ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Classes Canceled Thursday Onward

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Spring break starts Friday March 14th. Students told not to come back after Spring break.

Rutgers will cancel classes Thursday, March 12, through the end of spring break, Sunday, March 22. Beginning on Monday, March 23, course instruction will be delivered remotely.
For the latest COVID-19 information visit coronavirus.rutgers.edu
Members of the Rutgers Community:
Fostering a healthy community in New Jersey is core to the mission of our University. While at this time we are not aware of any confirmed cases of COVID-19 in our community, we have been closely tracking its spread across our region. We have an imperative to do what we can to slow the spread of this serious virus and protect those who are most vulnerable. This is a difficult and extraordinary situation, and I recognize that people throughout our community are concerned for their personal health and that of their families and friends.
To that end, and with thanks to all members of our community who have taken steps to help us prepare, I am announcing that Rutgers University is taking the actions listed below. We do not undertake any of these changes without careful consideration of the hardships and inconvenience that they may impose. Thank you for your patience and your understanding, as together we navigate this challenging situation.
Classroom instruction at Rutgers – Camden, Newark and New Brunswick
  • Beginning Thursday, March 12, through the end of spring break on Sunday, March 22, all classes are canceled.
  • Beginning Monday, March 23, through at least Friday, April 3, all course instruction will be delivered remotely. All face-to-face instruction is suspended. This includes any class meetings.
  • Individual instructors are expected to be in contact with their students regarding their plans for remote instruction prior to March 23.
Instruction at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
  • Courses at RBHS will continue as scheduled.
  • Beginning Monday, March 16, all RBHS classes with more than 15 participants will be provided remotely. RBHS deans from the relevant schools will be in touch with students regarding more detailed plans for remote instruction.
  • Please note there will be no change to clinical rotations and clinical instruction.
Campus activities
  • Students living in residence halls should leave campus as soon as possible. Students are strongly encouraged to remain off campus through April 3. The University understands that leaving campus may not be possible or prudent for everyone, and we encourage anyone with concerns to contact the student housing office on your campus.
  • Beginning Thursday, March 12, Rutgers events and in-person meetings involving groups larger than 15 participants are cancelled through April 15. Guidance related to this policy will be reviewed again by April 1.
  • Groups with events scheduled after April 15 are urged to begin considering alternative plans in case future events will need to be cancelled or postponed.
  • No new non-essential events should be scheduled until further notice.
  • Athletic directors are instructed to follow the guidance of their respective athletic conferences.
Travel
  • We strongly suggest that all members of the Rutgers community reconsider any upcoming domestic travel, especially to areas where there has been a significant incidence of COVID-19.
  • All Rutgers-led international spring break programs are canceled.
  • All students in third-party study abroad programs are strongly encouraged to return.
  • All international travel sponsored by Rutgers is suspended.
  • Any member of our community returning from a country designated Level 3 by the CDC is required to self-isolate for 14 days before returning to campus.
Faculty and Staff
  • University offices, labs and services will remain open during this time period.
  • Employees are strongly encouraged to use teleconference services, such as Webex, in lieu of in-person meetings.
  • Guidance from University Human Resources will be forthcoming advising staff on appropriate telecommuting practices, employee leave management and related workplace questions.
  • Specific guidance for healthcare workers who have direct contact with patients will be forthcoming from the Executive Vice President of Health Affairs.
  • Please take steps to protect your health and the health of your coworkers by following guidance on prevention and care. If you feel unwell, please stay home.
The COVID-19 Task Force continues to monitor this situation and is updating guidance daily. Further details will be coming from each chancellor. Expansive guidance for the University community can be found at coronavirus.rutgers.edu. I ask that every make it point to regularly visit the website to stay current on Rutgers-related advisories.
I urge you to remember that the most important steps you can take are self-care. I thank you again for your patience as we navigate this dynamic and complex situation.
Sincerely,
Robert Barchi

Last edited:
Yes, I posted this yesterday. Now it's official, but students were being told by professors already.

My youngest is coming home tomorrow from Fordham Law. Fordham has suspended all activities on all campuses, effective 1PM yesterday.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Is there an official announcement of this? Thanks

Rutgers will cancel classes Thursday, March 12, through the end of spring break, Sunday, March 22. Beginning on Monday, March 23, course instruction will be delivered remotely.
For the latest COVID-19 information visit coronavirus.rutgers.edu
Members of the Rutgers Community:
Fostering a healthy community in New Jersey is core to the mission of our University. While at this time we are not aware of any confirmed cases of COVID-19 in our community, we have been closely tracking its spread across our region. We have an imperative to do what we can to slow the spread of this serious virus and protect those who are most vulnerable. This is a difficult and extraordinary situation, and I recognize that people throughout our community are concerned for their personal health and that of their families and friends.
To that end, and with thanks to all members of our community who have taken steps to help us prepare, I am announcing that Rutgers University is taking the actions listed below. We do not undertake any of these changes without careful consideration of the hardships and inconvenience that they may impose. Thank you for your patience and your understanding, as together we navigate this challenging situation.
Classroom instruction at Rutgers – Camden, Newark and New Brunswick
  • Beginning Thursday, March 12, through the end of spring break on Sunday, March 22, all classes are canceled.
  • Beginning Monday, March 23, through at least Friday, April 3, all course instruction will be delivered remotely. All face-to-face instruction is suspended. This includes any class meetings.
  • Individual instructors are expected to be in contact with their students regarding their plans for remote instruction prior to March 23.
Instruction at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
  • Courses at RBHS will continue as scheduled.
  • Beginning Monday, March 16, all RBHS classes with more than 15 participants will be provided remotely. RBHS deans from the relevant schools will be in touch with students regarding more detailed plans for remote instruction.
  • Please note there will be no change to clinical rotations and clinical instruction.
Campus activities
  • Students living in residence halls should leave campus as soon as possible. Students are strongly encouraged to remain off campus through April 3. The University understands that leaving campus may not be possible or prudent for everyone, and we encourage anyone with concerns to contact the student housing office on your campus.
  • Beginning Thursday, March 12, Rutgers events and in-person meetings involving groups larger than 15 participants are cancelled through April 15. Guidance related to this policy will be reviewed again by April 1.
  • Groups with events scheduled after April 15 are urged to begin considering alternative plans in case future events will need to be cancelled or postponed.
  • No new non-essential events should be scheduled until further notice.
  • Athletic directors are instructed to follow the guidance of their respective athletic conferences.
Travel
  • We strongly suggest that all members of the Rutgers community reconsider any upcoming domestic travel, especially to areas where there has been a significant incidence of COVID-19.
  • All Rutgers-led international spring break programs are canceled.
  • All students in third-party study abroad programs are strongly encouraged to return.
  • All international travel sponsored by Rutgers is suspended.
  • Any member of our community returning from a country designated Level 3 by the CDC is required to self-isolate for 14 days before returning to campus.
Faculty and Staff
  • University offices, labs and services will remain open during this time period.
  • Employees are strongly encouraged to use teleconference services, such as Webex, in lieu of in-person meetings.
  • Guidance from University Human Resources will be forthcoming advising staff on appropriate telecommuting practices, employee leave management and related workplace questions.
  • Specific guidance for healthcare workers who have direct contact with patients will be forthcoming from the Executive Vice President of Health Affairs.
  • Please take steps to protect your health and the health of your coworkers by following guidance on prevention and care. If you feel unwell, please stay home.
The COVID-19 Task Force continues to monitor this situation and is updating guidance daily. Further details will be coming from each chancellor. Expansive guidance for the University community can be found at coronavirus.rutgers.edu. I ask that every make it point to regularly visit the website to stay current on Rutgers-related advisories.
I urge you to remember that the most important steps you can take are self-care. I thank you again for your patience as we navigate this dynamic and complex situation.
Sincerely,
Robert Barchi

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
There are RUMORS of a provisional positive test in RWJ in NB.

There are RUMORS of a provisional positive test in RWJ in NB.
I saw 2 people in Middlesex county are being tested but it didn't list anything further.

When Corona was first announced weeks ago I saw plenty of masks on campus. This died out the last couple weeks and has been back in full force the last few days. Looks pretty stupid but it's a scary thought too

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I saw 2 people in Middlesex county are being tested but it didn't list anything further.

When Corona was first announced weeks ago I saw plenty of masks on campus. This died out the last couple weeks and has been back in full force the last few days. Looks pretty stupid but it's a scary thought too

Heard through the grapevine (wife/friends in medical school at RWJ) that two cases have been confirmed by the RWJ lab, but not the CDC (yet).

hearing some NJ elementary schools are closing with no known cases close to them....No snow days this year, maybe teachers looking to get a few days off. Wouldn't be surprised if you see this with companies, public and private. I saw a post above about colleges not going back.

Mass hysteria - I guess the theory is you are want to be ahead of things but the truth is this is doing more bad than good.

Mass hysteria - I guess the theory is you are want to be ahead of things but the truth is this is doing more bad than good.

yes and watch the dominoes fall...all colleges...all K-12 schools, all pre schools, all day care and then all retails. You cant put the genie back in the bottle, once it happens its done. So these decisions are the catalyst for the whole thing to get burned down which means we are headed for 2-3 months of the country fully shutting down. Get your ammo and start boarding up your house..not joking

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This has become the biggest overreaction to anything I have seen in my lifetime. It is mind-boggling how stupid people are over this coronavirus. In all of China, the worst effected country of coronavirus 1 person has died who was under the age of 20. Last time I checked a total of 2 people under the age of 30 have died from this... IN CHINA. For god's sake people need to stop freaking out. This is becoming as bad as the Aids pandemic in the 80's where people thought they could catch Aids from someone infected breathing on them... Yes it really is THAT dumb

I'm meeting with my staff today here in New Zealand to see how we can deliver instruction if our campus is shut down. That is pretty unlikely right now as we only have a handful of cases confirmed in New Zealand.

It's important to understand that universities are uniquely good locations for widespread dispersion of a virus. Students are in close quarters during the week, and then go home or other locales on the weekend. On break, they head out to all sorts of places. And in the college of education, students are going out to schools and then back to the university. Ask any elementary school teacher you know about the spread of the flu.

This precautionary move by Rutgers seems pretty sensible to me.

I work in an elementary school and they are making preparations to close soon. For how long, I don’t know but teaching students remotely is being floated around.

yes and watch the dominoes fall...all colleges...all K-12 schools, all pre schools, all day care and then all retails. You cant put the genie back in the bottle, once it happens its done. So these decisions are the catalyst for the whole thing to get burned down which means we are headed for 2-3 months of the country fully shutting down. Get your ammo and start boarding up your house..not joking

How is this going to lead to people shooting each other?

This has become the biggest overreaction to anything I have seen in my lifetime. It is mind-boggling how stupid people are over this coronavirus. In all of China, the worst effected country of coronavirus 1 person has died who was under the age of 20. Last time I checked a total of 2 people under the age of 30 have died from this... IN CHINA. For god's sake people need to stop freaking out. This is becoming as bad as the Aids pandemic in the 80's where people thought they could catch Aids from someone infected breathing on them... Yes it really is THAT dumb

Are you under the impression that China didn't institute widespread quarantines?

Isn't the question what it would have looked like if they hadn't basically shut down the country? Sure young people seem fine, but if it just spread at a level equal to the flu you're looking at millions dead. Maybe it wouldn't spread like the flu, but it sure as hell looks like it would.

Are you under the impression that China didn't institute widespread quarantines?
The countries that had large amounts of this hit have basically decided to shut down everything to stop the spread. I have no particular insight into disease, but I figure that they wouldn't decide to shut down whole countries on a whim.

These Universities are going to only hurt themselves when students realize how easy it is to take classes online.

How is this going to lead to people shooting each other?

because once all schools including day cares shut down, its going to start shutting every business down right after the supplies are emptied. Then its fend for yourself...if this doesnt happen, it likely means the virus was not as deadly as initially feared

because once all schools including day cares shut down, its going to start shutting every business down right after the supplies are emptied. Then its fend for yourself...if this doesnt happen, it likely means the virus was not as deadly as initially feared

Now who's being alarmist?

I'm meeting with my staff today here in New Zealand to see how we can deliver instruction if our campus is shut down. That is pretty unlikely right now as we only have a handful of cases confirmed in New Zealand.

It's important to understand that universities are uniquely good locations for widespread dispersion of a virus. Students are in close quarters during the week, and then go home or other locales on the weekend. On break, they head out to all sorts of places. And in the college of education, students are going out to schools and then back to the university. Ask any elementary school teacher you know about the spread of the flu.

This precautionary move by Rutgers seems pretty sensible to me.
Then rutgers needs to shut down driving cars on campus because statistically you have a FAR greater chance of being killed or injured by an automobile than Coronavirus. In fact let's just replace football with Sarcastaball in true Randy Marsh fashion!

Now who's being alarmist?

well me..but I dont think its going to be half assed, hard to contain panic, the closing of universities are the first domino, when it hits elementary schools well that effects every family and that is when the panic starts.

PS: I'm not saying every single measure being taken is smart and correct. Closing down schools for cleaning and sanitizing does nothing. Grinnell College shutting down is stupid, the students are already pretty well quarantined in a small midwestern town without a major airport.

But stuff like playing the NCAA tournament without spectators and shutting down large universities in dense population areas with major travel points nearby... that stuff makes sense.

Quarantines or not 3 friggan people total under the age of 30 have died from this... That really is next to nothing in the scope of things, it's a blip on the radar, a pebble on an otherwsise smooth surface, it is nothing to worry about. Genuinely the ONLY people that should have any concern whatsover are people over 70 with pre0existing medical conditions and even they can simply wash their hands well and all but eliminate any risk of this virus. The fact that the media is not clarifying the ages of the deaths is driving me insane as now you have people worried about their kids getting this disease that there is a 0.2% chance of them dying from even if they do catch it. Guess what, 1 out of 1,000 cases of pnumonia also result in death. It's an absurd overreaction that's being fueled by a media that genuinely is trying to crash the economy to make Trump look bad (As a Bernie supporter who hates corruption and remembers what the DNC did back in 2016). It's soo obvious what is happening but people are buying into the hype.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Quarantines or not 3 friggan people total under the age of 30 have died from this... That really is next to nothing in the scope of things, it's a blip on the radar, a pebble on an otherwsise smooth surface, it is nothing to worry about. Genuinely the ONLY people that should have any concern whatsover are people over 70 with pre0existing medical conditions and even they can simply wash their hands well and all but eliminate any risk of this virus. The fact that the media is not clarifying the ages of the deaths is driving me insane as now you have people worried about their kids getting this disease that there is a 0.2% chance of them dying from even if they do catch it. Guess what, 1 out of 1,000 cases of pnumonia also result in death. It's an absurd overreaction that's being fueled by a media that genuinely is trying to crash the economy to make Trump look bad (As a Bernie supporter who hates corruption and remembers what the DNC did back in 2016). It's soo obvious what is happening but people are buying into the hype.

What about people over the age of 30? Why are you drawing a line? Do you not care about anyone over 30?

Also, you should really, really learn how to spell stuff.

If anything they should shut down for the flu which is more deadly to more people

Two things that everyone who things every action taken regarding COVID-19 is an overreaction are missing are the following. One, social isolation can help limit the spread and keep our healthcare system. This graph has been going around an explains the need to slow the spread

9nDC50El-gHfivr6aKgZYxWf4ymER_URy15IK5f4ss0.png

Two as a healthy person under a certain age, you are not cancelling your event or travel or conference because of yourself - but because of the more vulnerable people who will suffer if you become a vector. Personally for me I have family that are immunocompromised (CF) and my mother as well as my aunts and uncles are 75+.

Actions like this from Rutgers and other schools help both of the above.

Isn't the question what it would have looked like if they hadn't basically shut down the country? Sure young people seem fine, but if it just spread at a level equal to the flu you're looking at millions dead. Maybe it wouldn't spread like the flu, but it sure as hell looks like it would.

This is completely false. Not even remotely the case
What about people over the age of 30? Why are you drawing a line? Do you not care about anyone over 30?

Also, you should really, really learn how to spell stuff.
Fine, of you are under the age of 60 statistically you have less than a 1% chance of dying from Coronavirus. Those are the facts. The number rises over 70 and again over 80 but guess what? That's the case with ANY virus. Old people die, it happens all the time. bt freaking out and shutting down schools over something that has killed a grand total of 5 people in the entire country under the age of 70 is completely absurd. There isn't a word in the English language strong enough to describe how completely and utterly retarded that way of thinking is. It's hands down the single dumbest public event I have ever experienced. It's like Jussi Smollett level dumb thinking.

This is completely false. Not even remotely the case

Fine, of you are under the age of 60 statistically you have less than a 1% chance of dying from Coronavirus. Those are the facts. The number rises over 70 and again over 80 but guess what? That's the case with ANY virus. Old people die, it happens all the time. bt freaking out and shutting down schools over something that has killed a grand total of 5 people in the entire country under the age of 70 is completely absurd. There isn't a word in the English language strong enough to describe how completely and utterly retarded that way of thinking is. It's hands down the single dumbest public event I have ever experienced. It's like Jussi Smollett level dumb thinking.

So your logic is that we should undertake no measures to contain an outbreak that is double-digit fatal to people over age 70 because "old people die."

You're a f*ckin' moron. Seriously. Please go play in traffic and do the gene pool a favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT