ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Classes Canceled Thursday Onward

That's how you do statistics?

You don't have a diploma from anywhere.

Perhaps someone like @RU848789, who is possessed of infinitely more patience than I, would be willing to tutor you.

I'll try, since I've written most of these sections in previous posts here and on FB...

Holy crap, that's a lifetime's worth of stupid by @yessir321 in one thread. So much misleading crap posted it's not funny. The bottom line for everyone is that SARS-CoV2 has a significantly greater transmission rate than influenza (R-naught is 2-3 vs. about 1.3 for the flu) and has significantly greater mortality (and I'll get to this in a second) and hospitalization rates than influenza, such that if we treated it like the flu, i.e., did essentially nothing, we'd see many more deaths than the 30-60K we have each year in the US (and more hospitalizations).

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/study-highlights-ease-spread-covid-19-viruses

Fortunately, we have epidemiologists and infectious disease scientists who actually know stuff, which is why every country in the world, including even the US, despite head-in-the-sand morons downplaying this, is taking moderate to very aggressive steps to contain the burgeoning outbreaks in order to greatly reduce transmission rates (since mortality rates are mostly constant, until and unless we get some medical treatment breakthroughs - and vaccines aren't "treatment" - they're only prevention and we won't have any until at least next winter), so that the actual outcomes aren't worse than the flu or even that close, if we do this right.

So, let's talk about mortality rates. Yes, the overall currently reported mortality rates of 2-5% are inflated, because the denominator of total infections is not well known in most countries, largely due to far from comprehensive testing. A much more likely eventual mortality rate is about 0.5-1.0%, based on the ~0.7% seen so far in South Korea, where they've tested 10X more people than anyone and close to 1000X more people (per capita) than the US. Even at 0.5% that's 2.5-5X the average overall influenza mortality rate of 0.1-0.2% (depending on severity that season) worldwide and at 1.0% that would be 5-10X the mortality rate of influenza. Those are the mutlipliers (or more we'd likely see if we did nothing at all). Also, the mortality rate on that floating coronavirus experiment, the Diamond Princess, showed an overall mortality rate of about 1% (close to the SK number and the number postulated in the link below), with all the deaths being in those over 80.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/0...wRWmsoZJ8PHkgyHu6WDNkDwVRsvZ-cdQZd-pV2OwP6PQ0

Now let's talk about age group mortality rates. The best data on that is still from China, given how large and long lasting their outbreak has been - of course these might be a bit high vs. "true" mortality rates, when compared to SK, assuming SK has close to the "true" rates, as the overall rate in China has been reported to be anywhere from 1.4-3.4% but they're at least illustrative.

Older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%, whereas it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69, 1.3% for 50 to 59, 0.4% for those 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. Even if these were cut by half or by 2/3, they're still well beyond what we see for influenza, where mortality rates in those over 65 is about 1% of those infected and is about 0.02% for those under 40, giving the overall rate of 0.1-0.2%.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Finally, given the ongoing pandemic, what do we do about it? Well, as I've posted several times, I think the answer lies in South Korea. The most important element of their programs is that they've been testing like crazy (over 190,000 tests so far vs. about 7500 confirmed cases) and practicing effective social distancing/self-quarantining (but not in full lockdown); in addition, finding out positive cases early on means both better treatment outcomes and self-quarantining of infected people, greatly reducing transmission rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...hundreds-of-thousands-to-fight-virus-outbreak
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Without such testing, as has largely been the case here, there are likely many infected, but asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people walking around taking no precautions and infecting other people, some of whom are likely in much higher risk age/condition groups - so even though people under 40 are unlikely to be seriously impacted, they can still have a large impact by simply being carriers, especially since the median incubation time from infection to symptoms is 5 days - hence the need for testing and social distancing.

And while SK has 7500 cases, most of that originated early on when travel from China was not restricted. However, recently, the case rate is decreasing, plus their mortality rate is much lower than anywhere else (0.7% vs. 2-5% elsewhere), partly because of early identification/treatment and partly because the denominator is likely close to the real denominator, since they're finding mildly symptomatic people others aren't - and in fact the "true" mortality rate is probably close to SK's, but that's impossible to know without a lot more testing in these other countries.

Unfortunately, the US is not taking SK's approach, having completely bungled testing, which continues. It's unconscionable - this lack of testing is putting us at real risk of an Italy-style outbreak, especially in highly densely populated areas like DC to Boston, including NJ/NY, obviously.

Once again, this is not influenza - it's much more dangerous, even if the outcomes, worldwide end up showing far less deaths than influenza, due to countries realizing the risks and implementing interventions to reduce transmission rates, since "true" mortality rates should be a constant.

One more thing. We also don't know yet if this will be seasonal, like the flu and die down in spring - one would think it should be, given virus sensitivity to heat/UV and increased humidity reducing transmission rates (more effective mucus and less "travel"/resuspension in air of viruses when it's humid) and less people being confined from the cold. However, SARS petered out before spring and MERS started in September in Saudi Arabia, so we don't know the seasonal behavior of those coronaviruses.

As an aside, I'd love to know what's going on in Germany. 1457 cases and only 2 deaths (0.1-0.2% mortality rate). Data problem, weird outlier, lack of reporting?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/...show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storyline_menu

Last edited:
The 2020 flu shot is quadrivalent, which means it contains components of 4 different influenza viruses.

The point here is that they're all influenza viruses. None of them are coronaviruses.

Whether you could produce an effective vaccine therapy that combines components of influenza and corona remains to be seen.

And it's "DipTet". Is in "Diptheria, Tetanus (and Whooping Cough)."

I know - another "typo", right?
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/dtap.html
I also sell dTap to Hospitals, I'm quite aware of the spelling

Sorry for the OT but...
I made new friends..he liked my hair haha. Ok, back to the original discussion
mDq47R3.jpg
I like spotty the best. How could you eat him ?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/dtap.html
I also sell dTap to Hospitals, I'm quite aware of the spelling

Ohhhhhh... right.... because you have "extensive medical training". I remember you saying that in another thread.

I'm confused, though. All the pharma reps I've ever known (and it's a lot of them, because they're on the road a lot and the high-end business hotels are lousy with 'em) are hot chicks - and a lot of them are kinda slutty.

So what's your deal?

You do understand that the "Flu Shot" protects against more than simply influenza right? Ever gotten an MMR shot? (measles-mumps-rubella). dTap is another common combination vaccine. It's very plausible that next years flu shot will contain a coronavirus vaccine. Or you can simply buy a can of Lysol and take it everywhere with you as it is literally written on the back that it kills coronavirus
There's no way the vaccines will be combined, as that will take separate clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy and there's no way anyone wants to complicate speeding a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine to market by doing that. Secondly Lysol? Really? Are you going to spray it into your mouth, nose and eyes every time you think you came in contact with the virus, since breathing in sneezes/coughs and even breath is, by far the most common route of infection? Not sure I'll go back and hammer you on all of your mistakes in this thread, but figured this one was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Eat him?!!!!!???!!!
I haven't eaten anything with a mother since I was 15. That little rascal was teasing all the other animals. It was hysterical.
Great to hear. He's so cute.
My vegan daughter and my own personal compass has turned me into a 95% meatless consumer. I can't even look a fish in the eye. Nearly down to just chickens and Turkeys. I'm a food wimp now at 61. .

Reactions: Jm0513
So - NY mobilized the national guard.

That feels like we’ve crossed a line re enforcement.

hearing some NJ elementary schools are closing with no known cases close to them....No snow days this year, maybe teachers looking to get a few days off. Wouldn't be surprised if you see this with companies, public and private. I saw a post above about colleges not going back.
Kids are at low risk from this virus for reasons unknown, but they're incredibly efficient virus machines, as they can still get infected and remain asymptomatic and spread the virus widely, including to their parents and very vulnerable granparents. Who don't seem to be getting much sympathy from some posters. That's why you close schools and keep the kids inside. Better yet, we should quarantine them in the schools, so they don't come home and infect people (that's only a slight joke, as it would be a much better control).

"It is an absurd overreaction that's being fueled by a media that genuinely is trying to crash the economy to make Trump look bad."

"There is no doubt that it will be available to the public by the early part of last year."

"Nice to see your burner account 4Real."

And I really didn't have to look very hard.

So if you and @RU4Real are the same person, as per the CE board, you're also my uncle, does that mean 4Real is also my uncle?

Wait until all the student's families start to see how little the students actually need to pay for all the other parts of "higher education". Just a computer and class fees? Bad news for all of the big colleges and their endowments.

Reactions: rutino and LC-88
There's no way the vaccines will be combined, as that will take separate clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy and there's no way anyone wants to complicate speeding a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine to market by doing that. Secondly Lysol? Really? Are you going to spray it into your mouth, nose and eyes every time you think you came in contact with the virus, since breathing in sneezes/coughs and even breath is, by far the most common route of infection? Not sure I'll go back and hammer you on all of your mistakes in this thread, but figured this one was like shooting fish in a barrel.
Yes really Lysol. It is written on the back of a lysol can, spray it on any area you touch (for those concerned) and yes, it will kill any surface infected with coronavirus. I'm not kidding, look at the back of a lysol can, it's written right there!

Yes really Lysol. It is written on the back of a lysol can, spray it on any area you touch (for those concerned) and yes, it will kill any surface infected with coronavirus. I'm not kidding, look at the back of a lysol can, it's written right there!
I see it(can they print it any smaller?) but what are you saying? You can't spray that on your body.

I'll try, since I've written most of these sections in previous posts here and on FB...

Holy crap, that's a lifetime's worth of stupid by @yessir321 in one thread. So much misleading crap posted it's not funny. The bottom line for everyone is that SARS-CoV2 has a significantly greater transmission rate than influenza (R-naught is 2-3 vs. about 1.3 for the flu) and has significantly greater mortality (and I'll get to this in a second) and hospitalization rates than influenza, such that if we treated it like the flu, i.e., did essentially nothing, we'd see many more deaths than the 30-60K we have each year in the US (and more hospitalizations).

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/study-highlights-ease-spread-covid-19-viruses

Fortunately, we have epidemiologists and infectious disease scientists who actually know stuff, which is why every country in the world, including even the US, despite head-in-the-sand morons downplaying this, is taking moderate to very aggressive steps to contain the burgeoning outbreaks in order to greatly reduce transmission rates (since mortality rates are mostly constant, until and unless we get some medical treatment breakthroughs - and vaccines aren't "treatment" - they're only prevention and we won't have any until at least next winter), so that the actual outcomes aren't worse than the flu or even that close, if we do this right.

So, let's talk about mortality rates. Yes, the overall currently reported mortality rates of 2-5% are inflated, because the denominator of total infections is not well known in most countries, largely due to far from comprehensive testing. A much more likely eventual mortality rate is about 0.5-1.0%, based on the ~0.7% seen so far in South Korea, where they've tested 10X more people than anyone and close to 1000X more people (per capita) than the US. Even at 0.5% that's 2.5-5X the average overall influenza mortality rate of 0.1-0.2% (depending on severity that season) worldwide and at 1.0% that would be 5-10X the mortality rate of influenza. Those are the mutlipliers (or more we'd likely see if we did nothing at all). Also, the mortality rate on that floating coronavirus experiment, the Diamond Princess, showed an overall mortality rate of about 1% (close to the SK number and the number postulated in the link below), with all the deaths being in those over 80.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/0...wRWmsoZJ8PHkgyHu6WDNkDwVRsvZ-cdQZd-pV2OwP6PQ0

Now let's talk about age group mortality rates. The best data on that is still from China, given how large and long lasting their outbreak has been - of course these might be a bit high vs. "true" mortality rates, when compared to SK, assuming SK has close to the "true" rates, as the overall rate in China has been reported to be anywhere from 1.4-3.4% but they're at least illustrative.

Older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%, whereas it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69, 1.3% for 50 to 59, 0.4% for those 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. Even if these were cut by half or by 2/3, they're still well beyond what we see for influenza, where mortality rates in those over 65 is about 1% of those infected and is about 0.02% for those under 40, giving the overall rate of 0.1-0.2%.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Finally, given the ongoing pandemic, what do we do about it? Well, as I've posted several times, I think the answer lies in South Korea. The most important element of their programs is that they've been testing like crazy (over 190,000 tests so far vs. about 7500 confirmed cases) and practicing effective social distancing/self-quarantining (but not in full lockdown); in addition, finding out positive cases early on means both better treatment outcomes and self-quarantining of infected people, greatly reducing transmission rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...hundreds-of-thousands-to-fight-virus-outbreak
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Without such testing, as has largely been the case here, there are likely many infected, but asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people walking around taking no precautions and infecting other people, some of whom are likely in much higher risk age/condition groups - so even though people under 40 are unlikely to be seriously impacted, they can still have a large impact by simply being carriers, especially since the median incubation time from infection to symptoms is 5 days - hence the need for testing and social distancing.

And while SK has 7500 cases, most of that originated early on when travel from China was not restricted. However, recently, the case rate is decreasing, plus their mortality rate is much lower than anywhere else (0.7% vs. 2-5% elsewhere), partly because of early identification/treatment and partly because the denominator is likely close to the real denominator, since they're finding mildly symptomatic people others aren't - and in fact the "true" mortality rate is probably close to SK's, but that's impossible to know without a lot more testing in these other countries.

Unfortunately, the US is not taking SK's approach, having completely bungled testing, which continues. It's unconscionable - this lack of testing is putting us at real risk of an Italy-style outbreak, especially in highly densely populated areas like DC to Boston, including NJ/NY, obviously.

Once again, this is not influenza - it's much more dangerous, even if the outcomes, worldwide end up showing far less deaths than influenza, due to countries realizing the risks and implementing interventions to reduce transmission rates, since "true" mortality rates should be a constant.

One more thing. We also don't know yet if this will be seasonal, like the flu and die down in spring - one would think it should be, given virus sensitivity to heat/UV and increased humidity reducing transmission rates (more effective mucus and less "travel"/resuspension in air of viruses when it's humid) and less people being confined from the cold. However, SARS petered out before spring and MERS started in September in Saudi Arabia, so we don't know the seasonal behavior of those coronaviruses.

As an aside, I'd love to know what's going on in Germany. 1457 cases and only 2 deaths (0.1-0.2% mortality rate). Data problem, weird outlier, lack of reporting?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/...show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storyline_menu
So understand that I compared the mortality and contageos levels of coronavirus the measles... not the common flu. I don't disagree that it's more contageous and deadlier than the common flu. That's a no brainer.

My whole point throughout this is the mass hysteria that is occurring throughout the country is completely overblown. We may disagree on that and that's fine, we're allowed to disagree. For me we are talking about a virus that a vaccine will assuredly be available next year and the virus was first discovered in this country 50 days ago. In those 50 days there are less than 750 total documented cases of coronavirus and only 27 of them resulted in death. Furthermore of the 27 people that have died the majority of them were over 80 years old so clearly their immune systems are not as strong.

IMO the public freakout over something that currently has a 3.7% mortality rate (based on 27 deaths in 712 confirmed cases, source below) and the mortality rate for those under 70 drops substantially, to levels similar to the common flu. That's all I'm saying.

Admittedly I am personally irked by this as I have an insane future mother in law who is devastating my bride by threatening to not get on an airplane and fly across the country for our wedding. All over a stupid virus that realistically most of us will never know a person who even had the virus let alone die from it. The public freakout has torn me up as I truly believe that a year from now no one will care about coronavirus

Ohhhhhh... right.... because you have "extensive medical training". I remember you saying that in another thread.

I'm confused, though. All the pharma reps I've ever known (and it's a lot of them, because they're on the road a lot and the high-end business hotels are lousy with 'em) are hot chicks - and a lot of them are kinda slutty.

So what's your deal?
Never said I had extensive training. That never was written. what I said was I work in the medical field, which I do. Then you got upset because I had an answer to each of your concerns over this ridiculous virus and when you finally ran out of excuses you went to the old "Ped State Troll!" like a desperate snail getting salt poured over top of it. I'd like to shake your hand at a game this year. I will be up for Michigan weekend playing the disc golf tournament at the old rutgers course but I will be happy to make time to meet you face to face!

I see it(can they print it any smaller?) but what are you saying? You can't spray that on your body.
any surface like a desk or door handle for those that are this concerned. Personally I have no fear whatsoever of this virus, fly out of BWI on Friday and would encourage people to cough on me, lol. Probably not the smartest decision however I'm 30 with no pre-existing medical issues besides a bum knee and I know that the odds of this killing me are 0%.

This post is why you're wrong and dumb. Dems and Reps are coming together to create fake diseases in other countries so maybe they spread here in the states? How does that work genius?
What are you talking about? When did I ever call this virus fake? What I am saying is the media coverage and public freakout over this is completely absurd to me. My own theory is simply that the media controls the narrative and the media hates trump. The idea that the Dow Jones dropped by 5000 points in a little over a week (although it did have a nice little rebound today) over a virus that has killed a total of 27 people in the country over the last 50 days is completely absurd. Like doesn't make logical sense absurd, especially when last year you had over 1200 cases of measles spread across 31 states and measles is FAR more dangerous to people than Coronavirus and imo had a far greater risk, and there was never this kind of public attention and freakout... So what's different about this year? ELECTION YEAR

What are you talking about? When did I ever call this virus fake? What I am saying is the media coverage and public freakout over this is completely absurd to me. My own theory is simply that the media controls the narrative and the media hates trump. The idea that the Dow Jones dropped by 5000 points in a little over a week (although it did have a nice little rebound today) over a virus that has killed a total of 27 people in the country over the last 50 days is completely absurd. Like doesn't make logical sense absurd, especially when last year you had over 1200 cases of measles spread across 31 states and measles is FAR more dangerous to people than Coronavirus and imo had a far greater risk, and there was never this kind of public attention and freakout... So what's different about this year? ELECTION YEAR

You said every election year the media does this. Does the media do this only to hurt Trump or Repubs? I take back you saying fake. If it is every election why does the "liberal media" do this during a Dem in presidency?

I think the concern is what is "reasonable control measures" and what is just insanity. And wouldn't your and everybody else's compromised family be at the same risk every year from flu?

My asthma and cough has been so bad lately I can't go out in public cause I'm freaking everyone out everytime I cough. I'm thinking of wearing a big sign round my neck.." Don't Worry. I'm just unable to breath. Carry On"

Well about the flu, ...

Also, the for the flu the elderly and even some immunocompromised people can get shots. Also people who interact with them can get shots to help develop herd immunity and limit the spread. It's not all about death rates though, as the graph I link to in my earlier post suggest if we don't limit the peak cases now, the health system will be overrun with cases. This will cause a burden for everyone that needs to be in the hospital for other non flu related issues.

There was already a test case for this 100 years ago in Philadelphia and St. Louis.

any surface like a desk or door handle for those that are this concerned. Personally I have no fear whatsoever of this virus, fly out of BWI on Friday and would encourage people to cough on me, lol. Probably not the smartest decision however I'm 30 with no pre-existing medical issues besides a bum knee and I know that the odds of this killing me are 0%.

It's posts like these that make me realize our society's future is utterly hopeless.

Well about the flu, ...

Also, the for the flu the elderly and even some immunocompromised people can get shots. Also people who interact with them can get shots to help develop herd immunity and limit the spread. It's not all about death rates though, as the graph I link to in my earlier post suggest if we don't limit the peak cases now, the health system will be overrun with cases. This will cause a burden for everyone that needs to be in the hospital for other non flu related issues.

There was already a test case for this 100 years ago in Philadelphia and St. Louis.
Great post - was just about to post the Farr's Law GIF - hope this works - shows how interventions are required to keep the infection rate below the health care "capacity" rate - same as the graphic you showed, except it's animated - hope it copies properly...

89747507_2578504049098856_5940999875670835200_n.gif

What were you like around Y2K?

I know that you are just posting this to troll and argue with RU4real, but can we stop with saying there was an undue panic around Y2K. I was working my first job out of Rutgers in the software industry at that time. You know why nothing happened then? There was a crapload of money, time and resources spent solving the problem. Mainframes where patched/replaced, companies brought new servers, millions of lines of code were rewritten and replaced. A ton of redundancies where put into place.

All that preparatory work and it helped to make sure our lives went on so smoothly that people now think that nothing would have happened if nothing was done.

Hmm... if only we could learn some lesson from that.

Well about the flu, ...

Yes, so there again is that % increase example on a almost non existent number. 35 times higher!!!! Omg...that's 2 people per 100. Just like everyone talking about stock market point swings when the market is near 30,000 vs 3000. Its totally opposite.
You don't talk points when the basis is that high and you don't talk percent when the basis is that low. Smart leaders and reporters should know that.
Lastly. I'm not buying a 100 year old model of 1920 in 2020. Society and conditions are just so different.
Of course limiting exposure has benefits. Zero debate. The question is ..is it really worth going thru all of this for whatever benefit it yields.
I can tell you how this is gonna go...if nothing catostophic happens....50% will say..." See it was all for nothing" and the other 50% will say " see, if we hadn't done it".

I know that you are just posting this to troll and argue with RU4real, but can we stop with saying there was an undue panic around Y2K. I was working my first job out of Rutgers in the software industry at that time. You know why nothing happened then? There was a crapload of money, time and resources spent solving the problem. Mainframes where patched/replaced, companies brought new servers, millions of lines of code were rewritten and replaced. A ton of redundancies where put into place.

All that preparatory work and it helped to make sure our lives went on so smoothly that people now think that nothing would have happened if nothing was done.

Hmm... if only we could learn some lesson from that.
Great point. I started my IT career in the early 80’s. Y2K came around and the panic caused everyone to rethink what they were doing. Result- pre Y2K billions spent on it...prep for Y2K - billions spent on it. Y2K- came and went. “See, no reason to worry”
The billions spent to prevent, made it a non issue. If that was not done- who the F knows when we would have recovered from it.
Y2K is a perfect example as to why to attack it now...preventative

Last edited:
Based on the age you just listed while demonstrating zero understanding of how being a carrier can impact the ones around you (or maybe you just don't care), I'm the same age as you.
I understand the impact of being a carrier I do, I also understand the fact that in 50 days a grand total of 27 people have died. I just have a different opinion on the matter that all. I do not believe it is what it's being hyped up to be. I do not believe it is enough of a threat that schools and businesses should be shut down the way they are. What's going on in Italy right now with business shut down is going to destroy their economy. I worry about that happening here. And yes, I do believe that the survival of economic health in the united states is more important than staying inside to prevent maybe another 300 deaths nationwide. My thoughts alone but my thoughts

I'm meeting with my staff today here in New Zealand to see how we can deliver instruction if our campus is shut down. That is pretty unlikely right now as we only have a handful of cases confirmed in New Zealand.

It's important to understand that universities are uniquely good locations for widespread dispersion of a virus. Students are in close quarters during the week, and then go home or other locales on the weekend. On break, they head out to all sorts of places. And in the college of education, students are going out to schools and then back to the university. Ask any elementary school teacher you know about the spread of the flu.

This precautionary move by Rutgers seems pretty sensible to me.

Which university do you work for in NZ? I was just there for 3 weeks on the South Island and when we landed at SFO, we weren't even checked for the virus like it appeared that some others were, especially those coming from East Asia, which at that point - Feb. 27 - still had the preponderant share of all cases.

Wonderful country, by the way. We had a great time.

I know what Lysol is. Your main problem is you don't actually read and understand what other people say. You don't necessarily need Lysol to kill viruses. Any alcohol will do that as will warm, soapy water, but that's irrelevant to what I said. The point is viruses on surfaces being transferred to someone's hand and then to the eyes/nose/mouth is a very minor transmission pathway, as, by far, the most common pathway is person to person transmission via cough, sneeze or even fairly close in breathing as per the link I provided. So sanitizing surfaces will only do a little to slow transmission rates - only people staying away from people will work. That's it (short of putting people in full hazmat suits with supplied breathing air).

Which university do you work for in NZ? I was just there for 3 weeks on the South Island and when we landed at SFO, we weren't even checked for the virus like it appeared that some others were, especially those coming from East Asia, which at that point - Feb. 27 - still had the preponderant share of all cases.

Wonderful country, by the way. We had a great time.
University of Otago in Dunedin. I'm Dean of the College of Ed here. NZ's amazing, isn't it?!

So understand that I compared the mortality and contageos levels of coronavirus the measles... not the common flu. I don't disagree that it's more contageous and deadlier than the common flu. That's a no brainer.

My whole point throughout this is the mass hysteria that is occurring throughout the country is completely overblown. We may disagree on that and that's fine, we're allowed to disagree. For me we are talking about a virus that a vaccine will assuredly be available next year and the virus was first discovered in this country 50 days ago. In those 50 days there are less than 750 total documented cases of coronavirus and only 27 of them resulted in death. Furthermore of the 27 people that have died the majority of them were over 80 years old so clearly their immune systems are not as strong.

IMO the public freakout over something that currently has a 3.7% mortality rate (based on 27 deaths in 712 confirmed cases, source below) and the mortality rate for those under 70 drops substantially, to levels similar to the common flu. That's all I'm saying.

Admittedly I am personally irked by this as I have an insane future mother in law who is devastating my bride by threatening to not get on an airplane and fly across the country for our wedding. All over a stupid virus that realistically most of us will never know a person who even had the virus let alone die from it. The public freakout has torn me up as I truly believe that a year from now no one will care about coronavirus

You mentioned the flu and car accidents; didn't even notice measles. What you don't understand is that if we did nothing with regard to aggressive testing and social distancing and treated it like the flu (for which we do very little other than vaccinate some people), which you seem to find so distasteful, then we'd potentially see 5-10X the 30-60K deaths we see in a regular flu season, which is also way more than the 40K car accident deaths you cited. Plus, we'd completely overwhelm the health care system, especially ICU units, as the serious infection/hospitalization rate is much greater than for the flu.

I don't find that acceptable in the least, even if the vast majority of those deaths (75-90%?) are in people over 65. Fortunately, we have some smart people who won't let that happen, but so far we're not executing it very well (testing bungled badly and poorly coordinated preparations/social distancing steps), which means we're more likely to evolve like the Italy mess than the more benign example of South Korea. You can say whatever you want about the media coverage, but on the science, I'm right and you need to open your eyes and try to understand this.

It sucks that your wedding might be impacted, but everyone is going to be inconvenienced by this for awhile and some will get very sick and some will die, which really sucks. Also, while you are unlikely to suffer major impacts from this you do realize that you could easily become a carrier who infects many other people, some of whom won't be so lucky, don't you? Do you really want that to happen? I'd like to see us becoming much more proactive on testing and social distancing, so that maybe we can keep US deaths to <1000, however, I think we'll go well above that level if we don't start being more proactive soon.

Duke and UCLA just cancelled classes

actually too many schools to list them all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT