sanders talks Adidas Nations, NBA dreams

Agree with Piscataway Mike and BKin118. Actually, I kind of wish I hadn't read that article. Still a big CS fan and thrilled he is back this year. I'll be rooting for him to have the big year he wants and getting RU over .500 for the first time since I can remember.

Really ? So, you know he's going to play selfish and get benched. Got any stock picks for me ?

Its just a hunch. Hey, I hope I am wrong. I don't want to be unfair to him, but the writing is on the wall. Corey needs to look honestly at himself, and make the most serious commitment he has ever made in his life if he wants to get to the NBA. Without honesty, and a drastic change in approach, it ain't gonna happen.

The way to do that is by being up here with his team, not by being in FL every minute he can get away. I hope he gets it done, but I would be lying if I said I thought it would happen. I'm done on the topic. I really don't want to bad mouth anyone.

When hoping his attitude/work ethic improve, let's just remember Corey idolizes Allen Iverson, a man still getting suspended in his 40s for not showing up to events he's getting paid for.

I idolize Allen Iverson too. Really reaching with this one.

He was probably the most naturally gifted player of his generation. Not everyone can skate by as he did.

From all I've read and seen about Iverson (including a book, articles, and documentaries), it's pretty well documented that he just had a pretty natural feel for all sports - not just speed/quickness etc but actual natural skill and coordination for it. Additionally, from all those sources it is also pretty clear that, with exception of maybe his time at Georgetown, he rarely practiced and would show up when he felt like it (often drunk), but was so good people stopped asking more of him. So that's what I mean by skate by.

If you follow him on Twitter, along with Vinny Vetrone and their crew...the sense of entitlement is astounding. Making millions as a baller/rapper/whatever is inevitable, a foregone conclusion. Bacon getting paid was just the capper. Hope Corey can stay eligible for the season bc he certainly doesn't care about school if he doesn't care about his team.

They are 18 years old. Lakeland is a tough place in some ways. These kids have been working very hard to get where they are. Perfect?No. Just like me or you. But they are still growing up. Let's hold back on judging them like they are 40 years old. They have worked hard to become better ball players. They are decent, young people.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
They are 18 years old. Lakeland is a tough place in some ways. These kids have been working very hard to get where they are. Perfect?No. Just like me or you. But they are still growing up. Let's hold back on judging them like they are 40 years old. They have worked hard to become better ball players. They are decent, young people.

Great post Higgins. People love to judge others...I get the sense that you don't like it and I absolutely hate it.

Great post Higgins. People love to judge others...I get the sense that you don't like it and I absolutely hate it.

Choppin, the big point is that no one is perfect,correct?I go from there. A lot of these kids have battled through high levels of adversity. They should be praised. But also not critiqued like they are adults. The majority of people on this forum are 40+ and the players are 17-21. No reason to cast harsh judgement.

I never implied they weren't decent people at all. Just that they act like they've already put in all the hard work they need to at 20 years old and they are "destined" to play in the league. I hope Corey is a star at the next level, but I think its entirely fair to criticize some of the responses in this article. The lack of a team first mentality is troublesome...we have seen it before.

I never implied they weren't decent people at all. Just that they act like they've already put in all the hard work they need to at 20 years old and they are "destined" to play in the league. I hope Corey is a star at the next level, but I think its entirely fair to criticize some of the responses in this article. The lack of a team first mentality is troublesome...we have seen it before.

I understand now.But I just see a lot of harsh criticism of young people these days. Still a lot of time to grow, and some are not even twenty years old. Sanders has led RU to some great wins. Now after seeing his friend make it, he is pushing himself harder. I think it will ultimately benefit the team, but I do not think he will leave RU with many great friendships, seeing he is away quite a bit. Part of me is pretty certain Sanders is not here after this year. It may be best for himself, and the team.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
I understand now.But I just see a lot of harsh criticism of young people these days. Still a lot of time to grow, and some are not even twenty years old. Sanders has led RU to some great wins. Now after seeing his friend make it, he is pushing himself harder. I think it will ultimately benefit the team, but I do not think he will leave RU with many great friendships, seeing he is away quite a bit. Part of me is pretty certain Sanders is not here after this year. It may be best for himself, and the team.
Yeah I would say no matter what this is his last year. Will play pro ball somewhere and start getting paid.

Reactions: higgins3
I'm not sure I follow you. What Soundcrib said is on the money. I watched it for three years here in Florida. Sanders followed Bacon everywhere until Dwayne went to Oak Hill.

Dwyane was drafted but only one team invited Corey to workout. Realizing that he wouldn't be drafted he came back to school.

Corey needs to stop focusing on what is going on with Dwayne and focus on himself. Go to class and go to the gym. Work on his weaknesses, play to his strengths, and ask someone in the athletic department to coach him on interviews

I agree with Russ' take. Corey sounds like a kid focused on the wrong things and listening to the wrong people right now. He's got all the talent to become an NBA player, now is the time to work on his weaknesses using the support system of his coaches, teammates, and the Rutgers community. His improvements will shine through and help the team along the way. As fans and fellow alums I think we should cut the negative responses and give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him lots of luck in getting there.

Is anyone really surprised by what they read in the article. Look this is what we got and signed up for when Eddie landed Sanders. Everybody knew it and this has been going on the whole time he has been here.....there is alot of truth in what Sanders says about "how good the team" is. At the end of the day we are better off with Corey than without so as fans we need to swallow these comments

Corey needs to understand that he was as responsible for our lack of success as anyone. If he could have shot better (both from the filed and the line) we would have won a few more games. Corey needs to look in the mirror before calling his own team a sorry team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT